What's new

KoH 2021 Chit Chat

Good to see a Live Axle rig win though, it'll bring out all the "Live Axle are still competitive" comments again.... :stirthepot:

SAS some 4400 cars.:flipoff2:

The ifs cars seem to push hard in the beginning causing flat tires/ breakage. The "Live Axle" cars have a steady pace though out and start pulling ahead mid race.

The ifs cars seem to push hard in the beginning causing flat tires/ breakage. The "Live Axle" cars have a steady pace though out and start pulling ahead mid race.

The Levi Shirley(sp) interview comparing his IFS car to his solid axle rig summed it up best. The solid axle cars get through the rocks better and the IFS and IFS/IRS cars go through the desert better. They have to haul ass in the desert sections to make up for lost time in the rocks. Randy drove his solid axle car right through the same spot Steele got stuck.

Well I did see Slawson cut off Bailey who was waiting in line at the Sledgehammer pile up. Seemed like a dick move unless bailey told him that was okay. Slawson doesn't have any issue doing stuff like that.

What??? Its called RACING, not politically correct day on the trails. :shaking: Bailey and the rest of those guys were fools for "waiting in line" and it cost them the win. Period. Randy took advantage of the situation and won because of that decision. I dont blame him one bit for not giving a fuck about anybody hurt feelers. Any one of those guys could have taken the same route through there.

The Levi Shirley(sp) interview comparing his IFS car to his solid axle rig summed it up best. The solid axle cars get through the rocks better and the IFS and IFS/IRS cars go through the desert better. They have to haul ass in the desert sections to make up for lost time in the rocks. Randy drove his solid axle car right through the same spot Steele got stuck.

I saw a clip in a video somewhere of Wayne Isrealson (sp?) where he said tuned vs tuned, a SFA full tilt is like 80% effort max in a IFS. Actually made a joke along the lines of “sipping a glass of something but not really”.

Another factor seems to be guys like Randy or other privateer crawlers that usually only race KOH only vs racing the U4 series (short course style) or some desert races where IFS 100% shines.

What??? Its called RACING, not politically correct day on the trails. :shaking: Bailey and the rest of those guys were fools for "waiting in line" and it cost them the win. Period. Randy took advantage of the situation and won because of that decision. I dont blame him one bit for not giving a fuck about anybody hurt feelers. Any one of those guys could have taken the same route through there.

Randy still waited in line just like everyone else at that spot. And he didn't take any special line or routes.

Where? at the graveyard? he front ned wasn't working.

Just recorded a show with the guys from the Wheeling, Wine and Whiskey and Snail Trail 4x4 podcasts. Both awesome guys, they love what and why IBB is what it is and wanted to help spread the word. Should be coming out in a few weeks!

be sure to check them both out:

snailtrail4x4.com

wheelingwineandwhiskey.com

Salute:

It was super cool to meet ya in person! Also, nothing like driving shot gun in an open Unimog to watch the Backdoor Shitshow.

I've also heard that the full independent ufo Gomez car (used to work for them) does better in the rocks than the other 2 solid rear. Having all that clearance in the center is probably a huge advantage on ~80% of the rocks.

It's also a very different deal trying to actually crawl obstacles vs just getting through the trail.

I also think that for the most part, all the top guys still running solid f&r have extensive rock crawling background. While not all the ifs guys do.

I saw a clip in a video somewhere of Wayne Isrealson (sp?) where he said tuned vs tuned, a SFA full tilt is like 80% effort max in a IFS. Actually made a joke along the lines of “sipping a glass of something but not really”.

Another factor seems to be guys like Randy or other privateer crawlers that usually only race KOH only vs racing the U4 series (short course style) or some desert races where IFS 100% shines.

The short course/desert race 100%. I think Miller won the east coast race. Driver skill and timing is the biggest factors.

How do IFS handle front digs?

the Gomez cars run an SCS case; they can’t. I do know that you can spec “rear engine” on an atlas (or mod one to), but I doubt that it is used much in this form of racing. Outside of technical crawling and showing off, I rarely used mine.

Random question, I didn't catch all the finishers - did any of the UTVs end up finishing the big race? They weren't doing half bad through the first less difficult laps

All of the Utv’s finished, with only one outside of the top 20, iirc

Last edited:
IRS FTW, Hope Steele comes back :flipoff2:

He will, Miles made a comment about seeing a “front boot issues” on their last trip through the main pit. I’m not sure whose call it was, or if it was just overlooked, but I suspect that ultimately led to the 3 wheel peel and the no front drive. The car is a Swiss Army knife and proven twice to be very fast. In this case, the team let a broken limit strap and torn boot ride and it most likely cost them the race.

Depends on the driver. They are definitely easier to push hard in the fast stuff.

Going fast in the desert is huge, but where they really shine is the nuisance stuff. The Live Axle cars have a tough time keeping the same pace.

Amen! This has been an argument since the early days.

Get the F*** outta the way or get driven over.

I would argue 75% or less.

I also think that for the most part, all the top guys still running solid f&r have extensive rock crawling background.

And that's a huge part of this race. The old saying the KOH is won in the desert and lost in the rocks is very apt here. Apt, I say APT! :homer::homer::homer:

How do IFS handle front digs?

Just like a Live Axle.

the Gomez cars run an SCS case; they can’t. I do know that you can spec “rear engine” on an atlas (or mod one to), but I doubt that it is used much in this form of racing. Outside of technical crawling and showing off, I rarely used mine.

I was wondering if that's what they used when someone mentioned that they couldn't disconnect front or rear. Cool thing about those is its really easy to change ratios for different types of races.

Do they run a planetary in front of it for low range or just 1 gear?
​​​​​​
They kept talking about front digs on the feed, I can't really see using it much in a race situation, especially with the extra risk of breaking when you're sending 100% of your power to one end.

I was wondering if that's what they used when someone mentioned that they couldn't disconnect front or rear. Cool thing about those is its really easy to change ratios for different types of races.

Do they run a planetary in front of it for low range or just 1 gear?
​​​​​​
They kept talking about front digs on the feed, I can't really see using it much in a race situation, especially with the extra risk of breaking when you're sending 100% of your power to one end.

I honestly do my know for sure, but I am remembering a magnum setup possibly that Joe Thompson was showing off years ago.

He will, Miles made a comment about seeing a “front boot issues” on their last trip through the main pit. I’m not sure whose call it was, or if it was just overlooked, but I suspect that ultimately led to the 3 wheel peel and the no front drive. The car is a Swiss Army knife and proven twice to be very fast. In this case, the team let a broken limit strap and torn boot ride and it most likely cost them the race.

balls.

i really want that car to win at KOH. non of that second/3rd place nonsense that the UFO cars have been getting.

I was wondering why they didn't replace the limit strap as well. Seems like a quick fix that obviously is important.

Didnt Marcos break a front limit strap last year? Broken upper a arm cost him 1st place. He also flat admitted he over drove the car to pass literally the entire field.

Just like a Live Axle.

Just wondering if the diff had more stress or not, it shouldn't but suppose that depends on the setup. Not sure why they wouldn't use it like on the graveyard you should be using it like a mofo especially with the less steering angle.

Did Cameron lose an axle or the front locker, looked like an open diff but couldn't quite tell.

I was wondering why they didn't replace the limit strap as well. Seems like a quick fix that obviously is important.

Didnt Marcos break a front limit strap last year? Broken upper a arm cost him 1st place. He also flat admitted he over drove the car to pass literally the entire field.

No, be broke the upper bolt and drove in on his Elrod’s limit strap!

Amen! This has been an argument since the early days.

Get the F*** outta the way or get driven over.

Announcers said that you can't drive over someone unless they say it's okay. :confused:

As for that situation there was one line and a couple people were stuck there. He didn't try another line, he just jumped in front and ate up room that might have been needed for recovering the person in front. I get it's a race but chocking up the trail so recovery as no room to work by pushing the line up doesn't help either. It made no difference on the race and wasn't what Miller was talking (well who knows what he was talking about) I just thought it was a dick move. I still don't know why they were sitting there so long and no one was trying to help the line. If you wanted to win there I'd been hooking up straps and lines to clear the route out or looking for a way around.

​​​​​

I dunno, everyone here use it a ton and watching the feed there was alot of times where a front dig would have been faster.

Just wondering if the diff had more stress or not, it shouldn't but suppose that depends on the setup. Not sure why they wouldn't use it like on the graveyard you should be using it like a mofo especially with the less steering angle.

Did Cameron lose an axle or the front locker, looked like an open diff but couldn't quite tell.

youtube chat was comical when steele first got stuck "oh yeah, bet he could have used the sand ladders right about now! keep from digging a hole!"

nevermind the whole 3 then 2wd thing :laughing:

I feel like earlier in the race miles went up and talked to one of them(thought it was Marcos) while they were welding what I thought was limit strap tabs back on.

Last year? The strap held. I’m not sure what happened to him this year?

youtube chat was comical when steele first got stuck "oh yeah, bet he could have used the sand ladders right about now! keep from digging a hole!"

nevermind the whole 3 then 2wd thing :laughing:

Yeah sand ladders!! :laughing::laughing:

They do work we used them in the 1k to get unstuck but helps to have 4wd drive.

Top Back Refresh