What's new

KoH 2021 Chit Chat

electric car did 1 lap of mostly desert. still had to do some battery changes and still a neat concept. it would be neat to get "enough" of them to have it actually be a thing, and eventually get them up to full 4600 course

I want to build a ln electric moon buggy. Mount a motor per axle, as well as the batteries to the axles. Have a fwd/Rev pedal for each foot. Would be pretty damn capable I would think.

like it or not, it’s the future. Look at where U4 started and where it is now.

TonkyK built a couple of e-crawlers over 10 yrs ago. I’m surprised that never gained traction as crawling recovered.

Shouldve been an open class so people could compete this year. Just thought the win was overblown since it was canned.

I'll reserve judgement till next year hoping more will enter.

You mean like every other class. Participation awards ruin stuff.

yeah, pretty much :laughing: they can't just slam it into the 4600 class though, i mean, hell, if you allow engine swaps like that, what's next? UTV's in 4600? hell to the no.

I still don't understand the short course rather than just the course that takes the bypasses. without the heavy rock trails, is it even KOH? :laughing:

like it or not, it’s the future. Look at where U4 started and where it is now.

TonkyK built a couple of e-crawlers over 10 yrs ago. I’m surprised that never gained traction as crawling recovered.

Gotta hand it to him for giving it a try that long ago. Wasn't it back when single seats had you sitting on top of the trans? :laughing:

I want to build a ln electric moon buggy. Mount a motor per axle, as well as the batteries to the axles. Have a fwd/Rev pedal for each foot. Would be pretty damn capable I would think.

that would be very close to the hydrodynamic buggy, 99% sure he was running wheel motors.

that would be very close to the hydrodynamic buggy, 99% sure he was running wheel motors.

In a way, sure. I'm more thinking a life size rc crawler.

They call them MOA's. Motor on axle. They are ridiculously capable, unrealistically so. Applying that to a life size rig you can sit in would be fun though.

In a way, sure. I'm more thinking a life size rc crawler.

They call them MOA's. Motor on axle. They are ridiculously capable, unrealistically so. Applying that to a life size rig you can sit in would be fun though.

well yeah, just a matter of if you want to do it with an electric motor vs hydraulic motor. pretty similar function otherwise.

which is yet another great example, if you can finish 4600 you will make the podium!

They didn’t get a lot of air time and I only had audio today, but do you think the traffic jams kill the class, or is the course just too hard/ long? I heard a couple references of stuck/ broken 4800/4500 rigs blocking the 4600 leaders.

They didn’t get a lot of air time and I only had audio today, but do you think the traffic jams kill the class, or is the course just too hard/ long? I heard a couple references of stuck/ broken 4800/4500 rigs blocking the 4600 leaders.

Justin seemed to be able to drive around most of the blocks. There was a few shots of him driving by 4800 cars that were on the end of a rope. I'm sure there were some slow downs but the top 5 or so seemed to be able to keep it moving.

Everything just breaks. i'm not sure if they are overdriven or what, because there are some high end cars with high end drivers that end up way out of the money for "xyz reason".

course is tough, but obviously do-able. heck, 4619 wasn't winning at all until he finally was, same thing for the last several years. he gets pretty good finishes, but if he's first or 10th has got to just be whatever the attrition is :laughing: i think he runs about the same pace every year.

they also do get all of the traffic jam stuff the absolute worst, but they also cause a bunch of log jams, so that is a wash i think.

well yeah, just a matter of if you want to do it with an electric motor vs hydraulic motor. pretty similar function otherwise.

Kinda, electric will have WAAAAY more tq at low rpm's but also spin up to higher rpm's. Then you have to mount an engine, pump, fuel tank, hydro tank, related coolers, and hoses. Electric will be way more simpler and lighter if long range isn't a concern.

Kinda, electric will have WAAAAY more tq at low rpm's but also spin up to higher rpm's. Then you have to mount an engine, pump, fuel tank, hydro tank, related coolers, and hoses. Electric will be way more simpler and lighter if long range isn't a concern.

yeah, i was just specifically talking about the individual wheel control aspect of it :laughing:

yeah, i was just specifically talking about the individual wheel control aspect of it :laughing:

Individual wheel would be cool, could build an arched high clearance "axle" to connect the wheels. I'm guessing you'd have to figure out some type of planetary similar to the hydro motors.

4688 jon scahefer for second just after 7pm!

4819 or 4816 across the line with most of a wheel and none of a tire :laughing: "well, we got a flat, and swapped a flat tire back on" rough day but also one of the coolest cars at the race :beer:

Top Back Refresh