What's new

Siberian Express....

I try not to get caught up in the hype as it makes me anxious, we have had cold snaps for as long as I can remember. I just hope the power doesn't go out. I don't mind running my generator for a few hours at a time but hate running it all night but I will to keep the furnace going if I have to. Reminds me I better get my gas can filled up.
I was just thinking today that we have been pretty lucky as far as temps, we've only seen one night in the single digits.
We can't change it so take it as it comes, just be smart about it.
I spent the winter of '93-'94 at Killington VT, we had a stretch of 3 weeks where it never got warmer than -10f and most nights it was -40f+

My heart bleeds for 90% of yall. It's 45 below here right now, I've been in and out for the last couple of hours getting stuff plugged in, chargers on batteries etc. So far I got GF Eco sport running and her on the way after a half hour warm up. My F150 may be a big fat no go. I've gotten it plugged in and warming sort of but holey moly do these new rigs like to flip out when the battery is too weak to start them.

So far all accessories won't shut off, alarm is flipping out, it keeps trying to remote start and I am surprised the windows aren't going up and down by themselves at this point. I am really hopeing after another hour plugged in I can get it running. If so It's gonna run most of the day while I finish up my running around, once I get home I'll plug it back in and set the starter to run it for 15 min every 3 or 4 hours or so for the next few days.

My heart bleeds for 90% of yall. It's 45 below here right now, I've been in and out for the last couple of hours getting stuff plugged in, chargers on batteries etc. So far I got GF Eco sport running and her on the way after a half hour warm up. My F150 may be a big fat no go. I've gotten it plugged in and warming sort of but holey moly do these new rigs like to flip out when the battery is too weak to start them.

So far all accessories won't shut off, alarm is flipping out, it keeps trying to remote start and I am surprised the windows aren't going up and down by themselves at this point. I am really hopeing after another hour plugged in I can get it running. If so It's gonna run most of the day while I finish up my running around, once I get home I'll plug it back in and set the starter to run it for 15 min every 3 or 4 hours or so for the next few days.
Honest question because I genuinely have never thought about it-

You (anyone) live in this environment, why is a heated/insulated garage not standard issue? I don't mean room- temp comfortable "heated"... but just enough heat source to keep it at or just below freezing... full retard insulation... insulated door(s) etc. etc. Standard 2 car for the daily drivers.

I can't fathom year after year, spending an hour every morning trying to get a vehicle to start or be able to move so I can go to work.

Am I missing something? :confused:

You (anyone) live in this environment, why is a heated/insulated garage not standard issue? I don't mean room- temp comfortable "heated"... but just enough heat source to keep it at or just below freezing... full retard insulation... insulated door(s) etc. etc. Standard 2 car for the daily drivers.

I can't fathom year after year, spending an hour every morning trying to get a vehicle to start or be able to move so I can go to work.

This is why I just spent a crap load on insulating one of my pole sheds. I was getting sick of the circus every morning getting stuff going.

-36 C here this morning (I think I am about 3 hours south of Lawless?). The company car ford escape started up without even being plugged in. :flipoff2:.
As to why we don't have super insulated garages - I think it is a matter of cost effectiveness. This cold is really only an issue for 2, maybe 3 weeks a year. Most well maintained vehicles should be good to about -15 or -20, then plug in beyond that. Diesel is another story of course. My superduty hasn't moved in over a week and won't until we see at least -5. Xmas day is forecast for +4 c :eek:
Would I kill for a heated , insulated garage right now? Yes I would. But in about 2 months it would just become another place to store stuff, which would still be full of stuff when the next cold snap comes a year from now.

Or just install a battery maintainer, battery heater, and a block heater. Or even an oil pan heater if you're feeling crazy.:flipoff2:

I own a home with a heated garage, most of here on my road do actually. 99% of the others have the garage crammed to the rafters with crap so no room for a car. I keep mine empty of non essentials and what do you know GF little car fits and I could put my truck next to it but tha stupid garage is about a foot too shallow for it to fit lenghtwise.:shaking: I would be OK if I went with the 5.5 ft box but a long box in a big fat nope.:confused:

It's all my fault for not plugging the truck in but I haven't plugged one in in about 20 some years, I've always been proud of keeping my junk up well enough to the point of it starting in this cold.:homer:

I spent the winter of '93-'94 at Killington VT, we had a stretch of 3 weeks where it never got warmer than -10f and most nights it was -40f+
Was there for a weekend that year for a boy scout ski trip. The cabin we rented froze solid, so they gave us what was left in the main building. I slept on the couch in the lobby. Dad's car froze solid. My friends ski broke in half from landing a jump wrong. It was an adventure :laughing:.

I own a home with a heated garage, most of here on my road do actually. 99% of the others have the garage crammed to the rafters with crap so no room for a car. I keep mine empty of non essentials and what do you know GF little car fits and I could put my truck next to it but tha stupid garage is about a foot too shallow for it to fit lenghtwise.:shaking: I would be OK if I went with the 5.5 ft box but a long box in a big fat nope.:confused:

It's all my fault for not plugging the truck in but I haven't plugged one in in about 20 some years, I've always been proud of keeping my junk up well enough to the point of it starting in this cold.:homer:
Ok, so it's not as big a deal as I'm thinking.

I'm just trying to relate, for my region I imagine cars won't start and get wonky 95 degrees and above... 2 months a year I gotta go push my truck into the shade and hose it down for a while to cool it off so it will crank... run out the extension cord and 48" shop fan etc... I'd think after the 1st summer I'd have all daily drivers taken care of... maybe even a window unit in the garage set at 90 degrees or something. :laughing:

I remember one cold winter and I had either an Audi wagon with V6 or Mercedes wagon with inline 6. Got the car started on a brutally cold morning (much success) and went inside to let it warm up. Looked outside a few minutes later and there is a puddle forming under the car and when I go out I hear this schmucking sound. That car had some sort of oil cooler or heater sealed by orings. Turns out after a few years of heat cycling the orings tend to blow out at the worst possible time and the engine will just happily pump all its oil out if left running. :homer:

Ok, so it's not as big a deal as I'm thinking.

I'm just trying to relate, for my region I imagine cars won't start and get wonky 95 degrees and above... 2 months a year I gotta go push my truck into the shade and hose it down for a while to cool it off so it will crank... run out the extension cord and 48" shop fan etc... I'd think after the 1st summer I'd have all daily drivers taken care of... maybe even a window unit in the garage set at 90 degrees or something. :laughing:
oh, the tractor gets plugged in. truck has a heat blanket over the battery and the block. I've got a trickle charger setup in the garage with four units off it. each has a 25' SAE plugs for the three bikes and the ATV.

my big fear is the trees. 2" of rain followed by single degree temps, they reallllllly start leaning. throw in some wind, you're in trouble. I've got four utility poles leading up to my house and more than likely a tree ends up on them over the winter. the worst are the three 100'+ pines surrounding my house. those start listing over and I'm just waiting for the giant snap of that thing followed by an enormous crunch.

crappy shitboxes catch fire sometimes
outside parking is less than ideal, but it beats fire

I do plan on a boiler shed type of structure for parking, but it'll be detached

I remember one cold winter and I had either an Audi wagon with V6 or Mercedes wagon with inline 6. Got the car started on a brutally cold morning (much success) and went inside to let it warm up. Looked outside a few minutes later and there is a puddle forming under the car and when I go out I hear this schmucking sound. That car had some sort of oil cooler or heater sealed by orings. Turns out after a few years of heat cycling the orings tend to blow out at the worst possible time and the engine will just happily pump all its oil out if left running. :homer:
brotip, the o-ring behind the cooler is usually the same as the o-ring on the oil filter
stick an old oil filter one back there every few oil changes

oh, the tractor gets plugged in. truck has a heat blanket over the battery and the block. I've got a trickle charger setup in the garage with four units off it. each has a 25' SAE plugs for the three bikes and the ATV.

my big fear is the trees. 2" of rain followed by single degree temps, they reallllllly start leaning. throw in some wind, you're in trouble. I've got four utility poles leading up to my house and more than likely a tree ends up on them over the winter. the worst are the three 100'+ pines surrounding my house. those start listing over and I'm just waiting for the giant snap of that thing followed by an enormous crunch.
Oh those big old leaning pines. My last house had a few and every time the wind got to blowing good I started sweating. I sure don't miss close trees in the new house. I love being able to sleep through a storm here now.:laughing:

48* drop over 12-15 hours forecast for Thursday night, with some rain or ice to boot. Brine trucks will porbably be out by lunchtime tomorrow, and the grocery and liquor stores will be packed.

drop.jpg

A few years ago when Texas got hit, we had snow, then freezing rain and then snow again. I sat on my porch and listened to the trees snapping limbs off one after another. it went on for hours. I am so glad I don't have any trees over my house.

The brine has already been sprayed on bridges here in some areas:lmao:

Everywhere I've been today everyone asks me if I'm ready for the cold. I just smile and say "yeah"

Only supposed to get down to -1 or something. I don't even plug the diesel in till its below zero...I might have to this time...nah shit'll fire off.:laughing:

I'm more worried about water lines at the new place. I didn't put em in so I guess we'll see.

It was -6⁰ when I left for work, topped out at 1⁰ this afternoon. I was outside most of the day training new drivers (means most of the time involved me on the ground by the truck as a safety net to ensure they didn't hit anything.

Being this cold can have it's advantages, though. Text from the wife:
Screenshot_20221220-153349.png

A few years ago when Texas got hit, we had snow, then freezing rain and then snow again. I sat on my porch and listened to the trees snapping limbs off one after another. it went on for hours. I am so glad I don't have any trees over my house.
We had it worse over here during the great ice storm of 99. I think you guys were on the edge and didn't get it so bad.

That storm killed as many trees as an asteroid impact. Small trees crushed to death right away... big trees lost so many limbs they died a year or 2 later. Only thing that made it was the smedium trees.

I had a monster pecan in the front yard that dropped a limb 18" at the base that covered both mine and my neighbors yard. 2 years later it was dead and the landlord had it cut down.

It was -6⁰ when I left for work, topped out at 1⁰ this afternoon. I was outside most of the day training new drivers (means most of the time involved me on the ground by the truck as a safety net to ensure they didn't hit anything.

Being this cold can have it's advantages, though. Text from the wife:
Screenshot_20221220-153349.png
So she's gonna make you a pot of chicken noodles soup then?:laughing::flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh