What's new

The 3D printer thread

Creality will resume after power outage

As far as the kids, I ended up getting ours because the kids started to question the math that she was learning

I got the printer, and her started on Tinkercad and the light went on and she was off to the races
Right on. I have no idea where I would set one up in the apartment. Not much room and nothing is safe lol

My kids would take off with math even quicker if they could design and print.

Right on. I have no idea where I would set one up in the apartment. Not much room and nothing is safe lol

My kids would take off with math even quicker if they could design and print.
Get a small one then, it really helped with the attitude towards math
she is in Middle School and is already in Algebra if that helps you make a decision
and
you will be absolutely surprised at the amount of 'inventions' that you will get around the house to just assist things in daily life that the kids will come up with

Kid just broke my phone kickstand that I have been using for the past three years, she stared getting all sad and apologetic until I pointed out that now she can make a better one for me :grinpimp:

Get a small one then, it really helped with the attitude towards math
she is in Middle School and is already in Algebra if that helps you make a decision
and
you will be absolutely surprised at the amount of 'inventions' that you will get around the house to just assist things in daily life that the kids will come up with

Kid just broke my phone kickstand that I have been using for the past three years, she stared getting all sad and apologetic until I pointed out that now she can make a better one for me :grinpimp:
Will do.

My oldest is just like me - highly interested in math and picks up on it quick. I was in Algebra in middle school as well

They break most of their toys (all being plastic anymore) and it would be fun if they could measure, design and print new and/or improved parts.

Suppose I'm the odd one out on what unit to get. Really have had my eyes on a snapmaker 3-in-1 just because I've had moments where any of the three capabilities would have been highly useful. Snapmaker Official Site | Snapmaker Not too keen on having to swap heads, though. The price is hard to swallow for most, though I see it being worth it because buying three separate machines to cover all three uses would easily add up higher. I was under the impression that 92 Green YJ had a snapmaker because he's printing and engraving.

Kinda considering asking my wife to get me a printer for xmas. I'm quite sure I would be limited to the smallest Ender because of prices. The Prusa would be ideal as long as the build envelope is big enough.

I had a friend print me some exhaust manifold bucks from PLA at no charge. The first few runs didn't work out. It was either, power went out again, spool ran out, or bolts came loose during a print, so I only got three out of four good bucks to work with.

I could really use a printer to make welding jigs and various other useful parts. Don't care at all for all the trinket stuff or making a business of it. My FIL would often ask me if 3D printing was something I was excited to do. My response was always something about the material not be strong enough or accurate enough. A few years later and I've thought of many places I could use some kind of printed support, jig, or other structure to help with builds.

Anyway, anybody seen a snapmaker in action? At this point, I'm think I should go with just a printer so my kids and I get play with it. Probably cheap for now because I can guarantee that my kids will break it while horsing around.

yeah so the thing is, the combo machines will do multiple things, but it won’t do all of them well. It really is far better to buy a dedicated machine for your given process. My mom sent me a link for the snap maker thinking the same thing.

yes it’s more expensive getting dedicated machinery for each process, but it’s better that way in the long run due to performance capabilities.

As to the power failure issue, all my machines will resume prints after a power loss. That said, I have my entire work station running on a pair of battery back up units. One for each side of the work station. I have a whole home generator as well so the UPS units keep everything up and running until my generator kicks in and takes over and they condition the power coming in off of it to boot.

the Ender machines really aren’t bad at all, that’s mostly what I run at present. As long as you take your time and make sure everything is square and straight when you put them together you won’t have many issues. The last Ender 3V2 I picked up went to work the minute I got it together right out of the box without a single issue.

Edited to add my current machine list.
Ender 3 Pro (my first one that started it all)
two Ender 3 V2s
Ender 6
CR-10S (seeing a trend? All creality machines here and above)
newest is the Elegoo Mars 3 Pro with wash and cure stations. My first resin printer
on order is the Bambu Lab X1 Carbon with AMS
lasers I have
Xtool D1 10 watt with the extension rails and both rotary set ups
Full Spectrum Lasers Muse 3D 45 watt CO2 laser

i was looking at CNCs during Black Friday, but not sure I’m ready to jump into that just yet.

Last edited:
I modified my Monoprice Maker Select Plus. It looks like hammered dog shit, but works great. Auto bed-leveling was a game changer. It actually made printing fun again, instead of just frustrating.

My plan was to print boxes and do some better wire management, but I'm probably just going to build an enclosure and start printing ABS Voron parts. I did make the mounts for the screen (in the pic), but need to build new wiring to make it work mounted. The screen is a nice to have, but I do most operations through the Raspberry Pi (Octoprint) and/or Pronterface. The control board is an SKR 1.3 with TMC 2130(?) drivers. I had almost pulled the trigger on Misumi rods/bearings, but realized I would then have money money in it than a Voron.

