What's new

Stock Market 2020

Boeing is too big to fail and gigantic military contractor. Buy them below $100 and cheap IMO. You may not get a dividend, but the company isn't going anywhere anytime soon because military.

This is my take on Boeing as well. I bought 25k when they were at 125, then bought another 5k at 150. Figure long term hold with a good dividend, they aren't going anywhere.

Boeing cut dividends. Buddy thinks it's going to come back, but the biggest reason is they're not paying dividends so no one wants to keep it anymore. IT's nice when you have enough shares to get an additional share each time a dividend is issued.

Boeing thinks they will loose money into 2022, they are cutting production and borrowing money. I wouldn’t expect them to come back for a number of years. Like oil, it’s a long term play, but holding 2-4 years could pay off.

alright, serious question that may not be appropraitly related.

How does one buy "junk bonds" or "high yeild bonds" or whatever they are? i.e. corporate debt from people trying to raise money with enough risk that they turn to bond sales. i've seen reports and things talking about what you say, 6-10% yield ranges.

I went ahead and parked $4k into a CD at 2% for a couple years, because it had just been sititng getting near 0% for several years and 2% beats nothing. it'll probably be another year, but i'd like to park another small wad somewhere, or hell dump my current side stepping stocks, into one of those things because a solid 6% isn't bad at all

High yield bonds pay crap right now, look at my earlier post for some names that stock pays nicely. There is risk like anything else.

High yield bonds pay crap right now, look at my earlier post for some names that stock pays nicely. There is risk like anything else.

ah, WES and USB both pay a decent dividend, so i'm hanging on to a bit of those just because

I'll just add it looks like the market is forming a double top. It may make a short run up, but it's a pretty bearish technical pattern.

I'll just add it looks like the market is forming a double top. It may make a short run up, but it's a pretty bearish technical pattern.

Wow, I hadn't looked at a chart of the Dow or NASDAQ for a while and you sure look correct on this. I would love to see the QQQ drop to 250 or less. Have been really wanting to open a position there.

Edit: and just like that Google, Amazon, and Facebook release great earnings and QQQ going to head up again. I can't win lately with this market.

Last edited:
Where did you get a 2% CD. I parked 100k in one at like a 10th of a percent till after the election. I'd love to be getting 2%:eek:

If 100k only made me 2k after 12 months, I'd be pissed. I thought the idea of a CD died with my great grandparents.

I have a 5% bond and cant wait for it to get called.

If 100k only made me 2k after 12 months, I'd be pissed. I thought the idea of a CD died with my great grandparents.

I have a 5% bond and cant wait for it to get called.

Only 6 months. Matures January. Just parked it to get past the election.

Just remember, every time you lose, someone else wins!

Haha, usually true. But in the case of my above point, I guess I didn't lose, just didn't do anything yet. Oddly the QQQ is down today. Really hard to figure this market out. I still don't like the idea of buying it until it dips to around 250. But I may never get that chance.

Haha, usually true. But in the case of my above point, I guess I didn't lose, just didn't do anything yet. Oddly the QQQ is down today. Really hard to figure this market out. I still don't like the idea of buying it until it dips to around 250. But I may never get that chance.

I still think we re-visit the March lows within 6 months, probably 3 months. We never confirmed that bottom from a technical perspective that’s a 10% chance. So put in your stop losses.

I still think we re-visit the March lows within 6 months, probably 3 months. We never confirmed that bottom from a technical perspective that’s a 10% chance. So put in your stop losses.

i'll be more than happy to dump more money in if we hit those lows again. i think it greatly depends on the energy of the election and results dispute process though.

i'm still happy to have taken 1/3 out a while back and not added any since though :)

I kind of hope you are correct. I'm generally a buy and hold person. Actually, almost all of the sales I have ever made I have regretted. (Aside from my selling RIG at $85. Best trade I ever made). Most recently was FB trade. Bought @ 150, sold @232. Nice gain but I could have made a good bit more. Since all of my individual stock trading is in an IRA, I don't need it to be up for another 15 years. So I will just keep buying as things dip and hold it.

This is my take on Boeing as well. I bought 25k when they were at 125, then bought another 5k at 150. Figure long term hold with a good dividend, they aren't going anywhere.

Pretty sure people like me felt the same way about GM and Chrysler. They failed on paper and the stock was worthless. No roll over to the new company valued AFTER the bailout. Boeing might not go out of business, but they can fail and restructure and get a bailout. They could also continue to lose money while not ‘failing’ and be worth HALF of what it is today in a year.

