What's new

RECORD NUMBER OF FREIGHTERS AWAIT OFF CALIFORNIA COAST

Ya, i don't get it, we have tower crane guys working 6/10s-7/12s, but lifting the exact same 3 boxes over and over again is just too stressful for more than 3 days at a time. They deserve to make $150k a year too! :shaking:
$150k? Phhhh! Double that and you might be close.

Im aware of the differences and the similarities. Theyre all trash. They all have an entitlement attitude. The trade unions are no different. Slowing work because "carrying drywall is a laborers job but theyre all busy right now, you have to wait". Like I said fuck unions and fuck their members.
What in the fuck? Guessing you were pushed out.

What in the fuck? Guessing you were pushed out.
Pushed out? No. When I was much younger working through college I saw first hand how the lazy bastards worked and their ethics. Non union sites with union sub contractors whose guys who would grab handfulls of wet concrete and shove it down conduit runs to block wire pulls. Labor reps who would yell at and try and stop carpenters for moving bundles of steel stud because that was their labor guys jobs. All to slow the work of non union GCs so people would hire union ones. IBEW and Teamsters (laborers) were the worst always trying to fuck shit up on non union sites. Fuck them. Unions should be abolished. Laziest most entitled ****s out there. Thats why they fit so well with democrats. Unions, the original snowflakes.

Im aware of the differences and the similarities. Theyre all trash. They all have an entitlement attitude. The trade unions are no different. Slowing work because "carrying drywall is a laborers job but theyre all busy right now, you have to wait". Like I said fuck unions and fuck their members.
I wrote a whole dissertation complete with quotes and searched facts, but then I realised I was wasting my time because like so many others here facts just get in the way of your small minded "I know what I know, and you can't change my mind"

I have worked both sides if you read my posts in the "shutdown" thread you will I have been in my trade for a number of years. All those jobs were nonunion, we worked 8,10,12 hours with only 1/2 off for lunch no 15 minute scheduled breaks which is the way they got around it "No scheduled breaks" if you felt like you needed a break take it they said BULLSHIT! You were seen taking a break and you had a chance of getting fired, so it had better be assholes and elbows for the full day.
No water to wash up before lunch so you carry baby wipes, a very unsatifactory substitute
No designated area for lunch, just sit down on the floor or in the dirt in what ever shade you can find.
Went on my first Union job and couldn't believe the difference we worked just as hard, but had all the above. Were there dick heads and lazy asses yup have them everywhere, you just work around them

Oh by the way Trade Unions only represent 10% of the work force amazzing how they can swing the rest of you around isn't it

Yeah I know cry me a river.

That last part (IMO) is the part of The balancing act that I think many unions that primarily work with one company miss, they don't seem to pay attention to the fact that if they put the company that they work for out of business or make it so that they cannot work profitably they will shut down or move eventually.

Exactly.

Aaron Z

There was an old union leader who said "the worker's worst enemy is a company that is not making money".

Unions have changed a lot since.

I have been union for over ten years and have never dealt with the shit some of you are talking about. I’m not saying that culture doesn’t exist, I am telling you that it isn’t like you make it out to be 100% of the time. But you knew that already.

know how i know youre a little bitch?
Hell till I had them I never missed them but afterward damn.
As soon as I got my own gang box I had a fold up chair in it which was great when lunch was near my gang box.
And son ain't nobody who has met me accused me of being little!

Hell till I had them I never missed them but afterward damn.
As soon as I got my own gang box I had a fold up chair in it which was great when lunch was near my gang box.
And son ain't nobody who has met me accused me of being little!
sorry big bitch :flipoff2:

Read an article that made a lot of sense. Part of the problem in CA is that they have outlawed private owners operators. That is the biggest group to serve the docks. Ca has also outlawed trucks older than 2011, and have outlawed diesel trucks after 2034? for electric trucks - which don't even exist yet, so trucking companies aren't investing in new trucks that will be outlawed in a few years.

CA has helped create this mess, and there's no end in sight. I just hope other ports pick up their failure forcing their docks out of business.

Read an article that made a lot of sense. Part of the problem in CA is that they have outlawed private owners operators. That is the biggest group to serve the docks. Ca has also outlawed trucks older than 2011, and have outlawed diesel trucks after 2034? for electric trucks - which don't even exist yet, so trucking companies aren't investing in new trucks that will be outlawed in a few years.

CA has helped create this mess, and there's no end in sight. I just hope other ports pick up their failure forcing their docks out of business.
It's a moving window. You can't have a truck over 10 years old on the ports. So if you run cans for a living you're buying a new truck every 10 years. :homer:

It's a moving window. You can't have a truck over 10 years old on the ports. So if you run cans for a living you're buying a new truck every 10 years. :homer:

Reading the big dummy's plan to fix the ports this morning, run the docks 7x24 :homer: . Nothing in the plan about fixing the real issue of not enough trucks to move the freight :homer::homer: . If if someone want's to buy a California legal truck, you can't right now because of parts shortage to make the trucks :homer::homer::homer:.

