What's new

Junkyard 609 axles

Yes… if I’d designed them myself but I bought them… so, that really wouldn’t be fair on the guy who did all the hard work.

Haha, I was going to ask about the file too. Is that one from diyoffroad?

Did you weight them before and after?

I don’t have a scale and there wasn’t much ‘before’ to scale besides the rear D60 donor, everything else was parts and pieces.

Haha, I was going to ask about the file too. Is that one from diyoffroad?

I don’t have a scale and there wasn’t much ‘before’ to scale besides the rear D60 donor, everything else was parts and pieces.
Yes, from DIY… same as TTR use in their axles

Reactions: Dan
Definitely needed some changes for better fitment. Currently working thru the 2nd run of 30 housings. I had cut and bent.
For just one-off’s I found them go together not bad. The 3rd also sits decently flat after welding out too… nothing a bit of instant gasket can’t fix 😉

I hate that the internet named these 609 instead of 69. Compete failure.
Well since the front axle is using Dana 50 outers and a 9" center wouldn't that make it a 509? :flipoff2::flipoff2::laughing::laughing::lmao::lmao:

I'm with y'all though......69 axle/s is a better name. And in a play on words its a 69 axle.....right 60 9 would be written 69 not 609 or 60/9.
I have been messaging with Dan ever since I saw his post about these axles in the 9" gears thread. I am building two steering axles right now following pretty close to what he did!

I just bought two centers from this exact eBay add. I have to say I'm VERY impressed. Seller took the time to pull the studs out of the housing and bag them so they didn't get messed up in shipping. They also pulled the tubes out. So other than cleaning the two centers I got are ready to start shaving and building.. Highly recommend this seller if you don't already had a 9" sitting around.
eBay 9in center.jpg

eBay 9in center 2.jpg

Last edited:
Testing out the new laser level, my only black Friday purchase.
IMG_0252.jpeg

Cut a big ass hole.
IMG_0427.jpeg

Got the old girl clamped into my home made axle stands and pre loaded the housing opposite the shave in preparation for welding. Not much pressure here, enough to keep it in place but not warp it the other way once it heats up.
IMG_0429.jpeg

Worth noting I also had an empty case bolted on with all 10 nuts tightened to prevent warpage.

I had 3 of those aluminum blocks I was alternating on the shave plate for heat sinks.
IMG_0431.jpeg

Tig welded outside, mig welded inside.
IMG_0433.jpeg

Dan how did you know how much you could shave off of the housing without hitting the ring gear? Also do you happen to know if all ratio 9" ring gears have the same OD? I.E. will a 4.10 ring gear have the same outer diameter as a 6.20 ring gear?

This is some GREAT tech!!! i'm glad you decided to start a thread on these axles!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!:smokin:

Well since the front axle is using Dana 50 outers and a 9" center wouldn't that make it a 509? :flipoff2::flipoff2::laughing::laughing::lmao::lmao:

I'm with y'all though......69 axle/s is a better name. And in a play on words its a 69 axle.....right 60 9 would be written 69 not 609 or 60/9.

I have been messaging with Dan ever since I saw his post about these axles in the 9" gears thread. I am building two steering axles right now following pretty close to what he did!

I just bought two centers from this exact eBay add. I have to say I'm VERY impressed. Seller took the time to pull the studs out of the housing and bag them so they didn't get messed up in shipping. They also pulled the tubes out. So other than cleaning the two centers I got are ready to start shaving and building.. Highly recommend this seller if you don't already had a 9" sitting around.
eBay 9in center.jpg

eBay 9in center 2.jpg

Thanks for posting up Blase! I was going to message you today about your progress. Any word on that spool?

Blase is building a pair of steering fifty 9 axles that use OE size Gm D60 inner shafts, please continue to post your progress!

Yeah….. I’d say the 9” rear I used is comparable to those eBay ones but they are much better than what I used for the front, and I paid more!

I even tried cleaning up the factory ford welds and very quickly stopped when I saw this.
IMG_0788.jpeg

Dan how did you know how much you could shave off of the housing without hitting the ring gear? Also do you happen to know if all ratio 9" ring gears have the same OD? I.E. will a 4.10 ring gear have the same outer diameter as a 6.20 ring gear?

