What's new

Project Siclone

57 watts. 57. watts. 0.95% of your actual output capability, assuming the amps aren't under-rated

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

The amps will do 4K.

I expect to see about 1,800-2,200 per sub at peak efficiency.

In theory every time you double power you increase by 3dB.

So…

114W = 143dB
228W = 146dB
456W = 149dB
912W = 152dB

But the above measurement was on music. When I test on tones it’ll measure higher. :laughing:

Last edited:
The amps will do 4K.

I expect to see about 1,800-2,200 per sub at peak efficiency.

In theory every time you double power you increase by 3dB.

So…

114W = 143dB
228W = 146dB
456W = 149dB
912W = 152dB

But the above measurement was on music. When I test on tones it’ll measure higher. :laughing:
That is going to be a very loud small car. :smokin:

OP, how is your hearing intact? Srsly.

Do these uber-systems work equally well at lower power, IOW listening while driving without ears bleedng?

OP, how is your hearing intact? Srsly.

Do these uber-systems work equally well at lower power, IOW listening while driving without ears bleedng?

I can't play this loudly while driving. The volume of air from the subs would destroy the rear hatch due to the IB opening below the amp wall. This thing will do hair trick in the front seats/windows AND at the rear hatch. :laughing:

This is designed to be a sound quality vehicle with the doors/hatch shut and windows up, but have great efficiency and be stupid loud with the rear hatch open and the front windows down.

The crazy thing is that I'm doing it at such low freqs it's like being in a windy massage chair.

Here's the Audi at full tilt with both front windows down. It measures "loud" but the sound is below your range of hearing. The song in this video is rebassed between 11 and 21Hz. You can have a conversation with it doing 147+dB and not have to yell.

This is both front windows down.

This is with only the near side window down.

Alright…a little frustration at my bone-headedness.

One amp’s output level somehow got changed when I pulled them out for mods (removed the master/slave switch on both amps) and put them back in. :homer:

I’m guessing it most likely happened while handling the board while it was out of the case.

So that amp had a lower output than the other and that happened to be the amp powering the sub that I clamped yesterday.

So the amps are now gain matched. Again. I should’ve checked them when I put them back in, but I was excited about finally having it going again.

Anyway, here’s a couple of quick tests today.

21Hz as a direct comparison to yesterday’s measurement and 16Hz because that’s where the Audi did 147.4dB on 960 Watts.

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

Made a 45" long dome light. This will be hidden from view in the abyss of black suede, but will illuminate the interior and the subs so they're easier to see in the darkness of this cabin.

_nc_ohc=PGe1n1fy9k4AX90We7K&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=3JhNBa8Pj-UAX8nWjlT&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=BZmqbSh1ZY0AX92aeEO&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Alright…a little frustration at my bone-headedness.

One amp’s output level somehow got changed when I pulled them out for mods (removed the master/slave switch on both amps) and put them back in. :homer:

I’m guessing it most likely happened while handling the board while it was out of the case.

So that amp had a lower output than the other and that happened to be the amp powering the sub that I clamped yesterday.

So the amps are now gain matched. Again. I should’ve checked them when I put them back in, but I was excited about finally having it going again.

Anyway, here’s a couple of quick tests today.

21Hz as a direct comparison to yesterday’s measurement and 16Hz because that’s where the Audi did 147.4dB on 960 Watts.

IMG_0387.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

You system is giving you the fanger.

More testing.

140 at 13Hz on 101 Watts.
_nc_ohc=b3TTt6dH-uIAX-Rmv_Y&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

140.3 at 12Hz on 175 Watts.
_nc_ohc=1AGOeF14ZJMAX-MUvh2&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

12hz is supposedly the lowest frequency a human can hear. After years of doing this, do you hear anything at 10hz (or lower) or are you really just feeling it?

12hz is supposedly the lowest frequency a human can hear. After years of doing this, do you hear anything at 10hz (or lower) or are you really just feeling it?

The crazy thing is that I'm doing it at such low freqs it's like being in a windy massage chair.

Here's the Audi at full tilt with both front windows down. It measures "loud" but the sound is below your range of hearing. The song in this video is rebassed between 11 and 21Hz. You can have a conversation with it doing 147+dB and not have to yell.

You’re feeling it.
Yeah, I was referring to you as individual, not "general humanity". I was more curious if years of tuning and doing this type of work has "extended" your hearing beyond "normal" human capacity.

I think of the Cirque du Soleil performers and their ability to do things "normal" humans cannot and was wondering if that might extend to our senses as well. It is known that when a person loses one of their primary senses (sight / hearing) their other senses become more sensitive (e.g., blind people's hearing and sense of smell get "better"). My thought was that as someone who spends a fair amount of time "listening" for specific nuances that your hearing might actually pick up notes (frequencies) that a "normal person" would not.

Yeah, I was referring to you as individual, not "general humanity". I was more curious if years of tuning and doing this type of work has "extended" your hearing beyond "normal" human capacity.

I think of the Cirque du Soleil performers and their ability to do things "normal" humans cannot and was wondering if that might extend to our senses as well. It is known that when a person loses one of their primary senses (sight / hearing) their other senses become more sensitive (e.g., blind people's hearing and sense of smell get "better"). My thought was that as someone who spends a fair amount of time "listening" for specific nuances that your hearing might actually pick up notes (frequencies) that a "normal person" would not.
I can only imagine PT running, screaming, from my house if he listened to my daily background music setup: 1980s ADS tuner and Toa amp/mixer (mono) into an ancient (prolly 1940s) wooden-cased wall-mounted speaker that came from a hospital nursing ward.

I think it's fine but then I also work at a shooting range.

You’re feeling it.

In a car I no longer have that had 15's I remember playing a sound wave file for the first time and hearing the frequency get lower and louder (or so it seemed) until I suddenly couldn't hear it anymore, but watched my dash and gauges start "jumping" more than I ever expected. I was a little worried something might have broken, but it didn't. I never understood people talking about this until I experienced it. It is pretty cool the first few times.

I think of the Cirque du Soleil performers and their ability to do things "normal" humans cannot and was wondering if that might extend to our senses as well. It is known that when a person loses one of their primary senses (sight / hearing) their other senses become more sensitive (e.g., blind people's hearing and sense of smell get "better"). My thought was that as someone who spends a fair amount of time "listening" for specific nuances that your hearing might actually pick up notes (frequencies) that a "normal person" would no

As much as it would be nice to say that my hearing range has somehow been extended higher or lower, that’s simply not true.

What you DO gain is the ability to be more discerning when listening.

Harman has a great bit of software to help/train you to listen for changes in what you’re hearing.

I had someone ask if it takes more power to play low frequencies.

This thing is designed to excel at low freqs (infrasonic range) so I made a video the other day showing how much power it takes for this thing to hit the same SPL level at frequencies from 25Hz down to 10Hz.

I still have it dialed down to about 140dB for now. I’ll get on it when the fab work is done. Once the fab work is done I should be seeing the same 140dB output on less power.

Should. :laughing: :homer:

I don’t know WTF I’m doing. :laughing:

Have been working on this a bit.

Definitely going to Slammin’ and Jammin’ September 2nd in Newport, TN if there are any of you East guys that want to see it and BS.

I have been building the “horn” for this thing and I need to get the block-off panels built. Efficiency will go up from the last video with those in place. :smokin:

Expecting to see 156dB or so at 15Hz in this turd. :homer:

I've built a few folded horns Bill Fitzmaurice.

I hear horns aren't like direct radiators and the power input doesn't scale like DR's.
It was even suggested that folded horns are displacement limited and there is a max power they are capable of taking.

Do you have any info on that?

I've built a few folded horns Bill Fitzmaurice.

I hear horns aren't like direct radiators and the power input doesn't scale like DR's.
It was even suggested that folded horns are displacement limited and there is a max power they are capable of taking.

Do you have any info on that?

This isn’t a folded horn.

Think of it as corner loading.

I’ve been using the term “horn” a lot. The quotes are intentional and for lack of a simpler description.

Same with “enclosure”. The enclosure is as simple as a folded baffle, but who’s going to understand that?

Last edited:
i'd like to hear more about this horn.. i thought you meant somethin under the dash.. but is it something else?

i hope it has nothing to do with train horns the people with diesels have fallin in love with.. lol

Top Back Refresh