Jeep formerly known as 'The Turd'

Day 19 Tuesday, 05 Oct.

Rolled on in at the house …

20201006_B_Home.jpg

1605 Eastern Time.

24:55 total elapsed time. WIN.

1777 miles with the top down. WIN.

So here’s the deal …

I know damned well this here weren’t no hard-core, 4-wheelin’ adventure. Hell, I was only in 4wd a coupla days. But I don’t owe no apologies to nobody.

I gotta badass jeep and a badass trailer …and they ain’t got nothin’ to prove … and neither do I. What I needed was to get my house in order … to slay the demons in my mind.

I needed a fuckin’ roadtrip. I needed time away from my fuckin’ work phone. I needed dirt roads. I needed to be campin’. I needed bars. I needed beer.

And I needed to write about it.

Hopefully some of y’all enjoyed readin’ about it as well.

If not … then go read somethin’ else. I don’t give a fuck.

My demons are gone. My head's clear. And now it’s time to get back to work.

THE END … OF THIS ONE.

The last part with the Mustang was unexpected, but pretty cool! (Pun intended...:laughing:) When I started reading this I thought you were heading home, wherever that is, didn't realize you were "living" in Florida. I was thinking you were down there for work and that was it for the year. Cool trip and you picked the perfect time of year to do it in my opinion. Not to hot, not to cold. :smokin:

Wife, myself and our 2 dogs are driving from the Dallas Texas area to Rhode Island starting tomorrow night in her JKUR on 40s. 1725mi one way. I have to go up there for a sudden family thing and like you, have no desire to fly. With this Covid crap I would have to stay up there 14 days before I could fly back. So that isn't happening. Should be interesting......

I'd probably keep the stroker Hemi in there and get it fixed up. I don't know how many miles you put on it before the trip itself, but it sure seems like one hell of a good motor if took you that far without any issues other than burning oil. Sounds easily fixable to me.

Awesome report. Always nice to hit the road and do some exploring! Out of curiosity who did the engine tuning? I have a hemi jk with manual trans and have all sorts of drivability issues.

Outstanding

That was awesome. Glad you had a blast, cause it was a blast to follow along here.

Thank you gentlemen.

Wife, myself and our 2 dogs are driving from the Dallas Texas area to Rhode Island starting tomorrow night in her JKUR on 40s. 1725mi one way ...

I'd probably keep the stroker Hemi in there and get it fixed up.

Safe travels sir. TNT will be doin' a full diagnostic test on the hemi to try to see exactly what we got. We're hopeful of a rebuild. We'll see.

Awesome report. Always nice to hit the road and do some exploring! Out of curiosity who did the engine tuning? I have a hemi jk with manual trans and have all sorts of drivability issues.

Stand-alone brain for the hemi from Hotwire Auto outta Arkansas. Rest of the jeep is wired up like a street rod. The jk electrical system is a fuckin' abortion so we scrapped it 100%. I'd venture to guess that's where your issues lie.

Her holes seem a bit sloppy. That would explain the oil use.

Which is exactly what we expected. Actu'ly just happy she survived the roadtrip to get 'er back to the shop. :grinpimp:

I see Kowboy liking sloppy. holes.... :stirthepot:

The hole's only sloppy 'cause the thang goin' back and forth inside the hole is too friggin' small. I'm sure you can relate sir ... :flipoff2:

Just an update on the engine.

Bottom line is the shop that did the shitty-ass SEMA build back in 2010 or so, claimed to have installed a 6.7L stroker crate motor from Arrington Performance, a high-end hemi shop that at the time was outta NC. When I first bought the jeep, I looked up the engine and it had a whoppin' $40k price tag. Basic'ly a drag racin' engine.

Arrington Performance has since been sold and moved to VA. The good news is that the new owner got all the old files when he bought the bid'ness. After many weeks of research with the new owner and Bob at TNT Customs, the truth about the engine has been revealed.

And it's a fuckin' joke just like the rest of the original SEMA build was.

Despite what was claimed, the engine purchased was NOT purchased as a crate motor. It weren't even purchased as a long block. It was a short block. But wait ... it gets even better!

The original builder then proceeded to bolt on stock 5.7 heads and slap in a stock 5.7 cam. Now that's absolutely outstandin'!! It truly takes a special kinda idiot to do that. But it could be advertised as a 6.7 at SEMA ... so life was good.

Regardless, it's garbage now.

And Arrington Performance is gonna help us out with a suitable replacement.

A brand-spanky new Mopar VVT 6.4L 392 Long Block assembled with SR2B Camshaft, MDS Delete, Hellcat Lifters, PSI Springs, and Custom Pushrods.

Available within 2 weeks from time of purchase at $10,250.00 + approx. shipping of $400.00.

Mailin' the check out today. :grinpimp:

Glad to see you are still alive and drinking.... uhh kicking. Wow it really was a turd.

Great thread, a lot of nowhere for solo trip. Glad it went good. I can't imagine driving mine across country like that but I have a house and garage on wheels that my jeep rides in for road trips.

Just read the whole thing. Outstanding adventures you seem to get in. Very cool !

Well, at least you got to run the other engine just about to it's death. Also, nice job on the detective work.

Best part is, your new engine is going to feel like it's a race engine.:eek:

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures!

But I'm a little confused about some of the details surrounding the engine that was in the Jeep. I never knew that Arrington was ever located in NC. As I bought a 426ci (bored and stroked 6.1L) HEMI from Arrington Performance back in 2010. To my knowledge, they were already located in Martinsville, VA at that time. In 2011, I hauled a buddy of mines Challenger from TX to their shop in VA. I got the full tour while I was there, very nice place! Anyways, good luck with the new engine. I'm sure you'll be happy with it though.

Glad to see you are still alive and drinking.... uhh kicking. Wow it really was a turd.

Thank you sir. And yes ... advise all to stay clear of anythang ever associated with SEMA.

Great thread, a lot of nowhere for solo trip. Glad it went good. I can't imagine driving mine across country like that but I have a house and garage on wheels that my jeep rides in for road trips.

Thank you sir. I would think yours is a bit extreme for cross country treks. I tried to go as extreme as possible with mine while maintainin' enough streetability for a few thousand miles at a shot. While pullin' my trailer.

At least ya know now :grinpimp:

And that's a fact.

Just read the whole thing. Outstanding adventures you seem to get in. Very cool !

Thank you sir. Lookin' forward to the next one.

Well, at least you got to run the other engine just about to it's death. Also, nice job on the detective work.

Best part is, your new engine is going to feel like it's a race engine.:eek:

Sure gonna be interestin' for damned sure to see the dyno run when she gets the new tune. We agree the new engine should have more ass to it.

#metoo. Great read kowboy!!!!

Thank you sir!!!!

I really enjoyed reading about your adventures!

But I'm a little confused about some of the details surrounding the engine that was in the Jeep. I never knew that Arrington was ever located in NC. As I bought a 426ci (bored and stroked 6.1L) HEMI from Arrington Performance back in 2010. To my knowledge, they were already located in Martinsville, VA at that time. In 2011, I hauled a buddy of mines Challenger from TX to their shop in VA. I got the full tour while I was there, very nice place! Anyways, good luck with the new engine. I'm sure you'll be happy with it though.

Sounds like we're talkin' 'bout the same shop. Perhaps my source for the info is wrong 'bout the NC part of it. Rest of info on the engines is accurate.

Oh yeah, btw. I got to thinking about the 5.7L heads that were on your old motor......if they were newer "5.7L Eagle" heads then they might have been a better option as far as a factory head goes depending on when the engine was built. The 09+ Eagle heads have a smaller combustion chamber than earlier 5.7L heads and flow just as well as a 6.1L factory head. So that of course raises your compression ratio. But having any factory 5.7L cam in it us absolute bullshit!

You'll be on your second engine before I fire mine up for the first time. That's sad.

Hopefully we'll both have 'em runnin' in January sir. :smokin:

Mine in January 2021. :grinpimp:

And yours in January 2023. :flipoff2:

But having any factory 5.7L cam in it us absolute bullshit!

The entire build was bullshit sir. Remember, SEMA is just another 4-letter word we need to teach kids not to use.

So engine's on order.

Unfortunately, I'm bein' told there's actu'ly folks that don't work on Christmas or New Years so engine prob'ly won't make it to Cheyenne till after the first of the year.

So will you be getting rid of some of that wiring in the engine compartment? Look like there is still quite a bit.

Top Back Refresh