What's new

The 3D printer thread

Boyfriend has a Creality. First test runs are always dicks. These his friend made and left hidden here.

Friend made us the Ram head for the cursed Dodge we just got.

Attachments

• 20221114_075709.jpg
    20221114_075709.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 20221114_075904.jpg
    20221114_075904.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • 20221114_075858.jpg
    20221114_075858.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 87
Fusion 360 for drawing, though its not going to be free much longer.

I make gun parts, car interior parts and R&D parts to be machined though I just started doing that. Super easy to print something to see if its going to work before machining anything
what did you here, is fusion going to have a sub cost or buy it out right ?

I have an ender 5, and I also use fusion 360.

I don't make trinkets and toys either. Only useful things. Most recent thing is an in-dash brake controller bracket/wireless charger phone pocket for my super duty.

I recommend getting a larger printer. I wish I had gotten the ender 5 plus. I may even try to sell mine off and get the larger one.

The regular ender 5 seemed large enough when I was shopping, but I have already maxed it out several times and have had a few things I could not print because my printer is too small.

I also recommend getting one with automatic bed leveling (which doesn't actually level shit, just probes the plate and compensates)

I have an ender 5, and I also use fusion 360.

I don't make trinkets and toys either. Only useful things. Most recent thing is an in-dash brake controller bracket/wireless charger phone pocket for my super duty.

I recommend getting a larger printer. I wish I had gotten the ender 5 plus. I may even try to sell mine off and get the larger one.

The regular ender 5 seemed large enough when I was shopping, but I have already maxed it out several times and have had a few things I could not print because my printer is too small.

I also recommend getting one with automatic bed leveling (which doesn't actually level shit, just probes the plate and compensates)
this

I have the 500x500 bed
love the size, I in theory could print a 5 Gal bucket

and agree on a bed leveler, that is the challenge

The other thing that got me was the physical size that it took up, it isn't that big, but the bed slides this way <-- and that way -->, so in reality it takes up 3x what you think it will

just get one:grinpimp:

Ordered an Ender 3V2 for $200, seemed like a decent deal. If I end up wanting something larger/fancier I’ll bring this home for my 5 year old to play with and get a larger one for the shop.

I don’t really want another hobby, just a way to solve problems.

Well I just pulled the trigger and placed a preorder for the Bambu Labs X1 Carbon with the AMS system. Estimated ship date of mid December. Bit spemeh, but the users who have them have been reporting fantastic results with it. Much faster print times, like half the time it takes on an Ender series printer. Not to mention the AMS which allows for printing with up to 4 separate colors at once. I’ve even seen a few people buy a second AMS and set it for 8 color prints.

Well I just pulled the trigger and placed a preorder for the Bambu Labs X1 Carbon with the AMS system. Estimated ship date of mid December. Bit spemeh, but the users who have them have been reporting fantastic results with it. Much faster print times, like half the time it takes on an Ender series printer. Not to mention the AMS which allows for printing with up to 4 separate colors at once. I’ve even seen a few people buy a second AMS and set it for 8 color prints.

That thing is seriously impressive if it works like they claim, and the price isn’t bad.

It also appears they are getting close to what I’ve said will be the next major technical revolution in terms of everyday life, when most households have an “idiot proof” 3d printer, tied to a mainstream online store. You buy a phone case, cup, kid’s toy, etc off Amazon and it prints on your desk immediately.

I know that is being done right now, but it’s not out of the “nerd/enthusiast“ level of where the mom next door uses one.

One downside I see to that thing is RFID tags in the spools, I’m guessing it won’t print with other companies material, or will be “updated“ not to. Maybe their printer is so demanding it won’t get good results with other brand stuff anyways, but it would suck if it’s $50-60 a spool, or they get bought out/go under.

That thing is seriously impressive if it works like they claim, and the price isn’t bad.

It also appears they are getting close to what I’ve said will be the next major technical revolution in terms of everyday life, when most households have an “idiot proof” 3d printer, tied to a mainstream online store. You buy a phone case, cup, kid’s toy, etc off Amazon and it prints on your desk immediately.

I know that is being done right now, but it’s not out of the “nerd/enthusiast“ level of where the mom next door uses one.

One downside I see to that thing is RFID tags in the spools, I’m guessing it won’t print with other companies material, or will be “updated“ not to. Maybe their printer is so demanding it won’t get good results with other brand stuff anyways, but it would suck if it’s $50-60 a spool, or they get bought out/go under.
yeah I'm not a fan.
reeks of "authorized consumables" in printers. Remember those lawsuits?

From what I’ve read, the rifd tags on the spools only identify what color the spool is for ease of use with their slicer. It is not however necessary to use their spools. It does appear that some manufacturers spools are a little too large to fit Into the AMS housing, but most fit and work just fine. I agree it boasts some impressive features, it’s reported speeds are my biggest point of interest. I’m seeing lots of posts where people are slicing a model for a standard Prusa or Ender printer, and slicing it exactly the same for the X1 and seeing less than half the print time. In my case that will be a huge help for my business and production speed. The multicolor capabilities will allow me to do a lot more as well.

From what I’ve read, the rifd tags on the spools only identify what color the spool is for ease of use with their slicer. It is not however necessary to use their spools. It does appear that some manufacturers spools are a little too large to fit Into the AMS housing, but most fit and work just fine. I agree it boasts some impressive features, it’s reported speeds are my biggest point of interest. I’m seeing lots of posts where people are slicing a model for a standard Prusa or Ender printer, and slicing it exactly the same for the X1 and seeing less than half the print time. In my case that will be a huge help for my business and production speed. The multicolor capabilities will allow me to do a lot more as well.

Yeah, if you were doing it as a business I could see the value in having 4-5 of them loaded up with all the different colored filaments, and then it claims you can print remotely via Wi-Fi whenever you make a sale. Assuming there is a way to monitor how much filament is left on the spool before the run out sensor kicks in, you could see an order placed when you’re at home at 8pm, hit “print” at your shop 15 miles away, and then take it out and ship it when you get there in the am. :smokin:

I’m not interested in trying to make money with mine, as it would just distract from my other business, so print speed isn’t crucial, if it’s 6 hours vs 10 hours it’s really no different to me. 1 hour vs 4 hours would be beneficial from a fabricating pieces that are part a separate project though.

From the limited research I’ve done, it seems like there is a lot more to how fast you can print and actually maintain quality than how fast the machine can move. Same as with a CNC, just because the machine can move 800 in/minute doesn’t mean yiu can cut any material with any but that fast.

From the limited research I’ve done, it seems like there is a lot more to how fast you can print and actually maintain quality than how fast the machine can move. Same as with a CNC, just because the machine can move 800 in/minute doesn’t mean yiu can cut any material with any but that fast.

most of it is how rigid the machine is, especially when you start hanging more shit off the hotend and adding mass.
You start hucking around mass on the hotend and you get shake in the machine and the prints get layer shift and what not.

I haven't looked at those machines, but I'm going to assume bowden tube feeds to the hotend to reduce the mass and a ridiculously stiff chassis and some strong steppers to control it.

well I'm wrong, direct drive extruder, but they done made everything else lighter on the head assy and put it in a welded steel chassis.

it looks impressive.

I use 3D printers at work pretty frequently. Both FDM and SLA. We're trending more toward plastic injection molded parts, and they've saved countless hours and $ in r&d.

I have an ebay "3D Printer", was $170 5 years ago, resembles the Anet A8. Its printing a physical topo map now, and I've done lots of brackets and mounts, and whatever oddball shit my buddies come up with. Voron 2.4 is next on the list, but ebay special just keeps on truckin.

well I'm wrong, direct drive extruder, but they done made everything else lighter on the head assy and put it in a welded steel chassis.

it looks impressive.
It does indeed. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on it. My last dual filament printer was a complete piece of junk so I’ve been quite wary of multi filament machines. But I’ve been following some of the user Facebook groups for a while and I’ve seen very few reported issues or negatives. Quite a few folks are selling off their other printers to purchase additional Bambu units.

the only downside is the smaller build area it offers. It will be fine for 90% of the stuff I usually make though. And I’m still keeping my existing 5 printers as well including my two larger format machines. Hell I’m also still going to keep an eye open for a good deal on a resin set up Black Friday/cyber Monday as well because I still want to dip my toes into resin for miniatures and such.

It does indeed. I’m looking forward to getting my hands on it. My last dual filament printer was a complete piece of junk so I’ve been quite wary of multi filament machines. But I’ve been following some of the user Facebook groups for a while and I’ve seen very few reported issues or negatives. Quite a few folks are selling off their other printers to purchase additional Bambu units.

the only downside is the smaller build area it offers. It will be fine for 90% of the stuff I usually make though. And I’m still keeping my existing 5 printers as well including my two larger format machines. Hell I’m also still going to keep an eye open for a good deal on a resin set up Black Friday/cyber Monday as well because I still want to dip my toes into resin for miniatures and such.
yeah, I've found that the FDM machines aren't good for scale model making things so I'm looking at a SLA machine myself.

yeah, I've found that the FDM machines aren't good for scale model making things so I'm looking at a SLA machine myself.
For sure. And I’ve had people asking about miniatures for D&D and warhammer and the like. I’ve also had people ask about dice sets which I have tried on FDM before but they didn’t come out very well. SLA should work well for all of that. Downside is it’s a whole other pile of consumables and parts and such I’ll have to stock in addition to my FDM and laser stuff.

For sure. And I’ve had people asking about miniatures for D&D and warhammer and the like. I’ve also had people ask about dice sets which I have tried on FDM before but they didn’t come out very well. SLA should work well for all of that. Downside is it’s a whole other pile of consumables and parts and such I’ll have to stock in addition to my FDM and laser stuff.
yeah, then there's the washing and curing machine and all that.

I haven't been sufficiently motivated just so I can make bullshit gundam model parts. :laughing:

yeah, then there's the washing and curing machine and all that.

I haven't been sufficiently motivated just so I can make bullshit gundam model parts. :laughing:
Yep. I’ve got a few combo set ups sitting on a wishlist on Amazon that have the printer and the wash and cure stations with them as a bundle. Hopefully one of them pops up as a deal next weekend.

Well, pulled the trigger on the Elegoo Mars 3 pro with the wash and cure station. Ordered a few different bottles of resin in different colors to play with. Gonna have to reorganize my work station again to make room for the new gear.

In a moment of weakness I ordered a Voron 2.4 kit from Aliexpress... few hundred cheaper than any I have found. Should be here next week. Time to stop dumping money in my ender and upgrade to a real printer.

Was going to build one about a year ago so I have almost all the 3d printed parts done. May need to reprint a few as I assemble but then i'll give the ender either to my dad or one of the younger guys who worked for me that wanted a printer.

Getting a headache trying to figure out WTF the "Kit" actually includes is a pain

In a moment of weakness I ordered a Voron 2.4 kit from Aliexpress... few hundred cheaper than any I have found. Should be here next week. Time to stop dumping money in my ender and upgrade to a real printer.

Was going to build one about a year ago so I have almost all the 3d printed parts done. May need to reprint a few as I assemble but then i'll give the ender either to my dad or one of the younger guys who worked for me that wanted a printer.

Getting a headache trying to figure out WTF the "Kit" actually includes is a pain
What are you going to use to control it? Might pull the trigger on this one: Voron 2.4 R2 Version CoreXY 3D Printer Kit but Raspberry Pi's are at rape prices if you can find them. I have an old laptop running Linux that will supposedly work but is a little more complicated.

My Mars 3 Pro and wash and cure station showed up yesterday and today. None of the resin has come in yet though so I can’t try it out. Need to spend some time reworking my work station anyway to make room. Think I’m gonna do some slide out trays on the bottom shelf and double stack a pair of my Ender 3 series one behind the other on the slide tray so I can still access the back printer easily. Do the same for the other Ender 3 and build one more to put the new resin set up on with all three units together.

What are you going to use to control it? Might pull the trigger on this one: Voron 2.4 R2 Version CoreXY 3D Printer Kit but Raspberry Pi's are at rape prices if you can find them. I have an old laptop running Linux that will supposedly work but is a little more complicated.
Fuck that site and stupid popups.

I've got a spare 3B around, and a zero 2w (but i think those can only handle the 0.1)

The ad I bought from claims its includes a free 3B+, but its only on the picture and I'm 50/50 on actually getting it.

Suppose I'm the odd one out on what unit to get. Really have had my eyes on a snapmaker 3-in-1 just because I've had moments where any of the three capabilities would have been highly useful. Snapmaker Official Site | Snapmaker Not too keen on having to swap heads, though. The price is hard to swallow for most, though I see it being worth it because buying three separate machines to cover all three uses would easily add up higher. I was under the impression that 92 Green YJ had a snapmaker because he's printing and engraving.

Kinda considering asking my wife to get me a printer for xmas. I'm quite sure I would be limited to the smallest Ender because of prices. The Prusa would be ideal as long as the build envelope is big enough.

I had a friend print me some exhaust manifold bucks from PLA at no charge. The first few runs didn't work out. It was either, power went out again, spool ran out, or bolts came loose during a print, so I only got three out of four good bucks to work with.

I could really use a printer to make welding jigs and various other useful parts. Don't care at all for all the trinket stuff or making a business of it. My FIL would often ask me if 3D printing was something I was excited to do. My response was always something about the material not be strong enough or accurate enough. A few years later and I've thought of many places I could use some kind of printed support, jig, or other structure to help with builds.

Anyway, anybody seen a snapmaker in action? At this point, I'm think I should go with just a printer so my kids and I get play with it. Probably cheap for now because I can guarantee that my kids will break it while horsing around.

Suppose I'm the odd one out on what unit to get. Really have had my eyes on a snapmaker 3-in-1 just because I've had moments where any of the three capabilities would have been highly useful. Snapmaker Official Site | Snapmaker Not too keen on having to swap heads, though. The price is hard to swallow for most, though I see it being worth it because buying three separate machines to cover all three uses would easily add up higher. I was under the impression that 92 Green YJ had a snapmaker because he's printing and engraving.

Kinda considering asking my wife to get me a printer for xmas. I'm quite sure I would be limited to the smallest Ender because of prices. The Prusa would be ideal as long as the build envelope is big enough.

I had a friend print me some exhaust manifold bucks from PLA at no charge. The first few runs didn't work out. It was either, power went out again, spool ran out, or bolts came loose during a print, so I only got three out of four good bucks to work with.

I could really use a printer to make welding jigs and various other useful parts. Don't care at all for all the trinket stuff or making a business of it. My FIL would often ask me if 3D printing was something I was excited to do. My response was always something about the material not be strong enough or accurate enough. A few years later and I've thought of many places I could use some kind of printed support, jig, or other structure to help with builds.

Anyway, anybody seen a snapmaker in action? At this point, I'm think I should go with just a printer so my kids and I get play with it. Probably cheap for now because I can guarantee that my kids will break it while horsing around.
power went out killed the print?
My Creality will just keep going

I use mine for shop jigs and whatnot too
Kid uses it for black market school trading :laughing:

power went out killed the print?
My Creality will just keep going

I use mine for shop jigs and whatnot too
Kid uses it for black market school trading :laughing:
Yeah. Happened two or three times. I might be able to get the printer brand and model. I guess the power would go out pretty regularly. He brought me each piece just so I could see them.

I know the Snapmaker will pause everything if power is lost and get right back to printing when the power comes back on. Creality do the same? I'm have every site up of each printer mentioned in this thread. Reading over them today.

My kids would print stuff every day if I got the set up. They'd learn Fusion360 and SketchUp pretty quickly, too.

Yeah. Happened two or three times. I might be able to get the printer brand and model. I guess the power would go out pretty regularly. He brought me each piece just so I could see them.

I know the Snapmaker will pause everything if power is lost and get right back to printing when the power comes back on. Creality do the same? I'm have every site up of each printer mentioned in this thread. Reading over them today.

My kids would print stuff every day if I got the set up. They'd learn Fusion360 and SketchUp pretty quickly, too.
Creality will resume after power outage

As far as the kids, I ended up getting ours because the kids started to question the math that she was learning

I got the printer, and her started on Tinkercad and the light went on and she was off to the races

Top Back Refresh