What's new

The Mountain Bike Thread

1661526072898.png

Headed to Whistler at some point today!

I say at some point because I would've been on the road already, but now the wife and munchkin are rolling out too. Hopefully they let me over the border....:emb2:

Our trails are completely unsupported by any local entity. The most regular riders just knock out trail work as we can. Last weekend we had to move a bridge over to a less collapsed section of the trail. It took about 10-15 people to lift it out and scoot it over about 50’.

Last night I rode in with 40’ of used conveyer belt to pave the new exit, which is too sandy be very durable.

Swampland problems.

60DAC88C-A9AE-4665-B5C5-B121EACCCDBA.jpeg

C6175DBB-FA15-4338-96D4-B0DB4FB41C22.jpeg

so how was it
Fucking amazing! Can't wait to go back and ride more there. Ended up meeting up with people from my riding group that were there randomly. Watched one of my group send it off a huge rock roll. Should've taken more pictures but I was too focused on riding. I'd say most trails there are one difficulty level up from Washington trails. I heard Squamish was more like two, but didn't get a chance to ride there.

This is about a 35' rock roll/dive. When you're looking down from the top you can't see the middle just the bottom. One of our guys sent it :smokin:
Screenshot_20220829-084614.png

PXL_20220827_173657937.jpg

PXL_20220827_221714581.jpg

PXL_20220827_221725820.jpg

Totally worth the cost of going. :smokin:

so i have a distain for ebikes, dude rolls up on me last week on a full e-dirtbike. i handled the shituation horribly and was a complete jerk (i kinda feel bad) but he got all wound up when i told him to keep his dirtbike off the trails. bro it had pegs, its a dirtbike

so i have a distain for ebikes, dude rolls up on me last week on a full e-dirtbike. i handled the shituation horribly and was a complete jerk (i kinda feel bad) but he got all wound up when i told him to keep his dirtbike off the trails. bro it had pegs, its a dirtbike
Meh, a regular ebike with a strong rider puts out about the same power as a top 100 Tour rider. It's not tearing up the trails any more than my fat timid ass is up or down. :flipoff2:

An electric dirt bike is another matter, you'd probably get your shit jumped for that and the bike thrown off the trail if you ran into the wrong group in the trail around here.... Bikers are thankfully more mellow than surfers, but there's limits! :laughing:

Horses for courses. I'm gonna buy one of those soon, but I'll be using it to follow my kids around the mini bike track at the local ohv park.

They're such a fawked up grey area right now. My buddy has a coworker who has been absolutely ripping one in local traffic(he showed me a go pro vid). The dude is splitting lanes on surface streets at 40, then hopping the curb and wheeling the local rec trail past roadies then back across wood chips and grass and onto the street again. People like that are going to get more laws created.

Meanwhile I top out at 18 on my ebike and anything after that is huffing and puffing just like a regular pedal bike

1661875618412.png

2 tips for the saddle bag riders. learn from my losses
1. zip tie the bag to the seat or post, so when the velcro fails you don't lose it
2. use something to hold the zipper closed, a small caribener or something.

I've learned both things the hard way, don't copy me :homer: Still missing a tubeless plug kit, Crank Bros M19 tool, and some other random crap from when I lost the whole pack

1661875618412.png

1. zip tie the bag to the seat or post, so when the velcro fails you don't lose it

I've learned both things the hard way, don't copy me :homer: Still missing a tubeless plug kit, Crank Bros M19 tool, and some other random crap from when I lost the whole pack
Hot Laps 2L Bike Waist Bag – Dakine

1661875618412.png

👍

buddy starting riding with one of these. might go on the xmas list to replace the Camelback for the short-ish rides. OR i'll just keep using the saddle pack for those rides and use my own advice above, saving myself the $$:homer:
I'm on my second one of these and other than the muffin top, I love it.

I keep a spare tube, 2 CO2 cylinders, tire levers, multi tool, zip ties, tire plugs, $10, a small knife, a quick link, and I toss my keys in there while riding.

buddy starting riding with one of these. might go on the xmas list to replace the Camelback for the short-ish rides. OR i'll just keep using the saddle pack for those rides and use my own advice above, saving myself the $$:homer:

Just while it’s being discussed, you can’t beat a USWE Airborne 9L if you’re going to be out all day. They usually have big sales right around holidays. Usually about 50% off

I ride with a Camelbak hipsack. Way prefer it to the backpacks. I usually don't run the bladder in it for shorter rides (use a bottle instead). But carry a lot of the same stuff HJ listed above. And have also carried that stuff with the bladder for longer days.

No saddle bags here.

Last edited:
Just while it’s being discussed, you can’t beat a USWE Airborne 9L if you’re going to be out all day. They usually have big sales right around holidays. Usually about 50% off

This guy knows what's up! The USWE straps are legit it really doesn't move and you don't notice it much on the bike. If you're a big guy you'll need the larger chest straps, just email them and tell them you need them.and they'll throw them in for free with your order. Shipping was insanely fast from Sweden.:smokin:

They are a little bit smaller than the size rating indicates though. I've got a 15L and it's pretty much maxed out with a full 3L bladder, shirt/jacket, extra gloves and snacks. I'm thinking about upgrading to one of the larger waterproof ones.

This is the one I've got I really like it.

My belly and ass are the same diameter, so the hip-packs slide right off. I would have to wear the hip pack under my armpits.

I have an older version of this pack that I really like.

I had a Leatt branded USWE and ripped a strap off within 6 months. I use a Kriega Hydro-3 now and have had it over 10 years.

They have dry bags you can quick attach on if more capacity is needed.

1661969376535.png

Top Back Refresh