What's new

Project Siclone

I found your inspiration :flipoff2:

1636568244920.png

This is gonna be so cool to see this. Thank you ProjectTwin for taking the time to keep us in the loop. Even though we add zero to your build.

Just guessing but it looks like you sent nick a bill and he is working it off by building some sweet ass subs!!!

You want to do the correct math for me to build some new sub boxes to use these 24”’s in my theater?? :flipoff2:

Me too!! Pics of your step up!!!
I don't have any good pics on the phone. Just imagine an 8' tall 54 cubic foot box with 2 drivers tuned to 12.4hz x2 :laughing: paired with fusion 12 tempest mains.:smokin: I'll find some pics when I get home later.

I don't have any good pics on the phone. Just imagine an 8' tall 54 cubic foot box with 2 drivers tuned to 12.4hz x2 :laughing: paired with fusion 12 tempest mains.:smokin: I'll find some pics when I get home later.
I put the 2 behind the screen in full Marty’s, and the two in the room in half Marty’s. Definitely gonna need pics. :flipoff2:

This is gonna be so cool to see this. Thank you ProjectTwin for taking the time to keep us in the loop. Even though we add zero to your build.

Just guessing but it looks like you sent nick a bill and he is working it off by building some sweet ass subs!!!

You want to do the correct math for me to build some new sub boxes to use these 24”’s in my theater?? :flipoff2:

Shoot, I enjoy it. I know guys on Pirate the other board enjoyed the random shit I was making. Figured I'd continue that here.

Nick knows he's going to get a shitload of publicity off of this. It's mutually beneficial. I get to build my one SPL vehicle and he gets tons of exposure.

Nick has enclosures in his house from someone that produces for the 24s.

X_gTgSx&tn=JHK5FbDrZwCnTaKX&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

Since this is a SPL rig, I rename thee PSIclone
That's pretty good.
No, PSI is an audio company name.

And SICLONE fits on a license plate. :homer:

Last edited:
subs for sure!

I will have to drive down and see this thing in person when you finish it.

There are quite a few shows throughout the year in TN. Bristol and such.

Could make a shorter trip and see it at one of them. Likely with the Audi since he's going to be competing with it next season.

Needs it's own logo.
1636574978645.png

My own pathetic 30 second version; maybe someone with some real skills can come up with real one. :laughing:

If I remember correctly, Ethnocentric is the name of the font he uses. I have it downloaded and used it to make license plate frames.

Last edited:
I may as well drop this on you guys first...

I've never built a dedicated SPL vehicle. With the work I've been doing with Stereo Integrity on the Audi and the responses we were getting during the build and, more recently, after taking to a "show", people are going nuts.

The entire time I was building that thing I was told (at damn near every point in the build) that "it's not going to work"

In regard to the sub:
"Not enough airspace"
"Big subs are slow and aren't accurate"
"The motor is going to drag the ground"
"It's going to pick up road debris"
and so on...

In regard to sound treatment:
Guys saw I was packing empty voids that I couldn't apply deadener to with mineral wool. "You can get the same effect with properly applied deadener"
When guys saw I was doing 100% coverage: "That's a waste. You can get the same effect with 25% coverage"

In regard to the 3-inch wideband drivers in the kick panels:
That's too low.
There's too much separation between the mid and tweet.
Female vocals will suffer.

In regard to the fab work:
"Those birdshit welds will never hold" They were seeing welds we intentionally built high so we could smooth them down after making three passes on the bottom of that 3/16" plate and three passes on top. :homer:

So yeah...this build.

I had a budget of less than $5,000 to get a daily driver that I could build. With the back messed up it sucks getting in/out of the Chevelle or El Camino.

I picked up a 2004 Scion xB. This is "special" release series vehicle. Has a "Hot Lava" color.
_nc_ohc=2NI9BpEmY5sAX97DeB5&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

This one is also on some BBS wheels with stretched tires and air ride because apparently THAT'S what I need. :homer:

I didn't really want the airbags, but the thing drives nice, has great power (as good as to be expected from these things, anyway), and has AC that works.

