What's new

just drop this here - Project Binky

They may have done much more but I kinda doubt it, probably don't better with insulation bit I think what little sound deadening they did was just to get rid of the echo not to make it a S series Merc. It's a mini at the end of the day after all. :laughing:

See...I'm in the middle of a ECU/harness swap (as well as cleaning up the wiring I'm finding behind the dash) and I'm seeing what was (wasn't) done for sound/heat on the firewall and floor pan.

At this point I'm debating gutting the entire car and treating it. :homer:

1629265177739.png

See...I'm in the middle of a ECU/harness swap (as well as cleaning up the wiring I'm finding behind the dash) and I'm seeing what was (wasn't) done for sound/heat on the firewall and floor pan.

At this point I'm debating gutting the entire car and treating it. :homer:

1629265177739.png
I understand your plight, that'll be sick once it's all done though.

I'm about to do a power window, locks and mirror swap on my Toyota building my own harness. To throw a wrench into it I'm seriously debating just pulling the dash and installing an alarm to control the power windows and locks as well as remote start.

I'm a glutton for punishment apparently. :homer:

Any suggestions on what alarm will be the least shitty these days? I will install it myself, I know they aren't all that big of a deal but I have no idea what's what anymore.

I understand your plight, that'll be sick once it's all done though.

I'm about to do a power window, locks and mirror swap on my Toyota building my own harness. To throw a wrench into it I'm seriously debating just pulling the dash and installing an alarm to control the power windows and locks as well as remote start.

I'm a glutton for punishment apparently. :homer:

Any suggestions on what alarm will be the least shitty these days? I will install it myself, I know they aren't all that big of a deal but I have no idea what's what anymore.

Compustar

PjTwin, I need to stop reading your posts. They make me want to go buy a new car just to have something worth soundproofing:laughing:

^^assuming that's the new shop "truck". Cleaning up the wiring of old owners hack jobs has become the bane of my existence over the years. Somehow spent 15hrs rewiring my parents Z3 a couple years back, JUST the audio:mad3: But you're a lot better than me for sure

Dynamat (or any CLD material) works to reduce panel resonance. It's great on large, flat panels that have no bead rolls or structure to them, but it's only the first step in sound treatment. They could still do some sound absorption and sound blocking material.

I'm still surprised they didn't even install a jute layer under the carpet.

I had a guy visit today that sat in the Audi and checked out the install. No audio playing.

He was sitting in the driver's seat looking at the new interior (shitload of suede) and the install location for the processor controller.

So he's sitting in the car with the hatch open and no sub in the rear floor. The whole back of the car was fully open.

His comment was that it was a weird feeling sitting it it because it's so quiet. It changes the way your voice sounds. He had to get out because it was fucking with him because it was too quiet.

With the hatch open. :laughing:

Here's a post I made in one of the Chevelle groups when someone asked about sound deadening:

A few years back the trend of covering all the car audio installs with TESA meant Profeshunal. :homer:

Everyone is doing it now. I despise it. It has a use, but I'd rather see a spiral wrap with 1/4" wide tape than full-on mummification. Much easier for service.

I was working on a ECU swap today. My hands were black. Not from grease, but from shit quality electrical tape that would slide off the harness.

I feel we're too technologically advanced to still be stuck using shit tape. :laughing:
I'm sure I speak for quite a few people here, but I believe you have the coolest job here.

PjTwin, I need to stop reading your posts. They make me want to go buy a new car just to have something worth soundproofing:laughing:

^^assuming that's the new shop "truck". Cleaning up the wiring of old owners hack jobs has become the bane of my existence over the years. Somehow spent 15hrs rewiring my parents Z3 a couple years back, JUST the audio:mad3: But you're a lot better than me for sure

This isn't the shop "truck". :laughing: This is the '73 Camaro that's torn apart (see below)

Funny story about the shop truck, though. It's also black. Has no headliner and only has carpet on the floor. Just like the Project Binky situation, there's no heat blocking or insulation in it. No AC. It's a black metal fucking sweatbox. Even with the windows down at 70 on the highway you sweat your balls off. I told the wife I wanted to put Vintage Air in it and do a full sound/insulation treatment to it when I get the time. I'm going to fully re-do the interior so I'll pick up all the interior bits over time. The plan is to get the Vintage Air, new dash pieces, and new gauges on hand before I pull the dash apart. If I'm going to pull it out to install either sound treatment or Vintage Air, I only want to pull it once.

So I come upstairs for dinner last night and, since the dash is out and there's only some Noico sound deadener applied to the floor pan, I told my wife I should just go ahead and pull the carpet and fully treat the firewall with deadener and then treat the entire firewall and floor pan with thermal insulation and sound blocking.

She says "I thought you were going to use that stuff on the truck"

I'm thinking in my head "What truck? I don't have a truck anymore."

