What's new

Motortrend!

Apparently HRG subbed Dolsich in for some episodes while Lucky was down with the vid. I feel bad for Tony.

Watched that today. Did he get some teeth work done? :laughing:
Sure looked like it. Bright white and you can always tell when someone isn't used to the shape or size of the new grill in the way they talk.

He's a bit odd but the dude doesn't bother me at all compared to Ian. That dude is annoying as fuuuuuck so I haven't watched that shitty show since he's been on it.

Never really could take dulcich too seriously as he always seemed to be the class clown. Now with his pearly whites he looks like a cartoon character come to life.

Just watched it, it was an okay episode. Dulcich didn't really add or subtract anything. Best essence of dulcich was when he was gas welding those headers with a coat hanger in his yard. Then fell off the chair almost catching the entire yard on fire.

Sure looked like it. Bright white and you can always tell when someone isn't used to the shape or size of the new grill in the way they talk.

He's a bit odd but the dude doesn't bother me at all compared to Ian. That dude is annoying as fuuuuuck so I haven't watched that shitty show since he's been on it.
Ian is ok what I don't like about it is they have the annoucener from like swamp people to narrate. Doesn't fit thr show at all.

Ian is ok what I don't like about it is they have the annoucener from like swamp people to narrate. Doesn't fit thr show at all.
I swear it’s the same announcer who did all of the Powerblock shows back in 2003

It's ridiculous, it's like they stole a guy from a baked beans commercial. I don't see how they can't see how cheesy it makes it.

As someone else mentioned, he really does just do like 70% of a project and then moves on, it's weird.

Thats a good point, they don't seem to ever 100% finish anything. They do the easy part and then say it's done when it still needs all the details. I haven't watched that many of his shows though. What's this, #4 or 5?

I like Ian, he seems like he'd be a fun guy to wheel with. I think the hair thing started out more normal, people made fun of him and instead of changing it to something normal, he just made it more and more ridiculous. He has more flair, which draws in more average people.

Ded is way better for people like us. My wife does enjoy it also, said their humor reminds her of mine.
Ian was on the old board and I believe he said his contract required him to keep his hair spikey and that he didn't personally care for it. I like the new show. I did however loose a bit of respect for him when he spent half an episode flipping an axle over (I think it was a 14-bolt) that was going to be used as a front axle and he said would go the wrong way if he didn't.

If they let him finish a project in one episode there wouldnt be time to hock products infomercial style for majority of it like they do.

Ya, its pretty annoying, especially when it's a wax coating deal on a 4x4 show.

I thought it was funny how much shit he bought from harbor freight for that cab forward project. HF sponsoring shit now? :laughing:

Ian was on the old board and I believe he said his contract required him to keep his hair spikey and that he didn't personally care for it. I like the new show. I did however loose a bit of respect for him when he spent half an episode flipping an axle over (I think it was a 14-bolt) that was going to be used as a front axle and he said would go the wrong way if he didn't.

Way back when he also used radius arms on a rear 4 link in a "prerunner" as in 2 triangulated uppers, then the lowers had 2 pick up points ea on the axle :laughing: :homer: he got some serious shit for that. Not sure what ever became of it.

I get that the general public doesn't want to watch 10 episodes worth of detail shit that it takes to finish a big project, but at least skip forward and show it driving like he did on the jk truck.

I'm sure Ian is just mopping up as much free gravy as he can from any sponsor that will give it to him.

Free Cummins diesel? Sure! Free car wax? Why not!? Harbor Freight tools? Absolutely!

I'm sure Ian is just mopping up as much free gravy as he can from any sponsor that will give it to him.

Free Cummins diesel? Sure! Free car wax? Why not!? Harbor Freight tools? Absolutely!
HRG manages to finish cars, test them and still showcase products without sucking. Its possible to have it all.

I also agree.
I used to love watching Extreme4x4 back in the day. But it's the same old tune, dating back to Stacy David (and I miss him).
Same layout.
They have great project ideas, work on them for 2 episodes, and move on to another.
And half the episode is commercial/product placement.
If anything, I wish he would carry a project through it's entirety.
I'm still waiting to see the cab-over, cummins, 4x4, flatbed brought back from the grave. I also understand that was from another show and is probably scrapped.
I too agree that DED and other shows have changed the production to fulfillment, and not stringing viewers along.

We've reached an age where viewers want immediate product, mostly due to social media sadly.

Watched the new HRG today. Some thing about that Corvette is off. I’ve been around a lot of C3 Corvettes and I don’t ever remember seeing the wheels as offset in the wheel wells. I don’t know if it’s a shitty body kit or if they just started it in the wrong place and all the other parts fell into the wrong place. Something is not right with my car.

Watched the new HRG today. Some thing about that Corvette is off. I’ve been around a lot of C3 Corvettes and I don’t ever remember seeing the wheels as offset in the wheel wells. I don’t know if it’s a shitty body kit or if they just started it in the wrong place and all the other parts fell into the wrong place. Something is not right with my car.

When the guy said $30k+, I was definitely thinking it was gonna be half that. The whole episode kinda seemed to be cringey, pimp-this-car-for-sale. Especially as said above, I'm often left wondering how 'done' these project cars really are. I'd be wary getting one without nut & bolting everything for myself first.

When the guy said $30k+, I was definitely thinking it was gonna be half that. The whole episode kinda seemed to be cringey, pimp-this-car-for-sale. Especially as said above, I'm often left wondering how 'done' these project cars really are. I'd be wary getting one without nut & bolting everything for myself first.
During my wrenching days, I had my hands on a number of magazine vehicles. If it looks like it works in pictures, most writers said that was good enough. Only the very high-end stuff was finished in a way you would consider done.

From my observation many of the vehicles on TV/YouTube are the same. Missing bolts, missing welds, half assed running. I will say Fred and Dave generally hit the big stuff And get it working. If it is one of their personal vehicles they go back after the show and really do a lot of the detail work. If it belongs to the company sometimes they are scrapped before they are ever really dialed in. It is the nature of the game. I have been around professionally built hot rods and trucks and the amount of time they take would never be allowed on a TV show or YouTube show. They just don’t have the budget to put in that amount of time.

I will say Fred and Dave generally hit the big stuff And get it working. If it is one of their personal vehicles they go back after the show and really do a lot of the detail work.

To their credit, if a vehicle craps out when they take it wheeling, almost always it's never the fault of a crap weld or cut corner. Breaking a driveshaft because there wasn't a skid plate, or an axle shaft because you tried wheeling a stock Rover axle, or a balljoint/knuckle break...shit happens. But the stuff they actually do seems like it's solid (on this side of the screen anyway).

That body kit is a big piece of shit. Hacking the fender wells for clearance and running 4" spacers to allow for those heinous wheels is just too much.

Dirt Every Day is a little goofy but I really enjoy watching Dave fabricate. I think he is the only one of these motor trend guys that I have learned tricks from and actually applied them to my own builds. He's always got some outside the box solutions and seems like he isn't afraid to dive in head first and tackle things. And the quality of his work is super impressive given the short amount of time he has to make it happen.

Dirt Every Day is a little goofy but I really enjoy watching Dave fabricate. I think he is the only one of these motor trend guys that I have learned tricks from and actually applied them to my own builds. He's always got some outside the box solutions and seems like he isn't afraid to dive in head first and tackle things. And the quality of his work is super impressive given the short amount of time he has to make it happen.
I like how the shops and tools they use are relatively poorly equiped and they make it work. I keep wanting to loan them tools.

it looked like there massive wheel spacers on that thing... but then again, i know nothing about vettes

Way back when he also used radius arms on a rear 4 link in a "prerunner" as in 2 triangulated uppers, then the lowers had 2 pick up points ea on the axle :laughing: :homer: he got some serious shit for that. Not sure what ever became of it.
I missed that one. The fact still remains that he has his own show and I've only been on an episode of gearz for like 6 seconds so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Top Back Refresh