What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

where do I send my resume? I have experience with a dilapidated track loader, manual grease guns because I'm not lazy, but I am poor, plus I'm always down for vehicular shenanigans.

any of your finished product sitting at the place south of Rothschild?

What place in Rothschild you talking about? I supply some sand and stone to the precast guys in Rothschild.

you would have to move a little closer to town. We usually work 11-12 hour days in the summer. 2-3 additional hours driving home would be miserable. I just hired two greenhorns. I’m now looking for a dump truck driver a entry level job manning the scale and possibly a crusher foreman.

ThePanzerFuhrer said:
What place in Rothschild you talking about? I supply some sand and stone to the precast guys in Rothschild.

you would have to move a little closer to town. We usually work 11-12 hour days in the summer. 2-3 additional hours driving home would be miserable. I just hired two greenhorns. I’m now looking for a dump truck driver a entry level job manning the scale and possibly a crusher foreman.

It's on the west side of 39/51, American something maybe.

I know where I can find a pop up camper, you could have your very own mcpewpew, except I'm not a totally useless tard. Most days anyway.

It's on the west side of 39/51, American something maybe.

I know where I can find a pop up camper, you could have your very own mcpewpew, except I'm not a totally useless tard. Most days anyway.

Just move some pickle buckets and you will have enough room for a 3 bed/2 bath setup. :flipoff2:

Just move some pickle buckets and you will have enough room for a 3 bed/2 bath setup. :flipoff2:

Prolly have enough pickle buckets to build a 3 bed 2 bath house lol. You guys have a collective memory that cannot be bear haha

You do what I do, only I do it for someone else. 27 years in and 2 to go. Once I hit the road with the truck camper I should come visit. With beer of course.

You do what I do, only I do it for someone else. 27 years in and 2 to go. Once I hit the road with the truck camper I should come visit. With beer of course.

More than welcome to came out and run a spread for a summer lol!

what do you run? What do you make?

More than welcome to came out and run a spread for a summer lol!

what do you run? What do you make?

I work in an open pit aggregate mine here in Sacramento. We’re not as big as Granite or Vulcan, but we’ve been around since 1887. Current mine has been in operation since 1965. I think it was 98 or 99 we were in the top 10 aggregate producers in the nation with over 3.5 million tons in that year.

We make about 30 different products. Con sand, #2 sand, all sizes MA, CA, road base, permeable base, recycle base, conventional asphalt, rubberized asphalt, 5/16 chips, pea gravel, etc., and whatever recipe you can come up with.

I started when I was 28 and was willing to learn everything I could. Worked all 3 shifts from repairs in the field in a service truck, to screens, conveyors, and crushers at the plant and ran the plant. If it’s yellow I can run it. If it’s metal I can weld it. Pretty much everything you could learn in 27 years.

When I retire here shortly the plan is to spend my time traveling the country in a truck camper and relax. Alaska, Arctic Circle, all the states, etc. The very LAST thing I would want to do is to get involved with more work! :flipoff2: but it would be cool to see your operation.

I work in an open pit aggregate mine here in Sacramento. We’re not as big as Granite or Vulcan, but we’ve been around since 1887. Current mine has been in operation since 1965. I think it was 98 or 99 we were in the top 10 aggregate producers in the nation with over 3.5 million tons in that year.

We make about 30 different products. Con sand, #2 sand, all sizes MA, CA, road base, permeable base, recycle base, conventional asphalt, rubberized asphalt, 5/16 chips, pea gravel, etc., and whatever recipe you can come up with.

I started when I was 28 and was willing to learn everything I could. Worked all 3 shifts from repairs in the field in a service truck, to screens, conveyors, and crushers at the plant and ran the plant. If it’s yellow I can run it. If it’s metal I can weld it. Pretty much everything you could learn in 27 years.

When I retire here shortly the plan is to spend my time traveling the country in a truck camper and relax. Alaska, Arctic Circle, all the states, etc. The very LAST thing I would want to do is to get involved with more work! :flipoff2: but it would be cool to see your operation.

Im a completely different type of operation. 400,000 ton a year making what ever you want where ever you want. I’m a hoe of the crushing world lol. Everything I have is on wheels an can be configured about 1000 different ways to make what you want. Its cool we can pack up in the morning call the trucks move everything and be back up running in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Im a completely different type of operation. 400,000 ton a year making what ever you want where ever you want. I’m a hoe of the crushing world lol. Everything I have is one wheels an can be configured about 1000 different ways to make what you want.

Can you configure it in a way that you will finally finish the damn boat? :flipoff2:

C51ADBB4-3EEB-4590-AD10-444F264C3B77.jpeg
0F310755-CCB4-46F2-BD4C-288A21CF8754.jpeg
Drill showed up today and started punching holes. I did not get to talk to the operator before he took off for the day. Judging by what he got done we should be shooting next week wed or Thursday.

