What's new

RECORD NUMBER OF FREIGHTERS AWAIT OFF CALIFORNIA COAST

I dismiss that article on just the basis that they are implying that there are so many ships that the coast has ran out of room to park them

I’ve read about this for a week or so. Why are they being held up?

I heard it was due to some labor dispute with the dock workeres. Dont know how true it is.

Good read on wtf is going on.

The labor shortage on the distribution side is no joke. My company pays really well and these people just don't want to work, yea the jobs physically demanding, but it payd really damn good for what you are doing! $20+ and full benefits for throwing boxes onto or off of a conveyor belt!

Last edited:
Sixty-one ships were anchored offshore Thursday waiting to unload their cargo, up from a record 73 on Sunday, said Captain J. Kipling Louttit, executive director of the Marine Exchange of Southern California, a nonprofit that works in partnership with the coast. Guard to provide data on maritime trade.

61>73 ??

Captain Louttit shouldn't be providing data to anyone. :laughing:

got some update on this from yesterday. its a trucking shortage. not enough drivers.

also, the dock workers union is about to renegotiate their contract.

its going to get worse. last check i had on it was yesterday and it was 80 ships.

Oversea shipping is fucked right now. Sending a container from the US to China went from a few thousand a year ago to over $20,000 today. We've seen $12,000 line items just tacked onto shipments. I read somewhere they are set to build 600+ more ocean freighters by 2023-ish, but that wont help for shit if the ports cant handle the current rise in demand they are seeing

I keep seeing 100+ car trains with nothing but double stacked 53' containers on them here in AZ. I don't know what happens to the containers once they reach their destination, but I know some major LTL carriers have trailers stacked up like cord-wood in their yards and they get to them when they can get to them and the rest of us that need the product can fuck right off. It's a fucking mess.

Oversea shipping is fucked right now. Sending a container from the US to China went from a few thousand a year ago to over $20,000 today. We've seen $12,000 line items just tacked onto shipments. I read somewhere they are set to build 600+ more ocean freighters by 2023-ish, but that wont help for shit if the ports cant handle the current rise in demand they are seeing
The Ching-Congs are constructing and towing barges so that they can offload the container ship to the barge and leave it moored off-shore while the mother ship goes back to get more containers...eventually there's going to be a shorting of shipping containers.

The Ching-Congs are constructing and towing barges so that they can offload the container ship to the barge and leave it moored off-shore while the mother ship goes back to get more containers...eventually there's going to be a shorting of shipping containers.
There already is a container shortage, even though ~85% of containers are made in China too. Emptied containers in the US are usually loaded up and shipped back to China, that's what our shipping guys do at least. Then there is the 1 trip containers that are only built to last one trip across the ocean, then end up in peoples back yards across the US lol

got some update on this from yesterday. its a trucking shortage. not enough drivers.
Thats surprising. They are still handing out CDL's to any swinging dick or labia around here.

Have started to see some real shitboxes on the road, too. Trucks that make our farm semis look mint. Pretty unnerving being by some company steering wheel holder, watching him slam on the brakes, and hearing the brake shoe backing pads on the trailer grinding away on the drum.

I don't know how in the hell these things are passing DOT inspections. I've started staying off the interstates if I'm not in a semi myself.

So I heard in the news a few days ago it was up to over 60 anchored out there and a customer told me today that it’s rapidly approaching 120 vessels in the next month. WTF is going on?

Record number of freighters await off California coast
So it's suddenly news???

There has been a backlog of them rotating out there for 8 months. The local news shows a beach shot as their background and the number has been steadily increasing.

The normal view is Zero, but since the panic there has been a standing backlog.

They may be reaching record numbers, but its been a steady increase.

There are usually quite a few ships anchored inside SF bay, waiting to unload at port of Oakland. I was out that way a few weeks back and there seemed to be a few more than usual but its not like you are going to have the bay completely filled past capacity, that would take hundreds of ships just in SF bay alone. When they were doing all the work on the Bay Bridge a few years back there were also tons of barges anchored up so at that time the bay was as busy as I have ever seen it but certainly not 'full'

that would never happen in America.

On other news..... I'm a winner. I outdid all my neighbors.
20211001_112513.jpg

All the Q people have being running wild with this on social media. Has anyone found map data by date for comparison sale?

Are there any truckers to move the goods once they hit land?

I don't know how in the hell these things are passing DOT inspections. I've started staying off the interstates if I'm not in a semi myself.

Ita too much of a headache/work for DOT. Why pull over junk, when you could write several tickets for bullshit on a clean company truck?

It's not about safety, its about revenue.

Top Back Refresh