What's new

Sam I am

Would Wilson be interested in a track kit for a samurai? They have 3 different 4 lug patterns also and fit basically everything but Polaris.
I may, let me know what you’re looking to get? Do you know if you have the rhino pattern?

I'm going to ask $5k for the tracks, anti rotation brackets, 4x137 wheel adapters, front drive flanges and box of trail spares. Rear brackets are just u bolt plates. The fronts would need a 4 bolt plate welded to axle between the leaf and knuckle ball.

Atv tracks. Net wants $7500 for their samurai kit, that is super cheasy :laughing:

I'm pretty certain it has all common 4 lug patterns but the big Polaris 4x156 or whatever. Worst case I think you can get pretty thin wheel adapters when it's just 4 lug to 4lug.

I'm going to ask $5k for the tracks, anti rotation brackets, 4x137 wheel adapters, front drive flanges and box of trail spares. Rear brackets are just u bolt plates. The fronts would need a 4 bolt plate welded to axle between the leaf and knuckle ball.

Atv tracks. Net wants $7500 for their samurai kit, that is super cheasy :laughing:

I'm pretty certain it has all common 4 lug patterns but the big Polaris 4x156 or whatever. Worst case I think you can get pretty thin wheel adapters when it's just 4 lug to 4lug.
Not in my budget right now. I haven’t even started my samurai for a couple months.

I’ve been at a crossroads with it and probably similarly as you , I have such a ridiculously small amount of money into it that I could never replace it.

I don't plan to get rid of the samurai. Just the tracks. They were fun, but some ~42s for the 81 will get much more use and be more fun all around imo.

Was the sxs quicker or more capable on tracks for what we do, or is it just that you’re still mixed up with wheeled rigs? I would like to get something on tracks to leave at the cabin over the winter because everything around there is non-tired.

50hp vs 100hp at about the same wieght. The samurai is just so slow. I could put the 2.0 in and solve that, but I still don't really have anyone to go with around here.

For going up hill yes. Suspension is still rough obviously.

Doesn't change the fact that no wheeled rig can follow with less than 49s. Then if you find sxs's to go with, they're going to leave you in the dust. :laughing:

This rig has been neglected this year, hasn't really moved since the last posts I made in January. Went to replace the alternator and found broken alt mount bolts :confused: Have not had a chance to fix that since I was getting kernel ready for the trip we just did.

Finally posted the tracks, figured it's a good time of year to post them.

I'm debating trying the ss360 in a 35x13x15. They're a 2ply tire thats 36.2 lbs (typical 35x12.50 is in the 65lb range) mounted on 15x10 or 12 lightwieght circle track beadlocks from speedway.

Then maybe use a bit of the money to finally put in the 4.88s I have. Just need to buy a hybrid rear axle housing and assemble everything.

YotaAtieToo what winch is installed on this? I've reading the UTV winch thread, I have a sh1tty old HF 5k on mine and have been debating going to a home-narrowed chinese 8-9k winch or getting the Rough Country 6500lb winch.

YotaAtieToo what winch is installed on this? I've reading the UTV winch thread, I have a sh1tty old HF 5k on mine and have been debating going to a home-narrowed chinese 8-9k winch or getting the Rough Country 6500lb winch.
What’s wrong with your harbor fail? I’ve got the old 5500 on my tracker, whatever it was is discontinued. Been on there for 10 years and still pulls hard and noisily.

i like that the 6500lb rough country has about twice the HP of my 10 year old HF winch and the HF winch has something like a 5% duty cycle according to the manual.

I plan on hitting some snow this year and i think a little extra oomph would be good.

It's a 6k lb viper.

Can't say I'd recommend, it's fine, but not great. I'm a bit of a winch snob though. After having an 8274 with a 9.5xp motor and a 9500tis (or something like that) it's hard to go back to slow ass china junk. Especially in snow when it can be a long pull.

Although the newest 5k or whatever harbor freight winch does interest me for the price?

Well I cam across some tires I couldn't pass up..... Then found wheels I wanted......

20240101_140756.jpg

20240101_140914.jpg
20240101_145417.jpg

Not sure what I thought would happen :laughing: they're only bald 36s but look huge. Should be fine as long as I don't turn, or hit bumps.....

Guess I'll order the bds YJs for the rear.

Plan is to groove the crap out of them with a thin ass blade and use them for snow only. Hopefully it will float OK with as light as it is and be able to hurt feeling of guys on bigger tires.

I also said fuck it and just sent the diff parts off to trail tough to have a hybrid rear made. For around $400 with new 188 Dom tubes, it's a decent deal I think. Then I can put my 4.88s in.

Also, it doesn't currently start as I found the wire to the starter broken and I need to fix the alternator bracket issue. Good thing I got new tires :homer:

I'm about done with this 1.3, it seems to be the most unreliable 1.3 ever made. Not a rod through the block or blown head gasket. But just wierd little nit pick shit. Last time out I stopped charging, went to replace the alt and found broken bolts on the lower mount :confused: messed with that today and also fixed the broken starter cable. Still just clicking. Probably needs a starter. Also killed the old school die hard platinum.

I should have just dropped that 2.0 in right when I bought it, would have probably been cheaper :homer:

I'm about done with this 1.3, it seems to be the most unreliable 1.3 ever made. Not a rod through the block or blown head gasket. But just wierd little nit pick shit. Last time out I stopped charging, went to replace the alt and found broken bolts on the lower mount :confused: messed with that today and also fixed the broken starter cable. Still just clicking. Probably needs a starter. Also killed the old school die hard platinum.

I should have just dropped that 2.0 in right when I bought it, would have probably been cheaper :homer:

These 4 bangers move and vibrate more than a heavier engine. Take that into account and check your mounts.

Might be time to take a week and check out your wiring, do a compression/leak down test, and see what’s up.

To be fair, you’re only kind of giving this rig attention. :flipoff2:

These 4 bangers move and vibrate more than a heavier engine. Take that into account and check your mounts.

Might be time to take a week and check out your wiring, do a compression/leak down test, and see what’s up.

To be fair, you’re only kind of giving this rig attention. :flipoff2:

Problem is, if I do a xompression/leak down test, I will do absolutely nothing about the results :laughing:

I'd like to play with it a little this winter. The 2.0 swap is definitely creeping higher on the list. Just need to finish other projects before I take on another big one.

The only debate with the 2.0 is to use the 3spd auto it's already bolted to, or buy the adapter and HD clutch to keep the 5spd. I'm leaning towards the 5 speed for a few reasons.

I don't have to chop up the floor.

It's in there and works

It had OD and once I do these 4.88s, no OD might be a little ridiculous on the road.

I do like driving manuals, especially when you're trying to squeeze out every hp from a weak 4cyl.

I kinda want to build an ultra light buggy with all zuk stuff. So I could keep the 1.3 or find a metro 3cyl, mate to 3spd auto, use my 4.16 case and samurai axles. Run 35 sxs stickies. Rear engine to get front dig from the Sami case, ect. Maybe even try to adapt sxs portals to the axles :laughing:

Problem is, if I do a xompression/leak down test, I will do absolutely nothing about the results :laughing:

I'd like to play with it a little this winter. The 2.0 swap is definitely creeping higher on the list. Just need to finish other projects before I take on another big one.

The only debate with the 2.0 is to use the 3spd auto it's already bolted to, or buy the adapter and HD clutch to keep the 5spd. I'm leaning towards the 5 speed for a few reasons.

I don't have to chop up the floor.

It's in there and works

It had OD and once I do these 4.88s, no OD might be a little ridiculous on the road.

I do like driving manuals, especially when you're trying to squeeze out every hp from a weak 4cyl.

I kinda want to build an ultra light buggy with all zuk stuff. So I could keep the 1.3 or find a metro 3cyl, mate to 3spd auto, use my 4.16 case and samurai axles. Run 35 sxs stickies. Rear engine to get front dig from the Sami case, ect. Maybe even try to adapt sxs portals to the axles :laughing:

Well the test will tell you if you’re chasing issues that might be internal and nothing you can do.

Well the test will tell you if you’re chasing issues that might be internal and nothing you can do.

The issues I'm having are dumb shit like the fuel tank pickup not working right, dist randomly going out, alt mount bolts breaking, starter going out, ect. Seems to be a result of sitting for a lot of years. I can't imagine how you could con ect that to low compression? :confused:

The issues I'm having are dumb shit like the fuel tank pickup not working right, dist randomly going out, alt mount bolts breaking, starter going out, ect. Seems to be a result of sitting for a lot of years. I can't imagine how you could con ect that to low compression? :confused:

You should buy a huge collection of samurais so you will always have the parts to build or fix anything

It’s hard to keep track, but I thought you were also having issues with it running well, and checked the fuel and carb.

Sounds like you might have some corroded or broken wires.

You should buy a huge collection of samurais so you will always have the parts to build or fix anything

Does it come with any kids rides by chance?

Hey do you know if a 1.6 starter will work on a 1.3? I want to say yes, but it's been a long time.

Last edited:
Does it come with any kids rides by chance?

Hey do you know if a 1.6 starter will work on a 1.3? I want to say yes, but it's been a long time.

Part numbers don’t line up on Rock Auto. I know from looking at mine, the 1.3l starter looks much bigger.

Part numbers don’t line up on Rock Auto. I know from looking at mine, the 1.3l starter looks much bigger.

It is, but it does work, just swapped them.

Funny I mentioned no electrical gremlins, just got it fired up and wipers were stuck on :lmao: got them turned off though.

SxS tires, sxs winch, why not sxs battery?

20240102_115043.jpg

Don't mind the messy wiring :homer:

Had this from my sxs, supposed to be a pretty badass battery for the size. It's specs out match a stock Sami battery, so it should be fine. Only downside would be winching for long stretches.

The big battery that was in there was 48 lbs and this one is 24.8, so like 1% weight loss :laughing:

Anyway, fires and runs again. Need to mount 2 more tires and take it for a spin.

Top Back Refresh