It had an old Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS from 2013 in it along with a small amp and JL 10W1 in a sealed enclosure. The sub didn't work. I put in a Stereo Integrity SQL-15 in a 1.25ft^3 sealed enclosure that I had sitting around. Sounds decent for a commuter

I just installed a Pioneer DMH-2600NEX in the thing. Nothing spectacular, but it has CarPlay and Android Auto and MUCH better phone calls than the old unit.

So I have some parts (steering wheel, clock spring, and cabling) here to swap the steering wheel so the thing has steering wheel controls for the radio.

The airbags are kind of a PITA. There's no way to know how the thing is sitting and no frame of reference for anything in the vehicle. There's a control pad, but no pressure gauges to tell you anything. Have to hit the switches and get out to take a look at the thing to see if it's right.

So...I guess I'll drop the audio plan here.

Four speakers will be in front of me.

There will be 8 custom built carbon fiber 24s behind me.

These 24s will have 38mm one way linear travel (that's 70% BL, or motor force). They have over 100mm peak-to-peak stroke.

The 24 that went into the Audi? 30mm one-way linear travel.

The 24s are rated at 2,000 Watts RMS. Since I'll be using a Sundown Audio SALT-12 to power the 8 24s, and since it'll make up to about 24,000-25,000 Watts when wired to 1/2 ohm, these 24s will be seeing about 3,000 watts each.

I know people are going to say that I can't package 8 24s in that little-ass xB.

I know they'll say that I don't have the airspace and so on...

I also know that 8 24s with 4 inches of stroke are going to move a shitload of air. It's going to be violently windy.

So the initials SI are commonly used to refer to Stereo Integrity and it's a common thing for SPL rigs to get names.

Since it's using SI subs and it's going to be a windy bastard, we're calling it Project Siclone. :homer:
Holy chit! I had a friend in high school that stuffed (4) 18’s into the back seat of a prelude. This thing will be nuts.

Do you have an estimate of how much SPL this will generate?

I missed this.

I joked at the meet this past weekend that if it has turn-on pop it should hit a 160. :laughing:

Honestly I have no idea what it'll do number-wise. I'm not building it to chase numbers - well, not yet anyway. I do know that if I don't reinforce the cabin I'm literally going to rip shit apart.

I HAVE talked to Nick about competing in SPL with it and how I could optimize in-car vs out of car scores in MECA competition. They measure SPL in-car at the head rest. You have 30 seconds to do your run. Those are simple burps. The other SPL class is called Park & Pound where they measure a 30-second average 6ft from the vehicle.

I'm building it to do something fun/absurd and, between this and the Audi, get SI a ton of publicity in both the SQ and SPL circles.

This will compete in both SQ and SPL competition in MECA. They have BOS (Best of Show) awards for both SQ and SPL. For vehicles that compete in both SQ and SPL they have a Best of Best of Show (BOBOS) award. That's the single best overall vehicle in competition. You get judged on sound quality, RTA (real time analyzer - measuring for a flat response from 20 Hz to 20 KHz), and install. In SPL they measure the in-car burp scores at the head rest and then SPL 6 ft from the vehicle for that 30-second average.

When the basshead community sees the build plan I expect the YouTube channel to blow up.

This is will be the single largest build out there in terms of cone area/excursion. And it'll be in a small fucking vehicle. :laughing:

I've had the build plan laid out in my head for months now. Measured another xB we have here and am positive I can stuff'm in the way I want but if that doesn't work I'll work on packing them into the car in a way that I minimize cabin space. That will raise SPL due to shrinking the chamber you're pressurizing.

Either way, they'll be dual opposed to eliminate vehicle vibration that would otherwise be induced due to the high amounts of moving mass. There's something like 3lbs of moving mass per sub, I think. Dual-opposed eliminates mechanical forces that would be imparted on the vehicle and you're left with sound and pressure.

