What's new

Sam I am

I don't think it's going to as I'm pretty sure the problem is with the tank. I drive it for 20 Mins or so around the block with no issues. I can't really do too much as I typically have the 3 and 4 year old with me. :laughing: 1st and 2nd gear putting around the neighborhood is about it.

Drove a little more and it started to sputter and died.......

Checked the gas can and it was empty :confused:

How it used 2.5 gallons in like 30 Mins is beyond me. It has been a cold blood bitch. Like won't idle until I hold it at 2-3k for 5 Mins and then Rev it up to clean it out. That's with the manual choke full on. It's also leaving a big black circle on the ground by the exhaust. I'm going to pull the plugs when I get a chance. They may have been partially fouled or something from the stock carb.

Last I checked, it won't run without spark. :flipoff2:

Sometimes it’s better to test and rule things out rather than focus on one thing and chase it.

Intermittent issues are one.

Check vacuum and fuel pressure before adjusting the carb for the running issue.

They told you to check spark to rule it out.

I’ve chased my tail on d vehicles which could’ve been simplified by testing. :flipoff2:

Sometimes it’s better to test and rule things out rather than focus on one thing and chase it.

Intermittent issues are one.

Check vacuum and fuel pressure before adjusting the carb for the running issue.

They told you to check spark to rule it out.

I’ve chased my tail on d vehicles which could’ve been simplified by testing. :flipoff2:

I checked it when it first acted up, I haven't in a while. I guess I don't see how lack of spark would cause the fuel filters to be empty.

It hasn't done it with the test tank yet.

I'll check a lot of things before I touch the carb. I'm not great with carbs at all :laughing:

I want to get the fuel starvation issue fixed first. Probably going to order the tank today as I want it either way.

So I may have figured out the rich problem.....

Air filter was super clogged with oil and dust :homer:

Seemed to run better without it. I'll grab one soon.

I also did the lazy heater core clean. Sami's are notorious for leaves going right down onto the heater core. You can pull everything out and clean it correctly or......

20220113_164721.jpg

You fucking cut a hole and blow/vacuum it out. :laughing:

There was probably about 2" of shit in there. I stuck our baby shop vac in and blew around with the air hose where ever I could. Seemed to make a pretty decent difference in airflow for 5 Mins of work.

So I hooked up the stock fuel tank. Started and drove fine for about 250 yards. Died and wouldn't start. Switched to the test can and drive it for about an hour with no issues. Petroworks is supposed to ship my tank out on Monday. Hopefully this is it for a while.

So I hooked up the stock fuel tank. Started and drove fine for about 250 yards. Died and wouldn't start. Switched to the test can and drive it for about an hour with no issues. Petroworks is supposed to ship my tank out on Monday. Hopefully this is it for a while.

Is there a bunch of crap in your tank?

Does the petroworks tank come complete with its own “sending unit”? I’m late to being helpful but I’m suspicious of your sending unit being the problem. I think you are sucking inside the tank above the fuel level.

So I’m afraid if you have to re-use your sending unit in a new tank that you are going to suffer the same issue.

Does the petroworks tank come complete with its own “sending unit”? I’m late to being helpful but I’m suspicious of your sending unit being the problem. I think you are sucking inside the tank above the fuel level.

So I’m afraid if you have to re-use your sending unit in a new tank that you are going to suffer the same issue.

Did they make two different sized tanks for those Samurais?

When I dropped the Bronco tank I found they offered two sizes and two different length sending units. You may be right. Or when he had the tank out last, maybe it didn’t seat properly or is now malfunctioning.

Did they make two different sized tanks for those Samurais?

When I dropped the Bronco tank I found they offered two sizes and two different length sending units. You may be right. Or when he had the tank out last, maybe it didn’t seat properly or is now malfunctioning.
I think all samurais have the same tank

Christ..... I guess I'll say it again :flipoff2:

"sending unit" on a Sami is really just the Guage float. The pickup tube is attached to tank. I pulled the tank to inspect the pickup tube and it looked fine.