Then I realized she was talking about the El Camino. :homer: I don't even call that thing a truck. When I called it the shop truck it was a tongue-in-cheek thing. Honestly I just wanted another classic muscle "car" that I could haul some MDF and metal with.

Anyway, the '73. It has a GM 0411 ECU with VaporWorx and is running rich as shit. Instead of taking it to a tuner (which I'd need an actual truck/trailer to haul it) I decided to get a Holley Terminator X system for it.

So I had to pull the old ECU and harness.

1629297901680.png

1629297933733.png

Here's the GM harness I removed. This was mounted to the firewall behind the dash. I had to pull the dash to have access to it.

1629298152378.png

I had to remove the entire engine harness through this hole. Pulling it from the engine bay into the cabin. It was stuffed through here without a grommet. :homer:

1629298217277.png

...and that hole is on the firewall...in the kick panel.

1629298255336.png

I'm sure I speak for quite a few people here, but I believe you have the coolest job here.

Says you. :laughing:

Sure doesn't feel like it sometimes. I get overheated, puke, and pass out if I push too much or spend too much time leaned over working in a trunk, engine bay, or kick panel. Something about being leaned over like that really fucks with me. Not sure if it stems from the TBI or the cyst on my pineal gland but it sucks.

That harness I had to remove was deep in the kick and a complete PITA to get out. I had to break out a good bit of the harness from the loom so it would feed through that hole.

With your hands in that kick panel feeling/feeding the harness through you're working blind.

So I'm leaning over to get into the kick and working blind/by feel to get that harness out. Takes for-fucking-ever. That makes my head go crazy, I start overheating and feeling like I'm going to puke.

Lots of breaks to keep from puking in the car or just passing out.

But, it's out. About as difficult as changing spark plugs. Though the tailpipe. :laughing:

Says you. :laughing:

Sure doesn't feel like it sometimes. I get overheated, puke, and pass out if I push too much or spend too much time leaned over working in a trunk, engine bay, or kick panel. Something about being leaned over like that really fucks with me. Not sure if it stems from the TBI or the cyst on my pineal gland but it sucks.

That harness I had to remove was deep in the kick and a complete PITA to get out. I had to break out a good bit of the harness from the loom so it would feed through that hole.

With your hands in that kick panel feeling/feeding the harness through you're working blind.

So I'm leaning over to get into the kick and working blind/by feel to get that harness out. Takes for-fucking-ever. That makes my head go crazy, I start overheating and feeling like I'm going to puke.

Lots of breaks to keep from puking in the car or just passing out.

But, it's out. About as difficult as changing spark plugs. Though the tailpipe. :laughing:
Now, is it pretty much clean, new vehicles you're working on? That's got to be nice. All my shit is rusted out, full of dirt, cracked plastic, and a floor covered in two year old Cheerios and lollipops.

Now, is it pretty much clean, new vehicles you're working on? That's got to be nice. All my shit is rusted out, full of dirt, cracked plastic, and a floor covered in two year old Cheerios and lollipops.
53 years new. Readings hard :flipoff2:

No. The Audi is an '06. My Chevelle is a '66, the El Camino is a '70, the Camaro is a '73, and the van build (the BIG Windstar build after the Audi) is a 2002.

Typically the people that want the level of work I do (and want to dump money into their cars) have newer or nice older vehicles. Most everything that I work on gets completely gutted and I start at sheet metal.

All of the unseen work is worth it. Creates a quieter, more comfortable cabin and makes the HVAC system more efficient.

The gutted Windstar...This had been completely fucked up by two previous shops. I'll start a discussion on it when I start the build.
1629300904195.png

Buddy's xB in Hawaii.
1629301018604.png

Ford Edge
1629301053994.png

Silverado
1629301109473.png

Seems kind of Ironic we stripped sound deadener out of cars to gain a tenth of a second at the track. Now that I am older I appreciate a quite interior!

A while back they wrote that because of agreements to be at a show they had made, that they put it together enough to get it on and off the trailer, and that pictures had appeared on the net. They then had to go back to the shop and back down to the last video and redo it right.
To me it sounds like they are having some timing problems

A while back they wrote that because of agreements to be at a show they had made, that they put it together enough to get it on and off the trailer, and that pictures had appeared on the net. They then had to go back to the shop and back down to the last video and redo it right.
To me it sounds like they are having some timing problems

Just noticed # 36 wasn't in here

Wow, I can't believe the bypass worked on the tranny cooler.

As far as the driving pics, it seems like they can't drive slow. Like the clutch is to grabby.

Did the first time you started a new engine did it run like it should or did it have teathing problems?
I'm not hating on BOM, just pointing out that there is some tuning that needs to be done. It sounds like they had an obligation to be at the event, and shit happens, so no big deal. Just pointing out the obvious. I'm sure it is all sorted by now.

BTW- My shit is always perfect, every time.

The cable drive is a neat idea that they will regret.

Top Back Refresh