What's new

Project LongFranks

New head unit. Now it’s backup camera ready. Fawk the previous owner that hacked the wiring! None of the colors are correct. 🤬

:tank:
F036657B-839A-4029-A196-6CC1D18DD0FC.jpeg

Attachments

• C2358A80-CA44-4816-B72B-7ECB3A493DC0.png
    C2358A80-CA44-4816-B72B-7ECB3A493DC0.png
    493.1 KB · Views: 17
I hate that PO radio wiring shenanigans!

What unit did you go with? I put a cheap touchscreen in mine but I hate it. Takes for ever to connect and is very sporadic in working. I can sometimes go to town and back before it starts my spotify.

Kenwood DMx 7706s. I bought it last year sometime and we finally got to it today. Bought it on Best Buy I think. Although I prefer Alpine, the buttons on this were easier for me to push on the bottom of the screen.
Not sure how I like this stereo. Maybe I am an old timer, but I’m not a huge fan of Apple CarPlay. I like to be able to do everything on the stereo and just throw my phone into the console. It seems like I have to do most things on the phone to make this work. (Such as enter an address for the GPS.)

Also, a couple times the screen has gone black. I have to fiddle around with the camera and home screen buttons to get it to come back. It doesn’t seem like a premium stereo.

That said that and crossover settings of very impressive. Still don’t know how to set a fm preset, though. 😆

Back up camera is great, I love having the ability to leave it on, so you can see people behind you on the trail.

I know what you mean. I'm not an iPhone guy so maybe it's that but my mom's JL is the same way with phone and I hate it.

My crappy $90 head unit and my android on other hand is totally opposite.

Really dig that basket mount, have it made or is that off the shelf?

The basket is kind of off the shelf. It is a Synergy Baja basket with a Synergy LJ bracket kit. when I bought the Jeep I checked the synergy page and the baskets were discontinued, but they still had brackets for the LJ. I was on Facebook marketplace one day and found a beat up basket. I had it stripped and powder coated to match and bought the brackets from Synergy.

I had this basket in my last jeep and still have one in my F100 and it makes it so much easier to carry camping gear. I was pretty disappointed that they were discontinued.

Last edited:
Sweet lookin flatty there too.

Where you thinking vapor lock issue is? Return or returnless system?

Wrap on lines near exhaust or in bay?

Well Jeep, in their infinite wisdom, put two catalytic converters right beneath the intake and about 6 inches from the fuel line and the fuel rail is probably 4 inches from the exhaust manifold.

If you do track it to the fuel rail I installed the DEI fuel rail wrap kit on my '06 with a little modification.

Sweet lookin flatty there too.

Where you thinking vapor lock issue is? Return or returnless system?

Wrap on lines near exhaust or in bay?

Flatty was rad. Aluminum tub, 44/60, linked front. He led the trail so I didn’t see him much

Returnless. It does it intermittently since I got it. We wrapped the fuel rails and fuel injectors with DEI stuff, because that was supposed to be the fix. Also installed new injectors at the same time. Anytime it’s over about 85. It starts to act up. I let it idle with most of the stops, and the others were the critical time where I could restart. Only at the gas station on the way home. It did it slow me down about 10 minutes.

Last edited:
I should probably look under the jeep and see if there’s insulation on the factory fuel line up to the manifold. My 98 had some but I have no idea on this vehicle.

use time WARP instead of lapse.
Time lapse is camera sitting still.
Time warp is Camera moving.
I just learned the difference today too.

I usually just use my phone to record the videos in sections then piece them together on a computer. I might try time warp now too because of your video.

I was just posting in another thread about getting back out there more to explore the trails. I’ve been boating there for like 15 years or something but only wheeled there once last year.

Also looks like you went today or yesterday, I saw the forecast randomly said rain yesterday

I was just posting in another thread about getting back out there more to explore the trails. I’ve been boating there for like 15 years or something but only wheeled there once last year.

Also looks like you went today or yesterday, I saw the forecast randomly said rain yesterday
Hit Red Lake Sat and Bald sunday

I should probably look under the jeep and see if there’s insulation on the factory fuel line up to the manifold. My 98 had some but I have no idea on this vehicle.
Hood vents

Made a video on Red Lakes. Not sure I like the time lapse. It makes the trail look easy and boring. Might go back to conventional tomorrow. Thoughts?

Top Back Refresh