What's new
  • TGIF'nF!! Did you hear about our new Group Buy Program? We're kicking the program off with Baja Designs!

Russia / Ukraine thread

I think they have more leverage than Putin wants to give them.

I'd be holding out for all military assets in country plus some major damages money and never, ever look this way again, agreements
This. I think Ukraine is proving a harder nut to crack than expected. And they haven't even started major urban combat yet. Urban combat will cause huge Russian casualties and also help bring the Russian edge in technology down a few notches.

This. I think Ukraine is proving a harder nut to crack than expected. And they haven't even started major urban combat yet. Urban combat will cause huge Russian casualties and also help bring the Russian edge in technology down a few notches.
biggest question, is it due to ukrainian resistance or russian incompetence or russian hands being tied.

The biggest factor is that the Ukrainians aren't rolling over and taking it.

"Deputy Defense Minister of Ukraine Hanna Maliar said on Sunday about 4,300 Russian soldiers were killed over the last three days."

In addition, Russian forces lost about 146 tanks, 27 aircraft, and 26 helicopters.

biggest question, is it due to ukrainian resistance or russian incompetence or russian hands being tied.
Probably a combination of all of the above. I'm sure the Russian military do not want to get involved in a major urban conflict as it would eat up a lot of men and materials which lots of Russian soldiers coming home in body bags could cause regime change. The Russian leadership also doesn't want too as it would cause mass civilian casualties and infrastructure damage which they are hoping to avoid for obvious reasons. I think the Ukrainians are putting up more resistance than expected, I know I've been surprised some by it, never underestimate the courage of someone fighting for home and family on home ground. I'm also wondering at the quality level of the Russian troops, I'm sure the ones leading the Invasion are the varsity team and not bench warmers. Even the best trained and equipped troops will take casualties in urban combat and the longer it lasts the worse it is for the attackers.

The biggest factor is that the Ukrainians aren't rolling over and taking it.
Yes....that's the biggest 'problem' for sure. Putin was expecting that to happen, and is increasingly looking like a buffoon. And is subsequently acting more and more like a bully who's getting pointed at/laughed at on the giant playground of the world.

So I'm completely new to what is happening here. I barely follow any news at all.

Why is he attacking Ukraine in the first place?

"Deputy Defense Minister of Ukraine Hanna Maliar said on Sunday about 4,300 Russian soldiers were killed over the last three days."

In addition, Russian forces lost about 146 tanks, 27 aircraft, and 26 helicopters.

If that is true, that is not going to bide well for Putin at home.

I cannot understand how the RUS military has been a complete shit-show up to this point. Running out of fuel, getting lost, asking civilians for directions not fighting at night etc... I knew RUS was the king of bullshitters when it came to their military but damn. It sounds like UKR could become night hunters and eliminate the ground troops in one night if they could pin down their locations, which shouldn't be too hard as it is still cold and these incompetent RUS troops no doubt have campfires. They sure as hell can get up to date satellite imagery from Japaneses weather satellite websites among others.

So I'm completely new to what is happening here. I barely follow any news at all.

Why is he attacking Ukraine in the first place?

Here is another weird point, we are seeing videos of RUS jets flying low. Why are they so fucking low? In Afghanistan, we didn't know if Stingers were still operational or not so all jets stayed above 30K and dropped from there. Once we were sure, fighters and CAS were permitted to come down and perform duties. So tell me why his jets are attacking at tree top level? Idiots should at least be climbing after delivery and popping flares/chaff on the way out.

Something is seriously off on the RUS performance of this war.

Here is another weird point, we are seeing videos of RUS jets flying low. Why are they so fucking low? In Afghanistan, we didn't know if Stingers were still operational or not so all jets stayed above 30K and dropped from there. Once we were sure, fighters and CAS were permitted to come down and perform duties. So tell me why his jets are attacking at tree top level? Idiots should at least be climbing after delivery and popping flares/chaff on the way out.

Those were proven fakes earlier. From an air show.

yeah, its weird.

it feels weird
I truly believe the entire approach was orchestrated towards an end goal of getting Ukraine to a negotiating point. And, instead, the Ukrainians said "Fuck that.....KILL!"

Now, Putin's in a pickle (regionally/internationally/even domestically) and trying to show a tough-guy resolve and resolution to it all without completely leveling the country of Ukraine (which would invariably result in much greater condemnation and/or escalation).

Those were proven fakes earlier. From an air show.
There's been a lot of low level jet action.

I'd imagine it's because we use smart bombs and they're using random ordinance including rockets and such that aren't precise at all so the only way to get it on target is to go low.

So just to take them over then. hm. ok.

So just to take them over then. hm. ok.
The Eurasian Economic Community (EAEC) united several ex-Soviet republics and was widely seen as a first step to reincarnate the USSR.

With a population of 43 million and a powerful agricultural and industrial output, Ukraine was supposed to be the most essential part of the EAEC after Russia, but Kyiv refused to join.

and ukraine has been moving further from russia as time goes on

Turkey is shutting down the straits using the M o n t r e u x (fucking apple keeps changing it to Montreal) Convention and will only allow RUS to return to their bases. No more ships to access the Med. If I was in control, I would take their ships and make the sailors take buses home.

If that is true, that is not going to bide well for Putin at home.

I cannot understand how the RUS military has been a complete shit-show up to this point. Running out of fuel, getting lost, asking civilians for directions not fighting at night etc... I knew RUS was the king of bullshitters when it came to their military but damn. It sounds like UKR could become night hunters and eliminate the ground troops in one night if they could pin down their locations, which shouldn't be too hard as it is still cold and these incompetent RUS troops no doubt have campfires. They sure as hell can get up to date satellite imagery from Japaneses weather satellite websites among others.
Excellent points indeed.

I started my thread 10 months ago on the Russian build up.
Which means they had AT LEAST 10 months to work out the logistics on their YUGE campaign.
IMHO; it's more like they had 2+ years plan said campaign.

And this is why Operation Barbarossa is studied in war colleges to this day.
Hitler/NAZI Germany simultaneously opened up an 1,800 mile invasion front using almost 4 million soldiers/personnel and 3,500+ tanks as well as all the supporting equipment.

Excellent points indeed.

I started my thread 10 months ago on the Russian build up.
Which means they had AT LEAST 10 months to work out the logistics on their YUGE campaign.
IMHO; it's more like they had 2+ years plan said campaign.

And this is why Operation Barbarossa is studied in war colleges to this day.
Hitler/NAZI Germany simultaneously opened up an 1,800 mile invasion front using almost 4 million soldiers/personnel and 3,500+ tanks as well as all the supporting equipment.
Furthermore, how the fuck do they get lost??? Do they not have GPS in their military vehicles? I mean we have the shit in our civilian cars, motorcycles, phones and wristwatches. Get an App you stupid fucks.

These morons got their phones to film themselves driving their tanks and shit gear into Ukraine so use it to navigate to your target area before you run out of gas.It is like the boss said "just drive into Ukraine and fuck about. Shoot your gun a couple times in between bottles of vodka".
"Have fun and don't scratch the tank".

Seriously, the more I think about it, the more amateur hour it is. Did you see the tin canopies they put on top of their tanks thinking it would stop a javelin? I have seen the javelin in action in real life, once that thing is fired, somebody is getting proper fucked on the other end of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be a totaly differnt world today if the politicians an 'Ike' had greenlighted Patton.
Let's go back further.

An academic question was raised once;
What would the world be like today if we didn't support the Soviet Union, in this specific case intel, and Germany was able to conquer Moscow during Operation Citadel in 1943/WWII?
Thereby overthrowing the communist government.

Yes....that's the biggest 'problem' for sure. Putin was expecting that to happen, and is increasingly looking like a buffoon. And is subsequently acting more and more like a bully who's getting pointed at/laughed at on the giant playground of the world.
I don't think he expected it. He told the Ukrainian Army to kill their duly elected President... and I bet he thought they'd do it.

Sounds like the 225 is scrap. Sad day. That’s gonna fuck the logistics of some shit .

Yeah, I read that too... thought about it a few posts back.

Love this:

1645984830199.png

Top Back Refresh