It looks like the driller got a new rig :smokin:

4DF28F9A-752A-4867-9228-A786C71C1363.jpeg
F6C39A11-A5FD-493B-9090-F13B8BBED217.jpeg

Today was the big show. I wasn’t around as I had to keep a plant running. Looks like everything went off without a hitch. I put my dad in charge today lol. The rock softened up the further you moved from the face. This is ok as it is the furthest in that direction we plan on going in the next decade or two.

Here are some aftermath pics. There are oversize in it just because the surface rock has tons of cracks in it and the only load to 7’ from the top. They just get lifted not broken.

I just picked up a new to me 100,000# excavator that has a ideco hd10000 hammer on it :). I bought the excavator and the hammer came with it. It works great! Pictures

What do you do with the burnt up drilling bits?

The driller resharpens them. That is as long as he doesn’t run it too long. Running them too long creates to large of a flat spot on the carbide that cannot be reground to a good working shape. He can resharpen them 3-4 times before he tosses them out.

We have a pile of burnt bits. I actually got my first real ticket for making one a hitch cover out of one. Moral of my story is rednecks will buy dumb shit to bolt to their trucks.

We have a pile of burnt bits. I actually got my first real ticket for making one a hitch cover out of one. Moral of my story is rednecks will buy dumb shit to bolt to their trucks.

Lol you should weld two together so they can hang the down like truck nuts. It amazes me on the dumb shit people will buy. Keep up the good work separating stupid people from their cash.

Definitely digging this thread, please keep it up :beer:

Is that snake oil still keeping your fuel asphaltene-free?

Definitely digging this thread, please keep it up :beer:

Is that snake oil still keeping your fuel asphaltene-free?

Yes it really works!! Since the cleaning dose on the genset I have only changed the fuel filters once!!! Without it, they would have gotten changed 4-5 times. I bought a 55 gallon drum of it and the fuel guy doses all my fuel clear and red at a 1 gallon per 1000 ratio. I’m a firm believer!!!

Yes it really works!! Since the cleaning dose on the genset I have only changed the fuel filters once!!! Without it, they would have gotten changed 4-5 times. I bought a 55 gallon drum of it and the fuel guy doses all my fuel clear and red at a 1 gallon per 1000 ratio. I’m a firm believer!!!

If this is the nasty black shit that grows in diesel what is the name of the snake oil?

If this is the nasty black shit that grows in diesel what is the name of the snake oil?

It treats the asphaltene production in the new fuel. Old engines are prone to this occurring. The n14, 3406 type engines return a shit ton of fuel to the tank. When the fuel goes through the fuel pump it gets heated then dropped back into a cold fuel tank. This shock causes asphalt particles to drop out of suspension. Easy way to tell if you have a asphaltene problem is to cut a fuel filter open. If your fuel filter is slimy and smells like shit you have Algea problem. If your filter is black does not smell, and when you touch the element your fingers get covered in what looks like black engine oil you have a asphaltene problem.

I use the primrose 5007 Power Klenz in the summer and the 5757 winter Klenz in the winter. Very happy with it!! It is $46 a gallon but IMO is worth every penny. It saves me a ton of downtime,

Last edited:
It treats the asphaltene production in the new fuel. Old engines are prone to this occurring. The n14, 3406 type engines return a shit ton of fuel to the tank. When the fuel goes through the fuel pump it gets heated then dropped back into a cold fuel tank. This shock causes asphalt particles to drop out of suspension. Easy way to tell if you have a asphaltene problem is to cut a fuel filter open. If your fuel filter is slimy and smells like shit you have Algea problem. If your filter is black does not smell, and when you touch the element your fingers get covered in what looks like black engine oil you have a asphaltene problem.

I use the primrose 5007 Power Klenz. Very happy with it!!

Thanks we have a generator with that shit growing in it.

Thanks we have a generator with that shit growing in it.

It doesn’t grow it precipitates out. To clean it up you need to dump a 1 to 200 dose. The secret is to add the power Klenz when you get below a half tank and then fuel it up with fresh fuel. The additive needs fresh fuel to dissolve the asphaltenes into. I did the cleaning dose twice then just started doseing my main fuel tanks at a 1:1000 ratio to keep it from happening again. My whole fleet is running better!

It doesn’t grow it precipitates out. To clean it up you need to dump a 1 to 200 dose. The secret is to add the power Klenz when you get below a half tank and then fuel it up with fresh fuel. The additive needs fresh fuel to dissolve the asphaltenes into. I did the cleaning dose twice then just started doseing my main fuel tanks at a 1:1000 ratio to keep it from happening again. My whole fleet is running better!

So we drained the 'good' diesel into a barrel and scrapped the tank so if I was going to use the 'good' diesel should I mix it with fresh diesel and the cleaner ? Plan would be 5 gallons of contaminated diesel in machine plus treatment or contaminated diesel plus treatment in machine with fresh diesel.

So we drained the 'good' diesel into a barrel and scrapped the tank so if I was going to use the 'good' diesel should I mix it with fresh diesel and the cleaner ? Plan would be 5 gallons of contaminated diesel in machine plus treatment or contaminated diesel plus treatment in machine with fresh diesel.

Yes you need fresh fuel for the additive to work.

I'm acquainted with a long time excavating company owner and I'm friends with several of his life long professional operators, and they all have plenty of seat time on a hoe with a hammer, and EVERY SINGLE one of them has told me at some point and I quote
"NEVER OWN A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT OF ANY SIZE WITH A HAMMER OR BREAKER ON IT, that is a rent/short term lease item only".
Apparently that applies ESPECIALLY, if you use it frequently, as those machines rattle themselves to pieces as they age and eventually become maintenance nightmares.
I'm inclined to believe them as most of them have been with that same company from it's tiny beginning to growing and becoming a sizeable (non-union) player in our area, especially for municipal/civil work and lots of other general excavating work. So these guys have been around and have gone from owning, operating and maintaining old equipment, to a constantly evolving fleet as most all of the heavy equipment is leased and have maintenance agreements on all of them.

Also, one of the guys seemed to believe the only caveat to that buying rule were, was the super specialized stuff like underground mining equipment, the largest of the large open pit equipment, etc, because a lot of that is so super specialized and or expensive up front that it'll be used up completely by the time it's retired and essentially sold for scrap.

So what's your take on that as an owner/operator or is this gonna be your first rodeo with owning/running/maintaining your own excavator with a hammer on it.

97B33CB1-7BDF-4F10-8DF7-38E178196280.jpeg
I'm acquainted with a long time excavating company owner and I'm friends with several of his life long professional operators, and they all have plenty of seat time on a hoe with a hammer, and EVERY SINGLE one of them has told me at some point and I quote
"NEVER OWN A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT OF ANY SIZE WITH A HAMMER OR BREAKER ON IT, that is a rent/short term lease item only".
Apparently that applies ESPECIALLY, if you use it frequently, as those machines rattle themselves to pieces as they age and eventually become maintenance nightmares.
I'm inclined to believe them as most of them have been with that same company from it's tiny beginning to growing and becoming a sizeable (non-union) player in our area, especially for municipal/civil work and lots of other general excavating work. So these guys have been around and have gone from owning, operating and maintaining old equipment, to a constantly evolving fleet as most all of the heavy equipment is leased and have maintenance agreements on all of them.

Also, one of the guys seemed to believe the only caveat to that buying rule were, was the super specialized stuff like underground mining equipment, the largest of the large open pit equipment, etc, because a lot of that is so super specialized and or expensive up front that it'll be used up completely by the time it's retired and essentially sold for scrap.

So what's your take on that as an owner/operator or is this gonna be your first rodeo with owning/running/maintaining your own excavator with a hammer on it.

I am of a completely different mindset. I do not lease the newest shit I do not want to own the newest shit. I want shit that is paid for can sit there and I don’t owe anything on it. Every day it’s working for me it makes me cold hard cash. Sure some days you pop a hose have some down time but that is to be expected. I own 2 crushing spreads a washplant spread and a screenplant Spread. I have more iron than even I realize. It’s crazy it hardly fits in the yard when we bring it home for the winter.

You could not make money if you leased a new crushing spread like I have. It would cost about 60-70,000 a month to rent the big iron. Then you would still have misc conveyors and shit you would need to have. And you would still do the same tonnage per hour as I do now ;(. Crushers are different breed of animals and the people that own them are definitely strange. Average joe would look at my stuff and call it junk, me I call it almost perfect. I have 10-15 years of perfecting the issues on my machines. Every winter we are not afraid to cut shit apart and fix the issues that caused us down time over the summer.

I own 4 hyd hammers. They are all on end of life excavators. I buy them cheap use them up then buy different ones. Shit my little 312b I tried finding he bucket for it and I cannot find it. It has had the hammer on it for last 5-6 years lol. I don’t hardly ever even use the hammer hydraulics anymore. It’s the perfect size to poke a big one that gets stuck in the jaw. That thing has saved more down time and has paid for it self 100 times over.

Lastly all my operators can handle used equipment. I don’t hire any retards, or have union premadonnas running around who can only operate brand new equipment. It’s funny every now and again a salesman will drop a new loader off for us to try. My guys will use it for a while but before the days out be back in my old stuff.

Here is a picture of the new hoe. A 9060b case with 10k hours. I paid $27,000 for it and it weighs 100,000#. Its the perfect machine for me. Big cheap runs great and is a stupid machine. The engine is a standard m11 it does not have much in the way of computers on it to where if I need it to run wire the throttle open and away you go.

Im sure someday when I have to move up to the stupid def equipment I’ll be in the lease it crowd but until then I’ll enjoy running payment free junk.

Cool videos. 2nd video brings back a few memories.

I had a "part time" night job removing, hardfacing and reinstalling jaws in a crusher at a concrete & construction material recycling plant when I was a teenager. Me and another guy would go in when they shut down and would pull the beat up jaws, install refaced ones, and then spend the next few nights in the shop welding up the beat ones. Repeat every 3 days. Can't say I miss that job......At all!:laughing:

Top Back Refresh