What's new

Rock Lizard/Weekend Ultra4(?); blown LS, 40s, tons, bypasses, etc.

Everything is super tight but seems to clear! I might get longer shocks in the future to use up that shaft that's showing. That shaft isn't totally useless though since it comes into play when flexed.

upload_2023-8-8_11-44-37-png.jpg

Just get longer eyelets

x2 for longer lower eyes. you're missing out on a lot of the bump zone in that shock.

PART 1: Random dump of photos. I've just been grabbing photos when I remember but there's so much stuff that's gotten done there's a lot missing.

pxl_20230809_032459714-jpg.jpg

Rear axle brake lines I moved a bit so a bush or stuck can't grab them from the front. These will eventually be hard lines but not anytime soon.

pxl_20230813_005955397-jpg.jpg

Lots of work on the floors. The driver's side was insanely tight to the Atlas, so this awesome piece was created to buy every inch. The floors are essentially flat now, where as before they were close to the seat bottom to give clearance to everything underneath. There's lots of room (relatively) to access the mounting bolts.

pxl_20230813_010115093-jpg.jpg

The guy that will be codriving this race has been mocking up the body panels. These will be cut from 1/16 aluminum.

pxl_20230813_010124560-jpg.jpg

And then picture a spare tire hanging off the back too, and I think it'll look pretty nasty!

pxl_20230813_162050163-jpg.jpg

New air filter setup. Tucked between the engine and winch. Had one of those dust sock things on it. There's a bracket from the bump stop to the front to hold it too. Much nicer! The hood will probably go over the filter too, and maybe add some shielding around it from water.

pxl_20230813_205023775-jpg.jpg

The shoulder harnesses didn't align with anything, but the inboard could be mounted off the shock tower so I just did a little post for the outboard shoulder harness. The harnesses are FIA 6 point Sabelts and pretty sexy.

pxl_20230814_201048391-jpg.jpg

I also got some fire extinguishers and fire suppression. My plan was one fire suppression, then a 10lb floor extinguisher for the passenger and 5lb on the roof. But it turns out what I thought were 10lbs in the shop were 5lbs (on the left), and the new 10lb is actually huge and no way will work as a mobile fire extinguisher inside the cab. So I've decided I'll rig both 10lb units as fire suppression, one for the engine/fuel cell and one for the cab, then have a 5lb hanging from the roof, and then two additional 4lb conventional powder extinguishers on the outside of the cage in the back.

pxl_20230814_201409232-jpg.jpg

Here is the actual dedicated suppression 10lb. I'm thinking both 10lb tanks will go in front/below the seat, and the pull handles will be in the center console adjacent to the kill switch.

pxl_20230815_004753198-jpg.jpg

The fuel lines used to go under the seat, I moved them to outside of the cab and behind the seat. I made some little cradles to hold them in place away from the links.

pxl_20230815_145842621-jpg.jpg

Random photo.

pxl_20230817_022549385-jpg.jpg

I made a shock cross brace. I had some TMR tube connections laying around so used those. It's 1.25" x .120 tubing. On the small side but considering the relatively low loads it'll be fine, and helps keep the hood height as low as possible. The hood plan currently is a donut around the supercharger and then a panel in the front.

pxl_20230817_022602800-jpg.jpg

Got a horn mounted, it's tucked behind the winch and mounted to the bump stop. Can see the funky air filter bracket too.

pxl_20230817_022606083-jpg.jpg

I got 1.5" extended eyelets from ADS so the bypass bump zone is fully utilized now.

PART 2:

pxl_20230817_022611310-jpg.jpg

Trans dip stick properly mounted.

pxl_20230817_022622188-jpg.jpg

Radio antenna mount. There's no picture of the air pumper mount but it's a big hogged out bracket with 4x 1/4-20s holding the pump on. As you can see it's located above the battery area.

pxl_20230817_025629922-jpg.jpg

Chase bar mounts are welded to the rear roof/head panels, this keeps the bar about flush with the top of the roof so it doesn't stick up from the front.

pxl_20230817_161520691-jpg.jpg

Chase bar mounted and wired. There's a center blue light which isn't normally wired in but by moving some plugs around turns on if needed.

pxl_20230817_165336834-jpg.jpg

The wiring is a bit of a cluster. With the exception of the ECU harness, most of the "sub harnesses" were opened up to run more stuff. I have it broken into essentially three sub harnesses, front, mid, and rear.

pxl_20230818_013554885-jpg.jpg

Wiring wrapped up. All the wiring (at least in high risk areas) has fabric braiding, and then hear I decided to wrap it in coolant hose to further prevent anything rubbing since this stretch runs along the transmission and oil/ATF lines. Then I can man handle the wire bundle where I want with not much worry of what it lays against.

pxl_20230817_170811161-jpg.jpg

I got some mirror kits from TMR and went with some old Japanese inspiration and mounted them on the fender. Every vehicle with "traditionally" located mirrors and window nets make the mirrors nearly useless. This way I can easily see BOTH mirrors by looking straight ahead. We'll see if they live through rock crawling though.

pxl_20230817_170821645-jpg.jpg

Brake light switch. Just something from Ace. I couldn't find a signal off the brake booster for lights sadly, but this will do and can easily put in a nicer switch if this dies.

pxl_20230818_005935701-jpg.jpg

I'm honestly disappointed with the big dash. Nowhere as bright as I expected. Since I had a little dash I decided to mount that in front of the steering wheel. I can configure it to give me warnings and any vital info I constantly watch as opposed to the big screen which I have to look to the middle to see.

pxl_20230818_005954928-jpg.jpg

GPS module for speed for the Holley. It's magnetic plus has zip tie cut outs to keep it sliding off.

pxl_20230818_201048197-jpg.jpg

Front limit strap mounts. The front has so much going on this was the easiest spot to put them. On the axle I have left over shock mounts that I use. The straps should probably get shortened an inch.

And that wraps up all the random photos I took! And tons more has been done that wasn't photo worthy. Paneling, floors, wiring, etc. etc. But last night I finally decided it was time to take it for a rip! It was getting dark so no real photos besides getting muddy afterwards.

pxl_20230819_031557580-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230819_031707984-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230819_031718139-jpg.jpg

The thing is an absolute animal! The new shock setup is wild, I hit this road that had probably 100yds of huge uneven nasty ruts and potholes from all the rain lately, probably some of the nastiest shit I've hit in anything since none of it was smooth like whoops, and at 50+ it absolutely ate it up and didn't even touch the bump stops which I'm amazed by. I can't wait to push the new shock tune since before it would get into the bumps all the time.

But it's not all good. It's a handful to say the least. I'm hoping to get it on an alignment rack this week, because hitting bumps the rear wants to kick over again. I had mostly fixed this, but after I messed with the front end alignment doing the bump stops I think it's messed up again and the rear isn't tracking parallel with the front. It'll take some big hits but wants to get sideways which is scary, and the relatively slow steering doesn't help.

Additionally, on the way home the engine was really unhappy and seemed like it was running on 6. It was totally fine going there, but something is loose or the same misfire issues before popped up again. The engine will get a bit of inspection and tune up in the coming days, check compression, find the messed up cylinders and if comp is good then swap the coil packs and stuff. When it has power it has a surprising amount of power, now if it can just reliably make that.

Otherwise the test run went fine, pretty short outing to make sure everything is functioning that was added and see how the new shocks feel. Once the spare tire is mounted I'll probably just crank the long compression tubes a few turns and hopefully that's the only change needed. As usual, the potential feels off the charts! It's making massive strides with these improvements and I can tell there's so much left on the table. Hopefully I can get the chassis and suspension to play nice and make it easy to drive.

Saturday morning I pulled the spark plugs to check compression. First off, cylinder 3 and 4 had bent spark plugs... so that's interesting? Compression started out looking amazingly good, and then we got to cylinder 5.

upload_2023-8-21_8-23-48-png.jpg

It wasn't just low on compression, it didn't even move the gauge at all! Plugging in the leak down tester it seemed like the air was going through the heads, so my first thought was something was stuck under a valve, maybe a valve spring broke and got lodged under a valve holding it open. I pulled the valve covers but all the valves were moving fine, and a bore scope showed the piston appeared totally intact. There was no noise from anything either.

At this moment I lost some efficiency points. I went ahead and pulled the head since it seemed like that would be required either way since there was something wrong with a valve, I was now thinking a valve got bent and wasn't seating somehow since the valvetrain was moving fine.

upload_2023-8-21_8-27-5-png.jpg

With the head off, sure as shit the intake valve on cylinder 5 wasn't fully closing. Looking down the intake port there was a huge piece of PLASTIC jammed in it.

upload_2023-8-21_8-27-50-png.jpg

upload_2023-8-21_8-28-4-png.jpg

This is why I say I lost efficiency points, because I didn't have to pull the head or even touch the valvetrain, if I had just looked down the intake port I could've pulled it out when the valve extended. Oh well.

It appears to be from the stock intake, and has evidently been rattling around inside the engine for the whole time I've had the 5.3. Thinking back, I had cracked the stock intake manifold lifting it out and hadn't thought much of it since I wasn't going to use the stock intake anyways. This piece must've fallen in and been chilling in the intake port until the Friday night test run had the right circumstances to suck it under the valve. On the plus side, nothing was broken! It was the most non-catastrophic catastrophic failure, completely dead cylinder with nothing actually broken! New head gasket and valve cover seals from the parts store and slapped the head back on.

upload_2023-8-21_8-31-54-png.jpg

And quick peek down the intake valves of the even side bank. Oh look!

upload_2023-8-21_8-32-22-png.jpg

Another piece of plastic! This is on cylinder 2, the ONLY cylinder with slightly lower compression than everything else. And thinking back to those bent spark plugs? Those were probably from smaller pieces that got sucked in and crunched in the cylinders. Absolutely wild. And it's not like I obliterated the stock intake pulling it out, I just remember hearing it crack as a chain rubbed against it, there wasn't a hole big enough for one of these pieces that I saw. But lesson learned, check all the ports and a bore scope wouldn't hurt too before swapping an engine! This thing has had quite the life now, it came from a $300 vehicle with like 250k miles, was never meant to actually be run and just used as header mockup, and has now been utterly beaten and is still running! The engine is actually in a lot better shape than I had hoped, the pistons and cylinders looked fine, valvetrain was fine, compression is actually insanely consistent. Some new seals and spark plugs. Oh and cylinder 4, which I had said before the exhaust never changed color---it had a dead coil pack it's entire life! This thing has been a V7 the entire time I've owned it. And had plastic rattling around in two intake ports.

By the end of Saturday the engine was all back together and properly running on 8 cylinders for the first time ever! Maybe even consistently running on more than 6 cylinders for the first time ever...

upload_2023-8-21_8-38-38-png.jpg

On the plus side, the buggy is pretty easy to work on, I'm glad I haven't compromised that some way yet. There are a few things I'd like to change eventually to make wrenching on it easier, like the steam vent port lines could be longer so they don't snake through the fuel lines and require one of the two to be removed to remove the supercharger. Stuff like that, but overall it's still easy to swap a head gasket in a few hours and if it wasn't for the supercharger would be an easy task.

Additionally some other progress was made. My neighbor figured out a way to mount the supercharger bypass valve so now the engine isn't always in boost! The intercooler tank was getting extremely hot before, which I guessed was from always being in boost since my Tundra's supercharger intercooler is always around ambient but only sees boost at higher throttle for short periods of time. I'm very excited for this, some testing will see if it fully fixes the intercooler getting so hot but I'm hopeful and it should make the engine happier and less stressed and maybe make the throttle curve a bit less aggressive.

upload_2023-8-21_8-44-23-png.jpg

My other friend also got half of the body cut out and mounted yesterday so it's starting to look fancy! Kind of funny the only tubes that are really used from the original Rock Lizard kit are the tubes the body mounts to, so some of the rock lizard DNA comes out. There will be two additional panels per side, one being the big triangle behind the seat, and then the big trapezoid next to the fuel cell. Additionally in the plans is to properly brace the rear bump stop, I'm hoping I can get a sway bar install behind/below the fuel cell before the end of the week, and then a spare tire mount will get built to hang the spare at an angle way off the back that can be unbolted for crawling. I think it will look very cool, and is already looking sweet!

upload_2023-8-21_8-45-9-png.jpg

Last night we went for a short test drive now that the main body panels are on, and I also finished out the floor and the drivers head panels. The entire cab area sits in a 1/8" aluminum tub essentially. If the engine, trans, tire, or fuel cell explodes there is 1/8" plate in all of those locations. This was a short drive, there was something that was rpm/suspension position dependent making a thrumming noise. Not sure if it's the front driveline, or the front axle, it could even be one of the new body/floor panels just resonating. The drivers header also tickles the upper link, and since the header got pulled multiple times I'm wondering if it's that rattling against the link. I'm not too worried about it, it wasn't doing it on the Friday test drive so seems like something that was added or changed. I'll pull the front drive slugs so I can run it in 2WD without the front driveshaft and diff spinning, and then compare to 4WD with them spinning to see if I can isolate where it's coming from. Worst case it is a driveline issue, and I'll just leave the drive slugs out for the race and be in 2WD like every other vehicle. More likely I think, it's a body panel or the exhaust tapping away.

The engine sounds quite a bit more nasty now that it's running right. It feels good, I think I need to tweak the tune a bit but it's running strong and I seemingly put it back together correctly.

upload_2023-8-21_8-54-47-png.jpg

upload_2023-8-21_8-55-2-png.jpg

There's not much left on the list of must haves for the race. The buggy has to be completed by Thursday night since we drive up Friday. The last three things it really needs is a hood (waiting on more aluminum today or tomorrow), fire suppression (will mount the two 10lb tanks below/in front of the seats), and window nets (the PRP nets I ordered and shipped a week ago are now in Kentucky? So I just overnighted some off the shelf nets from Summit that I'll make work). There's a bunch of other little stuff, like wrapping hoses in rubber line, the spare tire (big task, but not mandatory), ergonomic tweaks, lowrance shows up today, etc. She was giving me a run for my money Saturday morning thinking I might not make the race, but it's back on track and fingers crossed we make it!

That engine stuff is wild. I had an aircraft engine suck a plastic piece in and it ran like shit for several hours. We were pulling our hair out trying to figure out what was going on when it fixed itself. Later we discovered the plastic elbow on the air cleaner duct had a piece missing. We now figure that piece gradually melted and went through the engine.

Anyways, great work!

That engine stuff is wild. I had an aircraft engine suck a plastic piece in and it ran like shit for several hours. We were pulling our hair out trying to figure out what was going on when it fixed itself. Later we discovered the plastic elbow on the air cleaner duct had a piece missing. We now figure that piece gradually melted and went through the engine.

Anyways, great work!
That's crazy, and scary for an aircraft! On my Tundra's supercharger I had something (rock, socket, something from the airbox?) get sucked in and it went through the rotors and bent them and made the rotors mistimed so they were eating themselves. No idea what got sucked into them, though it didn't seem to make it to the engine. I continue to be amazed at the shit engines can handle and be unphased.

PART 1: Last week has been insane, last 48 hours have been more insane. This whole month has been one of the hardest pushes I've done on anything and ended in a way to make it certainly memorable.

I don't have many photos from the past week, but I'll post what I do have. Starting with a steering wheel extension. The steering wheel placement has always been slightly awful. It's fine for crawling but not setup for good twitchy control or extended comfort--- let alone harnessed in which is a completely different animal to normal wheeling. I machined a 4" extension out of delrin (since it was the only material with a large enough diameter I had laying around) to push the disconnect and steering wheel apart. Kind of funky on the one hand and some getting used to to pop the wheel on and off, but is also nice since it keeps the steering column from protruding out extremely far. The 4" extension is a huge difference, I used to be conscious of the steering wheel position driving and now don't even think about it and can react a lot faster and easier with more range of motion.

pxl_20230822_041040169-jpg.jpg

Other things on the list but low priority that I want to change for comfort is adjust the brake pedal, and put a jog in the transfer case shifters to bring them a bit closer so I don't have to stretch for them.

I think I had mentioned in the last post that the handling has degraded. I had adjusted the front axle position so it was centered relative to the nose so that the bump stops hit the axle at the same spot from center. This then jacked up the alignment, and was very noticable driving that the axles weren't parallel. I have a friend that runs an alignment shop in town so was able to get on his alignment rack, and the night before did my best to align everything. The rear end still seemed fine and was pretty square with the chassis, though the front was not the same---which is good, the rear is extremely hard to adjust the alignment where as the front requires a crescent wrench and that's it.

pxl_20230822_140415516-jpg.jpg

On the rack it turned out my tape measure alignment was pretty close, and he was able to show me the lateral misalignment of the axles, the thrust angle, all the toe specs, the whole 9 yards. We adjusted the front end a bit to get the two axles parallel to each other and then adjusted the front end toe. Everything except caster on one side is in the green as far as a conventional F350 alignment is concerned. The rear housing is bent front to back a bit, I think it was like 0.75deg of total toe between the rear wheels. But now I know the alignment of everything is at a good an as close to perfect baseline as possible. I will probably adjust the toe and caster and see how I like it, but I know where the reset point is which is great.

That afternoon I then had a remote tuning session with a guy named Andrew from the Holley forums, I think his website and contact info is Dr. EFI. After we got the engine running correctly, the tune was off more than I would've liked with the engine now running lean at times. I figured with the race coming up, the engine configuration now changed, and my inherent lack of knowledge about using the Holley, that it'd be easier to have a professional do it.

pxl_20230822_201032117-jpg.jpg

We had a few phone calls, a couple drives, and he tweaked just about everything and now the engine is running very good. I also had the supercharger bypass valve plumbed wrong and didn't have the fuel pressure regulator hooked up to the supercharger so he had me do that and it runs great now! I haven't put a lot of miles on it, but it's pretty nasty for what it is and I can't wait to drive it more!

I did do one little test drive though, and half way through pulled the front hub lock outs to test the vibration issues I had been having. Lol and behold that fixed it! And putting the front drive line into drive made the vibration happen again.

pxl_20230822_214113022-jpg.jpg

There was a nut on one of the carrier bearing u joints that had backed out a little, so I'm thinking that may have been the issue. But since fixing that I didn't drive it again to see if that really was the issue.

The next few days was a flurry of activity with not many photos. The fire suppression mounting was a bit of a bitch, I decided to only mount one of the two tanks (one is actually meant for suppression, the other is an extinguisher that CAN be setup for suppression but the extinguishers huge handle makes packaging it a lot harder). I mounted the tank in the rear, above the wishbone. The tanks come with these kind of derpy straps that are like 0.75" wide and .030" thick, and I've had plenty of extinguishers fall due to the hose clamps breaking so just relying on those for a tank that weighs 20lbs put me on edge. My maybe janky solution to this was to make some bulkheads essentially that the tank loosely slides into, and then the two straps hold it tight. In the event a strap failed, the tank can't go anywhere and you'd need both straps to fail and even then at worst the tank will just slide back and forth a bit. With the tools, time, and space constraints I had this seemed like the best solution.

pxl_20230824_170214106-jpg.jpg

I'm hoping the huge extinguisher I could swap out the head on it for the suppression head, but worst case I'll buy a second suppression tank and mount it the same way on the driver's side. The coolant line on this side will have to get tweaked, it's fine and works but not the most elegant routing needless to say.

Because I was only mounting one suppression system, I decided it'd all be dedicated to the cockpit. I mounted the automatic heat bulb on the dash. One line runs from the tank to the bulb, kind of along the passenger seat. From the bulb it Y's off along both of the intrusion bars up to a four nozzle spray setup right at the center tube junction of the windshield bars.

pxl_20230824_175326910-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230824_175337217-jpg.jpg

I've never done anything with fire suppression before, so I figured all of this on the fly and is why it's not very invisibly integrated. I don't know how many rigs I've seen with suppression, but either they don't have it or it's well hidden! How I set it up I tried to keep it as snag free as possible. There is a nozzle pointed towards the lap and then one to the foot well on both sides. The automatic heat bulb and the fittings that came in the kit aren't very conducive to nice routing though. Like I'd prefer one line off the heat bulb going to a four way split, instead I have to use both lines off the bulb going to essentially the same location and then two T fittings. Again, not the sexiest but it'll do for now. The other suppression system I'll have dedicated to the engine bay and transmission which is what the guys at the race event recommended. The manual activation handle is mounted next to the kill switch so very easy for both occupants to access, and is setup for the second systems handle too.

pxl_20230824_170219760-jpg.jpg

Additionally, I have two 4lb traditional extinguishers mounted off the C pillars on the outside of the vehicle just above the fuel cell. In between the occupants on the roof there is a 5lb extinguisher with the same foaming product that the suppression system uses. Currently there is 23lbs of fire extinguishing product on the vehicle, with an additional 10lb suppression system coming soon. All of the small extinguishers are on pin pull quick release mounts that I made.

At this point there's no photos. I made a lowrance mount that can swing in and out for the codriver and wired that in. I'm running a gen 2 HDS 12" I got off eBay for less than a new 7" unit. The guy that was gonna codrive for me did all the body work and made a hood. We pinned the seat belt buckles, bolted the seats in properly, routed some vent lines, I braced the rear bump stops and added fuel cell bracing, and built a spare tire carrier, lots of shit got pumped out the night before we drove to the race. No pictures of any of it, but we wrapped up at 3am and I went back out at 630am to wrench a bit more and this is the sexy thing that drove out of the shop that morning!

pxl_20230825_134429432-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230825_134442985-jpg.jpg

Three weeks of going ham and it turned out great! Course most of the work you can't see, that body really elevates it from a trail buggy to looking pretty racecar like! I think the raw aluminum is sweet too!

Last edited:
PART 2 (the character and photo limits are so annoying lmao):

We loaded everything up. I really need a big boy truck; the guy codriving towed the buggy and I loaded my cab over camper onto the tundra and we headed up Friday morning, with tech happening around 4pm.

pxl_20230825_184508748-jpg.jpg

We got to the event, unloaded and went straight to tech. The only thing I was conscious of failing was the lack of identification numbers. The race we were going to was the Bonneville Off-road Racing (BOR) Knolls 200, a small Utah based racing organization. They've always been extremely cool and why I wanted to go to this race for the first time out. They were able to find some number stickers so we slapped the 4401 number on it and passed tech without issue! I have no photos whatsoever of all of this, though my wife grabbed one photo right as we had arrived.

received_1373573746560966-jpg.jpg

After tech I bumped up the coilovers by 1.5" since the spare tire was really sagging the ass past the point I wanted. We went to the drivers meeting, and after that started to prep to go for a test drive to see how the handling was. It had zero miles since adding the spare, and nearly zero with the new engine and transmission tune and suspension alignment, so I wanted some idea how it'd behave prior to starting the following morning, plus we didn't know if the drive line vibration was fixed or if we'd be running in 2wd. We were racing in the unlimited truck/buggy class which had four entrants, think a class 7 V6 pickup type, a 6100 spec trophy truck, and I'm not sure if the other one was also a spec truck or something else.

A few minutes before leaving for the test drive I received a call from my mom that something had happened and my dad was hurt. They had driven out from Colorado to watch, and had just left to go look for a fire pit. Fast forwarding the details, my dad got a flight for life helicopter ride to Salt Lake City. I cannot thank the BOR crew and volunteers and people enough, I don't know any of their names, but I don't think you could be around a better and more well prepared group of people. They took care of my dad, addressed what they could, coordinated operations and landing of a helicopter, and made the "experience" as good as possible.

pxl_20230826_020016569-jpg.jpg

Needless to say, racing was out of the question. My wife and I packed up my parents stuff and our truck and took off as soon as possible for the hospital, which was a 1.5 hour drive away. I also cannot express my thanks enough to Shad, the guy who was supposed to codrive, and his wife for all the help before the race and then following our departure. He had towed the buggy up and we left them with a campsite of parts and tools and a vehicle that wasn't theirs.

Fast forward a bit more, and the following afternoon my dad was released from the hospital. I drove my parents vehicle and them back to our house in southern Utah so they can chill for awhile. He is doing good and will recover.

We went through all the motions to race, but it didn't work out! Extremely glad my dad is alive, and he'll be able to make the next first race.

With all of that said, here are a few photos of the current form and the transformation over the past couple weeks.

pxl_20230701_015317223-jpg.jpg

And introducing the new and improved 4401:

pxl_20230827_191951425-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230827_192009264-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230827_192228925-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230827_192200558-jpg.jpg

There are a few more races this year that I have the option of doing. One or two more BOR races, a proper Ultra4 race in Arizona, maybe some other desert ones. Now I can relax a bit, continue making upgrades and stop throwing cash at it as quickly. I'm looking forward to driving it and experiencing all the new bells and whistles and performance improvements and learning how to drive it! And with some luck, and my family not getting hurt, maybe the buggy will get to its first race later this year!

My parents went back to Colorado today. My dad is still very banged up but doing much better.

Here's a bunch of jibberish jotting down my thoughts on the buggy. I had taken my mom for a ~30 mile ride a few days ago, and then today did ~20 miles by myself and tweaked on a few more things. It's running really well. Today I was able to isolate the front vibration issue down to the front driveshaft--its not the axle and it's not the carrier bearing/shorty shaft/Atlas vibrating. Looking at it, the front and rear yokes are quite a bit out of alignment with each other. Not sure how I fucked that up, but I'm suspecting that's most of the vibration. I've been wanting to order proper driveshafts anyways once I got all the suspension geometry where I wanted it. With the front driveshaft in it's not comfortable to push past 60mph, and with it out I was able to go over 90mph on the highway with surprisingly minimal vibration. The shafts I made will be good spares.

I've also started playing with the interior setup a bit. I'm pretty happy with it, and how I have the Lowrance setup I can angle it towards me as kind of a single seater configuration which actually works pretty well. I've also found out that the 7" Holley dash in the center console needs some kind of water shield, since pretty quickly I couldn't read anything on it. The little 3.5" Holley dash mounted to the steering column stayed pretty dry. Which on that note today was a good test if the systems could handle a bit of water since it's been dumping lately and the front end absolutely yeets water into the cockpit.

My two biggest complaints with the handling is the turning speed and the body roll. I have some sway bars here but they're too short, so I ordered a TK1 "medium Ultra4" bar which should be here next week. I think that will make a big difference and it will be mounted behind the fuel cell and then connect to the trailing arms. If need be I can run a front sway bar too. In regards to the steering I'm running a 3 turn orbital, and Howe has a 2 turn which I think is completely plug and play, though I'll have to call them if the pump would need to be changed out. I could also get a steering quickener but from what I've heard those can cause issues trying to over speed the orbital essentially.

There's another Bonneville Off-road race that's in Vernal UT on October 7th that I'm heavily leaning towards attending. Though that'll be fairly dependent on getting the handling under control. I can also tweak the shocks a bit but right now they feel pretty amazing so I'm hesitant to stiffen them up yet.

And lastly I'm thinking of getting a good transmission or sending off one of the 4L80s to get rebuilt. Once I get that Im kind of thinking to fully tear the buggy down to sand blast, inspect, and paint the chassis. And then I'll drop in the new engine and transmission. If I'm going to pull the powerplant that seems like as good a time as any to tear it down to paint it. I'd like to do that before the end of the year, but who knows when that will actually happen.

And here's a couple photos from the test drive today.

pxl_20230902_185050882-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230902_185043565-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230902_185032676-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230902_185018605-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230902_185009915-jpg.jpg

Look a lot like my build…are running a single spring on the front coil over?

just for giggles id find a way to mount that rear tire UNDER the chassis in the rear, i bet it makes a world of difference.

just for giggles id find a way to mount that rear tire UNDER the chassis in the rear, i bet it makes a world of difference.
Not a bad idea, the body roll went up considerably throwing it on. The spare tire mount bolts into four tabs so it's easy to pull/reconfigure. Could have a low mount for go fast stuff and off/high mount for the rocks.

Not a bad idea, the body roll went up considerably throwing it on. The spare tire mount bolts into four tabs so it's easy to pull/reconfigure. Could have a low mount for go fast stuff and off/high mount for the rocks.

all of your weigh from the b-pillar back is above your belt line coupled with the rear suspension setup, youll need a lot of swaybar

Quick question, what are your spring rates in the rear? Also I’m running a Speedway Motors sway bar, I look for the rate of the bar, but it’s a 48 splined version…

Quick question, what are your spring rates in the rear? Also I’m running a Speedway Motors sway bar, I look for the rate of the bar, but it’s a 48 splined version…
250/300 using 48" ruffstuff arms (~1.6x motion ratio). They were pretty good without the spare and good enough to be used with the spare but are on the soft side, which is what I was originally shooting for since I wasn't sure how the rear end would be permanently configured. Without the spare I had 0.5-1" preload at full droop, with the spare I think I'm at 2-3" of preload with 10-12" of up travel at the axle.

I may bump the rear rate when running the spare. Though I also have the crossover rings set as high as possible in the back per ADS recommendation so could drop those to help with body roll too. We'll see how much the TK1 1.25" sway bar helps.

Copy…our builds took a similar path..:..using Trm link tabs on 2”X.250 dom about 44”. 200 over 250 with about 1” of pre load. I found the rear sway bar helps a lot…

Been a hell of a week traveling, but I was able to come home to my new sway bar yesterday and installed it today! As is tradition, literally nothing on this project has had any future planning because every single component I have zero experience with. So in this case, I welded this tube on what, two weeks ago? And it would've to the sway bars I had laying around, but since I bought a larger sway bar it didn't fit, so first task was cutting out the rear lower tube.

pxl_20230909_181245355-jpg.jpg

TK1 offers a few sway bar sizes, with their largest bars being 1.5" in diameter (I got a 1.25"), so finally a bit of forward thinking was applied and I put a 2.0" tube in so I'm not limited if I want a stiffer sway bar.

pxl_20230909_191145778-jpg.jpg

The 1.25" bar included bushings meant for a 1.75" tube though (and they're aluminum bushings which is weird to me), so I machined some bronze bushings for the larger tube I'm using. Additionally, this is a 48" bar but there's an option for a 46.5" bar and I'm guessing it's the 48" bar cut down since there's a lot of extra spline length not being used. Because of that I actually cut the chassis tube down to the shortest length allowable if I were to shove the sway bar arms all the way inboard, and then the new bronze bushings have a 0.5" "spacer section" between the tube and the arm so I have some adjustability to move the arms in and out (the arms are also offset where the linkage attaches and where the arm clamps the bar, so if the arms are flipped left/right there's additional adjustability in/out). All of that to say, I tried to set it up so I wouldn't have to cut anything up for awhile!

pxl_20230909_202532500-jpg.jpg

The sway bar linkage I then mounted to the trailing arm. Two reasons for this, one being there's only so many tube locations I can possibly mount the bar and that then limits what the linkage can actually go to. The other reason is TK1 states the arm length should be at least the travel length the sway bar linkage sees, and these were either the longest or second longest arms available (22" as I recall) so I had to mount the sway bar linkage to something that would only travel 22" or less---so axle mounting is out of the question since it's strapped at 24". With all that said, the best packaging that seemed like it'd stay away from the tire and be within the constraints of the sway bar's claimed elasticity was going to a rear chassis tube and part way between the shocks and the axle on the trailing arm.

pxl_20230910_004349101-jpg.jpg

And I took it for a rip and it rips! Way better feeling! I was getting worried it might not be cut out for the to fast life, but the sway bar erased that thought. It still has a good bit of body roll, I don't know how much other vehicles have since I have absolutely zero point of reference, but it rolls over a couple degrees and then the sway bar hand of God pushes against the chassis and says that's good right there. I think the body roll feels fine, though I'm comparing to how it was before so that's not saying much.

I did do a 32 mile drive on my usual test route and it seemed pretty quick and much more controlled feeling. I'll have to do a timed lap with the can am for some reference. The buggy will cruise at 50mph and it doesn't feel like, where as the can am being so much lower and smaller feels like you're going a lot faster.

I don't know if it's a complaint or even how to fix it, but it seems extremely over steer(y?). It would be happy drifting everywhere it goes. The slow steering doesn't help things, and maybe I just need to learn to drive it better, or maybe the tires have no traction since they always seem to be spinning, maybe it's from how rear weight biased it is? Like I keep saying, I have no comparison. Trailing arms, full hydro, tires, sway bar, lots of rear weight, for all I know how it handles is an inherent characteristic about something I did but I have no idea since it's different than anything else I've driven. The one notable thing is so far I've been in 2wd which certainly doesn't help with the ass sliding out.

pxl_20230910_014033898-jpg.jpg

I am having an absolute blast with it. I'll have to play on some rocks soon to see how it handles with the spare tire, or pull the spare and/or sway bar and see if it still crawls alright like it did at the beginning of the summer. Though converting between go fast trim and rock crawling trims sounds kind of lame, so maybe I'll just live with the limits of it's current configuration.

Finally starting to cool off enough to go wheeling in the rocks. But first my front axle seals had long abandoned me, and of course that requires disassembling most of the axle.

pxl_20230915_231335076-jpg.jpg

While I was in there I decided to pull the pinion and install the oil slinger. That was a bit of a confusing cluster fuck because I thought you had to remove the same amount of pinion preload spacers as depth spacers removed due to the inner bearing position moving, but that's not the case since the pinion itself didn't change position. That took a lot of reassembling and confusion and calling people and after explaining it multiple times realized what was happening. I also backed off the pinion preload a bit from what it was to play it safe since I was gonna be running less fluid than before with the oil slinger. All of that said, the bearings are running nice and cool and the axle seals haven't failed yet! I also cut the front driveshaft and welded it together to clock the yokes correctly, I took it up to 70mph with the front driveshaft installed and while there's some vibrations it's a lot better than before and everything seems to be running great! I'll still get a properly made driveshaft but I can't complain right now.

I met up with RPS1030 and Pyleit and we decided to do a trail called Chain Reaction rated a 9. This was the first time any of us had been in the rocks since our last time together (though granted mine has maybe 200 miles on it since then but just on fire trails essentially).

I decided to keep the buggy in the "high speed configuration" to see how compromised it'd be crawling, meaning the spare tire and sway bar were hooked up. And of course it has a few hundred other pounds of shit now installed.

The first obstacle I ended up bypassing after a few attempts. It's severely undercut, and while I was able to get my front tires up, I couldn't get the rear up and over without the front end coming up and trying to roll backwards. RPS1030 had the same issues I had trying to get through it.

pxl_20230917_145647151-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230917_145917439-jpg.jpg

Though the Pyleit walked through it without issue!

pxl_20230917_150310664-jpg.jpg

The next obstacle I also had to bail on, but at least this time all three of us had to bypass it. It was super slick and no matter where any of us went we'd always end up falling back into these slick bowl type features that the tires always seemed destined for. We have a lot of setup variety among us too so I was surprised none of us could make it. Might be a 9 rated trail but the first two obstacles on this day were a bit beyond that.

pxl_20230917_152441645-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230917_152709533-jpg.jpg

After that I had no idea where I was going but found this cool little obstacle that was close to the limit of what mine could do. It was a lot of fun and super tippy with a lot of 2 or 3 wheel action. On my last attempt Pyleit said to try a front dig and that somehow pulled the front end down and over the obstacle and it crawled through! Pictures stolen from RPS1030

img_5227-jpg.jpg

img_5229-jpg.jpg

After this climb, I had to drop through this crack back into the canyon, which involved a 4000 point turn and I decided to just lay the chassis into one side of the crack and slide down it, which gave the driver's side some nice rock rash. RPS1030 didn't want to do that, so picked a much more elegant way of reentering the canyon :grinpimp:

pxl_20230917_154801043-jpg.jpg

pxl_20230917_154815594-jpg.jpg

Quick winch over and good to go, and leaving a nice calling card in the sand!

pxl_20230917_155355132-jpg.jpg

Quite a bit of oil was lost, and his rig was having some brake issues so we headed back to the trucks at this point (RPS1030 picked up all the oily sand and put it in Pyleit cooler).

pxl_20230917_154649825-jpg.jpg

Bit of a short outing. I had run this trail in my 80 series a long time ago but I must've bypassed everything possible since it was a lot trickier than I remembered. Will be fun to go back and finish it off, maybe see if I can massage my way through the first obstacle.

As I said at the beginning, the front axle seems a lot happier at the moment at least and is running nice and cool, no leaking, and the front driveshaft is improved. I also shortened the front limit straps by an inch since they were a bit long before. It still seemed pretty stable with the spare and sway bar cancelling each other out. Not sure if I'll always run it like that, but it seemed fine. The shocks need a bit of tuning, in the whoops it was definitely too soft and getting into the bumps, but overall it was way smoother than before. Last time I was at sand hollow the sand trails were brutal from all the UTV washboard and would beat the shit out of you, most of that I can barely feel now and I can just watch the front drivers tire hopping all over and the chassis staying nice and composed. I think the bypasses just need a little tube adjustment, and the tubes are pretty open right now so lots of adjustment in them. I also didn't tweak on the rear since adding the spare so it's still extra soft in the back.

Overall very happy! 4wd is working great, suspension is doing work, it's still crawling and more capable than I am at picking lines, and with the new interior configuration and the engine tuned it's a lot easier and more relaxing to drive.

And here's a picture of my fat creature because why not.
pxl_20230917_222852283-jpg.jpg

After this climb, I had to drop through this crack back into the canyon, which involved a 4000 point turn and I decided to just lay the chassis into one side of the crack and slide down it, which gave the driver's side some nice rock rash. @RPS1030 didn't want to do that, so picked a much more elegant way of reentering the canyon :grinpimp:
#NaviagationalyChallenged :homer:

Haven't done anything to the buggy since I took it out two weeks ago. There's a race in northern Utah I'm going to on Saturday, so the past couple days I put some miles on it to make sure everything was working good. I also took it to Sand Hollow to do some shock tuning in the whoops.

upload_2023-10-4_10-57-59-png.jpg

This was the first time I had a chance in the whoops to try and dial it in. I only spent an hour or so running that section, but was able to bump my comfortable speed from 35mph to 45-50mph which is pretty good. Even in the Can-Am I don't usually go much faster through that stretch. I think I've pushed up against the steering as my limiting factor for wanting to go faster. The 3-turn orbital just isn't responsive enough to feel like I can correct in time going over 50mph. I'll play with the shocks more, so maybe it'll settle the chassis down a bit more but I don't know how much more speed I can pick up safely.

Other interesting points: the rear is extremely soft, the back was originally valved without the spare tire in mind. I have the rear bypasses almost fully closed and it's still using more of the bump stop than the fronts. Will need to bump the rear compression stack. I also feel like the rebound isn't fast enough, but it's hard to say since I didn't mess with it, but from some of the videos it seemed like the axles weren't drooping out fast enough. I think the rebound tubes are fully open, and not much rebound valving anyways, so it might just be a limitation of the axle inertia and not a lot of spring rate. The front I stiffened up a lot, but not as much as the rear. Right now the front and rears use about 1" of bump stop travel during hard hits which I think is good. With all of that said, the washboard and UTV mini whoop compliance definitely took a hit. Still a lot better than before I revalved the shocks, but due to stiffening the compression tubes to handle the whoops I then loss the squishiness for the small stuff. I'll try and bump compression valving on the front and rear so I can open up the ride height compression tubes more to get more of a compression ramp up than I have now and see how much that will help. And lastly, the front coilovers don't have any valving in them at all, and the front bypasses after just a handful of passes were probably approaching 200deg. They were the hottest I've felt shocks (not that that's saying much), and I know the shocks have a lot of temperature capacity left but this was literally a couple miles of running this section and already getting that hot. Not surprised by this fact, but worth noting. The rears were quite a bit cooler and not concerned much.

My plan for the race on Saturday is to prerun the course and then adjust the bypasses for the course. If there's not really any whoops I'll go back to the original tube settings, if there's whoops and hard hits then I'll keep it in the current stiff configuration.

After the tuning I did a quick sprint around Sand Hollow running up West Rim then through the dunes and back to the park. This was the fastest and hardest I've pushed the buggy, just due to all the baby heads and rocks (we weren't even going that fast, maybe 30-40mph through most of it) but it was a good little brutality test compared to what's near the house. At the end of all of this, I had lost a limit strap bolt but otherwise everything was good!

I had wanted to get 80-100 miles of driving in though, which I wasn't able to do on Sunday. On Monday one of my friends was going for a ride up the mountain so I decided to take the buggy out, even though it would mostly be dirt roads but it'd be a good endurance test of the buggy putting a lot of miles on and running non stop for an extended period and everything getting up to and maintaining temperature.

upload_2023-10-4_11-16-57-png.jpg

We drove from the house up to Brianhead to find some snow. The only prep I did was a quick bolt check and I wired in the driver's heated seat (owned these seats for like 6 years and never hooked the heating elements up) which was a great idea! Jump suit, helmet, gloves, and the back and bottom heater running and I was totally comfortable and it was down into the 20s at the top.

upload_2023-10-4_11-18-44-png.jpg

Also a good test of resistance to the elements.

upload_2023-10-4_11-19-16-png.jpg

upload_2023-10-4_11-19-47-png.jpg

At the very top at 11,300 feet

upload_2023-10-4_11-20-10-png.jpg

upload_2023-10-4_11-20-23-png.jpg

At the end of the day we did 65 miles, and no issues whatsoever. Buggy is running absolutely great!

upload_2023-10-4_11-21-35-png.jpg

After a bath yesterday I went out again for a final test drive, putting another 40 miles on it. I also found a dirt bike track type thing, though maybe it's from the Legacy offroad race that's put on locally, but there were some sections with some pretty big and nasty whoops. I ran through that area a few times, and might go back there in the future to layout a short course and get some timed laps in to try and really dial it in a repeatable setting. Interestingly this section the front shocks didn't warm up as much as I was expecting, not sure what about the Sand Hollow stretch was working them so hard.

upload_2023-10-4_11-23-40-png.jpg

The handling is feeling really good too. A few posts back I had commented on the oversteer issues I was having in corners but that was before hooking up the front driveshaft. I had done some reading and having too large a rear sway bar can cause oversteer since the outside rear tire gets overloaded trying to keep the chassis flat, and the solution is a smaller rear bar/larger front bar so I was thinking I might have to do that. But with 4wd engaged the oversteer is nearly non existent, it's just barely there on the throttle like I want but none of the hyper drifty tendencies it was doing before now that the front can help pull it out of corners. The whole thing feels really planted, a bit of body roll that feels fine in really tight stuff, and in larger turns the chassis is really flat. I am extremely happy how it's handling and glad I was able to get 100+ miles in the past two days to get a bit of seat time and learn it. It finally feels like I wouldn't be the slowest person at a race and it's a ton of fun and a lot easier to drive compared to a few weeks ago.

I don't plan to do much prep to it for the race. Check the fluids, check some bolts, and that's about it. The one thing I do need to fix is the driver's upper link was rubbing on the exhaust (a known issue) and finally rubbed through the header tube. Now that it has self clearanced I'll go in and weld a plate in---besides that though it's ready to rock I think! The race on Saturday is 8 laps of 17 miles, I'm not sure what the terrain is like but probably pretty similar open desert and shrubs. Should be a fun and chill little break in race.

Top Back Refresh