What's new

just drop this here - Project Binky

I have apparently missed this thread. Will definitely have to check it out

I have apparently missed this thread. Will definitely have to check it out
They have been working on this for 8 years! What is surprising is how far ahead they thought of things, welded in bolts to be used as grounding stud holes for wiring, stuff they did 8 years ago are suddenly used, I would love to see their brainstorming notebook
Nik is the king of brackets, several times he starts a stop watch when he starts and turns it off 11 hours later. They have real jobs so they have limited time to work on it, and Richard the narrator lives 5 or 6 hours away.

They have been working on this for 8 years! What is surprising is how far ahead they thought of things, welded in bolts to be used as grounding stud holes for wiring, stuff they did 8 years ago are suddenly used, I would love to see their brainstorming notebook
Nik is the king of brackets, several times he starts a stop watch when he starts and turns it off 11 hours later. They have real jobs so they have limited time to work on it, and Richard the narrator lives 5 or 6 hours away.
You can travel for 5 to 6 hours in Britain without going in circles or ending up in an ocean?

That might work OK on steel, but "no bueno" on aluminum, you need A/C for that. My main interest is welding aluminum, I can MIG steel pretty good, and have access to a nice MIG at work.
Not true. DC aluminum tig is possible with helium! That's why they used to call it heli-arc. Lower amperage and no bullshit ac noise like that either. The only problem is the price of helium.

Not true. DC aluminum tig is possible with helium! That's why they used to call it heli-arc. Lower amperage and no bullshit ac noise like that either. The only problem is the price of helium.
We DC- vaccuum vessels all the time, better penetration and less porosity.

In episode 36 out this weekend, Nick was using a braided line with DOT airline tube ends at 15:31.

This could be what I am looking for-but my google foo has failed. What search terms do I need to use on where to get the parts to make this stuff?

In episode 36 out this weekend, Nick was using a braided line with DOT airline tube ends at 15:31.

This could be what I am looking for-but my google foo has failed. What search terms do I need to use on where to get the parts to make this stuff?
Episode 36? It's this weekend, and I can't find it.

Have you looked at Parker Hannifin's product catalog, that's definitely in their wheel house.

Honestly, kinda surprised they bypassed the cooler instead of making an overly-compmicated bracket for it way back when...

the tranny cooler bypass had me impressed. Threads aligned, sizing was perfect, etc. that took some planning for such a "simple" piece.

like mentioned earlier, i can't believe the planning that went into this thing. EVERYTHING fits together like a glove. I can't even line up 4 holes after I mark them 10 minutes earlier:lmao:

:smokin: YES! Now they need Project twin to spend some time to teach them how to properly sound deaden the car :flipoff2:

Honestly it was sad to see what they did.

They talked about heat shielding/insulation and completely skipped jute padding/thermal insulation under the carpet or on the firewall.

...and that damn shell STILL echoes and sounds like a tin can when they're working inside.

I'm on episode 35 now.

"Five rolls of TESA tape and way too many hours later..."

I hate seeing wiring mummified with TESA. That shit gets gummy over time.

They need to cover the roof still. Once that's done and the seats are in it will be much less tin canny.

They need to cover the roof still. Once that's done and the seats are in it will be much less tin canny.

Dynamat (or any CLD material) works to reduce panel resonance. It's great on large, flat panels that have no bead rolls or structure to them, but it's only the first step in sound treatment. They could still do some sound absorption and sound blocking material.

I'm still surprised they didn't even install a jute layer under the carpet.

I had a guy visit today that sat in the Audi and checked out the install. No audio playing.

He was sitting in the driver's seat looking at the new interior (shitload of suede) and the install location for the processor controller.

So he's sitting in the car with the hatch open and no sub in the rear floor. The whole back of the car was fully open.

His comment was that it was a weird feeling sitting it it because it's so quiet. It changes the way your voice sounds. He had to get out because it was fucking with him because it was too quiet.

With the hatch open. :laughing:

Here's a post I made in one of the Chevelle groups when someone asked about sound deadening:

You need more than just the deadener.

Spray-on materials are a deadener.

So for cars I build I'll do a full treatment with Second Skin's Damplifier Pro.

On top of Damplifier Pro for the floor, I'll do a layer of Heat Wave Pro which is a jute material with heat barrier layers on top and bottom.
Over the Heat Wave Pro I'll apply a layer of Luxury Liner, which is a mass loaded vinyl.

Each layer performs a different function. The spray-on materials and materials like Dynamat/Killmat, (constrained layer dampers, or CLD) and such are deadeners. They reduce panel resonance. Since they also have a layer of aluminum, they help with heat - to a point.

The next layer, Heat Wave Pro, has two thermal layers (top and bottom) and inside is that jute layer. This insulates the floor pan MUCH better than a simple layer of Dynamat/Killmat/Hushmat/Damplifier Pro. It also serves to absorb noise and works as a decoupling layer for the next, layer...mass loaded vinyl.
Mass loaded vinyl (MLV) is a noise blocker. It works in conjunction to the other two layers and actually blocks noise.

So CLD absorbs panel resonance. That foil layer that we talk about that works as a bit of a thermal barrier is what makes that damping material a constrained layer damper. It does not absorb airborne noise and it doesn't block sound.

If you're only using CLD you have SO MUCH MORE to gain from using other materials. You're basically 1/3 of the way there.

For the roof I'll apply 100% coverage of Damplifier Pro then I'll apply Second Skin's Mega Zorbe, which is a 1/2" thick hydrophobic melamine foam. This stuff is awesome on the roof. It is a thermal barrier and absorbs airborne noise. Since it's a foam, it's not ideal for use in places like the floor.

Second Skin also has spray-on materials that have ceramic in them. Great for firewall applications to reduce interior heat.

As a brand, they have the single best line-up of products and they're the only brand I use on the cars I build.

I did a 2017 Silverado last year. Completely gutted it and treated it. In the Georgia heat the owner would have the AC on 68 to be comfortable inside. After treatment his old setting of 68 would freeze him out of the vehicle. His new temp setting was 72.

The vehicles are so well deadened and insulated that you can play the stereo full tilt with doors shut and it sounded like someone was listening to a stock stereo that was turned up. When the doors opened you were hit with a wall of sound.

When it gets cold enough for frost to get on the cars you can turn the car on for it to warm up and the windows will thaw but the doors and roof will remain frozen. That's because of the cabin being so well insulated.

what, you don't like the sticky fingers you get after fucking with fuzzy VW harnesses?

A few years back the trend of covering all the car audio installs with TESA meant Profeshunal. :homer:

Everyone is doing it now. I despise it. It has a use, but I'd rather see a spiral wrap with 1/4" wide tape than full-on mummification. Much easier for service.

I was working on a ECU swap today. My hands were black. Not from grease, but from shit quality electrical tape that would slide off the harness.

I feel we're too technologically advanced to still be stuck using shit tape. :laughing:

I'm 99% sure that they aren't worried about making the interior whisper quiet. That thing is a work of art and adding a bulky layer would have made that carpet lay like shit where now it's damned near painted on.

I'm 99% sure that they aren't worried about making the interior whisper quiet. That thing is a work of art and adding a bulky layer would have made that carpet lay like shit where now it's damned near painted on.

A layer of jute with top/bottom thermal layers and a layer of mass loaded vinyl is about 3/8" thick. Not a big deal.

Putting all of that gold thermal along the bottom of the tunnel and not treating the rest of the car (firewall and floor pan especially) is a missed opportunity.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that most people think that once you apply Dynamat you're done. They don't know that there's a better, more complete way.

With the lengths they went though to build that car I'm sure they'd have done better sound/heat treatment if they had known how to do so.

A layer of jute with top/bottom thermal layers and a layer of mass loaded vinyl is about 3/8" thick. Not a big deal.

Putting all of that gold thermal along the bottom of the tunnel and not treating the rest of the car (firewall and floor pan especially) is a missed opportunity.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that most people think that once you apply Dynamat you're done. They don't know that there's a better, more complete way.

With the lengths they went though to build that car I'm sure they'd have done better sound/heat treatment if they had known how to do so.

They may have done much more but I kinda doubt it, probably don't better with insulation bit I think what little sound deadening they did was just to get rid of the echo not to make it a S series Merc. It's a mini at the end of the day after all. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh