What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

Cool videos. 2nd video brings back a few memories.

I had a "part time" night job removing, hardfacing and reinstalling jaws in a crusher at a concrete & construction material recycling plant when I was a teenager. Me and another guy would go in when they shut down and would pull the beat up jaws, install refaced ones, and then spend the next few nights in the shop welding up the beat ones. Repeat every 3 days. Can't say I miss that job......At all!:laughing:

What kind of deal was that? I’m in hard abrasive rock land and I get 1.5 years on a set of jaw dies. I get a flip out of them. You can see in my second video the swing jaw is new and the fixed jaw has been flipped and trying to burn.the remainder off. The again the jaw dies weigh over 4,000 lbs a side.

I need to come work for you for a couple of weeks. :laughing:

Lol when it’s running good it’s pretty boring. All you do is toss 2-300 buckets in and watch them come out the other end. The loader I’m running is a beast. The video doesn’t do it justice. It does not look like she has a 10yd bucket on the old girl. The big bucket and heavy machine makes for a nice lazy day

Cool videos. That seems like a very dusty and abrasive environment. What's the maintenance schedule look like for bearings and all the parts that move?

Cool videos. That seems like a very dusty and abrasive environment. What's the maintenance schedule look like for bearings and all the parts that move?

It honestly Has a pretty good lifespan for what they do. On thing plant we lose maybe one bearing a month at most. It’s sad that if a bearing is bad and it’s not spinning on the shaft I run them till the balls fall out. Then give it a few pumps of grease every hour to make the rest of the day. It’s much easier to swap them out with no balls.

The Dodge gearboxes do ok in the dust. I have upgraded all of the on jaw and cone plant to have the taconite auxiliary seals and a breather less breather. All the seals kits are are a ring you bolt on on the outside the rubber seals. What this does is allow you to pump grease between seal and shaft making a dust seal. Seals last forever once you do this. The last step is the high dollar sealed breather. This is a ballon in a can. It allows the air in box to expand but not get moisture in. It’s a $600 a box upgrade but worth every penny as they will go forever this way in a super dusty environment.

That poor cone engine is a champ. She has been screaming in that dust at 1450rpm since 1996. As long as you keep a eye on the air cleaner and change oil regularly it does not bother. The guards around the fan are all sand blasted to bear metal. Had to replace the fan last winter as it was getting super thin.

My biggest mantainence item is something you wouldn’t even think about. The dust is super hard on all the v belt pulley sheaves. They are 1800rpm sanders in the dust. They slowly lose their bite until one day it decides to stop grabbing and it destroys the valets and you get to power shovel for a hour.

Kind long winded

The Dodge gearboxes do ok in the dust. I have upgraded all of the on jaw and cone plant to have the taconite auxiliary seals and a breather less breather. All the seals kits are are a ring you bolt on on the outside the rubber seals. What this does is allow you to pump grease between seal and shaft making a dust seal. Seals last forever once you do this. The last step is the high dollar sealed breather. This is a ballon in a can. It allows the air in box to expand but not get moisture in. It’s a $600 a box upgrade but worth every penny as they will go forever this way in a super dusty environment.

Are they the inline or TXT style boxes? My old employer was a competitor to Dodge and we replaced a shitload of those things at wastewater and material handling plants, I don't owe them anything (as I said, 'old' employer :laughing: ) but if you've got some pictures I can see if I've got any documentation on the fixes we did for stuff, nothing you wouldn't be able to handle. We also had Boston Gear under our umbrella and that bladder breather thing was something we developed for the food & pharmaceutical industry initially where you couldn't have any oil contamination in the product...the ingress contamination bit was secondary as the breathers were all spring-loaded and intended to prevent oil from being expelled, not to keep other shit from being sucked in, but we found some good ways to implement that as a secondary benefit. My preference (and what my division always did) was to design the gearboxes to have enough internal volume and lube efficiency that gimmicky breathers and expansion chambers weren't necessary.

The cost on that thing is like $20 :laughing:, I'm sure you know that though, but that's the whole point of value-added sales....

I appreciate the feedback. I would imagine anything that moves is subject to sanding in that environment. Can you repair a belt like the one that got split down the middle? It has to be cheaper but may take too long to be worth it?

AB9DB04C-E241-4ACB-AF78-552E851DE525.png
035B1FA6-E85D-4326-82CB-2B09C77781D1.png
Are they the inline or TXT style boxes? My old employer was a competitor to Dodge and we replaced a shitload of those things at wastewater and material handling plants, I don't owe them anything (as I said, 'old' employer :laughing: ) but if you've got some pictures I can see if I've got any documentation on the fixes we did for stuff, nothing you wouldn't be able to handle. We also had Boston Gear under our umbrella and that bladder breather thing was something we developed for the food & pharmaceutical industry initially where you couldn't have any oil contamination in the product...the ingress contamination bit was secondary as the breathers were all spring-loaded and intended to prevent oil from being expelled, not to keep other shit from being sucked in, but we found some good ways to implement that as a secondary benefit. My preference (and what my division always did) was to design the gearboxes to have enough internal volume and lube efficiency that gimmicky breathers and expansion chambers weren't necessary.

The cost on that thing is like $20 :laughing:, I'm sure you know that though, but that's the whole point of value-added sales....

I use all the txt series gearboxes. They are not the best but it’s what every one uses so it’s what I have.

The breather thing is actually a super important part for my crushing equipment. It’s crazy how little it takes to plug up a the standard $.20 ones that come with the box. As soon as they plug it starts pushing oil out the seals then to dust gets in that oil and bingo seal is destroyed.

The pics are of the standard mesh breather and the one on the bottom is the ones I use. I just get a sore ass from the 180 they get for that stupid thing. They also work really good on the boxes that get folded over for transport. They do not leak oil when upside down.

It was msha day yesterday. He came out and inspected my wash plant and my big portable.

washplant did good only got one ticket for not having a stretcher on site. He gave a bunch of suggestions to fix so the next guy doesn’t hammer me.

the portable got three tickets ;(. The plant itself did not get a fine it was all mobile equipment issues. My skidsteer backup alarm worked but it was not loud enough. My service truck parking brake would not hold on the ramp. My 350l one of the rubber straps for one step was tore. All bullshit tickets but I was not around for this inspection. Usually I can talk my way out of one or two but it is was it is.

Ford fucked up with the f550’s by putting that small in rotor drum parking brake. Those things blow ass and if they are not brand new have a hard time holding a full service truck on a pretty decent grade. I’m contemplating putting in a fucking line lock and using that as a parking brake. Lots of stuff to fix before he stops out next week to double check them.

each ticket should be $112. ;(.

None of the super duty E-brakes work for shit. Put one of the driveshaft mounted brakes on it. I don't think a line lock is legal, parking brakes are supposed to be mechanical. But I've had a few rentals with electric parking brakes so not sure how that is legal.

What kind of deal was that? I’m in hard abrasive rock land and I get 1.5 years on a set of jaw dies. I get a flip out of them. You can see in my second video the swing jaw is new and the fixed jaw has been flipped and trying to burn.the remainder off. The again the jaw dies weigh over 4,000 lbs a side.

Calling it a crusher was the wrong term. It was a huge horizontal grinder from the early 80's, maybe older. The machine had rollers in it covered with bolt on teeth that grabbed whatever you dumped in and pulverized the fuck out of it. It also beat the fuck out of the teeth. The company i was working for decided it was cheaper to hard face the spent teeth than it was to buy new ones, so they hired us to do the work at night. I think hard facing the old teeth was just a way for them to be cheap asses. Brand new teeth made out of super hard whatever they were lasted alot longer than our hard faced teeth but the only time we were allowed to install new teeth was when the old ones were broken beyond repair.

This is what the teeth looked like.....
Click image for larger version  Name:	Aggressive-Tooling-withRails.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.8 KB ID:	29866

Last edited:
I just stumbled uppon this. I love seeing how other pleople do things. I just started on the mill maintenance crew at a gold mine in Alaska.

Is there anyway to put a magnet on your setup? We have one after the jaw and before the shaker and another after the shaker before the oversize heads to the cone. The primary magnet is a magnet belt and pulls out a lot of crap.

We are flipping and replacing our jaw dies a lot more than once a year and are a pretty low tonage operation for a major mine.

None of the super duty E-brakes work for shit. Put one of the driveshaft mounted brakes on it. I don't think a line lock is legal, parking brakes are supposed to be mechanical. But I've had a few rentals with electric parking brakes so not sure how that is legal.

My service trucks are a 2000 f550 with the manual transmission. You have a link or a part number for the tranny mounted parking brake? I would put that on in a heartbeat.

I just stumbled uppon this. I love seeing how other pleople do things. I just started on the mill maintenance crew at a gold mine in Alaska.

Is there anyway to put a magnet on your setup? We have one after the jaw and before the shaker and another after the shaker before the oversize heads to the cone. The primary magnet is a magnet belt and pulls out a lot of crap.