This is some GREAT tech!!! i'm glad you decided to start a thread on these axles!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!:smokin:

From the research I did I think all ratios in the actual 9” size are the same or so close it doesn’t matter, including mega hi9 gears. I can’t confirm with 100% certainty though. Maybe one of these race car drivers can confirm that.

For the shave I cheated a little bit, meaning I already had my assembled drop outs in the shop and could easily test fit them by bolting them in. I left about .250-.375” between the gear and shave plate.
IMG_0458.jpeg

IMG_0474.jpeg

This is basically the effective shave while sitting on flat ground at the mall, with a 13 degree pinion angle the shave is level with the ground. I ended up cutting to the black line for more clearance.
IMG_0377.jpeg

And thanks!

Awesome, mine got delivered while I’m out of town this weekend so I’ll check it out when I’m back. Good to hear on the tubes, I was worried they might pull too much out but sounds like that’s not the case.

Dan if you did it again would you still weld knuckles to tubes first before tubes to center?

FYI I think you could get cheaper donor axles by going for somebody who's parting out a 2nd gen ram. The cummins and trans are the only things in those piles worth anything so you can reliably score the rest for mid hundreds at least around here.

FYI I think you could get cheaper donor axles by going for somebody who's parting out a 2nd gen ram. The cummins and trans are the only things in those piles worth anything so you can reliably score the rest for mid hundreds at least around here.
What are you doing with the shitty 33sp outers ?

Dan if you did it again would you still weld knuckles to tubes first before tubes to center?

Yes, makes positioning the weld easier. I don’t see a problem doing the tube in the center first, then it would be like a regular narrowing.

You dont get usable tubes from most of them, though, since most were CAD axles.

Reactions: Dan
I paid $100 for the Dana 50 donor, I haven’t seen cad axles that cheap. Probably because people with them are still trying to sell a 60. If I found one for cheap enough I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.

Anybody know the tube size on cad axles?

Anybody near New Mexico that wants a dodge CAD 60? My brother has one with the matching rear out of Cummins truck he’d make you a deal on.

What are you doing with the shitty 33sp outers ?

Adamwende has been using them for a while with 42 stickies. From what I remember, the stubs have not been an issue.

As someone mentioned. They're the same c's are the same as 93-97 Ford live spindle and 99-04 UB knuckles.

Still useless 1480 size though :flipoff2:

Slow ass crawling with a 3500lbs car.

Ya, but you know those az guys can tear shit up in their terrain with a 100hp and some gearing.

Thread is about budget 69s, a stock center and dodge outers would be the most budget 69 possible, and again you could upgrade to whatever outters you want down the road.

May as well be Toyota birfs :flipoff2:

Ya, but you know those az guys can tear shit up in their terrain with a 100hp and some gearing.

Thread is about budget 69s, a stock center and dodge outers would be the most budget 69 possible, and again you could upgrade to whatever outters you want down the road.
Sure.
I'd still put 50 outers above the dodge ones.

May as well be Toyota birfs :flipoff2:
I'm glad you and I are on the same page :laughing:

When looking at used axle prices it never seems like the dodge stuff is any cheaper, if anything I find the ford axles to be substantially cheaper.

Any reason other than cost to use those junkyard 9" housing centers? I know you get can get circle track housing centers for pretty cheap. I know they are very lightweight, but I figure with additional trussing they'd be strong enough.

Any reason other than cost to use those junkyard 9" housing centers? I know you get can get circle track housing centers for pretty cheap. I know they are very lightweight, but I figure with additional trussing they'd be strong enough.
I looked and cheapest I found was $329 and it only had 3" axle tubes. It also had a small web center. The Junk yard / eBay housings that I bought had 3.25" OD tubes and are the big web cetners making it easier to use te Dana 50 tubes. Dana 50 tubes have a 3.5" od so if you look Dan cut into the web some to get to the 3.5" dia of the factory Ford 9".

Cost is one factor to use the Junkyard housing. I personally think its pretty cool to run the ford style housings. I love how they look AND if you know your pinion angle you can shave the housing for max clearance. I don't need or want a 10" ring gear so why leave room in a housing for it?

i wonder just for the sake of wondering if the Dodge 33 spline unit bearings could be resplined to 35 (or maybe 40) spline? The Dodge unit bearing has the 33 spline cut directly into it right? No drive flange or hub needed correct?

Top Back Refresh