Scared money don't make money. I'm still up around 6,000 on the trade. If it drops to 130 I'll sell my shares and try and lower my basis. Its not my entire portfolio not even close just some money I had lying around. I also bought jack in the box when they were supposed to go bankrupt and made 200% on that deal. You take your good decision with the bad. Lately I've just been day trading SAVE.

As for the 737 maxx that is a engineering by accountants problem by Boeing. Then compounded by poor pilot training/ experience.

don't dabble much in stocks, but getting very tempted to drop a chunk of $$ into Exxon with a 2-4 year hold plan, if not longer. The dividend is a big factor in my thinking, and I still don't see them going away anytime soon

Things sure have bounced back in the last 2 days. To me it seems like the market thinks Trump is going to win.

Things sure have bounced back in the last 2 days. To me it seems like the market thinks Trump is going to win.

huh.

i think the market is just trying to wait it out, went down a bit, up a bit, it will likely be down until the court cases over the election go through, i dunno. imma check back in a month :laughing:

edit: currently i've got $1,235 in the account. BP is finally back to juuuust above where i bought it and PCG is still about $1/share below where i sold it to buy the BP :rasta:

This is what I'm predicting. Trump wins and the market(as a whole, not just stock) is going to start runnin and gunnin.

Biden wins and you'll have to wear a mask on your asshole to prevent getting raped.

Well if you guys followed my advice from about a month or six weeks ago, you would be mostly cash, and this sell off and bounce would not have affected you at all.

Or if you are in it for the long term, this is just a blip on the radar.

Or you were like me and ignored that sage advice and have had a real roller coaster ride since last Monday - bigger account swings than March, and approaching what I saw in early Sept.To be honest, I failed to sell when I wanted due to the Cameron Peak fire situation - I was more concerned saving our house from burning and the aftermath of the fire coming through the canyon - I actively fought and managed to save our home, 2 closest neighbors lost theirs. And I could not trade and close positions as I really needed. As a result my swing trade accounts are down about 10% since mid Oct, I expect to recover those paper losses in short order as long as the election is not contested

Biden wins, market goes up because there will be massive stimulus come Jan/Feb and bailouts for every democratic state and city with their hands out. Dollar will fall, Gold probably a good hedge

Trump wins, market goes up because he will be in fuck you mode, and there will be stimulus, just for a whole different bunch of crooks

Contested election and it drags on, I think you could see as much as a 10% retraction in the SPY, currently 336ish, but expect more towards 327 to 322 to 318.50 then 302 area. Shit really hits the fan 297 then 292.

2016 Markets sold off 9 days straight into and including election day. This year consistent sell off, dead cat bounce Thursday, not exactly sure what the rally yesterday and today (so far) actually mean. Possibly just that the money guys do not see a contested election, and don't see a so called blue wave

I hope some of you followed the NIO trade I mentioned, been long since 6-ish, many adds, and quite a few short and long term option positions, was 35.xx this morning. 300% on latest roll up of options, have $20, $25 and $30 calls for next year and beyond, all green. DO NOT chase here, wait for a pull back first, ideally around 27.50, but these e-car stocks are hot so even sub 30 may be a good entry. If so stops around 27.50 define your risk

JKS - solar company that had a massive run up, would benefit from Biden and green new deal. Been short since mid 80's and even been bag holding some $55 puts that are close to green again. Will cut if Biden wins, but could fall further if Trump gets reelected

Optimistically, earnings in general have been good, or better than forecast. Even with the latest Chinese flu surge projections for Q4 are not terrible, but if Biden gets in and we see another country wide shut down - look out below. Suspect Trump leaves those decisions to the states, and impact wont be nearly as dire.

But all good earnings were met with sell offs, suggesting a risk off attitude through this week. Still many big companies to report, and honestly, this recent sell off will look like a good buying time in a few months when we are back to printing money to keep the bankers happy and stocks bounce back

I probably won't go back to full positions until next week, or if contested, I might just sit out until it gets resolved - nothing worse than having the market move on every little head line.

Glad you were able to save your home, a few percent on some stocks is nothing compared to that.

Where is a good place to invest in gold in the stock market?

Glad you were able to save your home, a few percent on some stocks is nothing compared to that.

Where is a good place to invest in gold in the stock market?

