What's new

Shopping for a .45 1911

Some Mfg.s are offering grip inserts to tailor your weapons grip.
The Para was fat.
The new stuff? I Dunno?
The Smith & Wesson M&P pistols come with three different back-straps to modify your grip, except for the shield. The Shield just feels good right out of the box 😎

Standard m&p

20231219_194003.jpg

Front to back

M&P with a small grip insert is about the same as a 1911

20231219_194557.jpg

CZ P01

20231219_194640.jpg

Prodigy

20231219_194716.jpg

I think I run the middle insert on my M&P, but yeah, the grips have a similar feel. I think it’s the grip angle.

I really like that CZ. But it doesnt fit me as good as the 1911's or m&p do.

Prodigy has a bit more square feel to it, but its not bad though.

Prodigy has a bit more square feel to it, but its not bad though.
That’s what I remember about my friends Sig, it felt kind of ”box like”. I felt like I needed both hands to shoot it.

I have to put into consideration too that my friend was a 6’10” former Army Ranger. The guy was huge :laughing:

That’s what I remember about my friends Sig, it felt kind of ”box like”. I felt like I needed both hands to shoot it.

I have to put into consideration too that my friend was a 6’10” former Army Ranger. The guy was huge :laughing:
I think a lot of these grips are designed to shoot well with a strong 2 handed grip. More surface area to lock your palms onto.

Not a bad price, I don't have any experience with RIA's guns though.

Plenty of folks out there that like the RIA stuff. That isnt the model I would buy though, regardless of the brand. Spend a few more dollars...

Didn’t read all the replies but a Rock Island GI bare bones 1911 was the first gun I ever purchased. Its heavy and has abysmal ammo capacity, but I love it and will never get rid of it :smokin:

2 world wars!!! :flipoff2:

Edit: never had a single issue with it and it’s accurate enough for a pistol. I don’t shoot comps though

Imagine how accurate it would be if it had sights that you could see:flipoff2:
A G.I. Issue 1911a1 was the first handgun I actually learned how to shoot. We used to run a qualification range, then go to the shoot house to practice clearing buildings.

I shoot with both eyes open, I never had an issue with the sights on the .Gov pistols :homer:

Imagine how accurate it would be if it had sights that you could see:flipoff2:
Haha funny you say that, I have a couple tabs open looking into options for a RMR on GI 1911s…as much as an abomination as it would be, the utility is undeniable

Haha funny you say that, I have a couple tabs open looking into options for a RMR on GI 1911s…as much as an abomination as it would be, the utility is undeniable

I have a couple with dots on them. I have made shots, I wouldnt have been able to make with irons.

Still, i'm kinda coming back around to just wanting a fiber optic front sight.

A G.I. Issue 1911a1 was the first handgun I actually learned how to shoot. We used to run a qualification range, then go to the shoot house to practice clearing buildings.

I shoot with both eyes open, I never had an issue with the sights on the .Gov pistols :homer:
Point Shooters usually don't have an issue with gvt. Sights:usa:

Today I have grown fond of tritium at night tho...

Point Shooters usually don't have an issue with gvt. Sights:usa:

Today I have grown fond of tritium at night tho...
I have a nice bright light on the 590, but I may look into tritium sights for the M&P 9 for when something goes bump in the night too :smokin:

Reactions: Clb
I have a couple with dots on them. I have made shots, I wouldnt have been able to make with irons.

Still, i'm kinda coming back around to just wanting a fiber optic front sight.

I thought that fiber optic sights were the "answer" to my Ruger MkII sighting issues. Outside, they worked great, in an indoor range, just as bad as the stock sights. I used to frequent the local indoor range quite often. I have since put a RMR on it (knocked out the rear sight and pushed the mount for it in the dovetail). Now, it's the tits. I imagine the same outfit makes a mount for a 1911 (depending on dovetail cut).

Moral: if there isn't a ton of ambient light, fiber optic sights are limited...

I thought that fiber optic sights were the "answer" to my Ruger MkII sighting issues. Outside, they worked great, in an indoor range, just as bad as the stock sights. I used to frequent the local indoor range quite often. I have since put a RMR on it (knocked out the rear sight and pushed the mount for it in the dovetail). Now, it's the tits. I imagine the same outfit makes a mount for a 1911 (depending on dovetail cut).

Moral: if there isn't a ton of ambient light, fiber optic sights are limited...

I put a dawson FO front sight on my CZ. Its a tiny lil thing and doesnt grab much light. The one that came on that prodigy is a bit bigger. That sumbitch grabs the light! Was shooting it at near dark without issue.

I'll still probly bolt a red dot on it at some point just because its already cut for one:laughing: Dunno how long it will stay though

IMG_5264.jpeg

Has anyone said you should get a really nice full size 9MM yet? It’s a sweet marriage of Allied power and Axis power from WWII, and pisses everyone off. Right up until they shoot it.

I will never understand why folks get bent out of shape when somebody buys one in a 9mm:laughing:
CUASE TOO WORLD WORS BRUDDER FOWDEE FIHVE AY CEE PEE STANS FOUR ACSHULLY KILLS POEPLE UNLIEK THAT WUSSY NEIN EM EM WHATEVER TAHT MEENS YOR GRANDADDY KILLED NAZIS WIHT TEH FOWDEE FIEV IFN IT AINT BORKE DONE FIX IT

IMG_5264.jpeg

Has anyone said you should get a really nice full size 9MM yet? It’s a sweet marriage of Allied power and Axis power from WWII, and pisses everyone off. Right up until they shoot it.
I was close but already have a 9, and a .45 is next, followed by an AR. Looking to have one of each by the time I’m ded.

Last edited:
Here ya go. And only $500 over budget, which really isnt that bad :laughing:

I will say this about that: My friend got a lower tier 9mm 1911. It functioned flawlessly until the front sight fell off. The front sight wasn't a dovetail, IIRC, it was staked in by two pins from the underside of the slide. Can't find a replacement and doesn't want to JB weld it. So be aware...

This is an outstanding plan. When I’m dual-wielding taking out Nazi Zombies, it helps to have my non-dominant hand be a 9mm instead of the world-beating 45.

In all seriousness, OP really should go buy both of those and be happy as hell.

This is an outstanding plan. When I’m dual-wielding taking out Nazi Zombies, it helps to have my non-dominant hand be a 9mm instead of the world-beating 45.

In all seriousness, OP really should go buy both of those and be happy as hell.

We both know that 9mm one is going to get the piss shot out of it, while that 45 will remain handy, to show off to the other purists :laughing:

And what you save by shooting 9mm instead of 45, will pay for that second pistol pretty quick..................

Was told the Garrison isn’t a CA gun. Been looking at that one.

Top Back Refresh