What's new

Race truck 4653

I will be sticking with the 8” mini truck stuff for now. The truck got a new paint job for the 2022 race season.
51872319466_30b921d82f_b.jpg
51872319531_9eb4b2c42b_b.jpg
That’s slightly different than the burgundy and you are the first I’ve seen to paint their race vehicle post race :lmao:

What made you want to change paint colors?

My .02 from when I was racing my Toyota - I literally use red loctite on absolutely EVERYTHING with the exception of anything with aluminum threads. Tcase bolts or intake bolts, for example, get Lanocote and never had an issue with that. Maybe a dot of blue loctite would be ok. Dissassembling things that have been loctited just means you've got to wire wheel the old loctite off and get the threads nice and clean before reinstall with fresh loctite. Make sure you're torquing all your bolts to spec - sometimes what feels 'tight as fuck' is shy of the actual torque spec and will come loose, where if it was torqued to spec it would have been good.

I thought you did this, but every bolt touching leaf spring, shackle, traction bar or shock was drilled and cotter pinned after I lost a shock bolt one year. Never had that issue again after that.

I would advise against moving the shock that far back behind centerline of the front axle. For me, I didn't quite realize it as much when I was racing, but long term it causes a TON of axle wrap on the front springs - to the point that the springs start getting that S shape and eventually break. If I could do over, I would have gone with a 12" shock and put the axle-side shock mount as close to the axle centerline as I could. In my old build thread there was a bunch of effort I put into building a front traction bar to combat that - but there just isn't enough room to build something that's not binding everything up in the front. In the rear you can get away with it a little more, but there's still no way to build a traction bar on leaf springs and not have it bind at least a little bit.

And for those that haven't tried to maintain speed over lap 1 of the KOH course on a leaf sprung truck (or any rig for that matter) - you'd probably find it eye opening to do so. It's pretty harsh, and really hard on everything. I think the harshness and potential for damage to gears and tcase outputs is possibly far worse than it is in the rocks. I picture the axles/gears rotating under power from the drivetrain, while the axles are taking turns crashing into whoops or sometimes the equivalent of running into multiple curbs at speed:homer:

That said, the conundrum I was in, and still am in, is having all the best upgraded parts for 8" stuff, but multiple ring gears broken, and it doesn't seem to make sense to stick with 8" stuff if you want it to hold up. There's the 8.4 stuff that just has more girdling, but if you're upgrading full thirds/gears/lockers and modifying or upgrading to 8.4, it doesn't really seem cost effective for just a minor improvement. At that point, may as well just go full 9" - but then you add up the full cost to upgrade everything f&r to 9" stuff and you're starting to look at a chunk of change.

Anyway, there was something else that I was going to mention, but I'll post later if I remember. How did the desert loop feel this year compared to last year - did it seem more torn up?

Thanks desertPOS, that’s some good info. I am going to run this current shock setup and see how it works. The previous shock axle location will still be an option in the event they need to be moved.
51876812299_4563f45e13_b.jpg

Thanks desertPOS, that’s some good info. I am going to run this current shock setup and see how it works. The previous shock axle location will still be an option in the event they need to be moved.

The centerpoint of the lower shock eye on my axle is about 3" from the axle tube, and has been a problem for spring longevity. I didn't notice it quite as much when I was racing, since I was changing springs yearly - but after a couple years they were noticeably getting twisted into that 's' shape, then ended up breaking a bunch of leaves in both front packs a couple years ago. Could have been faulty springs - no idea...

IMG_4479.jpg

The spring packs pictured below had all but 10 miles of the '17 EMC race on them, and some trail wheeling miles on them after that. At KOH '20 I was prerunning with a friend who was racing, and we charged through guacamole, resolution, backdoor, chocolate thunder, Jack north, bender alley and part of wrecking ball when I had to limp it back to camp after seeing the packs broken (I only remember all that since I just pulled the pic from IG and saw what I wrote). So they had some rock miles on them after a few years fyi

Screen Shot 2022-02-12 at 1.17.46 PM.png

Not very lone, that guy way really slow.
Makes sense there.

I’m glad there’s someone wanting to race an EV off-road but feel like that entry takes away from what little coverage Stock class gets anyway.

I also realize Kyle worked for U4 and the EV is t technically Stock class racing but still feel like they spend way more time talking about the EV than any other non-fancy Bronco Stock class entry.

Are you running limit straps? why are you ripping shocks apart? Seen a couple other toyota guys in the 4600 class rip shocks off as well.

Are you running limit straps? why are you ripping shocks apart? Seen a couple other toyota guys in the 4600 class rip shocks off as well.
We run limit straps front and rear. The front axle swings slightly forward when the suspension is fully extended. The lower shock tabs contacted the lower shock eyelet when fully extended causing the welds on the eyelet to break off. I never noticed this when cycling the suspension prior to KOH. That's all taken care of now.

How does the shock not cram the bump at full flex?
There is plenty of room in between the shock and bump. I will mount them up and post some pics.

The rear axle arrived. I got the leaf spring perches, shock mounts, limit strap tabs and anti wrap bar mount all mocked up and tacked in.
51903156947_fc98147bc7_b.jpg
51904209348_1a59fce8dc_b.jpg
51904442879_03d9604a36_b.jpg

I recently hauled my buddy's 4500 car down to Oklahoma for the 918 Grand Prix at MidAmericaOutdoors. I was codriving for 4514. After some good prerunning and bad qualifying we ended up taking 2nd over all in the EMC class. My son also did his first RZR 170 race in freezing conditions. He ended up getting 5th place and a $100 prize check.
PXL_20220228_180028095.jpg
PXL_20220308_223020367.jpg
PXL_20220311_020945884.jpg
PXL_20220311_152944492.jpg
PXL_20220312_234039424.jpg

PXL_20220310_222338730.jpg

Now, back to the race truck!
Rear anti wrap bar done
Rear brake lines done
New rear Chase light
New TPS
New spark plugs
Full race prep is complete and we will be heading to Moab to race next weekend. We are always looking for people to help in the pits, let me know if you are interested. Free team SWAG include.
PXL_20220326_020254514.jpg
PXL_20220315_031403257.jpg
PXL_20220326_052104143.jpg
PXL_20220326_023126628.jpg

Arrived at Moab and got all set up. I did some prerunning on the qualifying lap and did a lap of the main. During prerunning I ripped the hydro assist ram mount off the axle housing. I got the mount all cleaned up and rewelded before qualifying. Bounced through the qualifying course and headed back to the pits to prep for the main. Started the main and worked out way around the first lap with no issues till we came through the start/ finish. At that point I could feel something was wrong with the steering. I radioed to the pits and pulled in. The ram mount had completely ripped off the axle. My pit crew pulled the ram, all the hoses, capped the box, taped the hole in the housing and got me back on course for lap 2. Trying to make up some time I took a line too fast and flopped the truck on the passenger side. Me and my co-driver got out, tried to winch it back over with no success. I got back in the truck, started it, threw it in reverse, gassed it and flopped it back over. We got back in and got moving again on lap 2. No other issues as we came back to the start/ finish for the checkered flag. The race is grand prix style finish so when the Lovells finished that's everyone's last lap. Overall great time and a brutal course.
PXL_20220331_155621936.jpg
IMG_20220403_150150.jpg
IMG_20220403_150135.jpg
IMG_20220403_150127.jpg
PXL_20220401_222356877.jpg
IMG_20220403_145926.jpg
IMG_20220403_150002.jpg
IMG_20220403_145954.jpg
IMG_20220403_145938.jpg
IMG_20220403_145934.jpg

Need to get out the torch and a nickel rod for that cast housing. Or is a new housing in order?

Top Back Refresh