What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

I just picked up a tomahawk for our last trip and I love it. Solid construction, works the way it should, easy to install, and way cheaper than thule or yakima. The rockymounts stuff is good.

I didn't get locks with mine and I kinda wish I had, just because I could then lock up the cover plate that goes over the bolts which hold the rack to the crossbar.

Thanks for the input. I snagged 2 of the BK's, ended up slightly over $300 shipped for the pair.

This is the seller if anybody else was shopping for these, says they have 7 of each left. 5% off if you buy more than one also.

BK, $150

Tomahawk, $125

How do you safely buy stuff on pinkbike ?

Any of you guys have a 12sp GX 10-50, or XX1/XO1 10-52 cassettes for sale?

BIL showed up with a carbon full squish and a pugsley fat bike. We going riding.

The full squish was hard for me because I’m used to a 29x3 which doesn’t track or get pushed around by rocks at all. Those little tires are easily pushed

BIL showed up with a carbon full squish and a pugsley fat bike. We going riding.

The full squish was hard for me because I’m used to a 29x3 which doesn’t track or get pushed around by rocks at all. Those little tires are easily pushed

got to hit them with more speed and hang off the back wheel.

5181F2F5-0303-4811-A097-3DE5CE8ACBED.jpeg

14 miles 2000’ elevation climb.

Got out on the ebike for the first time this year. Ugh, I greatly misjudged my athletic ability :laughing:

18 miles, 2700' of climbing. The last 5 miles I had to cheat and have the bike in boost mode (still have to pedal, but it does most of the work) as my legs were cramping bad

Easy bit of trail, most of it was very rocky

20220814_143322.jpg

Spent the weekend stressing out over what parts to get for upgrades and to get my shit together on the new bike. Was initially going to switch to TRP DHR Evos, but the $700 or so switch from SRAM was killing my budget. Also wasn't sure if I could get the parts or not I'm a timely manner. Plus all the fiddly bits and making sure everything fits together was too much.

Local shop has a set of Code RSCs in stock so I just went with those, the Galfer rear rotor I already picked up and just keep my front 220 rotor. Probably upgrade that to a Galfer down the road if I like the rear set up.

Also got a PNW Loam dropper/lever on sale, OneUp carbon bar and bike yoke stem all on sale! Hopefully with not going crazy with stuff and selling used stuff I've got enough left over for new wheels. Thinking about sole Nobl carbon on Hope hubs. :smokin:

Spent the weekend stressing out over what parts to get for upgrades and to get my shit together on the new bike. Was initially going to switch to TRP DHR Evos, but the $700 or so switch from SRAM was killing my budget. Also wasn't sure if I could get the parts or not I'm a timely manner. Plus all the fiddly bits and making sure everything fits together was too much.

Local shop has a set of Code RSCs in stock so I just went with those, the Galfer rear rotor I already picked up and just keep my front 220 rotor. Probably upgrade that to a Galfer down the road if I like the rear set up.

Also got a PNW Loam dropper/lever on sale, OneUp carbon bar and bike yoke stem all on sale! Hopefully with not going crazy with stuff and selling used stuff I've got enough left over for new wheels. Thinking about sole Nobl carbon on Hope hubs. :smokin:
Really like my Galfer rotors (203 in the rear and 223 on the front for both my main bikes).

And LOVE my OneUp bars! Rode all day yesterday at a DH park and as usual those bars just really ate up the vibrations. Son runs NOBL 37 wheels on his main trail bike with I9 Hydra hubs and they are fantastic!

So I’m looking at 130 to 140 mm full suspension bikes. Looking at like a Santa Cruz epic or a spark. Specialized maybe but no one local has one at the moment.

Any suggestions

Last edited:
So I’m looking at 130 to 140 mm full suspension bikes. Looking at like a Santa Cruz epic or a spark. Specialized maybe but no one local has one at the moment.

Any suggestions
Ibis Ripmo AF (for longer travel: 160 mm front, 147 mm rear):

Ibis Ripley AF (for shorter travel: 130 mm front, 120 rear):

....would have to be on my list (albeit on the higher side of your range [full-builds]).

1500-3500
That's a wiiiide range. 3500 gets you a lot on the used market.

My friend just bought a 2014 Ibis Ripley with carbon everything on Pinkbike for $1500. It was a great deal after seeing it in person. I'd shop there and see what you can find unless you just want something brand new

Not exactly mountain bike related, but I stumbled upon this guys YT channel and have found myself watching way too many of his videos. Pretty entertaining to see how shitty some of these high priced road bikes are, Hambini is one funny dude to boot :laughing:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Hambini/videos

Hambini is hilarious. He got into a pissing match with some company that makes replacement derailleur cages with oversize jockey wheels and ceramic bearings. He disproved their claims and they got mad.

Any suggestions
Santa Cruz Hightower
Intense Primer
Transition Spur punches above its travel
I've been impressed with Norco's offerings lately. Maybe check out the Norco Fluid.

Also, not sure where you're riding, but I generally like to have a little more travel and slacker head angle because it's more versatile in places like lift assisted riding or gnarly downhills. I found I really like 150 - 170 mm of travel for most of my bikes.

Intense Primer
That reminds me....these may be a great cost=range option:

Oh yeah, almost forgot about intense's costco bike. The 951 Trails are re-badged primers. My buddy's wife has one and loves it. I think they ended up upgrading the fork to a nicer version of the 36, but everything else they left stock.

Was that what I peddled around on at lake McClure? If so it was the best fitting/riding bike ive been on. Not that it really says a lot.

Top Back Refresh