What's new

The 4xFordYota Franken-Fine Axles!

Tyler, you're a complete retard

Every post you make is contradicting the last, then you criticize everyone else for not understanding?

You can't even read what is posted for actual information.

For the last time, YOU keep mentioning, easy, off the shelf common parts, then you talk about will wood brakes. No I don't think you're going to rip a brake hat off on the trail. But have you ever seen a caliper stick and roast a rotor? Or a bolt come loose and fuck the caliper up? These are things youd ha e seen if you had experience, yet your posts come off like you're a high-schooler who started this hobby last week.

"you just lost credibility with me"

Oh jeez, I'm going to loose sleep over that :lmao:

Grow some thicker skin and quit being so ****y if you want anyone to take you seriously.

I'm all for cool axles.
I don't understand the idea of building an uber-custom axle and saying "i want to be able to use off-the-shelf-spare-parts." I don't think those two phrases got together at all

seems like saying 3.5"-1/2" DOM is readily available, so that means my axle tubes are readily available.

But I do think they'll be interesting axles when... rather... IF ever complete.

Thank you for summing this up perfectly

Alright, I am inserting my foot into my mouth. Just called RCV and you are correct... it turns out they are an axle company that can make custom shafts all day, but refuse to put ujoint ears on anything. So, I dont have an answer for what I am doing for the inner shafts yet. But, lucky for me that is the last step of the process, which means I have time to figure out that part, and I can't imagine a chunk of 300m with 36 splines on one end and 1550 ujoint ears on the other can be terribly difficult to source???? If people have a couple of recommendations on that source, I am all ears :)

Grow some thicker skin and quit being so ****y if you want anyone to take you seriously.
I think that, right there, is the problem. You guys take things way too seriously, and (maybe wrongfully) assume that I am trying to be taken seriously as well? Why can't building axles just be about fun? I thought that the entire first post of this whole thread kind of set the tone that I am not trying to be taken seriously.

I seriously do appreciate all of the information and tips from you guys, but I also think you guys take things way too seriously. Lighten up and let's have some fun playing with axles. Who gives a flying fuck how much its going to cost? Who gives a flying fuck if it all gets built and I find out that I hate e lockers or that selectable hubs are garbage. I am at a place in my life right now where I have worked my ass off to get where I am. I donated over $17,000 to offroad communities across the country last year. We will be above $20k this year. If I have some expendable tax-write-off-cash to blow on having fun building some stupid axles, then why not just let me do it?

We also, I think, have different definitions of what "off the shelf" means. Obviously, I am building axles that I wont be able to get parts at auto parts stores. My goal is to pick parts that I can get within 2-3 months, from companies that aren't going anywhere, that (typically) have inventory available on their shelves, using parts that are commonly used parts for the offroad industry and also won't be discontinued for a while. That is my definition of "off the shelf parts" in the offroad aftermarket industry.

I am fairly certain that 8x6.5 05+ SD UBs arent going anywhere for a while. Same with Tundra third members and 5.29 gearsets. Same with wilwood calipers and rotors. As for shafts, there are tons of companies around that will make custom shafts. If one goes under, I will call the next one. My only real concern when it comes to parts availability is the Tundra elocker from Eaton. It is hard to say whether they will keep producing it since it doesn't have a ton of aftermarket demand. But I am also sick of using ARBs, so that is a risk I am wiling to take for now.

THis might also be the point that is causing so much uproar... I am trying to build a "rock bouncer" set of axles by using as many commonly used parts as possible, but without doing what everyone else has done before because that is just boring. Can there be a different recipe that can work? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But this is my build and what I am going to do. How about we all have some fun with it rather than whatever this whole thing devolved to over the past 3 days.

Last edited:
Derail, but need to clear some things up for historical accuracy:
  1. The 14b didn't fall out of favor until recently by white claw sipping west coasters with more money than brains to burn on car axles modified for offroad use (the Ford 9"). Up until recently, and it still is, the shit for for offroad beef
  2. The 14b is/was/and always will be the greatest offroad axle ever created. Christ himself formed it with his love and grace
  3. You don't need aftermarket support when perfection was achieved from the factory, aftermarket people look at it and they can't think of anyway to improve it
  4. If you are scared of grinding a lip, or 3" of the bottom of the pumpkin off, turning down the ring gear and welding a plate on there, then this hobby isn't for you
  5. See 2 and 3
  6. There is a shrine to the 14b at the begining of each hard trail in the south east, legend has it if you light a candle, take a pull of shine, and leave broken d60 parts it's good luck on your journey up the obstacle
Thread re railed, just had to clear that up about the greatest piece of offroad engineering ever created.
now thats legit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that, right there, is the problem. You guys take things way too seriously, and (maybe wrongfully) assume that I am trying to be taken seriously as well? Why can't building axles just be about fun? I thought that the entire first post of this whole thread kind of set the tone that I am not trying to be taken seriously.