They'll also be playing infinite baffle. :laughing: Going to dig DEEEEP.

So, yeah. Eight 24s with 100mm peak to peak stroke in a dual-opposed infinite baffle setup. :homer:

They'll also be playing infinite baffle. :laughing: Going to dig DEEEEP.

So, yeah. Eight 24s with 100mm peak to peak stroke in a dual-opposed infinite baffle setup. :homer:
Correct me if I’m wrong infinite baffle is cone is in the car and motor is on the outside? Just like the Audi?

Correct me if I’m wrong infinite baffle is cone is in the car and motor is on the outside? Just like the Audi?

Infinite baffle is one side of the driver vented/playing to the exterior of the vehicle and the other playing into the listening space.

I can put that baffle anywhere as long as I have one side vented/playing to the exterior of the vehicle and front wave/back wave separation between the cabin and the rest of the world like we have in the Audi.

When I first read the title, I read it as Project Silicon... just a guess.

Oh...OK. :homer:

I must be getting old . Right away I though he miss spelled syclone, and went fuck yeah awd turbo truck :homer:.

:laughing:

I must be getting old . Right away I though he miss spelled syclone, and went fuck yeah awd turbo truck :homer:.

Remember this thread?

This project idea has been brewing for a while now.

Initially I'll get the audio in the xB that's in the above picture, but I have another one here that can be used to sort out the subframe swap while I continue driving this one.

When that is sorted out it's a matter of swapping the subframes and having an LS-powered xB with 8 24s. :homer:

The LS-swapped Miata subframes going under this thing will likely take two years, but that's the end goal.

Last edited:
I may as well drop this on you guys first...

I've never built a dedicated SPL vehicle. With the work I've been doing with Stereo Integrity on the Audi and the responses we were getting during the build and, more recently, after taking to a "show", people are going nuts.

The entire time I was building that thing I was told (at damn near every point in the build) that "it's not going to work"

In regard to the sub:
"Not enough airspace"
"Big subs are slow and aren't accurate"
"The motor is going to drag the ground"
"It's going to pick up road debris"
and so on...

In regard to sound treatment:
Guys saw I was packing empty voids that I couldn't apply deadener to with mineral wool. "You can get the same effect with properly applied deadener"
When guys saw I was doing 100% coverage: "That's a waste. You can get the same effect with 25% coverage"

In regard to the 3-inch wideband drivers in the kick panels:
That's too low.
There's too much separation between the mid and tweet.
Female vocals will suffer.

In regard to the fab work:
"Those birdshit welds will never hold" They were seeing welds we intentionally built high so we could smooth them down after making three passes on the bottom of that 3/16" plate and three passes on top. :homer:
Got to ask yourself, are these naysayers going to be your competition? Seems to me doing something to make sure nothing will have an advese affect is a lot better than just doing the bare minimum.

Go big, or go home;

Remember this thread?

This project idea has been brewing for a while now.

Initially I'll get the audio in the xB that's in the above picture, but I have another one here that can be used to sort out the subframe swap while I continue driving this one.

When that is sorted out it's a matter of swapping the subframes and having an LS-powered xB with 8 24s. :homer:

The LS-swapped Miata subframes going under this thing will likely take two years, but that's the end goal.
good, I was hoping that idea didn't die.

Got to ask yourself, are these naysayers going to be your competition? Seems to me doing something to make sure nothing will have an advese affect is a lot better than just doing the bare minimum.

It's just kind of frustrating to post/share info and people always find something to bitch about.

good, I was hoping that idea didn't die.

It's not. It's just going to take a while to make it happen. Too many things happening and I can only do so much.

Turn the whole vehicle into a 6th order bandpass :idea:
In my head, that's what I'm imagining. Remove rearr seats, cut out entire floor from front seats to rear door, reinforce everything, build a panel of 2 walls and a new floor to separate the cone from the driver's, make it all swoopy and shit with pretty colors, replace windows with sheet metal and black paint.

Park in front of congress during budget negotiations :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh