What's new

Sam I am

Ya, I'm not sure what to do. If that tank was on there when I went to hoodoo, it would have probably gotten destroyed.

It's my fault for not researching them more, I guess I figured they wouldn't lie about it. :homer: I guess I'll call them on Monday and see what they want to do.

I can't say for sure but it doesn't seem to be a ton lower at the lowest point, but definitely lower at the back where it used to taper up. But those 5 extra gallons gotta go somewhere.

I can't say for sure but it doesn't seem to be a ton lower at the lowest point, but definitely lower at the back where it used to taper up. But those 5 extra gallons gotta go somewhere.
It's about 3" lower than the lowest point and the back is more like 5"

I was worried about that, which is why I called and asked. He said 3/8". I said, wow, that's crazy, I would have expected way more. He said that "they just utilize the space better" :homer:

Whoever you spoke to probably never saw the tank installed.
B19BA74F-81DF-413A-8612-46E8DC36F37E.png

Can I point out that your tank looks like a different design then the white ones shown? Unless it is just camera angles and such the brackets coming off the skid plate look longer which would make it hang lower. Is there any chance it was a simple flub and wrong one got shipped because while the white one looks to hang down a bit more than stock it is nowhere near yours

Can I point out that your tank looks like a different design then the white ones shown? Unless it is just camera angles and such the brackets coming off the skid plate look longer which would make it hang lower. Is there any chance it was a simple flub and wrong one got shipped because while the white one looks to hang down a bit more than stock it is nowhere near yours

Mine in version 3.0 I believe, they've been around for a while. The Pic of the top of the tank is different than mine, so I'm assuming that was version 1 or 2. If you look at the rear pass bracket though, it looks very similar length.

Guess I didn't update this. I drove around a handful of time on Sunday and it seems totally fine, I think I fixed it.

I did notice one plug wire fucked up. Local autoparts didn't have wires. Any suggestions on a place to just get a little tune up kit? Plugs, wires, rotor and cap?

Guess I didn't update this. I drove around a handful of time on Sunday and it seems totally fine, I think I fixed it.

I did notice one plug wire fucked up. Local autoparts didn't have wires. Any suggestions on a place to just get a little tune up kit? Plugs, wires, rotor and cap?
I get everything from Rock Auto.

Are you going to just live with that gas tank hanging down?

I get everything from Rock Auto.

Are you going to just live with that gas tank hanging down?

I guess.....

In reality a real rock crawling trip is like once a year. I could literally swap it back to stock if I wanted for 1 trip.

It will be good to have 15 gallons with the tracks as they eat fuel.

I guess.....

In reality a real rock crawling trip is like once a year. I could literally swap it back to stock if I wanted for 1 trip.

It will be good to have 15 gallons with the tracks as they eat fuel.

You could probably even figure out a way to protect it and just let it slide over everything.

You could probably even figure out a way to protect it and just let it slide over everything.

The bottom is very well protected 3/16 skid. I'm more worried about backing into shit. Especially when backing off a climb and the bumper is in the dirt.

I'm not worried about it for now. Will be good for snow trips and for 99% of the exploring and stuff I do up here.

Those treads are rad.

RE: the tank, I'm like you, I have faith in the tank skid, but I worry more about bending/ripping the tank mounts off if I nail something hard enough.

So I think I have a plan.

As I mentioned, I do these "hardcore" rock trips once or twice a year. Before next trip I'll pick up a 10g plastic cell. They can literally be had for under $100 :laughing: and mount it in the bed. It would take under 2 hours to switch everything over.

It would make it so I couldn't run a back seat but honestly doing those types of trips are so rough, I don't think the kids would have much fun anyway.

So I think I have a plan.

As I mentioned, I do these "hardcore" rock trips once or twice a year. Before next trip I'll pick up a 10g plastic cell. They can literally be had for under $100 :laughing: and mount it in the bed. It would take under 2 hours to switch everything over.

It would make it so I couldn't run a back seat but honestly doing those types of trips are so rough, I don't think the kids would have much fun anyway.
Sounds like a PITA. Why not just add a plate to protect the back of the new tank? Bolt or weld it on and you’re done. Then you don’t have to fuck around with a fuel cell and switching shit around.
Just my .02.

Because it could still bend the brackets and would still be a huge hindrance and hang up point.

