What's new

Musk and Twitter

10k per shift. Leaving work every day would be like leaving a college football game or concert. Dayum.

:eek:
Hanford is down to basically just day shift, 4 10s at that and the vast majority of the 13k workers get off within an hour of each other. The stagger helps but the traffic is still fully fucked for 2 hours every afternoon.

Fuck what yall say, thing is pimp.
20240504_074031.jpg

Electric cars made some sense, especially for urban commuters.

Electric trucks? For towing shit? In something that looks like a 2nd grade free time drawing?

I won't be spending money on one. I have seen 1 out in the wild. In the part of the city where people are financed up to their eyeballs to keep up with their neighbors.

But I'm also a recent convert to electric weedeaters....so maybe there's hope for me yet.

These cars are constantly connected to ther innerwebs, right?

Electric cars made some sense, especially for urban commuters.

Electric trucks? For towing shit? In something that looks like a 2nd grade free time drawing?

I won't be spending money on one. I have seen 1 out in the wild. In the part of the city where people are financed up to their eyeballs to keep up with their neighbors.

But I'm also a recent convert to electric weedeaters....so maybe there's hope for me yet.

These cars are constantly connected to ther innerwebs, right?
I saw a Rivian truck yesterday with a contractor rack and a bunch of ladders on it. Contractors name painted on the side. I guess they’re turning them into work trucks.

I saw a Rivian truck yesterday with a contractor rack and a bunch of ladders on it. Contractors name painted on the side. I guess they’re turning them into work trucks.
More power to them.

I'm still burning a lotta gas at 10mpg.

I can continue to burn a lotta gas through 250k miles.

Can the rivian make it that far without replacing the battery pack? Guess we'll see.

More power to them.

I'm still burning a lotta gas at 10mpg.

I can continue to burn a lotta gas through 250k miles.

Can the rivian make it that far without replacing the battery pack? Guess we'll see.
Climate and time are a bigger problem than cycles/miles for the EV

Still have yet to see one. One of my students is looking to buy one. (He has money to burn) I think they could look alright with a few changes. I guess we’ll have to wait til the “angry grill” guys get through with them.

Who is gonna be the first guy to cut the abortion of a body off one of those and drop a square body on it :lmao: Probably be easier to just build a new frame to use the running gear, stupid unibody bullshit.
Would be easier to put a Tesla driveline into a square body and hack in whatever special features the truck has versus the S or the X. One of the NAXJA guys may have done this with a Cherokee if I am remembering correctly

I’m glad people are buying them and financing further r&d by the manufacturers.
More power to them.

Just don’t try to foist one off on me.

Would be easier to put a Tesla driveline into a square body and hack in whatever special features the truck has versus the S or the X. One of the NAXJA guys may have done this with a Cherokee if I am remembering correctly

The front and rear unitized powertrain & suspension is pretty neat like that.

That concept car GM had in the 90s. It was a skateboard with different bodies you could put on top. But Hub motors are heavy.

They are rolling out by the truck loads at the plant, they're coming.

Stupid fuckin truck and I hope it doesn't kill my investment in to the company...

I had a good argument with my brother that there is zero reason to mechachnically disconnect the steering wheel from the tires, he stated it was so the vehicle could "automatically" align it's self and never need service, I called bullshit on that.

So to recap it's a completely computer controlled vehicle that you can't even manually steer, no thanks at this time.

They are rolling out by the truck loads at the plant, they're coming.

Stupid fuckin truck and I hope it doesn't kill my investment in to the company...

I had a good argument with my brother that there is zero reason to mechachnically disconnect the steering wheel from the tires, he stated it was so the vehicle could "automatically" align it's self and never need service, I called bullshit on that.

So to recap it's a completely computer controlled vehicle that you can't even manually steer, no thanks at this time.
So if one of many modules or the battery shit the bed, you can't steer? Amazing. Electrict assist rack and pinion is common tech...

I see them all over now. I don't get it. would not want one. i have not seen one doing any work yet either.

Cybertruck is a strange one. It seems to have generated enough hype that they will sell plenty, and at least it's not all that far off from other current electric trucks performance wise so not only relying on the hype to compete with others.

The fly by wire steering is interesting too. Someone's gotta be the first, but I agree it makes me less comfortable as of now. They do have full double redundancy on the steering rack with two motors, controllers, etc in case one system fails, but still makes me wary. But planes have been doing it for decades so it's not unprecedented for peoples lives to rely on fly by wire stuff.

As far as why they are doing it, the first aspect is variable steering ratio. From what I've gathered it has like 1.25 turns lock to lock. At low speed it will hit the max available range, then as you go faster and faster, it only allows you less and less tire angle for the same steering throw. But I also think they're getting the hardware dialed in for the robotaxi that's coming sooner or later. The FSD software is catching up quick, and while I see steering wheels for the forseeable future, they're putting everything in place for a steering wheel not to be needed any more

Last edited:
Cybertruck is a strange one. It seems to have generated enough hype that they will sell plenty, and at least it's not all that far off from other current electric trucks performance wise so not only relying on the hype to compete with others.

The fly by wire steering is interesting too. Someone's gotta be the first, but I agree it makes me less comfortable as of now. They do have full double redundancy on the steering rack with two motors, controllers, etc in case one system fails, but still makes me wary. But planes have been doing it for decades so it's not unprecedented for peoples lives to rely on fly by wire stuff.

As far as why they are doing it, the first aspect is variable steering ratio. From what I've gathered it has like 1.25 turns lock to lock. At low speed it will hit the max available range, then as you go faster and faster, it only allows you less and less tire angle for the same steering throw. But I also think they're getting the hardware dialed in for the robotaxi that's coming sooner or later. The FSD software is catching up quick, and while I see steering wheels for the forseeable future, they're putting everything in place for a steering wheel not to be needed any more
Definitely a move to make it easier for FSD, the only incentive IMO.

Alpha or Beta testing FSD is not something I'm interested in PAYING to do for them...

I saw one towing a 25-28' airstream near Cisco off I70 a week ago, probably headed to Moab. I thought he was pretty ballsy being that far from a charger with a load behind him. I jumped to the conclusion that he was one of those ruining Moab so i threw out one of these. :flipoff:

been seeing the goofy rivian amazon vans for a while now, they got enough miles on them to be missing fenders and shit

One of those delivered to my house a few months ago and I asked the driver how he liked it. His response was "I hate this fucking thing and I'm not going to make it back to the warehouse before the battery runs out" :lmao:

I've never seen another one in this area. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh