What's new

Siberian Express....

Honest question because I genuinely have never thought about it-

You (anyone) live in this environment, why is a heated/insulated garage not standard issue? I don't mean room- temp comfortable "heated"... but just enough heat source to keep it at or just below freezing... full retard insulation... insulated door(s) etc. etc. Standard 2 car for the daily drivers.

I can't fathom year after year, spending an hour every morning trying to get a vehicle to start or be able to move so I can go to work.

Am I missing something? :confused:
I find that more shit goes wrong when I park in the heated garage. The hot then cold can cause a whole new set of problems vs just leaving it at a steady temp.

bonus of waste oil in the diesel

no cloud point, no gelling

just dump in a few extra gallons of gasoline before it gets cold and it's good for any temperature

Honest question because I genuinely have never thought about it-

You (anyone) live in this environment, why is a heated/insulated garage not standard issue? I don't mean room- temp comfortable "heated"... but just enough heat source to keep it at or just below freezing... full retard insulation... insulated door
Yes, even being " southern" we see lower temps than most because we are 5-600ft lower in a big fawkn ditch, key is inside 5-10°c doesn't melt everything off and make a mess, tires don't go flat, diffs and tranny are happier. I ran the same truck for 20yrs in the oil patch throughout every single storm/cold spell running company people around to get home cuz tow truck coming for they're new junk).
If can't be kept inside there's ways around it, wabasco type heatrs or inline cycling coolant heaters on top of regular block heeetr or better yet oil cooler like the cold loving bastard 7.3. Another must trick if below -30c is to wedge something to depress the clutch when you park it warm so you don't have to push it on start up.
-47c ambient this day, piece of cardboard covering most of rad truck didn't care.
IMG_0795.JPG

excuse me, but I need to look up what a 112,000lb excavator looks like.

excuse me, but I need to look up what a 112,000lb excavator looks like.

Google cat 349. It's a big machine, but not that huge, you've definitely seen one at least that big on the side of a highway or working a subdivision, equipment be heavy.

Our 5" snow storm turned into a foot or more today, chased our tails moving snow all day today. Still need to go out early and clean everything up good.

Another must trick if below -30c is to wedge something to depress the clutch when you park it warm so you don't have to push it on start up.
always disable the clutch safety
it might not really make the thrust bearings in the engine last longer, but it makes me feel good, so...

always disable the clutch safety
it might not really make the thrust bearings in the engine last longer, but it makes me feel good, so...
Sure that's fine n dandy fer where it don't git cold enough to have to use enough force to wonder what's gunna burst inna gawd dam hydro clutch set up when the syrup inside is more viscuz than cold gizum.
But hey whatever works, disabling the switch don't disengage the Tranny.

Dad learned this on his Greenbrier van do not set the E brake if you are expecting freezing weather and they get wet! I thought we were never going to get them loose!

I find that more shit goes wrong when I park in the heated garage. The hot then cold can cause a whole new set of problems vs just leaving it at a steady temp.
So don't keep it that "hot"?

It's gonna be -30... so run the heat in a way that it peaks at 15-20. Not warm enough to go from Hawaii garage to Antarctica outside... but still warm enough that it cranks and the fluids are semi- liquid.

:confused:

So don't keep it that "hot"?

It's gonna be -30... so run the heat in a way that it peaks at 15-20. Not warm enough to go from Hawaii garage to Antarctica outside... but still warm enough that it cranks and the fluids are semi- liquid.

:confused:
Nah, that's still pretty pointless.

I keep my garage between 35-45... I have 2 deep freezers and a fridge out there with the cars. Do you know what happens when a fridge or freezer experience sub-freezing temps? They turn into ovens instead.

Big ole red extreme storm warning is slowly turning into a nothing burger.

Got an inch of snow yesterday, no wind (yet), and it's 28* right now.
Unless it changes fast we're gonna miss this whole storm and just get cold tonight, -7 or so.

yea plugged in, my truck starts just fine at -20.

Sure that's fine n dandy fer where it don't git cold enough to have to use enough force to wonder what's gunna burst inna gawd dam hydro clutch set up when the syrup inside is more viscuz than cold gizum.
But hey whatever works, disabling the switch don't disengage the Tranny.
shifter into neutral, bro

shifter into neutral, bro
I leave my Kubota in neutral after I shut it down. there's been so many times I'd leave it in gear, and won't pop out not allowing me to start it. I end up having to take the ATV and push the tractor forwards enough to get it to unlock.

Nah, that's still pretty pointless.

I keep my garage between 35-45... I have 2 deep freezers and a fridge out there with the cars. Do you know what happens when a fridge or freezer experience sub-freezing temps? They turn into ovens instead.
45 here overnight but it's on a timer thermostat so it cranks up to 65 at about 6 am. That way the truck is toasty when I leave for work. Then back down to 45 around 8.

. Another must trick if below -30c is to wedge something to depress the clutch when you park it warm so you don't have to push it on start up. -47c ambient this day, piece of cardboard covering most of rad truck didn't care.

That's minus 52 Fahrenheit. -52 Not counting or adding wind chill. Where teh fook are you ?

meh. get the sand ready and avoid travel if you can. people here are all panicking.

Siberia bad. I keep seeing it referred to as "bomb cyclone."

They're already backing off on the snow totals here. Just focusing on the wind chill and wind speed. Says a once in a generation storm, just a few years removed from a week of polar vortex. Stay scared, people!

meh. get the sand ready and avoid travel if you can. people here are all panicking.

I really hate the way everything is a fucking cause for panic these days. "omg, RECORD breaking xxxxx, make sure you panic and buy the stores out of some unnecessary item" :homer:

Just be prepared to stay home with possibly no power for a few days.

stay scared is right. its so stupid.

Gonna fawk up a bunch of peoples holiday plans either way.
Glad its forecast to just miss us. Will turn the light on in the wellhouse tonight in case it swings a little more south than its supposed to.

At work we have a 330g tote of def with a little hand pump on it. The hose and pump were froze solid.

I figured it would have to be a lot colder than single digits for that to happen.

Top Back Refresh