We just moved and I immediately started school again, so my office has been a little slow to set up. Just got the printer fired up yesterday. I had a bunch of external brace mods and such on the printer, but they were spread among different moving boxes... I'm going to leave them off and see if the quality is worse. I suspect I won't notice a difference.

20221201_200215.jpg

Other side of office, just because. Again, haven't finished setting up yet. Plus, you would think with a brand new house you wouldn't have a bunch of improvement projects...

20221201_200236.jpg

Last edited:
Are you making a killing on the craft show scene or do you support other industries with all of those printers? Thanks for sharing your info, very interesting.

i did make a killing at the craft fairs I did last month for sure. I’ve also been doing quite well with orders thru here and Facebook. The craft fairs actually lead to a lot of follow up orders as I spoke to tons of people and handed out a mess of business cards over the course of the two weekends.

I’ve also got some local stuff in the works. The EMS chief on our fire department happens to own 1A Relics which is a huge antique store that has been doing gangbusters. He wants me to produce a bunch of Maine themed items to put in his store for the summer tourist season which I’m already working on. I am also working on getting a bunch of game themed stuff into a local collectables store that hosts weekly Magic the gathering, pokemon, Mario kart, etc tournaments. Been churning out a bunch of products to fit that demographic and will be taking a box over there next week to show the owner to work out a deal. And lastly, also on 1A in Ellsworth is a new Made in Downeast Maine store that recently opened as a mix of local vendors to show and sell their stuff. I was in there today to get table info and will be setting up and stocking a table there next week to sell more stuff locally.

it’s actually gotten to the point where I’m having locals pick up orders at my place to save shipping costs. So I’ve had the laser running making some signs to direct customers up to my studio

6A82ED02-BF21-4110-B897-C32B2B072D39.jpeg
8C8C5FB4-DCEA-4AC3-9206-DF365CC41FDE.jpeg

and just to add a bit more to the topic at hand. Here’s my new resin set up

B1FF6A44-F394-4A76-99FF-54BA0BED6145.jpeg

first print I did with it

8698D849-1A15-42BE-8BAC-190207DC1D09.jpeg

I also did a dice set to go with a dice cup I made (D&D and general geek stuff sells well for me)

1B2AAB7E-7371-4404-ACE8-B926340F5678.jpeg

And I started messing with lithopnes which I think will also be a good seller

9007C6CF-11F7-4D33-B5E3-9F97C55E3B0B.jpeg
0B30DCA3-E628-489D-8C22-E7DBA12DDAAD.jpeg

i did make a killing at the craft fairs I did last month for sure. I’ve also been doing quite well with orders thru here and Facebook. The craft fairs actually lead to a lot of follow up orders as I spoke to tons of people and handed out a mess of business cards over the course of the two weekends.
That's impressive for sure, I really like how clean and professional your stuff looks. Your quality and detail is something I would strive for if I got involved. Badass man, keep killing it!

we have a few 3d printer threads going, didn't know which one to use, so I chose this one.

anyways...

my new-to-me laptop doesn't have an SD card slot, and I don't like the little USB SD dongle thing that came with my printer.

A few weeks ago, for no reason at all other than I am a sucker for a good deal, I picked up a Raspberry PI 4 for 20 bucks on marketplace.

So I installed octoprint on the Pi, and the octoprint plugin for cura.

It is totally awesome. I highly suggest it. I shouldn't have waited so long to set this up

Now I just turn on the printer, slice while it's warming up, then click print. Not that walking back and forth with an SD card is hard. Just that octoprint is better.

Now I want to add a USB outlet to my printer's power supply to power the Pi. And print a case for the Pi to mount it directly to the printer itself.

I just finished my voron (well still printing the parts for the outside panels). Being able to upload and control from a web interface is a complete game changer vs find the SD card

Oh, and granitestatedestroyer if you found a pi 4 for $20 then you suck. Those things have been unobtanium for even retail price

In the other thread, I mentioned that I had ordered an Ender 5 S1. I then watched a video about the Bambu P1P, and decided I had to have that instead. It gets here this week. Super excited about this thing. I have a few basic parts drawn up and ready to print, and I’ll hit go as soon as I get it out of the box.

we have a few 3d printer threads going, didn't know which one to use, so I chose this one.

anyways...

my new-to-me laptop doesn't have an SD card slot, and I don't like the little USB SD dongle thing that came with my printer.

A few weeks ago, for no reason at all other than I am a sucker for a good deal, I picked up a Raspberry PI 4 for 20 bucks on marketplace.

So I installed octoprint on the Pi, and the octoprint plugin for cura.

It is totally awesome. I highly suggest it. I shouldn't have waited so long to set this up

Now I just turn on the printer, slice while it's warming up, then click print. Not that walking back and forth with an SD card is hard. Just that octoprint is better.

