What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

I take my kids minimalist camping once a year. It gets more minimal every year. Now you clowns advised me to get a bike and I looked and had all the lightweight camp gear. So I think... lets do both :idea:. time will tell if I enjoy it or not. I'll try it to see. I'll be in TN the next 4 years so maybe we can try it
That will be awesome. Just like ebikes, or downhill bikes, or fatbikes on the snow, bikepacking is a different type of fun and everyone should try all of them at least once.

I take my kids minimalist camping once a year. It gets more minimal every year. Now you clowns advised me to get a bike and I looked and had all the lightweight camp gear. So I think... lets do both :idea:. time will tell if I enjoy it or not. I'll try it to see. I'll be in TN the next 4 years so maybe we can try it
Doesn't Tennessee have some good mountain biking? You should get a full squish bike too :flipoff2:

:lmao::lmao::lmao: As if any of those companies could build a bike that climbs and descends as good as a Yeti.....
why worry about climbing if i have a chair lift. lol
Doesn't Tennessee have some good mountain biking? You should get a full squish bike too :flipoff2:
Ill report back soon, my friend from washington just moved there and we are going to visit soon

why worry about climbing if i have a chair lift. lol

Ill report back soon, my friend from washington just moved there and we are going to visit soon
Dunno which part of TN, but in the Knoxville area:

Reading some of these posts has me window shopping parts to get my 2008 Specialized Enduro back to operational again. Single 32t chainring, 11 speed conversion.

It has been years since it was used properly, same goes for my el cheapo road bike.

Reading some of these posts has me window shopping parts to get my 2008 Specialized Enduro back to operational again. Single 32t chainring, 11 speed conversion.

It has been years since it was used properly, same goes for my el cheapo road bike.
Hell ya! I have my 09 enduro and love riding it still. It's my back up bike but still tons of fun

Dunno which part of TN, but in the Knoxville area:

Chattanooga area. Windrock sounds cool because my buddy has a 4500 ultra 4 car that he is finishing up and dirtbikes. By my wife and i are going to check out the area from Ashville to Knoxville

Chattanooga area. Windrock sounds cool because my buddy has a 4500 ultra 4 car that he is finishing up and dirtbikes. By my wife and i are going to check out the area from Ashville to Knoxville
Raccoon Mtn is a good trail system on the west side of Chattanooga

Be warned it's a slippery slope. I did the same.

Got some old 26'ers going that had been sitting for 15 years.

Then bought a Ripmo....

Now piecing together a steel hardtail spending 3X more on components than a complete build would have cost that my mid 40's broken body probably can't even ride anymore....

Be warned it's a slippery slope. I did the same.

Got some old 26'ers going that had been sitting for 15 years.

Then bought a Ripmo....

Now piecing together a steel hardtail spending 3X more on components than a complete build would have cost that my mid 40's broken body probably can't even ride anymore....
I hear that. Like the bike so am willing to toss a few $$ into it. Then I better ride it, lots.
Before I consider getting something newer…

PXL_20220810_223723470.jpg
PXL_20220811_020851411.jpg

PXL_20220811_020857205.jpg

New bike day! Climbs like a damn goat, goes down like a leopard! :flipoff2:

Brakes are pretty fucky at the moment and I need to get the suspension dialed in more. Got a 600# spring for it today before the first ride, not actually sure I needed that much even at my mass. Probably going to pick up an air shock for it for general riding and swap the coil for park. Reach seems short for a large at 490mm, slammed the seat forward when I swapped it over and I think I need to push it back a bit.

What's the best dropper? I'm fucking tired of these POS reverbs with the rotating seat feature.

What's the best dropper? I'm fucking tired of these POS reverbs with the rotating seat feature.
Reverbs are awesome until you have to work on them.

I have a Fox transfer and you can put that down on the don't buy list. Unless you like pulling it up with your knees every 12 rides or so and having to take it apart, clean and lube.

We use PNW exclusively on our builds here (son's and my numerous bikes). Good value for the money, and they all seem to just work well.

My transfer posts have been flawless for years.
Mine sucked right out of the box. Halfway through the first ride i was pulling it up with my knees. Made sure to go easy on seat tube clamp bolt too.