I guess there is no warehouse space left, so running 24x7 won''t fix shit.

Reading the big dummy's plan to fix the ports this morning, run the docks 7x24 :homer: . Nothing in the plan about fixing the real issue of not enough trucks to move the freight :homer::homer: . If if someone want's to buy a California legal truck, you can't right now because of parts shortage to make the trucks :homer::homer::homer:.

Would you expect anything less? All they're good at is creating problems and then not being able to fix them due to their own rules thus creating crisis after crisis to save us all.

And people can't see it.. 🤦

A truck driver posted a FB video yesterday showing trucks parked all over the place. He said he had been there for two days and the cranes had not moved at all. He said he wanted to clarify that it wasn't a trucking issue but a dock worker issue.

Shrug...

Based on Bidens speach on now,, the ports have only been open and unloading from 9-5 weekdays

I keep reading this as "Record number of FireFighters Await off California Coast" and it keeps causing me confusion.

:flipoff2:

Would you expect anything less? All they're good at is creating problems and then not being able to fix them due to their own rules thus creating crisis after crisis to save us all.

And people can't see it.. 🤦

Didnt you know? They created a task force. They're working on it. Nothing gets tasks done, like a force does.

Task force. Advisory board. Task Board. Advisory force.

get paid a bunch, be vague and non-committal.

Have any of you guys done any research into this? I mean, there have to be hundreds if not thousands of workers on those docks for the normal 9-5, where the fuck did they find all these new schmo's to ramp it up to 24/7?

Have any of you guys done any research into this? I mean, there have to be hundreds if not thousands of workers on those docks for the normal 9-5, where the fuck did they find all these new schmo's to ramp it up to 24/7?
You actually believe what he says?

I have never been to the docks but I always assumed they were unloading containers 24/7? :confused:

I can't imagine they are running bankers hours at the Port of Long Beach and others.

I can't imagine they are running bankers hours at the Port of Long Beach and others.
They're not. They do already run 24/7. The port gets paid by the boat. The faster the boat is gone, the more munna. In LB & LA it's primarily a lack of workers and trucks

I have never been to the docks but I always assumed they were unloading containers 24/7? :confused:

"The Southern California ports are generally open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. They are open for limited hours on Saturdays and are usually closed on Sundays."

So they will add a few hours a day and weekends, but that's not going to fix the all issues,

" Steve Denton, chief executive of Ware2Go, whose software helps retailers find warehouse space, says the White House initiative will not resolve all of the bottlenecks merchants are struggling with. As well as packed warehouses, “you’ve got a lack of truck drivers and the trains are running at full capacity,” he says. “You’ve got record levels of inventory in the country already. That inventory’s got to get cleared out to make room first. Where’s it all going to go?”

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

So somehow they have to ramp up transport out of the ports, but there is only so many trucks that can or will run in California and the trains are maxed. So what's the solution?

Maybe offload shit in Mexico and run it north via Mexican drivers? I'm not sure how much more the ports in Portland and Seattle can handle and if they can find trucks with drivers. The last I heard is there is no new commercial trucks to be had even if you can find drivers. Maybe it's time for Elon to bring on the self driving trucks.

Nearly the entire state "leadership" team ought to be thrown into the harbor and non CARB compliant used trucks should haul that freight out of the Port. The union folks who try to get in the middle ought to be thrown into the harbor too with a pink slip stapled to their foreheads.

"The Southern California ports are generally open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. They are open for limited hours on Saturdays and are usually closed on Sundays."

So they will add a few hours a day and weekends, but that's not going to fix the all issues,

" Steve Denton, chief executive of Ware2Go, whose software helps retailers find warehouse space, says the White House initiative will not resolve all of the bottlenecks merchants are struggling with. As well as packed warehouses, “you’ve got a lack of truck drivers and the trains are running at full capacity,” he says. “You’ve got record levels of inventory in the country already. That inventory’s got to get cleared out to make room first. Where’s it all going to go?”

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

So somehow they have to ramp up transport out of the ports, but there is only so many trucks that can or will run in California and the trains are maxed. So what's the solution?

Maybe offload shit in Mexico and run it north via Mexican drivers? I'm not sure how much more the ports in Portland and Seattle can handle and if they can find trucks with drivers. The last I heard is there is no new commercial trucks to be had even if you can find drivers. Maybe it's time for Elon to bring on the self driving trucks.

The "No new commercial trucks available" line is total bullshit. The Freightliner dealer near me must have 15 of every color and model truck they make sitting on their lot as we speak. Volvo/Mack dealer here is the same way. It's definitely not a lack of trucks.

Top Back Refresh