What's new

Matt's Off Road Recovery.

Most of us built rigs as best we can and then find it's limits as we use it. It's a bit different when you design something from scratch for a specific purpose and it ends up woefully inadequate. Usually that is the military that does that sort of shit. :flipoff2:
Not sure why I keep trying to defend them, when you built your rig did you have to have it in a specific place on a specific day?
IIRC Tcase in Off Road Designs one off it's supposed to be stronger than the standard 205 but fit in the same space, they just had the case I don't think it had the full internals that's why Rory showed up with a 205 and put those internals in the ORD case. AS for the lockers not working, I am sure they were concentrating on just getting the beast to drive on it's own

Not sure why I keep trying to defend them, when you built your rig did you have to have it in a specific place on a specific day?
IIRC Tcase in Off Road Designs one off it's supposed to be stronger than the standard 205 but fit in the same space, they just had the case I don't think it had the full internals that's why Rory showed up with a 205 and put those internals in the ORD case. AS for the lockers not working, I am sure they were concentrating on just getting the beast to drive on it's own
I thought they had the first midnight 205 in it, not the proto they mocked up with but first complete unit. ? I remember a video where Midnight had sent them revised parts for it, maybe the same vid they picked up the trans. Havent watched all the vids though so i probably missed something.

That doesn't even make sense. 24 MILLION a year on YouTube?!
Yep. Videos of him playing with toys. If you’re one of those dumb fucking parents that lets your 5 year old stare at a cell phone or tablet all day you are helping fund his retirement.

I have built a few vehicles from scratch and my teething period has been considerably longer than those guys. Heck, they still break from time to time :laughing:
Spent years in and around different forms of racing, circle track, road racing and drags. None, no matter how much, planning, build time,or money spent didn't have their teething problems, sometimes it took a whole season to get all the major bugs worked out, minor crap was always cropping up
I thought they had the first midnight 205 in it, not the proto they mocked up with but first complete unit. ? I remember a video where Midnight had sent them revised parts for it, maybe the same vid they picked up the trans. Havent watched all the vids though so i probably missed something.
Was it Midnight? I pretty sure it was an incomplete prototype they picked up the case so they could continue the build

Spent years in and around different forms of racing, circle track, road racing and drags. None, no matter how much, planning, build time,or money spent didn't have their teething problems, sometimes it took a whole season to get all the major bugs worked out, minor crap was always cropping up

Was it Midnight? I pretty sure it was an incomplete prototype they picked up the case so they could continue the build
ill have to check Utoob. They had to tear the case apart and put the revised parts in it, maybe shifter stuff.

I'm not dissing him or the show. I find his vids great just for the scenery (I have never been out there) and I enjoy that. The only thing that bugs me a bit is every other thing he does is "this is only temporary" , why not do it right the first time? I know he's under the gun for views and has to keep the drama seekers going and watching but.

I'm not dissing him or the show. I find his vids great just for the scenery (I have never been out there) and I enjoy that. The only thing that bugs me a bit is every other thing he does is "this is only temporary" , why not do it right the first time? I know he's under the gun for views and has to keep the drama seekers going and watching but.
I have been following along and enjoying the build as well. I don't watch a lot of Matt's recovery videos, I'm mainly interested in the big wrecker. On that last video, his right hand man (can't remember his name) said, "I know we say that alot" after again pointing out how something was temporary. i think that is just the nature of how they build things. Very different from say Project Binky, where every part looks to be professionally engineered, preplanned and incorporated perfectly with the build.

I enjoy watching both styles because you can learn something from either. :beer:

I have been following along and enjoying the build as well. I don't watch a lot of Matt's recovery videos, I'm mainly interested in the big wrecker. On that last video, his right hand man (can't remember his name) said, "I know we say that alot" after again pointing out how something was temporary. i think that is just the nature of how they build things. Very different from say Project Binky, where every part looks to be professionally engineered, preplanned and incorporated perfectly with the build.

I enjoy watching both styles because you can learn something from either. :beer:
Matt's is more of a slap it on lets see if it works. Project Binky I would love to see their preplanning notebooks, you know they were engineered down to the last flat washer

Matt's is more of a slap it on lets see if it works. Project Binky I would love to see their preplanning notebooks, you know they were engineered down to the last flat washer
And even they end up re-doing shit.

To those that bad mouth Matt's youtube channel , I do not see your own channel making the kind of coin his does. Matt does this for fun, it is suppose to be enjoyable easy going show , so lighten up you Frances . They all seem like down to earth people just living the dream in today's world that is so full of BS . They laugh and joke as big family and friends while making a little bit of money which is what America is about.

I don’t watch his videos, but what is the powertrain in the big tow truck?
8.1l, 4L80, ORD Magnum (I think) with a 205 (was a MMW briefly), Meritor planetary steering axles at both ends with Kodiak brakes, on 54" Mickeys.

I thought at one point in his videos he said the first was a mock up, and that midnight was going to ship them a working version before they finished. Maybe he didn't get it in time and was running something else in its place? I think in one of the fabrats videos Paul was talking like it wasn't temporary and their trailside solution was going to be 300m shafts.

I thought at one point in his videos he said the first was a mock up, and that midnight was going to ship them a working version before they finished. Maybe he didn't get it in time and was running something else in its place? I think in one of the fabrats videos Paul was talking like it wasn't temporary and their trailside solution was going to be 300m shafts.
I lost track too...
here's the vid of Rory working on the TC, not sure what it is.

Originally it was doubled MMW that was in prototype phase, for SEMA etc. then I guess it never got sorted out and a 205 of unkown flavor was installed in its place?
Would one of the cases out of a modern diesel pickup have higher torque ratings? Still not sure what is breaking but it sounds like output shafts from you guys.

The final TC?
1677102167739.png

Don't those industrial axles have insane gear ratios? And given that this is an off-road vehicle that is not going to go over 40MPH, wouldn't a NP205 be sufficient for most uses?

I dont know why yall click on those utoob attention whores.

Don't those industrial axles have insane gear ratios? And given that this is an off-road vehicle that is not going to go over 40MPH, wouldn't a NP205 be sufficient for most uses?
Yes, the hubs are planetary. However, they can still be only 7.xx ratio, which still puts the same stress on shafts with stupidweight. .

Still not sure what is breaking but it sounds like output shafts from you guys.
Yep, this video they say they broke both output shafts in one go:

I remember my cousin did that once to the atlas in his bronco, but it took medium air + leaving his foot in it on the landing + 400 hp to do.

The newest video shows him testing. Does not look like it has lockers. Edit watched the whole video. He answered most of the latest questions

Last edited:
The newest video shows him testing. Does not look like it has lockers. Edit watched the whole video. He answered most of the latest questions
Yeah I felt dumb for asking questions when it's all in that vid.

He's breaking those shafts so easy it seems like that is gonna be hard to get enough strength out of light duty transfer case.

Top Back Refresh