We are flipping and replacing our jaw dies a lot more than once a year and are a pretty low tonage operation for a major mine.

Yeah I have stationary magnets hanging on my cones. Those things are life savers for when you loose a tooth. We work in so many pits that are not owned by me that every bucket is a damn gamble when tossing it in the machines. Just this week i broke a tooth off my 115 and the magnet grabbed it before any damage occurred. :smokin:

when we do recycle I take the bar magnets off and toss a huge self cleaning electro magnet before the cone and a self cleaning permanent magnet after the cone to pick out the wire. This setup works great. Could use one more on the final product to pick out the ones that get through but that’s another 15k and then need to figure out how to hang it.

My service trucks are a 2000 f550 with the manual transmission. You have a link or a part number for the tranny mounted parking brake? I would put that on in a heartbeat.

https://www.allstategear.com/Rebuilt...ake-s/1929.htm

Google is hard :flipoff2:

I pulled one off a ~1996 10 pax short bus. It basically bolts on to the output shaft like a t-case. Looks pretty simple.

edit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-6C...-/332386150161

ebay link. Do your 550's have the ZF-6 or something more beefier?

https://www.allstategear.com/Rebuilt...ake-s/1929.htm

Google is hard :flipoff2:

I pulled one off a ~1996 10 pax short bus. It basically bolts on to the output shaft like a t-case. Looks pretty simple.

edit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-OEM-6C...-/332386150161

ebay link. Do your 550's have the ZF-6 or something more beefier?

They have the standard zf trans. They are 4wd though. I did the same googling as you. Wasn’t sure what would fit. Figured one of you guys would be able to recite the part number from memory. Maybe I’ll start a thread in the drivetrain forum and someone can chime in.

Yeah, mine is 2X which is why it doesn't have one the factory ones on it. Working on making one that will work in conjunction with the axle brakes. I have to carry a wheel chock with me when towing, can't trust that stupid brake on level ground.

They have the standard zf trans. They are 4wd though. I did the same googling as you. Wasn’t sure what would fit. Figured one of you guys would be able to recite the part number from memory. Maybe I’ll start a thread in the drivetrain forum and someone can chime in.

4WD complicates things, though there may be an option kinda like a divorced xfer case.

Hmmmm. Not seeing anything with my google foo. Might have to call a dealer.

i had ma 01 f550 4wd with a zf service truck..its park brake always sucked. Not only that you had to drop the rear axle to tighten the ebrake

i had ma 01 f550 4wd with a zf service truck..its park brake always sucked. Not only that you had to drop the rear axle to tighten the ebrake

I got a special bent flat screwdriver that I can snake up there and tighten it. It’s bs spot they put it.

I got a special bent flat screwdriver that I can snake up there and tighten it. It’s bs spot they put it.

i had the dana 110 i believe... the spring pack was like flat against that opening...i have brake spoons and shit LOL

1F78043C-4FAB-411F-B916-A353A9FE4D9E.jpeg

Thinking about buying a new service truck. 2013 f550 gas 2wd with a imt 3820 crane on back. 165k miles for $9500. One of the cheapest service trucks with cranes on it I have seen in a while.

What happened to the service space shuttle van? Last I remembered from the old thread someone got it stuck...

We’re not as big as Granite or Vulcan, but we’ve been around since 1887. Current mine has been in operation since 1965. I think it was 98 or 99 we were in the top 10 aggregate producers in the nation with over 3.5 million tons in that year.

Sometimes I miss playing in the rocks. Spent 4 years with Vulcan in TX. Dad retired from Vulcan and little brother is with them in GA.

Sure is impressive to see what a 992 and 3 777s move in a day. Was fun that we got to blast at least once a week.

I manage a piece of property that has quite a few rock pits on it. We use about 40,000 cubic yards a year on road building/road maintenance. We have a contractor that has a mobile crushing setup that crushes all the crushed rock we use. We hire a drilling/blasting contractor. They have a pretty cool instagram page, they take drone video of a lot of their blasts. https://www.instagram.com/mccallumrockdrilling/

This is a few of our best rock pit. Its a hard, black basalt rock. Blasts into a beautiful pit run product and crushes up real nice. We mostly make 4" minus and 1 1/2" minus.

50044379696_382535869e_c.jpg

50043826033_f0b1192d97_c.jpg

Cool thread. I work for a precaster up here in the PNW so ag is pretty important to us:laughing: We looked into buying our own pit recently, but the property tested out with too much shit we wouldnt use or would be a hard sell.

How'd I miss this the first time, subbed for future HE and Rock Fuckery. :grinpimp::grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh