What's new

The 3D printer thread

I've found adjustable reamers, the cheap Chinese ones, work great on 3d prints. The geometry cuts the plastic. As long as you have enough wall thickness just ream to size.

Well it came out great enough on standard quality but I got the layout of the connectors inverted...

1000005962.jpg

Well it came out great enough on standard quality but I got the layout of the connectors inverted...

1000005962.jpg
As in, you have to swap all the labels to the opposite end of the plate? Because that sucks. I’ve never labeled anything like that—looks like it kinda worked.

As in, you have to swap all the labels to the opposite end of the plate? Because that sucks. I’ve never labeled anything like that—looks like it kinda worked.
I am printing v2 now, and I really can't tell if I am fixing it or fucking it up differently:lmao:
Another guy built these PCB's and I think he didn't label them so when they are installed the business end would be layed out correctly...
The order might be fucked when I am done but they should be labeled correctly.
Working with text blows...

1691543354448.png

She ain't pretty but its gonna work fine.
I still need to figure out if this thing is going to fit in my cabinet and where to put it if it does.
I was planning on the side of the cabinet but damn if it doesn't look really big now that its put together. (no i didn't measure :shaking:)

1691583747593.png

You can glue PLA together with I think Acetone, by the way. I haven’t done it yet. I’ve glued TPU together with some nasty ass chemical, and that bond is TOUGH.

Also, I spy a backward 3 on whatever nerd-badassery we’re looking at, so good luck with your next version!

:flipoff2:

Really, this is amazing. I’ll have to try text at some point.

You can glue PLA together with I think Acetone, by the way. I haven’t done it yet. I’ve glued TPU together with some nasty ass chemical, and that bond is TOUGH.

Also, I spy a backward 3 on whatever nerd-badassery we’re looking at, so good luck with your next version!

:flipoff2:

Really, this is amazing. I’ll have to try text at some point.
Googler says CA glue sticks it together, probably just leave it loose on this deal.

What 3 is backwards? All the text was done in OnShape and just moved and rotated in to place, I don't see a backward 3 :homer:

The remaining piece was printed at 12am and ran all night with no problems, I'm pretty jazzed about what this might mean for my ability to get this cnc table built among other things.

She ain't pretty but its gonna work fine.
I still need to figure out if this thing is going to fit in my cabinet and where to put it if it does.
I was planning on the side of the cabinet but damn if it doesn't look really big now that its put together. (no i didn't measure :shaking:)

1691583747593.png
If you recess the text instead of making it proud you can then colorfill with paint for legibility. It also generally comes up cleaner.

If you recess the text instead of making it proud you can then colorfill with paint for legibility. It also generally comes up cleaner.
Good idea! This text was actually the wrong text for 3d printing, it was a dual line font and the slicer made it just the infill of the font which is basically just a single filament, not wide enough...

CA glue works well with PLA. I really like to use methylene chloride (dichloromethane) to solven weld PLA also. Will need to experiment with other materials to see if it works as well as it does with PLA

Anyone got any experience with using vapour smoothing?

I need to get this water tight....
PXL_20230809_054827265.MP.jpg

I live in a high humid environment and usually print directly from a dryer. Glued some hygrometers into the cereal containers and use them mostly for PETG that I use frequently. The other ones I stack extras of a color I'm not gonna use, but I keep hygrometers and renewable desiccants in them.
Searched the thread and this was the only mention of dryers I could find. Any recommendations or just buy one? We routinely have 60% to 90% humidity here through the summer.

Searched the thread and this was the only mention of dryers I could find. Any recommendations or just buy one? We routinely have 60% to 90% humidity here through the summer.
I have seen people have luck with a Tupperware tub with desiccentant packets, poke a hole for your filament to come out, just keep the whole spool, holder under the lid

I'd rather not deal with desiccants. I'm looking at the heater/fan ones and figuring I'd put the spool I'm going to use into it, dry it out for the recommended time, and then use it straight from the dryer.

This one got some good reviews on websites I looked at: Amazon.com

I like the idea of the double spool in this one - also that it looks more stable than the one above: Amazon.com

[Edit] For some reason, both links go to the Sunlu one. Trying to fix it...

Last edited:
I have 3 Sunlu S2's that now look like they are called Tecbears. Haven't had a problem with them, but had to print some accessories to get them to feed smoothly. I had an Eibos Easdry and it melted the petg and was just crap.

Go to plasticfantasticdeals.com or 3dprintingdeals.com and search dryer. The one I have goes on sale for $40 pretty regularly.

I'd rather not deal with desiccants. I'm looking at the heater/fan ones and figuring I'd put the spool I'm going to use into it, dry it out for the recommended time, and then use it straight from the dryer.

I like the idea of the double spool in this one - also that it looks more stable than the one above: Amazon.com
Stability wise I printed this table tray : Printables
and I would recommend buying some cereal containers to keep the dried filament semi dry. Amazon.com

This time around I wanted to start with a dryer so I didn't have to worry about wet filament being an issue this was $33 on Amazon with a roll of PLA and desiccant.
"KingRoon" brand but has ball bearing spindle for filament and a tube that connects all the way to the extruder so it says about a closed loop as it can get.

1000005529.jpg

DIN rail adapters, printed 5 of em cuz why not, next up is 221 Wago connector mounts for these adapters.

1000006057.jpg

I tried those print in place din rail things and could find one that didn't suck. Easier to buy the ones from automation direct and print adapters to boot to them

I run 2 of these Sunlu S1's in our high humidity area. No fans don't seem to be an issue. Once the filament is dry, I store it in these esun vacuum bags. Cheap, easy and no moisture issues.

20230812_092642.jpg

I've been printing for a while now and the spools of filament have been piling up everywhere, so I printed out some of these Repkord spool racks. They came out much nicer than I expected. its about 20' long and I can store about 65 or so spools up out of the way.

20230812_092843.jpg

I tried those print in place din rail things and could find one that didn't suck. Easier to buy the ones from automation direct and print adapters to boot to them
This one was stolen out of the OnShape public library, seems to be awesome in fit and will be easy to adapt to other shit.

The Wago connector holders are from the same guy and fit great.

[Edit] For some reason, both links go to the Sunlu one. Trying to fix it...

Well, went down the rabbit hole today trying to decide on a filament dryer. The Sunlu above got decent recommendations, except for tending to tip over and some people had issues with feeding to their printers. I sort of wanted the double spool dryer, but the Comgrow one above only goes to 50°C, which limits what it will dry. The Sunlu goes to 70°C. There are recommendations for up to 90°C for Nylon and Polycarbonate - although I see different temperature ranges from different sources.

I was seeing consistent recommendations for the Eibos Cyclopes: Amazon.com

But $153 was a bit spendy... So I started looking around and found the Eibos website had it for $120, which was in the ballpark of two of the Sunlu dryers: EIBOS 3D Filament Dryer CYCLOPES

During checkout there was a box for a discount code, so I did some searching and found: EIBOS5%OFF

That brought it down to $114 with free shipping. Done.

Top Back Refresh