I seriously do appreciate all of the information and tips from you guys, but I also think you guys take things way too seriously. Lighten up and let's have some fun playing with axles. Who gives a flying fuck how much its going to cost? Who gives a flying fuck if it all gets built and I find out that I hate e lockers or that selectable hubs are garbage. I am at a place in my life right now where I have worked my ass off to get where I am. I donated over $17,000 to offroad communities across the country last year. We will be above $20k this year. If I have some expendable tax-write-off-cash to blow on having fun building some stupid axles, then why not just let me do it?

We also, I think, have different definitions of what "off the shelf" means. Obviously, I am building axles that I wont be able to get parts at auto parts stores. My goal is to pick parts that I can get within 2-3 months, from companies that aren't going anywhere, that (typically) have inventory available on their shelves, using parts that are commonly used parts for the offroad industry and also won't be going anywhere for a while.

I am fairly certain that 8x6.5 05+ SD UBs arent going anywhere for a while. Same with Tundra third members and 5.29 gearsets. Same with wilwood calipers and rotors. As for shafts, there are tons of companies around that will make custom shafts. If one goes under, I will call the next one. My only real concern when it comes to parts availability is the Tundra elocker from Eaton. It is hard to say whether they will keep producing it since it doesn't have a ton of aftermarket demand. But I am also sick of using ARBs, so that is a risk I am wiling to take for now.

THis might also be the point that is causing so much uproar... I am trying to build a "rock bouncer" axle by using as many commonly used parts as possible, but without doing what everyone else has done before because that is just boring. Can there be a different recipe that can work? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But this is my build and what I am going to do. How about we all have some fun with it rather than whatever this whole thing devolved to over the past 3 days.

not that it matters, but this post is so full of contradictions that it is hard to read.

Fair enough, maybe your posts came across wrong.

Because we may be dicks but we aren't assholes, assholes will just watch you waste money, we'll at least tell you that you're an idiot before you do. :flipoff2:

We also, I think, have different definitions of what "off the shelf" means. Obviously, I am building axles that I wont be able to get parts at auto parts stores. My goal is to pick parts that I can get within 2-3 months, from companies that aren't going anywhere, that (typically) have inventory available on their shelves, using parts that are commonly used parts for the offroad industry and also won't be discontinued for a while. That is my definition of "off the shelf parts" in the offroad aftermarket industry.

I've always heard "off the shelf" referring to parts from a parts store. Ie: napa, Vato one, ect.

I am fairly certain that 8x6.5 05+ SD UBs arent going anywhere for a while.

I don't think so either, my thought is that for your application, there is zero advantage to 8x6.5 over 8x170, so why not just go stock timkins?

As far as brakes, like I said, I like the idea of stock brakes for what you're doing. Wieght is the only advantage to will wood stuff.

Same with Tundra third members and 5.29 gearsets. Same with wilwood calipers and rotors. As for shafts, there are tons of companies around that will make custom shafts. If one goes under, I will call the next one. My only real concern when it comes to parts availability is the Tundra elocker from Eaton. It is hard to say whether they will keep producing it since it doesn't have a ton of aftermarket demand. But I am also sick of using ARBs, so that is a risk I am wiling to take for now.

If you can't keep air lines safe, how do you expect to keep your elocker wires safe? :stirthepot:
THis might also be the point that is causing so much uproar... I am trying to build a "rock bouncer" set of axles by using as many commonly used parts as possible, but without doing what everyone else has done before because that is just boring. Can there be a different recipe that can work? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But this is my build and what I am going to do. How about we all have some fun with it rather than whatever this whole thing devolved to over the past 3 days.

The point you're missing is that rock bouncers don't run down the highway, all out strength does come with comprises.

Alright, I am inserting my foot into my mouth. Just called RCV and you are correct... it turns out they are an axle company that can make custom shafts all day, but refuse to put ujoint ears on anything. So, I dont have an answer for what I am doing for the inner shafts yet. But, lucky for me that is the last step of the process, which means I have time to figure out that part, and I can't imagine a chunk of 300m with 36 splines on one end and 1550 ujoint ears on the other can be terribly difficult to source???? If people have a couple of recommendations on that source, I am all ears :)

Just bringing this back up and pointing out that you don't know shit.

Lmao so you don't think that RCV is capable of making basic axle shaft inners without putting a big bell on it?? And you are a badass axle builder?????? That is hilarious.

I KNOW that i am not a badass axle builder and I have a lot to learn, but at least I know that RCV can make inner shafts lolol

That honestly might be the funniest thing you have said yet... I cant laugh any more and have work to do. Have a great day all!

If you were listening to people instead of telling us we're morons, MAYBE you'd learn.

So yeah, I have recommendations and even different ways to do what you want.

Mater of a fact I actually build quite a few hybrid axles based off of weird shit that's hard to find (H233B anyone ?)

But with your attitude, you make it really hard to keep helping.

Look at this :

I am not trying to be taken seriously.

Then I'm done helping. If I spend the time to give you actual, experience based recommendations, you better think I want to be taken seriously.

I am at a place in my life right now where I have worked my ass off to get where I am. I donated over $17,000 to offroad communities across the country last year. We will be above $20k this year.

And that should give you the right to be a douche nozzle ? There are anonymous people who give a lot more than that and don't ask for a pedestal.
I don't even see how this comes into play in an axle building thread.

If you want to talk about street cred, I helped design some of the parts you plan to buy for this axle build.

I am trying to build a "rock bouncer" set of axles by using as many commonly used parts as possible, but without doing what everyone else has done before because that is just boring. Can there be a different recipe that can work? Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. But this is my build and what I am going to do. How about we all have some fun with it rather than whatever this whole thing devolved to over the past 3 days.

So you're trying to build "Rockbouncer axles" with none of the parts to build a rock bouncer axle.

Let this sink in.

1. The 14b didn't fall out of favor until recently by white claw sipping west coasters with more money than brains to burn on car axles modified for offroad use (the Ford 9"). Up until recently, and it still is, the shit for for offroad beef
  2. The 14b is/was/and always will be the greatest offroad axle ever created. Christ himself formed it with his love and grace
  3. You don't need aftermarket support when perfection was achieved from the factory, aftermarket people look at it and they can't think of anyway to improve it
  4. If you are scared of grinding a lip, or 3" of the bottom of the pumpkin off, turning down the ring gear and welding a plate on there, then this hobby isn't for you
  5. See 2 and 3
  6. There is a shrine to the 14b at the begining of each hard trail in the south east, legend has it if you light a candle, take a pull of shine, and leave broken d60 parts it's good luck on your journey up the obstacle
Thread re railed, just had to clear that up about the greatest piece of offroad engineering ever created.
This is awesome BTW:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I wasn’t trying to shit on the 14b, it just wasn’t taken seriously until 20 years ago or so, now it’s everything you described.
OMG You're one of those.
Not really, hence :flipoff2:
Welcome to IBB, I'm sorry I offended your feelings.
No offense taken, just want to see a possibility “so wrong it’s right “ axle build. Don’t need you guys changing his plans:laughing:

I've had a hell of a read today, this shall get interesting. BUT. Aside from all of that. If you can get me the axle spline depth, O.D., and length I can see If you have room to cut 36 spline into a blank superduty axle shaft. I have one here. And plus, that could be better for determining your width. easy to get shafts going forward if you could just call A / B / or C axle company and buy a blank 300m inner to have them re-splined. I have a local shop in Sac who cuts all my splines for custom axles. Just food for thought!

Btw, 2 weeks into Irate4x4 and I can completely understand why I stopped telling people about builds until they are done. lol. Good Luck!

I've had a hell of a read today, this shall get interesting. BUT. Aside from all of that. If you can get me the axle spline depth, O.D., and length I can see If you have room to cut 36 spline into a blank superduty axle shaft. I have one here. And plus, that could be better for determining your width. easy to get shafts going forward if you could just call A / B / or C axle company and buy a blank 300m inner to have them re-splined. I have a local shop in Sac who cuts all my splines for custom axles. Just food for thought!

Btw, 2 weeks into Irate4x4 and I can completely understand why I stopped telling people about builds until they are done. lol. Good Luck!

Or look into 35 spline side gears

Or look into 35 spline side gears

Are you talking about the carrier splines ? I think that's going to be the only downfall with these drop outs is that there spline count and size is different then most common axle shafts on the market.

Would probably be quite easy Ud he gone with ARBs
I'm with Tyler on the issues with ARB. I have one that works flawlessly but ARB is so deep trying to sell and make overland parts that they completely are lacking on quality seals and taking care of there customer service end when it comes to the issues most companies are complaining about on a almost daily basis. Leaking Face Seals and Bearing Surfaces being out of spec.

BUT. Eaton has a HUGE issue with unlocking when you go into reverse then relocking when you go back forward. That's a huge issue on the pins rounding out and messing up. 9/10 Eaton said its the consumers fault when this happens.

But I do not see Eaton or ARB changing the carrier spline count to 35 spline compared to how many of these units are going to be sold as drop in units for Tundras. The drop out 3rd members are a cool design and seem beefy but I don't think a lot of companies will support for a few more years of them being in the market.

But I do not see Eaton or ARB changing the carrier spline count to 35 spline compared to how many of these units are going to be sold as drop in units for Tundras. The drop out 3rd members are a cool design and seem beefy but I don't think a lot of companies will support for a few more years of them being in the market.
ARB commonly designs their carriers with a certain level of interchangeability with respect to the side gears. I can’t say for sure that there is an easy 35 spline side gear swap but if I had to bet on it I would say the odds are more likely than not.

ARB commonly designs their carriers with a certain level of interchangeability with respect to the side gears. I can’t say for sure that there is an easy 35 spline side gear swap but if I had to bet on it I would say the odds are more likely than not.

I could see that. They have had a lot of interchange over the years. who knows. Maybe its just a modified version of there 60 locker and the only difference of external dimensions and bearing sizes.

I've talked and built quite a few axles ( Maybe not as much as some people ) But for some reason I've never herd of someone refer to the spider gear as a side gear. Maybe I have been under a rock for too many years :lmao:

I'm with Tyler on the issues with ARB. I have one that works flawlessly but ARB is so deep trying to sell and make overland parts that they completely are lacking on quality seals and taking care of there customer service end when it comes to the issues most companies are complaining about on a almost daily basis. Leaking Face Seals and Bearing Surfaces being out of spec.

BUT. Eaton has a HUGE issue with unlocking when you go into reverse then relocking when you go back forward. That's a huge issue on the pins rounding out and messing up. 9/10 Eaton said its the consumers fault when this happens.

ARB absolutely does this. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get 35 spline side gears for that tundra 3rd.

I could see that. They have had a lot of interchange over the years. who knows. Maybe its just a modified version of there 60 locker and the only difference of external dimensions and bearing sizes.

I've talked and built quite a few axles ( Maybe not as much as some people ) But for some reason I've never herd of someone refer to the spider gear as a side gear. Maybe I have been under a rock for too many years :lmao:

Spider gears are spider gears and side gears are side gears :homer:

If Eaton could supply a 35 spline side gear Tyler could use just a standard dimension SuperDuty 300m shaft for the 05+ market. But I'm not sure if that is going to match up with his specific wheel base WMS dimensions he is after.

Thennnnn the rear could be a 35 to 35 spline "off the shelf" 300m rear shaft to ease on having inner shafts custom made. We might be getting somewhere here haha

Spider gears are spider gears and side gears are side gears :homer:

Note Taken ☑️
I've just always referred all 6 gears as Spider Gears. I can totally see how that is clearly not the same just never referred to them as that. Looking at the locker break down and parts they call them side gears also. Learned something on a forum today. That hasn't happened in a while :lmao:

ARB absolutely does this. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get 35 spline side gears for that tundra 3rd.

I would imagine Eaton being as big as they are they might have implemented these same practices into there lockers. Might be worth giving them a call to see If they might have a option before making shafts.

5. See 2 and 3
An not a single comment about the vent location?

Friggen fail. :flipoff2:

If Eaton could supply a 35 spline side gear Tyler could use just a standard dimension SuperDuty 300m shaft for the 05+ market. But I'm not sure if that is going to match up with his specific wheel base WMS dimensions he is after.

He mentioned 72" wms, which is what an 05+ axle is, so it would probably work perfectly.

5. See 2 and 3

I'm gonna go on and personally say something that is going to be ridiculed by a lot of people. haha. The 14B and the Ford 9in are the two strongest center sections in normal situations. Hands Down. But every single time I will always choose a Ford 9in drop out and Fabricated Housing before a 14B due to size and parts. A stock 9in drop out is tremendously smaller then the 14B. If you can cut shave and modify the 14B you can build a fabricated housing 9in just as easy. And when your ready to spend more money to upgrade. Put a High Pinion drop out in it for even more clearance. And match it to ANY gear set of your choice.

If you have a little more budget, build the Ford 9in drop out. Its far superior in many cases off-road compared to the 14b. IN MY OPININON. Not in the opinion of the condenses. lol

If you want to get a stock axle. Weld the diff. and go wheeling. Just buy a 14B. The 14B housing much more robust to ANY oem Ford 9in Housing. Either way no one is loosing but we cant GOD complex that axle :lmao: It cant even fit on the pedestal most people put it on HAHA

Top Back Refresh