What's new

Race truck 4653

I got the truck in rear 1 link suspension mode. I am replacing all the bushings and cleaning everything up. Also rebuilding the spare drive shafts which were the primary driveshafts previously.
51415458627_7d52159464_b.jpg
51417189570_b58c761c19_b.jpg
51416964839_bcb4a61e56_b.jpg

After years of abuse and bent, twisted and stripped out 1/2" U-bolts I chucked them in favor of 5/8" U-bolts and nyllock nuts. Much beefier and don't loosen up like my old ones constantly did. I got them from Ruff Stuff and Summit I think.

And how are your rear brakes working? As mentioned before I didn't have much luck with mine.

If you want to get serious with leafs, look at the prerunner Toyota deavers. They run spua and cycle 18" of travel. Being limited to 35s, you'd definitely take a ground clearance hit.

For the front, I'd definitely go longer, at least to a ~52" if not ~56".

Check this rig out. It must work pretty well if dude who's used to a full blown IFS 4400 built it that way. :laughing:

262974854.jpg

170878545.jpg

170878551.jpg

If you want to get serious with leafs, look at the prerunner Toyota deavers. They run spua and cycle 18" of travel. Being limited to 35s, you'd definitely take a ground clearance hit.

For the front, I'd definitely go longer, at least to a ~52" if not ~56".

Check this rig out. It must work pretty well if dude who's used to a full blown IFS 4400 built it that way. :laughing:

Thanks for the info, that Jeep‘s axle and suspension are sweet. After a few phone calls I got the leaf spring situation figured out.
51420964858_a4c4153861_b.jpg

Sky's seems like a lateral move, unless they're making custom stuff?
They were designed and tested with the help of Justin Reece for the 4619 truck. The guys at Sky seem pretty confident that these springs combined with my new properly tuned shock package will be a great combo. You can be the first to say I told you so if the truck still rides like a horse drawn buggy lol.

They were designed and tested with the help of Justin Reece for the 4619 truck. The guys at Sky seem pretty confident that these springs combined with my new properly tuned shock package will be a great combo. You can be the first to say I told you so if the truck still rides like a horse drawn buggy lol.

Yup those are the good ones, they werent making them when I needed new leafs of course :homer:

If you're getting a discount on those then that seems like a good move

For us full price suckers, deavers would end up similar in price :flipoff2:

Are you planning on the sky springs lowering the truck a fair bit? I assume they will.

I think I saw you post somewhere, pics of bolt sizes written on your frame. Is the permatex bolt mark what you are using to do that?

I'm glad they're "unavailable" :shaking:

Are you planning on the sky springs lowering the truck a fair bit? I assume they will.

I think I saw you post somewhere, pics of bolt sizes written on your frame. Is the permatex bolt mark what you are using to do that?

Yes, I knew they were going to lower the truck a bit. The suspension is going to get setup based on the new ride height.

Nuts and bolts get tightened/ torqued then marked with bolt mark. I write nut and bolt sizes with a paint marker.

Race Truck gets better every day.!

Great effort, and one that's going to pay multiple dividends!!
:)

Constantly improve your fighting position lol.

I cut out the passenger grab handle and moved the GPS down. This gives the co-driver a much better forward field of view.
51441580573_e04e23dd94_b.jpg

Here you can kinda see how high the GPS was mounted before.
51195897857_83554bd225_b-jpg.jpg

51442075209_dffee42040_b.jpg

Anyone know why all aftermarket Toyota springs are only mil wrapped on one end? My buddy has broken a front and a rear on the shackle side.

Anyone know why all aftermarket Toyota springs are only mil wrapped on one end? My buddy has broken a front and a rear on the shackle side.
Because it's not really needed. The mil wrap is just a safety design so that if your main leaf breaks you have another leaf holding your junk together.

Because it's not really needed. The mil wrap is just a safety design so that if your main leaf breaks you have another leaf holding your junk together.

Did you read the 2nd part of my post? :flipoff2:

My buddy brok the other side of the leaf last weekend. Sure, the axle wasn't walking out of the rig, but the leaf was sitting all wierd, shakle laid on the frame, ect. He could have drove it that way in an emergency, but I think it would have fucked up more things if he had.

Also, it's not just incase it breaks, it also often prevents it from breaking in the first place. Many jeep springs are offered with them on both sides, why not Toyota?

Constantly improve your fighting position lol.

I cut out the passenger grab handle and moved the GPS down. This gives the co-driver a much better forward field of view.
51441580573_e04e23dd94_b.jpg

Here you can kinda see how high the GPS was mounted before.
51195897857_83554bd225_b-jpg.jpg

51442075209_dffee42040_b.jpg

Attachments

• 20210204_130240.jpg
    20210204_130240.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 34
Did you read the 2nd part of my post? :flipoff2:

My buddy brok the other side of the leaf last weekend. Sure, the axle wasn't walking out of the rig, but the leaf was sitting all wierd, shakle laid on the frame, ect. He could have drove it that way in an emergency, but I think it would have fucked up more things if he had.

Also, it's not just incase it breaks, it also often prevents it from breaking in the first place. Many jeep springs are offered with them on both sides, why not Toyota?
Yeah, if your buddys breaking springs that easy he has some major issues going on. Probably shackle inversion or improperly setup/no bumpstops.

Sorry for jamming up your thread pitbullcruiser, truck is looking awesome :smokin:

Yes, I knew they were going to lower the truck a bit. The suspension is going to get setup based on the new ride height.

Nuts and bolts get tightened/ torqued then marked with bolt mark. I write nut and bolt sizes with a paint marker.

It's helpful to write torque specs next to things you want pit crew to torque also, I found. I had guys torque ubolts/steering arms and always had it written right next to it to make sure they didn't have to guess...

Will be interesting to see how you do on the Sky springs - I know Justin was blistering fast in the desert the last year I raced in '17, which possibly was the first or second year he was running those. I was last off the line for the day, but never saw him until Aftershock in lap 2. Passed him there, but only because his alternator went out and his co-driver was hiking out for another one:grinpimp:

I would argue that it SHOULD be mentioned, and the offending parties should start carrying spares:flipoff2:
I will definitely have a spare alternator in the truck for KOH. I was snooping around your truck at KOH this year looking for new ideas lol.
51470038198_ae9aa9ab73_b.jpg

Don’t forget the co-driver riding with the jump box in his lap.

We shouldn’t need to do that again.
51497423951_d24df5c9d6_b.jpg
51497653738_cb9c1cbff6_b.jpg
51498348525_d3c9f37f4d_b.jpg
51497423811_805f23f7df_b.jpg
It's not a jump box, it's a " chump box "....
:)

I see the tig skills are progressing nicely.

Remember to bag it, to keep the sand out..

Racetruck gettin better every day!!

I will definitely have a spare alternator in the truck for KOH. I was snooping around your truck at KOH this year looking for new ideas lol.
51470038198_ae9aa9ab73_b.jpg

Well I think everything I've done to it is documented on Pirate or Instagram...

I always had spare alternators out there with me, even if just out there 'wheeling not racing, but never carried an extra on the truck during the race. I did think it'd be a good idea at some point to make a mount like you made to carry an extra alt in or under the bed somewhere, and always thought it'd be a great idea to wrap it tight in pallet wrap plastic so it's all sealed up and clean if you ever need it, then just punch bolts through the mounting holes and bolt'r up:smokin:

Top Back Refresh