What's new

Sam I am

That sucks. I went from a rusty tank to the petroworks so if there was any residue from the pworks tank, I probably blamed it on leftover crud in the system.

Hopefully you get the carb sorted and can let it eat.

Summer mode! :usa:

IMG_20220703_111502.jpg

Been daily driving it for about 2 weeks :laughing: shop is a hair under 3 miles away, so why not. Something is going on with the left front tire as it really starts hopping up and down at ~55 :lmao: I'm guessing it's just water, but who knows. I may try to track down either some cheap tires for a spare set of stock wheels I have or some 5x5.5 17s for some 285 Patagonias I have.

Took it to the river on Friday after work. Kids love riding in it. :grinpimp:

Gotta love a farm town.
20220701_164033.jpg

After seeing this thing doing so well without being on like 35-37's am I the crazy one for wanting a stock height samurai again? Like slightly bigger tires and rear locker type of build but go ahead and do things like power steering and ac so I can daily drive it.

After seeing this thing doing so well without being on like 35-37's am I the crazy one for wanting a stock height samurai again? Like slightly bigger tires and rear locker type of build but go ahead and do things like power steering and ac so I can daily drive it.
A samurai on 31 ish tires with lockers is perfect to hurt some feelings with. Run all the trails that the jks on 40s do by driving around the rocks they drive over.

I want 35’s-37’s on my Geo now. The spool makes DD’ing suck ass.

A Sammy on 32’s or 33’s would be so much fun.

Mine are 32x10x15

I think it's the perfect samurai size. Smaller is better for road driving obviously, but I sometimes wish for bigger when crawling really dumb stuff. They're also very common, so a wide variety of tires.

Mine are 32x10x15

I think it's the perfect samurai size. Smaller is better for road driving obviously, but I sometimes wish for bigger when crawling really dumb stuff. They're also very common, so a wide variety of tires.
Thank you, I’m fixing to lower mine and drop tire size. It drove fine on 33’s but it’s a dog on 35’s. Going to move to rzr tires/ wheels in the 32-33” range. I’m debating on adding the axle gears that you gave me as well. 45 mph top speed would be fine for what this thing does

Finally grabbed a bench seat from a late 90s or early 00s S10. Hopefully I can get it to sit down low enough.

Edit: Well I'm an idiot. I didn't even bring a tape and was only using the post I made a while back, s10's were narrower in the 80s and 90s. But for some reason the seat I grabbed is much wider. Like 51" and the Sami is 46.5" :homer:

I don't have anything to loose at this point, because I'm not driving back down 90 Mins to exchange or get my $28 back. So I'm thinking about chopping the seat down :laughing:

The frame is steel, the foam should be fine with a seam, and I can just staple or sew the fabric

This will probably end up in a burn pile, but maybe it's worth a shot

Last edited:
Finally grabbed a bench seat from a late 90s or early 00s S10. Hopefully I can get it to sit down low enough.

Edit: Well I'm an idiot. I didn't even bring a tape and was only using the post I made a while back, s10's were narrower in the 80s and 90s. But for some reason the seat I grabbed is much wider. Like 51" and the Sami is 46.5" :homer:

I don't have anything to loose at this point, because I'm not driving back down 90 Mins to exchange or get my $28 back. So I'm thinking about chopping the seat down :laughing:

The frame is steel, the foam should be fine with a seam, and I can just staple or sew the fabric

This will probably end up in a burn pile, but maybe it's worth a shot

I have a bench seat in my 96’ Sidekick. Shipping might be $$$$.

Well after messing with the S10 seat a bit, I gave up. I called the local yokel junk yard and he was around today.

Ended up with the late 80 dodge caravan rear most seat. It was a perfect fit. Being the rear most seat, it was in great shape also.

I cut all the stuff off the seat and used the Sami sliders. Of course the side with the release handle was the 2 inside tracks. I flipped the driver side handle 180* and the passenger side, I was able to just weld the handle from the inside rail to the outside rail. The only bummer is it's a bit of a 2 person deal to slide the whole seat, but I never move it myself. The main frame of the caravan seat ended up sitting right on the samurai rails, so basically no actual fabrication besides cutting old stuff and welding.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the low back seat, but I really like it since I can easily see or reach the kids in the back. I was a bit worried the S10 seat would be like a wall between the front and back. I may add some small head pads for the 2 adult seats down the road....

Anyway, pics.

20220724_214241.jpg
20220724_214251.jpg

Feels silly to have a bench in a Sami, but it works for us. Has a nice old school feel. Of course it doesn't have a shifter notch. The tcase shifter barely clears with it back all the way. But that's where I'll leave it. If the someone else drives, it will most likely be in low range and can be scooted forward. I may also either bend the lower seat bar or the shifter for a little extra clearance.

Last edited:
So it died on us today. We went to go pick up my oldest from his friend's house about 15 Mins away. It died right at thier driveway. I thought maybe the Guage was reading wrong at 1/4 tank, so I threw in my 2.5 gal can. It started immediately, which doesn't make sense if the carb was dry.

Ran fine going the long way home, about 25 Mins. Then right in the turn lane off the highway, it died. Wasn't a great spot to be in with all the kids in there. Luckily traffic was about dead and some nice people stopped, helped push me off the highway and towed it home the last 1/4 mile.

I have no idea what it could be, but doesn't seem fuel related. It did it one other time recently, but fired back up pretty quickly.

So it died on us today. We went to go pick up my oldest from his friend's house about 15 Mins away. It died right at thier driveway. I thought maybe the Guage was reading wrong at 1/4 tank, so I threw in my 2.5 gal can. It started immediately, which doesn't make sense if the carb was dry.

Ran fine going the long way home, about 25 Mins. Then right in the turn lane off the highway, it died. Wasn't a great spot to be in with all the kids in there. Luckily traffic was about dead and some nice people stopped, helped push me off the highway and towed it home the last 1/4 mile.

I have no idea what it could be, but doesn't seem fuel related. It did it one other time recently, but fired back up pretty quickly.

Just do a 1.6l swap and get EFI. :laughing:

Have you checked fuel pressure at the carb?

Went out just now and it fired right up.

It's definitely not a fuel starvation issue this time. Totally different symptoms. Maybe the ignitor like 91 said?

That 2.0 is starting to look better and better :laughing:

Since you’re already elbows deep in a Cummins conversion. I need that 2L and 3 speed for my white rig with a bad engine.

Since you’re already elbows deep in a Cummins conversion. I need that 2L and 3 speed for my white rig with a bad engine.

I don't think I'll get rid of it, although with the recent addition of another project, I need to start selling stuff. :laughing:

Donor 2.0 rigs don't seem too hard to come by?

Speaking of my new project. It came with this in the parts box. Was curious if it would work on the Sami?

20220822_170444.jpg

Can you tell I'm not an engine guy? :homer:

I don't think I'll get rid of it, although with the recent addition of another project, I need to start selling stuff. :laughing:

Donor 2.0 rigs don't seem too hard to come by?

Speaking of my new project. It came with this in the parts box. Was curious if it would work on the Sami?

Can you tell I'm not an engine guy? :homer:
That’ll work on the samurai. Samurai won’t make use of all that extra zap because low compression etc but for free you might as well try it. You’ll have to nip the factory connections off the wire harness and crimp new ends on that will work with that coil.

No 2.0’s zuks of any kind for sale around here now. I live where there was never a Suzuki dealership within hundreds of miles so they just didn’t get into circulation here.

That’ll work on the samurai. Samurai won’t make use of all that extra zap because low compression etc but for free you might as well try it. You’ll have to nip the factory connections off the wire harness and crimp new ends on that will work with that coil.

No 2.0’s zuks of any kind for sale around here now. I live where there was never a Suzuki dealership within hundreds of miles so they just didn’t get into circulation here.

Maybe it's better to just get a parts store one. Then I have the stock one as a trail spare.

Well there is 3 in the local podunk junk yard here if you want to venture up.

Last edited:
So kernal MusTURD took all my beater attention away from this thing.

Then today my one "non pos project" 96 4runner started missing really bad. So the Sami just became my dd. Unfortunately for me it's already pretty damn chilly in the mornings here. :laughing:

Threw the doors and bikini top on. Should be enough for the 2 1/2 miles to work.

Hopefully this will sort out the random dieing issue?

So today it skipped 3 times, once in the way to work and twice on the way home. Like someone shit the ignition off and back on real quick.

As someone mentioned, it might be the coil or module. An ngk coil is $35 on Amazon, so I ordered one. Module is way more expensive from what I've found so far, so hopefully it's just the coil.

So today it skipped 3 times, once in the way to work and twice on the way home. Like someone shit the ignition off and back on real quick.

As someone mentioned, it might be the coil or module. An ngk coil is $35 on Amazon, so I ordered one. Module is way more expensive from what I've found so far, so hopefully it's just the coil.
I just bought a whole used distributor instead of the igniter. $50 vs $250+

Top Back Refresh