What's new

Random stuff you made.

Gonna need to...
20231027_154103.jpg
See those open rafters? :flipoff2:

Need adjustable bars in the back to support the pinions. It's a bitch to fish an axle out of the middle when the one above keeps rolling the pinion down on to it.
HF ratchet strap to the one above. :laughing:

He kinda called your hand. Now you have to build one:laughing:
That was my first instinctive response. Fucker has a broke hip and isn’t even here today. So the first thing I thought was “fuck you Mr. Broke Hip. I’ll throw one together real quick and you’ll just have to deal with it.”

Then I thought about all the other stuff I need to do and decided not to.

Truck frames stood on end, go up real fast...........

He get his ass kicked at bingo, or did he do somethin cool to break the hip?

Truck frames stood on end, go up real fast...........

He get his ass kicked at bingo, or did he do somethin cool to break the hip?
Fell off a building. I don’t think it’s technically broke at the moment. Just irritated. It was broke before and the first surgery was botched. I probably shouldn’t be joking about it, but here we are.

There's a swathe of in-progress photos missing here because I didn't bother to take them, but liberated a rusted out rainwater tank from my neighbour a couple of years back and turned it into a pottery shed for the girlfriend.
It's roughly 12ft diameter and 8ft high inside. Keeps her off the streets I guess...

This was covid times and I couldn't get any long timber, so I cut a cool Japanese scarfe joint into the rafters to make up the length. Can kinda see it in one of the pics...

IMG_20220702_155506.jpg
You must live way down south to need a heater in there

You must live way down south to need a heater in there
Yep. It gets cold here. Heavy frosts and bleak winter days.
I'm quite the pyromaniac so I like it. This is the only shed we have that doesn't have a fireplace/woodstove in it (yet).

It's actually quite cold today and summer is supposed to start in a few weeks...

Needed a case for my windshield chip repair kit. Had a little pelican on the shelf. Attacked some pink foam with a die grinder burr. Stole some black foam out of a pistol case. Glued it all in with headliner adhesive. Buddy is going to 3d print me some plugs to fill all the molex connector holes that were in the case and VIOLA! Not too terrible.
1699576944175.png

Last edited:
Wore out the plastic bowl on my 18lb vibratory tumbler. New bowl was like half the cost of the entire thing. So I made my own out of a couple old water heater tank ends and some other random steel. Already ran a few batches of stuff through it and it seems to work fine. I have run it with the lid off and the stuff rotates around the center post while simultaneously entering the tumbler media at the bottom and then working it's way to the top and cascading back down. So either I got it close to right or the bowl shape really doesn't matter. :laughing: Probably clean it up and throw some spray paint on it to keep it from rusting on the outside once I'm done with this next batch of stuff.

IMG_2023-11-13_19-43-29.jpeg

IMG_2023-11-13_19-43-40.jpeg

IMG_2023-11-13_19-43-50.jpeg

IMG_2023-11-13_19-45-29.jpeg

How well does a tumbler do with parts that are just barely small enough to fit in the bin?

How well does a tumbler do with parts that are just barely small enough to fit in the bin?

If they fits, they ships. As long as it's not wedged in the bin and the media can still move around the item, it'll work.

soo, whats tumbling? spent brass?
Just screws, nuts, bolts, and fittings mostly. Stuff I take off of things I strip down and simplify. I just chuck all my extra dirty hardware from those projects into a bucket until I have enough to do a few tumbler runs and then sort and put them away.

do you have a before and after of the parts
I don't have any before pictures, but just picture a bunch of rusty dirty dry bolts. If they're real greasy I'll usually separate them out and chuck them in a can of gasoline. Seems like the tumbler doesn't care for too much grease and oil. The bolts coming out of it aren't perfectly shiny and clean, and sometimes have some gunk stuck in the threads, but a hell of a lot better than they were going in and without the hassle of wire brushing every single one on the bench grinder! If I really wanted to I could do another run of them in a different media like walnut shell and they would clean up much better. I have read where some people will run the same green resin pyramid rust cutting media that I use with water and some soap or simple green and have even better results. I just don't want to deal with the mess of the liquid so I run em dry. I'm by no means an expert on it, so there may be better medias available that I don't even know about.

I will grab some pictures of the stuff I pull out of this batch. They are really dusty when you get them out, so I do it outside and keep blowing everything off with compressed air. Some stuff gets recycled into the next batch if they didn't come out clean enough, and some stuff is beyond tumbling and has to be either hit with the wire wheel, or sometimes the tumbling will reveal that the bolt is actually completely fucked and it gets scrapped. Those little pyramids like to jam in 3/8" nuts and anything around that size, so a little pocket screwdriver or pick to pry them out is a needed tool.

If they fits, they ships. As long as it's not wedged in the bin and the media can still move around the item, it'll work.

Yeah as long as it has room to rotate around the center post I haven't really had any problem with larger stuff getting clean.

based on that response, part of me says I need one of those in my inventory for cleaning up small shit. the other part of me says I should just throw it all out or wire-wheel the 4 pieces at a time that I need :homer:

do you have a before and after of the parts

Here was the last batch as it looked when I opened the lid.

IMG_2023-11-14_11-31-58.jpeg

After getting all the hardware out of the tumbler but before cleaning it off this is what it looks like.

IMG_2023-11-14_11-55-42.jpeg

It's pretty dirty/dusty and that is why I do it 100% outside. No sense getting all the dust inside the shop. Probably known to cause cancer in California...

IMG_2023-11-14_11-56-06.jpeg

5/16 and 3/8 nuts with media stuck in them. I use a little pocket screwdriver to pop them out.

IMG_2023-11-14_11-56-34.jpeg

I use this little mesh office letter organizer thingy on top of that sheet metal tray and hold it down while I blow all the dust out of the media with the air compressor. I also do this for all the small hardware so I can get it cleaned up well without it all flying everywhere from the compressed air. I've managed to keep the same media going for years this way without losing much of it. In fact I think I've only bought 2 or 3 5lb containers of media total.

IMG_2023-11-14_12-05-37.jpeg

Cleaned up/blown off hardware. Not perfect, but serviceable and a hell of a lot better than it was. Like I said if I really cared about it being perfectly clean I could probably run water and detergent with the media, or do a second tumbling with a different media. Good enough for me to throw in the bolt bins though!

IMG_2023-11-14_12-18-25.jpeg

Here was the last batch as it looked when I opened the lid.

IMG_2023-11-14_11-31-58.jpeg

After getting all the hardware out of the tumbler but before cleaning it off this is what it looks like.

IMG_2023-11-14_11-55-42.jpeg

It's pretty dirty/dusty and that is why I do it 100% outside. No sense getting all the dust inside the shop. Probably known to cause cancer in California...

IMG_2023-11-14_11-56-06.jpeg

5/16 and 3/8 nuts with media stuck in them. I use a little pocket screwdriver to pop them out.

IMG_2023-11-14_11-56-34.jpeg

I use this little mesh office letter organizer thingy on top of that sheet metal tray and hold it down while I blow all the dust out of the media with the air compressor. I also do this for all the small hardware so I can get it cleaned up well without it all flying everywhere from the compressed air. I've managed to keep the same media going for years this way without losing much of it. In fact I think I've only bought 2 or 3 5lb containers of media total.

IMG_2023-11-14_12-05-37.jpeg

Cleaned up/blown off hardware. Not perfect, but serviceable and a hell of a lot better than it was. Like I said if I really cared about it being perfectly clean I could probably run water and detergent with the media, or do a second tumbling with a different media. Good enough for me to throw in the bolt bins though!

IMG_2023-11-14_12-18-25.jpeg
very good results. like a ultrasonic cleaner with the mess. :beer:

This isnt something I made, but I had a thought the other day, and I feel pretty fucking clever right now. Probably been figured out by someone else a long time ago anyway.

Spray cans fit in beer coozies, magnetic beer coozies stick to things, viola

393113131_200118576470054_1409199436268735068_n.jpg

And something I did make, but I think I've shown before. HF hoist on strut channel. Not very heavy duty, but as you may guess, its a bit of a chore for a cripple to get shit from the floor to bench height

387323725_667642558838124_6262150319705748473_n.jpg

323924921_1483498725761872_5496757906789323285_n.jpg

And something I did make, but I think I've shown before. HF hoist on strut channel. Not very heavy duty, but as you may guess, its a bit of a chore for a cripple to get shit from the floor to bench height

And I bet it was a chore for a cripple to get that stuff to ceiling height. :flipoff2:

Here's some inspiration.

Just saw this on an Abom video. Looks neat and useful. The one on the left is rated to 500 lbs I think and the right up to 250 lbs.
These pics obviously are shown without required counterweight.

company is called skyhook

skyhook.jpg

Been cutting down some chemical tote cages for organizing stuff. I like to take the top ring off and make them a bit shorter so it is easier to reach into the bottom of them. Of course if you just cut the verticals flush with the horizontal bars then it will catch and hold water since the bottoms are pinched shut. Then they will either rust out or freeze and split. So I cut them a bit long and have been hammering them shut with a hammer and a chunk of steel as a backer. It's an odd angle and gets real tiresome and fucks with my shoulder. So I figured there has to be a better way.

So I made some new smasher dies for my hydraulic wire crimper... Works awesome! Smash them flat and then they are easy to fold over flat on the top ring.

I just cut a chunk of toolbar down to size on the bandsaw and then scribed lines on the corners where they needed cut and cut them with a zip disk. Then I split it down the middle on the bandsaw for two dies. Little bit of clean up with a file and done. Didn't need to be super precise and I didn't want to have to clean up chips from the milling machine.
IMG_2023-11-29_19-36-16.jpeg

IMG_2023-11-29_19-35-49.jpeg

IMG_2023-11-29_19-34-39.jpeg

IMG_2023-11-29_19-34-56.jpeg

Picked up a used 4 post lift a while back, but it was missing the hydraulic power unit. In keeping with being a cheap bastage, I pieced together a homebrew setup with a power steering pump. It ain't no 2 post, but sure beats laying on the ground while dropping a fuel tank or spraying undercoating. :smokin:

IMG_20230903_125938217x.jpg

DSC07252.JPG

Build vid if you wanna watch me struggle...

Top Back Refresh