I know it's not a hole in the tube because one of the last times it acted up, I sputtered into a gas station, topped it off and it made it about 1/4 mile.

It may be stuff in the tank, I don't know. It looked pretty clean, but the clear plastic wrapper theory would be hard to see. I also don't see what else it could be that would act up so quickly some times and be fine for a day other times.

Petroworks tank comes with everything new. I was also concerned about how far it would hang down being 50% bigger. They said it's 3/8" :smokin: just utilizes the space better.

-gallon-gas-tank-clear__27511.1379348024.1280.1280.jpg

They offer an in tank fuel pump version for efi models also. What's sweet is that if I go efi it's a very simple conversion as everything else is the same.

Went on a little snow trip this morning. Had no sputtering or dieing with the ghetto gas can/tank.

It did seem to kinda cut out if I tried to Rev over about 5k, which is wierd.
20220116_122529.jpg
20220116_124323.jpg
20220116_124835.jpg

20220116_114050.jpg

That was some seriously deep snow!

Amazing views there.

It wasn't deep at all, :laughing: the one Pic was in the ditch. It was maybe 3' was really heavy stuff, but not quite hard enough to get on top except a few times. My buddies wolverine on 30s was doing really any better or worse. It was just a quick screw around trip anyway.

The views were pretty amazing for sure.

I chased my tail for a year on my EFI sami with similar fueling issues. If I ever filled it all the way up with fuel it would have crazy issues. It would start and run but die as soon as there was any load on the motor. I had a clogged charcoal canister which I thought fixed the issue, then didn't, and then realized with all the rust it already had everywhere else, it probably had rust in the tank and fuel lines. Which it did. Everytime it was more than probably 2/3 full, it would stir up a bunch of crap in the tank. Got a petroworks tank, changed the fuel filter with the first few fill ups, and have run additives with each fill up as well, and I'm still scared to fill it all the way up. But for fhe most part it does seem to be doing better with the occasionally hiccup/hesitation.

Oh and with the petroworks tank, I still have probably 1/3 a tank when it's on E, not sure if that is a universal thing.

Shout out to petroworks. They gave me both the carb pick up and the efi pick up for the price of the efi tank. Plus free fuel filters for each. Shipping wasn't cheap ($100:barf:) but it's a big box i guess. Guy was super helpful answering questions and also wouldn't charge my cars until the package was ready to ship. Can't wait to get this in :smokin:

20220120_184131.jpg

I have to agree, the guys I dealt with at Petroworks were super helpful and knowledgeable. All in all it's not much of a price jump vs buying a new stock tank, pump, sending unit, filter, and aftermarket skid plate. But now you have 5 extra gallons of range.

I have to agree, the guys I dealt with at Petroworks were super helpful and knowledgeable. All in all it's not much of a price jump vs buying a new stock tank, pump, sending unit, filter, and aftermarket skid plate. But now you have 5 extra gallons of range.

Exactly, new steel tank was $200+, then a sending unit. I mean, I guess that's still half price, but whatever. :laughing:

I'd still have to make or buy a skid plate as the stock tank is pretty hammered.

Well I got the tank in just now and I'm kinda bummed because it hangs down about 3" more, lower than my leaf spring

I specifically called to ask that and he said 3/8" :mad3: that was a big concern for me as low as this thing is. It's super vulnerable imo.

Well I got the tank in just now and I'm kinda bummed because it hangs down about 3" more, lower than my leaf spring

I specifically called to ask that and he said 3/8" :mad3: that was a big concern for me as low as this thing is. It's super vulnerable imo.
Well does it run good

Maybe he meant 3 to 8...inches. :flipoff2:

Any way to do anything to tuck it up any higher? Maybe some chunks of metal that can be cut out or grinder flush?

I don't know, didn't have time to take it out. I'm like 88% sure it will be totally fine.

There isn't much room to move it up without cutting a hole in the floor, which isn't happening.

Top Back Refresh