10/10 if it would just keep performing, maybe I need to just figure out the best lube for it. Tried T9 once to get it working in a pinch and then slick honey which seems to be lasting longer. Shouldn't have to do any of this for what I paid for it.

My transfer posts have been flawless for years.

Mine sucked right out of the box. Halfway through the first ride i was pulling it up with my knees. Made sure to go easy on seat tube clamp bolt too.

10/10 if it would just keep performing, maybe I need to just figure out the best lube for it. Tried T9 once to get it working in a pinch and then slick honey which seems to be lasting longer. Shouldn't have to do any of this for what I paid for it.
My black transfer that came on my carbine lasted 3 years with zero maintenance, same for my wife with an identical bike. The kashima version on my tazer lasted about 9 months before it would extend all the way back up without me grabbing it and giving it a little pop.

A few other friends have had issues with their fancy kashima posts not going all the way up. Dunno if they're built different or what, but they seem to have more issues.

Shopping for a roof rack, have my eyes on a Rockymounts brass knuckles. Other than the dumb name, any cons to this rack? My ebike is right at the weight limit of it but I haven't seen any other roof racks with a higher rating (45 lbs)

There is a seller on ebay has a few Knuckles and the Tomahawks for a decent discount due to damaged packaging so hoping to snag a pair soon unless they are total crap.

Shopping for a roof rack, have my eyes on a Rockymounts brass knuckles. Other than the dumb name, any thing cons to this rack?

There is a seller on ebay has a few Knuckles and the Tomahawks for a decent discount due to damaged packaging so hoping to snag a pair soon unless they are total crap.
I just picked up a tomahawk for our last trip and I love it. Solid construction, works the way it should, easy to install, and way cheaper than thule or yakima. The rockymounts stuff is good.

I didn't get locks with mine and I kinda wish I had, just because I could then lock up the cover plate that goes over the bolts which hold the rack to the crossbar.

My black transfer that came on my carbine lasted 3 years with zero maintenance, same for my wife with an identical bike. The kashima version on my tazer lasted about 9 months before it would extend all the way back up without me grabbing it and giving it a little pop.

A few other friends have had issues with their fancy kashima posts not going all the way up. Dunno if they're built different or what, but they seem to have more issues.
Shoot mine's the black version too, I don't have kashima $$$. I'm stuck with it due to my frame's seat tube height and Fox being the only 150mm I can get away with. Oh well it is liveable with a little maintenance, I am just being picky

The lube that has worked really well on the stanchions for our posts has been 80W90 gear oil. A few drops around the seal, cycle it up and down a few times. Works great! Seriously.

New bike day! Climbs like a damn goat, goes down like a leopard! :flipoff2:

the numbers look so good on those, but my mind cant handled the cranks being that far back from the downtube

had a PNW before that was great. on my scout i had a reverb that last about a year, just swapped it out with another PNW.

the numbers look so good on those, but my mind cant handled the cranks being that far back from the downtube
I was looking at that. Crazy far back. I suppose it makes for a very steep virtual seat tube angle. Bet it climbs really well, yes?

My Enduro has a pretty far set back BB, but it's not as visually obvious as that Knolly.

I was looking at that. Crazy far back. I suppose it makes for a very steep virtual seat tube angle. Bet it climbs really well, yes?

My Enduro has a pretty far set back BB, but it's not as visually obvious as that Knolly.
Yup climbs really well, outstanding traction, very confidence inspiring downhill. Actually kinda crazy how well it climbs! If I'd have adjusted the seat properly I think I might've gotten a PR uphill.

Brakes that came on it are hot garbage juice though, trying to decide if I just get Code RSC levers or ditch the whole system and go TRP.

Reach feels oddly short for a bike that's supposed to be at 490mm. :smokin:

Yup climbs really well, outstanding traction, very confidence inspiring downhill. Actually kinda crazy how well it climbs! If I'd have adjusted the seat properly I think I might've gotten a PR uphill.

Brakes that came on it are hot garbage juice though, trying to decide if I just get Code RSC levers or ditch the whole system and go TRP.

Reach feels oddly short for a bike that's supposed to be at 490mm. :smokin:
Nice! My Enduro is the same. Climbs surprisingly well for its 170mm of rear travel (even though I HATE climbing).

Good luck on the brakes. I just use SLX 4 pistons on my bikes. What I know and like.

Enjoy!

Top Back Refresh