Read up a few posts for one of Norm's recent posts, he mentions some specific stuff he is interested in, and some of those pay dividends too I believe

I have GOLD - Barrick Gold, so one of the mining companies. Hedge only in case the market takes a dive

Think there are also ETF's that would cover gold. I do not buy or trade actual metal because that brings a host of other issues (storage costs and transfer costs) so for me I prefer the liquidity of actual equity

Silver as a buy product of gold possibly too. I am long SLV and long options for year end and next year. again mostly hedging just in case, and gold and silver are not terrible to bag hold (apart form lousy returns)

Norm, what do you recommend?

Read up a few posts for one of Norm's recent posts, he mentions some specific stuff he is interested in, and some of those pay dividends too I believe

I have GOLD - Barrick Gold, so one of the mining companies. Hedge only in case the market takes a dive

Think there are also ETF's that would cover gold. I do not buy or trade actual metal because that brings a host of other issues (storage costs and transfer costs) so for me I prefer the liquidity of actual equity

Silver as a buy product of gold possibly too. I am long SLV and long options for year end and next year. again mostly hedging just in case, and gold and silver are not terrible to bag hold (apart form lousy returns)

Norm, what do you recommend?

I think everyone should have some physical silver or gold stashed away. As far as a hedge on the dollar, Barrick gold is good play and pays 1%. It seems to act like a 2-3:1 leverage on the physical metal so it’s more volatile. GLD is pure play. A Biden win and a Republican held senate might not play out well for more stimulus, so I would hang till tomorrow before pulling the trigger. I’m mostly a pussy and holding cash. The market seems to want to go down as a general bias, lots of sell on the news. Don’t be fooled by small pops, watch the direction of the trend lines

I think gold and silver is a good hedge for government money printing. Commodities are going to go up as the US prints more money, most of Europe’s doing the same. I might slide some $$ into Asia, but that’s usually a shit play longer term.

Market obviously likes that house and senate look to remain in Dem and Repub hands, regardless of who ends up getting to 270 on the EC

Took a couple grand hit on the SPY puts I carried overnight as a hedge, but the rest of the positions more than made up for it.

WTF NIO, no pull back, gapped up, and tagged 39 before coming back to 36 then grinding to 37.50ish close. Down to a very small partial in the day trade account, and stopped out most of the short term (next week to next month options) on the pull back. Then rolled profits into higher strikes with more time. This has momentum, it got a decent analyst upgrade, and could do a NKLA if $40 breaks with volume. unless day or swing trading, this looks extended to the upside for the longer term buyer, and risk / reward is not what I like, so be careful taking a new position, and if you do set a pretty tight stop and be prepared to take the loss if momentum reverses.

Be very careful until we actually have a winner declared. I could see some consolidation or even pull back once that is known, so most of my trades for this week will be 1/8 or 1/4 size only

SLV took a dive today, well my options for Dec did, whereas GOLD went nowhere. But both are kinda hedges so just have to accept the bleeding.

Stocks I am watching, no positions yet
SHAK - target $76
FEYE - target 15.11 then 15.50, stops at or just below 13.00 and once green go to trailing stop
TWTR - think oversold, could see $46.57 as first target, initial stop around $40, then go trailing once green
CAT - probably sell calls out of the money to collect premium,
AMZN - think there is room back to 3300 short term, stops around yesterdays lows,
BYND - oversold, potential to 171

Also on the list, SPCE BABA and DKNG (bag holding big time but short term room to 43ish)

I read something today that suggested margin loans are spiking signaling we are close to a peak. Just another technical indication to be careful. If we get a crash and gold drops I’ll be a buyer.

Double top a few weeks ago as you posted. Now almost close to triple top. You can only knock on the ceiling so many times before you
break through or
fall off the ladder

all the analysts and experts today seem to think more stimulus will mean higher market. No mention of the printing of money and the consequences. Actually heard one guy say that giving the man on the street more .gov money will lead to such confidence that they will start spending their savings. Even if they are not back at work yet. WTF man?

Look how many people get into cc debt. Now you have gov giving them 'free' money, everything used priced higher than giraffe pussy, wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of bankruptcies are in the future. Especially when people have to start paying backed rent/ mortgage as well as current monthly payments. Also comericial real estate looks like it is going to fall off a cliff, majority of office workers are work from home till end of Jan at a minimum or indefinitely. Will be interesting but definitely isn't inspiring confidence in the markets besides keep up with inflation when the fed decides to print a few more trillion.

Top Back Refresh