This thing is kinda a Swiss army knife anyway, so I have to do transformations as is :laughing:

Sounds like a PITA. Why not just add a plate to protect the back of the new tank? Bolt or weld it on and you’re done. Then you don’t have to fuck around with a fuel cell and switching shit around.
Just my .02.

Quit fucking around and put a heepspeed cell in! :flipoff2:

Actually a mini jeepspeed cell would be pretty badass

Walking junkyard looking for Sami friendly bench seat, using here for notes.

88 Ranger bench 51" 60/40 ~50" ( can't open the fucking door more than 24 in because there's 3 ft frozen snow everywhere:laughing:)

96 s10 60/40 ~48"

84 s10 bench ~49"

87 Toyota 50"

90? Dodge caravan 3rd seat 47"

90? Dakota bench 50"

95 Dakota buckets+jump seat 48"

I don't think I mentioned this, but the seats are trash in this thing. I have 3 kids, so I'm 1 seat short, I would like to try a bench or 60/40 seat in this for the occasional family trip.

I think the S10 60/40 is looking best.

Last edited:
Walking junkyard looking for Sami friendly bench seat, using here for notes.

88 Ranger bench 51" 60/40 ~50" ( can't open the fucking door more than 24 in because there's 3 ft frozen snow everywhere:laughing:)

96 s10 60/40 ~48"

84 s10 bench ~49"

87 Toyota 50"

90? Dodge caravan 3rd seat 47"

90? Dakota bench 50"

95 Dakota buckets+jump seat 48"

I don't think I mentioned this, but the seats are trash in this thing. I have 3 kids, so I'm 1 seat short, I would like to try a bench or 60/40 seat in this for the occasional family trip.

I think the S10 60/40 is looking best.
My concern would be the height. My buckets sit lower than the trans tunnel, I would think a bench sitting on top of the trans tunnel would be super tall.

If not you could body lift it and modify the tunnel to accept a bench seat. Not ideal, but 1” wouldn’t be terrible.

Finally took it out. Met up with some new people including one of the grind hard plumbing youtube guys.

Waiting for more pics to come in.

20220227_074533.jpg
20220227_122254.jpg

JK on 42s and blazer on 42s had a hard time in this spot. On the road. I was busy driving all over the mountain side :laughing:

JK ended up creeping through and the blazer over heated while trying.

Hopefully more pics and video to follow.

Only problem with samurai was it wouldn't really Rev over about 4500 under load, which is wierd. Carb not giving enough fuel?

Tank was nice, drove a bunch. Ost of the day and barely hit 3/4 of a tank.

Finally took it out. Met up with some new people including one of the grind hard plumbing youtube guys.

Waiting for more pics to come in.

20220227_074533.jpg
20220227_122254.jpg

JK on 42s and blazer on 42s had a hard time in this spot. On the road. I was busy driving all over the mountain side :laughing:

JK ended up creeping through and the blazer over heated while trying.

Hopefully more pics and video to follow.

Only problem with samurai was it wouldn't really Rev over about 4500 under load, which is wierd. Carb not giving enough fuel?

Tank was nice, drove a bunch. Ost of the day and barely hit 3/4 of a tank.

Are you sure you have good compression in all 4 cylinders? :homer:

No, but it would Rev out not to long ago. It actually has decent power in the 2-4k range, but just wierd that it stops, almost like a govenor.

No, but it would Rev out not to long ago. It actually has decent power in the 2-4k range, but just wierd that it stops, almost like a govenor.

Are you having issues when you dump the throttle to the floor at zero?

That could point to a fuel issue. But carbs don’t take more than 6-8 psi so I doubt it’s a fuel issue.

Just called certified machine who sells the 3k carb kit to see what he thought.

Said I have junk in the carb. I happen to mention the petroworks tank, he said, well you definitely have junk in the carb because they don't clean the tanks before shipping :homer:

He was super helpful with info on how to resolve it. He thinks it's the power valve, a piston that slides up or down under load for more fuel.

Just called certified machine who sells the 3k carb kit to see what he thought.

Said I have junk in the carb. I happen to mention the petroworks tank, he said, well you definitely have junk in the carb because they don't clean the tanks before shipping :homer:

He was super helpful with info on how to resolve it. He thinks it's the power valve, a piston that slides up or down under load for more fuel.
Makes sense, he provides a good filter with the carb, is yours missing?

Top Back Refresh