What's new

Super Duty dick envy

Oddball

Member Number
Loc
Canaderp
Looking for advice guys. Here's the deal. Turbo 5.3, Nv4500, eco box 205. Kingpin 60. Im starting to think the kingpin isnt enough. I can build it with reid stuff blah blah blah, Or go super duty. It's really just a cost analysis. I would need to make the super duty passenger side drop. I want a selectable locker and big shafts. Canaderp dollars are a killer. I like the idea of an OX locker. Will I blow the KP shit up right away and be redoing it? Im torn. Buy once cry once is what I'm thinking. But If I do that, I should build a SD. Do I need to be thinking 40 splines and 2.5ton UJs?

Last edited:
Looking for advice guys. Here's the deal. Turbo 5.3, Nv4500, eco box 205. Kingpin 60. Im starting to think the kingpin isnt enough. I can build it with reid stuff blah blah blah, Or go super duty. It's really just a cost analysis. I would need to make the super duty passenger side drop. I want a selectable locker and big shafts. Canaderp dollars are a killer. I like the idea of an OX locker. Will I blow the KP shit up right away and be redoing it? Im torn. Buy once cry once is what I'm thinking. But If I do that, I should build a SD. Do I need to be thinking 40 splines and 2.5ton UJs?

You already answered your question(s)/concern...

I started ready the carnage thread and it has changed everything I thought I new. It got me thinking, well if im going to buy a locker. I might as well go 40 spline. If I go 40 spline ill need masive UJs. Then the kingpin stuff is to small. It's a snowballing thought process. Seems like the cost vs strength ratio is in favour of the SD. I found one without UBs for 150 bucks. So do I sell my KP or not. It's easy to get caught up in the hype.

I started ready the carnage thread and it has changed everything I thought I new. It got me thinking, well if im going to buy a locker. I might as well go 40 spline. If I go 40 spline ill need masive UJs. Then the kingpin stuff is to small. It's a snowballing thought process. Seems like the cost vs strength ratio is in favour of the SD. I found one without UBs for 150 bucks. So do I sell my KP or not. It's easy to get caught up in the hype.
What kind of wheelin' you going to be doing?

What kind of wheelin' you going to be doing?
Around here, everything is forest, unless ya find bed rock or a creek bed. However, in other parts of the province there are some pretty sticky rocks. If I decide to mud drag it, ill be doing boosted launches.

Sell that kingpin 60 to some hipster faggot for $2500. Use that money to build the Super 60. Lots of idiots out there paying big money for antiquated shit.

If you haven’t gotten started on the king pin axle, get your money back out of it and go Superduty. I’m sure you can sell your Chevy kingpin axle for more than double what you will pay for a SD one. pennsylvaniaboy made one into a passenger side drive in his garage.

If you haven’t gotten started on the king pin axle, get your money back out of it and go Superduty. I’m sure you can sell your Chevy kingpin axle for more than double what you will pay for a SD one. pennsylvaniaboy made one into a passenger side drive in his garage.
I paid 900 CAD for this 93 Dodge d60/70 combo( was once a deal). Id be happy getting that back. My only question now is, will 35 spline chromos and 1550 UJ hold up. My guess is, if I dont get to stupid in low low, it will. But if I need custom shafts and want a lock, maybe I spring the extra for 40 spline stuff?

I paid 900 CAD for this 93 Dodge d60/70 combo( was once a deal). Id be happy getting that back. My only question now is, will 35 spline chromos and 1550 UJ hold up. My guess is, if I dont get to stupid in low low, it will. But if I need custom shafts and want a lock, maybe I spring the extra for 40 spline stuff?
It’s never easier or cheaper to go 40 spline than when you have nothing and are starting from scratch. The 40 spline stuff is more expensive than 35 for sure. But if you break a 35’r are you going to be mad at yourself for sticking it in there in the first place?

I’ve gotten away with 35 spline in everything and never had 40 spline in anything yet. But if I was starting from scratch and wasn’t reusing or parts sharing I’d go 40 spline on a fresh build.

I still see value in kingpins. I believe they are a superior design to a ball joint. If you’re building an axle from scratch I’d look into the Reid super king pins. Takes the benefits from all the axles imo.

There's a new kingpin C and outer knuckle coming soon that will clear 1550 and 2.5T big bell joints from ECGS. I think that's all I'm allowed to say at the moment. If it takes off and the price stays kind of where they're targeting....the KP may be making a comeback (though granted, the SD 05+ BJ inner Cs effectively are converted to KP when you do a BJ eliminator anyway....the Cs are just still kind of spindly looking).

Frankly, I'm really shocked at all the cool things ECGS has going on that aren't at all reflected on their website....from offering Gearworks parts for substantially lower prices than GW direct to their new 14B complete steering axles with these new giant KPs. I don't know if that's an oversight on their part, a strategy or if they just haven't gotten their marketing up and running. Their website is not really easy to find parts though. It usually takes a call or email to get all of the parts needed, which in this day and age seems antiquated.

Reid super king pin will already do that IIRC Sean. A few years ago already a friend built a set of GW 9's with Super KP outers and 1550's for a guy.

Super kingpin knuckle

I will say unless this vehicle is running and driving already built there's no way I'd do a stock type JY KP in it. I stick with my KP for a few key reasons but I break it with less than 200hp and stickys. Resell the KP, swap tubes on the SD60 and go 40 spline right from the start.

here is another thought. 14 bolt steer axle with 40 spines and 1550s. set to super duty width and buy yukon shafts off the shelf. 300 buck and you can buy a spool for 14 bolt that is 40 spline. i am going down this road currently and this is the direction i am leaning. but not 100 percent sold on the cost side yet.

the cost difference is not much as you think going 35 to 40 spline
1702307989126.png

Reid super king pin will already do that IIRC Sean. A few years ago already a friend built a set of GW 9's with Super KP outers and 1550's for a guy.

Super kingpin knuckle

I will say unless this vehicle is running and driving already built there's no way I'd do a stock type JY KP in it. I stick with my KP for a few key reasons but I break it with less than 200hp and stickys. Resell the KP, swap tubes on the SD60 and go 40 spline right from the start.
Yes...it will. But this seems to be another level above that from what I've seen. Unfortunately, I'm not really at liberty to say more than I have at this point.

so humor me this, if you putting new Cs on why cant you just weld on SD Cs and go from there? beside custom length shafts for 1550 joint in king pin axle.

Does a SD60 R&P hold up to 40 spline? One guy I follow closely with an LS3, 42s and about 5100 lbs broke a SD60 R&P but not 40 spline shafts. He also broke a sterling 10.5 with only chromo 35 spline shafts.

Does a SD60 R&P hold up to 40 spline? One guy I follow closely with an LS3, 42s and about 5100 lbs broke a SD60 R&P but not 40 spline shafts. He also broke a sterling 10.5 with only chromo 35 spline shafts.
this was my concern as well witch lead me down the 14 bolt 40 spline path. research i mean

Yeah, makes no sense to move the weak link to the R&P. If you're going 40 spline, I'd think going to a 14B center makes a helluva lot of sense. EDIT though I'd also wager that it all depends on one's driving style, where you wheel, hp/tire size too.... I've got a RJ60 that I'd probably put 40 spline shafts in with 1550 joints and SD 05+ outers under the wife's JLUR....and since it doesn't run stickies, she doesn't wheel it hard, it has the stock engine and we'd probably run 40s on it....it would probably just be bomb proof. 35 spline probably wouldn't break in that scenario either though TBH, but as you're finding, it's not that much more expensive if building from scratch to go 40.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh