What's new

KoH 2021 Chit Chat

I just saw when they swapped leaf spring earlier in the day and she took back off. Hadn't seen anything since on that.

I just saw when they swapped leaf spring earlier in the day and she took back off. Hadn't seen anything since on that.

yeah i saw her tracker cutting across and heading back to town when reese was milemarker 105 or so. i think they called it when the sun was going down and a finish was out of the cards

yeah i saw her tracker cutting across and heading back to town when reese was milemarker 105 or so. i think they called it when the sun was going down and a finish was out of the cards

Yea she blew the leaf spring on the first jump out of the gate. She timed out so she had to come in. Hell of an effort tho.

Love Amber's enthusiasm, and I've seen her make other folks look stupid on the trail. But a stock(ish) sami isnt competitive.

Love Amber's enthusiasm, and I've seen her make other folks look stupid on the trail. But a stock(ish) sami isnt competitive.

is it really that much worse than a roxor? stock class, so they are all stockish, but for $40k it could be just as competitive as anything else

is it really that much worse than a roxor? stock class, so they are all stockish, but for $40k it could be just as competitive as anything else

The roxor(JHF) has $10k in custom axles. Far cry from a 1.3 and noodle axles. Hell, she had to carry a spare t-case

The roxor(JHF) has $10k in custom axles. Far cry from a 1.3 and noodle axles. Hell, she had to carry a spare t-case

$10k in axles leaves $30k for hopped up engine goodies, atlas, full custom transmission. really that would be your biggest limit, how much can you get the transmission to hold? for $10k you could probably get something good inside.

Right. You get all of 60HP from that 1.3, divorced atlas, yota based axles, custom leafs, supporting mods then maybe its competitive. I'm not knocking her, as it sits she'll never podium. She has heart though.

Watching that 4th gen 4runner was painful. They had zero intention of racing. Couple of sponsor sucking fags.

Right. You get all of 60HP from that 1.3, divorced atlas, yota based axles, custom leafs, supporting mods then maybe its competitive. I'm not knocking her, as it sits she'll never podium. She has heart though.

Watching that 4th gen 4runner was painful. They had zero intention of racing. Couple of sponsor sucking fags.

which one, the gray one?

i sure hope the steel city racing one makes it out next year, i'd like to see him be much more aggressive with it.

Leaf sprung rigs have won the 4600 class three years in a row now.

When you have to drive slower over the whoops in a leaf sprung rig, you don't flog your junk as hard and dont break. KOH is a race of attrition, luck and talent, and I think a case could be made in the 4600 class that leaf sprung rigs help in the attrition catagory.

Leaf sprung rigs have won the 4600 class three years in a row now.

When you have to drive slower over the whoops in a leaf sprung rig, you don't flog your junk as hard and dont break. KOH is a race of attrition, luck and talent, and I think a case could be made in the 4600 class that leaf sprung rigs help in the attrition catagory.

maybe.

i'd like to know what the "winning 'til they weren't" folks all broke in 4600. steering has always been fairly common weak link, i'm curious if anything else is "common"

Most of our race ending failures have been hoses, electrical or overheating resulting in a blown transmission.

We've only had one major mechanical failure in 5 years of racing which was a completely destroyed front axle from driving too fast in the whoops and catching a bad landing. Broke the long side tube clean off of the side of the center of the housing which promptly spun, shearing the pinion off and sending the front driveshaft flailing around destroying the transmission housing.

There is definitely something to be said about slow and steady, but you still have to go fast enough to pass the trail tampons before they get stuck in front of you on the rock trails.

They didn’t get a lot of air time and I only had audio today, but do you think the traffic jams kill the class, or is the course just too hard/ long? I heard a couple references of stuck/ broken 4800/4500 rigs blocking the 4600 leaders.

Justin seemed to be able to drive around most of the blocks. There was a few shots of him driving by 4800 cars that were on the end of a rope. I'm sure there were some slow downs but the top 5 or so seemed to be able to keep it moving.

Everything just breaks. i'm not sure if they are overdriven or what, because there are some high end cars with high end drivers that end up way out of the money for "xyz reason".

course is tough, but obviously do-able. heck, 4619 wasn't winning at all until he finally was, same thing for the last several years. he gets pretty good finishes, but if he's first or 10th has got to just be whatever the attrition is :laughing: i think he runs about the same pace every year.

they also do get all of the traffic jam stuff the absolute worst, but they also cause a bunch of log jams, so that is a wash i think.

I think the traffic Jams really screw the 4600 Class. Pretty much the entire class got stuck in the traffic Jam on Outer Limits and timed out. There wasn't really any coverage to show exactly what was going on, but based on tracker positions, it looked like there was a 4800 and a 4500 car stuck/broken and blocking the entire 4600 class except the leaders who managed to get by. Even the leaders were being significantly slowed down by traffic from the other classes throughout the rock sections. I am positive there would have been three 4600 cars in before dark had they not been held up by other classes.

The 4600 class is already slow enough that finishing within time is hard without having to sit around in traffic jams. Unfortunately, there isn't really a good way to solve the issue short of giving the 4600 class their own race which isn't going to happen with a field of less than 30 cars. Giving them a head start would cause issues when the faster cars would inevitably catch up to them and have to get around them. I think the most practical solution would be to start the cars in the EMC based on qualifying time regardless of class, but that probably wouldn't help much since most stock class cars wouldn't be able to qualify well enough to avoid an appreciable amount of traffic.

They got stuck in log jams just they sit on their ass in a giant line. Did you see the pile up at cougar buttes. And no reason for it. co dawg could have got out and spotted anyone of those guys 15 feet either side around the blockage. Or helped the guy in front to get moving again. But no let's just sit in a line for 30 minutes.

The grey 4th gen raced a couple of our local baja races this year, don't think they finished any of them either. Surprised to see them out their but they sure got a crap load of drone time for some reason.

which one, the gray one?

i sure hope the steel city racing one makes it out next year, i'd like to see him be much more aggressive with it.

He was in the YT chat at one point and said they're aiming to be out again next year.

Congrats to Justin for taking the 4600 class win again :beer: Love it that a well sorted beat old yota can lay the smack down on many high $ rigs :smokin:
And well done to all the 4600 class cars in general.

This years map sucks! Rest of the coverage is amazing and just keeps getting better, but the map and tracker are a step back. Might be better for race ops, but it isn’t better for the viewer.

This years map sucks! Rest of the coverage is amazing and just keeps getting better, but the map and tracker are a step back. Might be better for race ops, but it isn’t better for the viewer.

According to the official KoH account in the YT chat yesterday the only reason they've changed is Yellowbrick are UK based and couldn't do it this year cos beer flu.

Almost time for the big one!

90 Starters with JP Gomez on pole
https://www.ultra4racing.com/2021-optima-batteries-koh-qualifying-results

Predictions?
New King? (or Queen if Ryan Miller wins in Bailey Campbell's car :flipoff2:)
SA/IFS/IRS?
How many Kings will end up entombed in the new Kings Graveyard? Or will they just walk it trouble free?

For whatever reason I always root for Campbell's.

But I also root for sfa

I'll root for randy a little this year after fighting a wild fire with him last fall :laughing:

I've never payed much attention to the maps, but as awesome as the coverage really is coming from the middle of nowhere, my constructive criticism for 2021 is: no more picture in picture! That shit died in the 90s :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Even on a 65" TV, you can't really see what's going on in the little screen.

They got stuck in log jams just they sit on their ass in a giant line. Did you see the pile up at cougar buttes. And no reason for it. co dawg could have got out and spotted anyone of those guys 15 feet either side around the blockage. Or helped the guy in front to get moving again. But no let's just sit in a line for 30 minutes.

That lesson was learned in what 08 or 09 when everyone stacked up on Outer Limits, there's way more cars on course now of course, but they should be working together to keep the course open. And HK should also anticipate where these logjams might happen and have winch points set and or more recovery vehicles in place. The shit-show in Cougar Buttes was completely unnecessary. Saturday morning QB'ing and all that.

They could start 4800 at 7am, 4500 at 8am and 4500 at 9am.

According to the official KoH account in the YT chat yesterday the only reason they've changed is Yellowbrick are UK based and couldn't do it this year cos beer flu.

Thanks, I haven’t been watching the YT channel or chat...

The “premium” package is nice, but they have to work out some of the kinks, Picture in Picture is one of those!

Top Back Refresh