Now I want to add a USB outlet to my printer's power supply to power the Pi. And print a case for the Pi to mount it directly to the printer itself.
keep the pi on it's original power supply.
no reason to go introducing problems you don't have.

I just finished my voron (well still printing the parts for the outside panels). Being able to upload and control from a web interface is a complete game changer vs find the SD card

Oh, and granitestatedestroyer if you found a pi 4 for $20 then you suck. Those things have been unobtanium for even retail price

I dont even need to upload to the web interface. I just click the "print with octoprint" button and it prints right from cura.

And yeah, I know they have been hard to find, which is why I just bought it without really having a plan for it. Its even a 4gb, and the guy gave me the PI, case, SD card, and a mouse.

keep the pi on it's original power supply.
no reason to go introducing problems you don't have.

do Pis have problems running off the power supplies in printers? its got a coule open 24v out slots, was just planning on using one of those.

I dont even need to upload to the web interface. I just click the "print with octoprint" button and it prints right from cura.

And yeah, I know they have been hard to find, which is why I just bought it without really having a plan for it. Its even a 4gb, and the guy gave me the PI, case, SD card, and a mouse.

do Pis have problems running off the power supplies in printers? its got a coule open 24v out slots, was just planning on using one of those.
It depends on the setup. I'm running mine off the spider control board, but it has a 5v header for the Pi specifically.

USB power is easier to find and trust vs some random 5v, I can also see an advantage to seperate in case something is happening the pi isnt going to keep bouncing

In the other thread, I mentioned that I had ordered an Ender 5 S1. I then watched a video about the Bambu P1P, and decided I had to have that instead. It gets here this week. Super excited about this thing. I have a few basic parts drawn up and ready to print, and I’ll hit go as soon as I get it out of the box.

right there with ya. My X1 Carbon Combo arrives this week too. Can’t wait to get it set up and see what it can do. I’ve already “painted” a couple of models in the slicer and already found that 4 colors is limiting. I resisted the urge (so far) to go ahead and order the hub and a second AMS to spread to 8 colors before I even get the thing on the table.

I have my Bambu P1P in the trunk. So, if someone wants to go ahead and call in a bomb threat to my office, I can get home and get to printing out dicks or whatever I thought I had to have this for.

My X1 Carbon combo with the AMS arrived via brown Santa today. I’ll be hauling it up to the studio to inbox, set up, and run tommorow :grinpimp::grinpimp:

I got my P1P set up. Took maybe 30 min to get running. The first print was perfect with zero setup. The only problem is that some dumbass didn’t really take precise measurements for this lower mount for an element fire extinguisher. So it fits too tight. Version 2 will have thinner walls and a larger ID. Quality of the print is excellent, and it took exactly as long and weighed exactly what the Bambu slicer said it would.

CCC9454F-5BFB-49E7-A0CA-DAB3FAB0868F.jpeg

I'm looking at this one. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Last edited:
My voron is really nice, but I keep wondering if I shouldnt have bought a bambu... maybe next printer

looking forward to seeing how you like this machine. Thinking of picking one up to replace an aging Ultimaker 2+
So far I’m impressed. I haven’t even scratched the surface with this thing yet and I’m gonna say it was well worth the price tag. Don’t think I’m gonna get a ton of time the next few days to play with it, but I’m sure gonna try!

first multicolor print is done

4415E6B2-A622-4BB4-BEDB-14A9DFE69B50.jpeg
CD88AC9B-356F-4EF9-A02C-F39532DBDF05.jpeg

so overall, super impressed. The issues on the model are my fault. I colored this quickly just to give it a shot. Overall the color transitions are clean. The blue on the eyes is off but due to how I colored them in the slicer with a paint brush tool. The mouth I used a flood tool which worked well. Might need to figure out something a bit more precise for this than my mouse. Wondering if I can maybe use the Magic Trackpad with a stylus or something to get tighter coloring. This is something I’ll have to play with some more to get dialed in. I also should have colored the feet red.

need to disable the raft as I didn’t notice the slicer has them on by default. Default tree support setting seemed to work well for the mouth and detached well. The one under the body also came off clean.

this thing is fast as fuck even on the stock speed settings. I may try and run this model again on sport mode to see what the overall time difference is. There is also a ludicrous speed mode.

filament loading in the AMS is stupid easy. Wish my standard printers were this easy to load filament. Just push it in until the sensor picks it up and the AMS does the rest. Easy to assign colors and materials after loading when not using Bambu filaments (their spools come with a rfid tag on them that tells the AMS all the data of the material, co,or, etc)

yeah, I’m looking forward to spending more time getting to know this beast.

That multicolor printer is bad ass. I could definitely see the benefit of that when making a buck off of it. I'll stick to hand painting the stuff off my cheap Creality for now :laughing:

Top Back Refresh