What's new

KoH 2021 Chit Chat

Just wondering if the diff had more stress or not, it shouldn't but suppose that depends on the setup. Not sure why they wouldn't use it like on the graveyard you should be using it like a mofo especially with the less steering angle.

Did Cameron lose an axle or the front locker, looked like an open diff but couldn't quite tell.

The diff will see the same load as a Live Axle. Not sure what that car is using for a T-case. Maybe they can't do a proper front dig?

Haven't heard what problem the Lazernut car had yet. I'm sure we'll eventually hear. When they came through the main pit after lap two (and a huge lead on everyone else) Miles was saying they lost a limit strap. I looked over at the wife and said that could bite them on the 3rd lap, all that force of the suspension dropping can really mess things up. IDK if that was the same side as the failure. But Miles did go on to say a CV boot was ripped.... loose the grease out of a CV and it will soon cook on a HP suspension being used hard.

The diff will see the same load as a Live Axle. Not sure what that car is using for a T-case. Maybe they can't do a proper front dig?

Haven't heard what problem the Lazernut car had yet. I'm sure we'll eventually hear. When they came through the main pit after lap two (and a huge lead on everyone else) Miles was saying they lost a limit strap. I looked over at the wife and said that could bite them on the 3rd lap, all that force of the suspension dropping can really mess things up. IDK if that was the same side as the failure. But Miles did go on to say a CV boot was ripped.... loose the grease out of a CV and it will soon cook on a HP suspension being used hard.

I was wondering if the limit strap was to prevent the CV joint from overextending? I'd have taken the time to fix it, even if it meant dropping to 2nd or 3rd in the pits. Certainly someone had a strap that could have worked, or, improvised such. With all the announcers (not that I believed them) talking about "finishing" and that car, I wonder if that was true or not. I have to admit, the concept of IRS/IFS certainly works.

I was wondering if the limit strap was to prevent the CV joint from overextending? I'd have taken the time to fix it, even if it meant dropping to 2nd or 3rd in the pits. Certainly someone had a strap that could have worked, or, improvised such. With all the announcers (not that I believed them) talking about "finishing" and that car, I wonder if that was true or not. I have to admit, the concept of IRS/IFS certainly works.

I would think the strap should only be there to stop the shocks from topping out, it would seem odd if the axle would over extend before the shocks topped out, but I guess I really don't know.

When you figure these things are built to the ragged edge, maybe the extra little bit of droop was all it would take to damage the axle.

I also noticed the announcer say that the shocks probably have 20" of travel, and they limit it to 16" I'm pretty sure it's not that drastic. :laughing:

Especially with the portal boxes. The extra diff clearance allowed that car to work through the rocks very nicely.

what's the deal with pellligrrrinoo and his IRS car? he was cruising the desert at like 60 mph and seemed to just be taking his time cruising :confused: does he just need another driver in his car? :flipoff2:

I was wondering if the limit strap was to prevent the CV joint from overextending?

My thought as well. Even if it wasn't maxed out, having a ripped boot, loosing grease, and a bit extra angle could cause more wear.

But then watching the car it looks like it was a locker cause one side seemed dead, then the other.

But I agree I though it was strange they didn't do the limit strap and try to tape the boot up atleast.

I would think the strap should only be there to stop the shocks from topping out, it would seem odd if the axle would over extend before the shocks topped out, but I guess I really don't know.

When you figure these things are built to the ragged edge, maybe the extra little bit of droop was all it would take to damage the axle.

I also noticed the announcer say that the shocks probably have 20" of travel, and they limit it to 16" I'm pretty sure it's not that drastic. :laughing:

You know those numbers are announcer BS. 20” travel on those cars are coming from much shorter shocks. The straps protect everything, it’s not uncommon to see two straps/ corner on rigs.

what's the deal with pellligrrrinoo and his IRS car? he was cruising the desert at like 60 mph and seemed to just be taking his time cruising :confused: does he just need another driver in his car? :flipoff2:

From watching pre-race coverage, their focus as a team this year was to finish. That car is quite similar to the lasernut car and both have battled issues when racing hard.

Did Daddy Genright finish the main race in his 4dr JK? I had totally forgot about that whole deal until I caught a glimpse of it during the main race on Saturday. Was it a trail plug like everyone here and at the old board cried was going to happen?

When you figure these things are built to the RAGGED EDGE, maybe the extra little bit of droop was all it would take to damage the axle.

That right there.

Overtravel the CV, rip the boot and it doesn't take long for a failure.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

You know those numbers are announcer BS. 20” travel on those cars are coming from much shorter shocks. The straps protect everything, it’s not uncommon to see two straps/ corner on rigs.

Yep..... That was just someone talking who didn't know head from azzzz.......IFS uses a shorter shock than actual travel.

When you see two straps, that is to control the amount of strap stretch.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think that has been proven over a few years now. Surprising really. He has a great car, a great team, great sponsorship, get that kid in some driver training: rally, desert, road race etc. Just like all of us, a little extra schooling by pros would do a world of good.

From watching pre-race coverage, their focus as a team this year was to finish.

And that they did, kudos to them. Hopefully team Pelligrino will continue to progress.

Speaking of progression, Bailey Cole is a great example, he is learning and improving, all the way up to a 4th place finish this year. Congrats Bailey. Very good for a car that might be mid-pack on any given day.

That right there.

Overtravel the CV, rip the boot and it doesn't take long for a failure.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yep..... That was just someone talking who didn't know head from azzzz.......IFS uses a shorter shock than actual travel.

When you see two straps, that is to control the amount of strap stretch.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I think that has been proven over a few years now. Surprising really. He has a great car, a great team, great sponsorship, get that kid in some driver training: rally, desert, road race etc. Just like all of us, a little extra schooling by pros would do a world of good.

And that they did, kudos to them. Hopefully team Pelligrino will continue to progress.

Speaking of progression, Bailey Cole is a great example, he is learning and improving, all the way up to a 4th place finish this year. Congrats Bailey. Very good for a car that might be mid-pack on any given day.

Bailey did great all week!

Baily Cole finished 4th last year as well and somewhere around there the year before? Is Moonyham training him?

Fricken' water all over the keyboard....
If that was the case, wouldn't he be placing 2nd? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

We all know that in reality, it's that top dogs that get taken out of the race because they are pushing it to the ragged edge. And it can be little things that do it. Anyone ready to pounce will get the win.

Very proven by Byler last year and Randy this year (not saying that they are not top dogs, Randy definitely is). 2020 KOH with all its lead changes was crazy. Byler was running a good clean race and was able to swoop in for the win when the others were broken on the side of the course. This year was the same, looked like Scherer had the race sewn up (possibly) until the fuel issue. Then it looked like Steele had the win (by a large margin) until the Graveyard. The one thing we've learned over the years is that KOH is tough and demanding on drivers and components and things change fast, including the lead. Those posed to pounce when everyone else has blown their wad have a great chance of winning. Randy ran a great race and took the win when others couldn't.

I may have miss quoted, i don't think he said 20" shock. I was more referring to the fact that he said they were limiting the travel 4".

I don't think anyone is getting 20" out a 4wd front ifs?

Did Daddy Genright finish the main race in his 4dr JK? I had totally forgot about that whole deal until I caught a glimpse of it during the main race on Saturday. Was it a trail plug like everyone here and at the old board cried was going to happen?

Wasn’t this last year’s discussion????

He said in one post race interview that they lost a diff cooler on the first lap and couldn't go over 60. Seems like every year they have a problem with the diffs in that car. Meanwhile a straight axle has won it the last two years. Maybe they should be re-thinking there strategy here.

He said in one post race interview that they lost a diff cooler on the first lap and couldn't go over 60. Seems like every year they have a problem with the diffs in that car. Meanwhile a straight axle has won it the last two years. Maybe they should be re-thinking there strategy here.

Diff cooler? How fast are the spinning that diff? :eek:

For those curious about the SCS, I know on the larger cases (12.66 drop) they can be setup in a "married" configuration, so a doubler like a NWF black box, or similar can be used, they have also had a "2wd disconnect" for years, in a rear engine vehicle this would work perfect for having a front dig option,
I believe most of the U4 type vehicles along with the bouncers running an SCS are using the 10" thru box, if that case is not already setup for the 2wd disconnect I bet it's only a phone call away from being an option,

SCS offers a 2WD disconnect option for the small case, as well as a Magnum underdrive can be fitted in front of it.

Glad to see a Solid Axle on the podium again.

I have always heard that using portal geared hubs takes the torque load off of the R&P. Witness the 8.75" 28sp AMC Model 20 R&P used in the 8000lb Hummer H1. I wheeled a lot with some of those guys in Moab and at Logandale and never saw a R&P let loose...axle shaft yes but not R&P. Got a more Tech Tim explanation as to why it sees the same load?

Tony did not race, what you saw was a customer that was inspired watching Tony race last year, then called up Gen Rite and said “build me one.”

Finishing info of the various Ultra4 classes.
StartedFinishedDNFFinish %
UTV97465147.42%
4600292276.90%
450027111640.74%
480067274040.30%
440089375241.57%

UTV:
2021 Can-Am UTV King of the Hammers Finisher Results

EMC (4600, 4500, 4800)
2021 4WP EMC Race Results _ Finishers

4400:
2021 OPTIMA Batteries King of the Hamers Finisher Results

So the golf cart course was too easy :flipoff2: and they need to do something with the EMC to get the finishing numbers higher for the 4600s. I bet most of those timed out due to traffic jams rather than breakage.

Diff cooler? How fast are the spinning that diff? :eek:

I think it's fast. Remember when they first raced the car and it didn't even finish the desert lap? Apparently the rear diff got super hot and fawked everything up. So their band-aid was coolers for them. I think that car still has a lot of growing pains. It will be interesting to see how that thing goes if/when they get all the bugs worked out.

On a side note- my personal opinion of Jordan got changed this year. A friend of a friend rolled and got used for traction by a lot of 4400 cars this year. He said Jordan was one of two drivers who actually asked if he was ok and let them spot him around the car rather than just plowing over it.

Top Back Refresh