What's new

Shopping for a .45 1911

We both know that 9mm one is going to get the piss shot out of it, while that 45 will remain handy, to show off to the other purists :laughing:

And what you save by shooting 9mm instead of 45, will pay for that second pistol pretty quick..................
We have a major reloader in town. Think I paid $215 for 1000 rds last time of 9.

Was told the Garrison isn’t a CA gun. Been looking at that one.

Not to many springfields under $1k are on the list. Handguns Certified for Sale

Springfield Loaded is on the california list though.

Last edited:
We have a major reloader in town. Think I paid $215 for 1000 rds last time of 9.
Thats $.215 per round, not bad. Ammoseek is showing stuff for $.16/rd and I just bought a bunch of 147g subs for $.19/rd

Eric, the roster lawsuit should be coming up in 24 sooner than later? Ya might see how the wind blows on this before you buy...

Not to many springfields under $1k are on the list. Handguns Certified for Sale

Springfield Loaded is on the california list though.

No Colt 1911’s are legal? Bizarre.

IMG_0253.jpeg

I will say this about that: My friend got a lower tier 9mm 1911. It functioned flawlessly until the front sight fell off. The front sight wasn't a dovetail, IIRC, it was staked in by two pins from the underside of the slide. Can't find a replacement and doesn't want to JB weld it. So be aware...

Narrow tenon:

Wide tenon:

Looked at a Springfield 1911 A-1, leaning that way. Gotta rent one next week. They had a near-new rental for sale for $775 but that’s only $120 off. Not many are CA compliant.
Don't need to buy one from the store inventory, can order one that is CA compliant. SA has 11 models, Kimber (bleh) has some, RIA offers 1-2 models, etc.

Agreed. And that brass is almost always free too
I'm told it is a stronger case head, but there are better options out there for that dance...
about to buy a bag of starline's +p brass and a bag of their super brass
there's a lot of bad info about their internal dimensions

I'm told it is a stronger case head, but there are better options out there for that dance...
about to buy a bag of starline's +p brass and a bag of their super brass
there's a lot of bad info about their internal dimensions

If I want to hot rod a handgun, I'll load up some elephant loads for a 44mag. :laughing: I mainly run the SP 45 brass because thats what comes in the cheaper ammo. And is what is normally found in all the rockpits and landings around here.

I've got a longslide 21 that can bark really loud when you put a bunch of longshot behind a 230
gotta get a comp for it before I work the load up to the point that the primers start looking flat enough
the slide velocity gets pretty gonzo without, while with standard pressure 45 it's ejecting right at your feet

I could see that being fun. Not as fun as a high capacity 9mm 1911, but still fun

IMG_5264.jpeg

Has anyone said you should get a really nice full size 9MM yet? It’s a sweet marriage of Allied power and Axis power from WWII, and pisses everyone off. Right up until they shoot it.
I have a 1971 colt series 70 9mm and thoroughly enjoy it. I would enjoy it more than my .45 if it wasn't for the shit factory sights, but it’s a great period piece so I have no plans to change them.

I have a 1971 colt series 70 9mm and thoroughly enjoy it. I would enjoy it more than my .45 if it wasn't for the shit factory sights,

I have learned in this thread. That as long as you shoot with both eyes open, you hardly even need the sights

Don't need to buy one from the store inventory, can order one that is CA compliant. SA has 11 models, Kimber (bleh) has some, RIA offers 1-2 models, etc.
The local Range / Gun store is owned by my younger son’s Scoutmaster (he’s 21 now.) He’s also a good friend and a neighbor and he gets my money for all things gun. We rented 2 lanes for an hour, bought a box of 9, .45 and rented 2 guns. Was $75 for the 3 of us for an hour with both rentals and the ammo.

I am super left eye dominant, I don't even shoot shotguns with both eyes open :laughing:

I'm both eyes open for everything. I'm also not handicapped though :flipoff2:

Think it really just boils down to what guys are shooting at. Big difference between shooting paper at 10yards vrs chasing shotgun shells across a rock pit:laughing:

The local Range / Gun store is owned by my younger son’s Scoutmaster (he’s 21 now.) He’s also a good friend and a neighbor and he gets my money for all things gun. We rented 2 lanes for an hour, bought a box of 9, .45 and rented 2 guns. Was $75 for the 3 of us for an hour with both rentals and the ammo.

AND..................?

I'm both eyes open for everything. I'm also not handicapped though :flipoff2:

Think it really just boils down to what guys are shooting at. Big difference between shooting paper at 10yards vrs chasing shotgun shells across a rock pit:laughing:

AND..................?
Oops wrong quote. Was responding to “you can order one”. I will be spending my money local.

I am super left eye dominant, I don't even shoot shotguns with both eyes open :laughing:
Same on the left eye dominant, I'm right handed. both eyes open, head turned to the right so left eye is more in line with the sights. It feels goofy at first, and I've caught shit over it, but ring the gong enough times and people shut up.

I have this problem. Pistols are one of the times it doesn’t matter—I just hold it in front of my left eye with a right hand grip. Otherwise, I’d have to tape the eye off like I do with shotgun stuff, since I lost the ability to close it independently in a wreck.

Top Back Refresh