What's new

Jeep formerly known as 'The Turd'

So where they have that line of drilled holes is where they welded in the braces?

That is correct.

That's some good updates right there !

I've become quite the expert on documentin' other folks' work on my junk. :grinpimp:

For example ...

Door's done been primered.

20220308_Primed.jpg

Ain't sure if'n he got it sprayed yella last night or not. If not, might be tomorrow 'fore I can pick it up.

All good. :smokin:

I see a finger print. Start over.:flipoff2:

Too late ... ain't there no more. :grinpimp:

yellar, yellar it is

Funny how the paint supply store still calls it out by its original Chrysler name ... 'Stinger Yellow'. They don't fuck with all the name changes afterwards.

Here's the internal bracin' ...

20220309_Braces.jpg

You're lookin' inside the door from the front to the rear. The daylight in the back is for the door latch. There's 3 angle irons runnin' parallel to the ground (only 2 in the pic) and a brace from the top angle iron over to the inner shell. Fucker's solid as a rock when ya close it. All good.

Reassembled ...

20220310_Done.jpg

Went and fetched 'er yesterday after work and brought 'er home. :beer:

When I bought 'er 7 years ago, the 'to do' list had one item on it ...

Unfuck ev'rythang that's fucked.

I had no idea at the time how quickly that list would become really, really fuckin' long. Quite frankly, it's been a mother-fuckin', money-suckin' nightmare filled with a butt-load of regrets and disappointments. :shaking:

But I repeatedly vowed never to give up ... and now she's truly bad-ass. And that list is back down to one item ...

Fix the stereo.

But that's gonna have to wait a bit.

I smell a roadtrip comin' on Folks. :bounce: :beer: :bounce:

Looking good.

So on the passenger side they just used a panel adhesive to stick the angle irons in there?

I'd be tempted to do this on my half doors. These things are flimsy as fuck.

Enjoy the road trip:beer:

That's right Kevin.

I'd certainly recommend givin' 'em a good look-see and doin' a lil' somethin' to beef 'em up.

And thanks.

I’ve always said a road trip should be ev’ry bit as much about the journey as the destination. So gotta establish some basic ground rules ...

NO INTERSTATES.

No chain hotels or chain restaurants. (Except for a Waffle House. Sure as fuck ain’t nuthin’ wrong with a Waffle House waffle for breakfast.) And anything resemblin’ food bought at a gas station is fair game.

Just ain’t no need to be drivin’ more than 5 hun’erd miles in a day ... or a hun’erd miles without stoppin’ for somethin’ ... or after dark.

Be a damned shame to pass up a bar … or run outta Coors in the cooler.

But when a man travels alone on backroads, without spare parts … or the gumption to try fixin’ somethin’ that’s broke … that fella best be expectin’ to be broke the fuck down somewheres waitin’ for the cavalry to arrive. Could become sort of survival-type situation right quick. Be damned foolish not to be prepared for such an event.

Gotta have a survival plan ...

20220313_Survival gear.jpg

Reckon I can survive for a good bit sittin’ in my chair with a case of Coors and a box of Nilla Wafers.

Headin’ out in the mornin’ …

I’ve always said a road trip should be ev’ry bit as much about the journey as the destination. So gotta establish some basic ground rules ...

NO INTERSTATES.

No chain hotels or chain restaurants. (Except for a Waffle House. Sure as fuck ain’t nuthin’ wrong with a Waffle House waffle for breakfast.) And anything resemblin’ food bought at a gas station is fair game.

Just ain’t no need to be drivin’ more than 5 hun’erd miles in a day ... or a hun’erd miles without stoppin’ for somethin’ ... or after dark.

Be a damned shame to pass up a bar … or run outta Coors in the cooler.

But when a man travels alone on backroads, without spare parts … or the gumption to try fixin’ somethin’ that’s broke … that fella best be expectin’ to be broke the fuck down somewheres waitin’ for the cavalry to arrive. Could become sort of survival-type situation right quick. Be damned foolish not to be prepared for such an event.

Gotta have a survival plan ...

20220313_Survival gear.jpg

Reckon I can survive for a good bit sittin’ in my chair with a case of Coors and a box of Nilla Wafers.

Headin’ out in the mornin’ …
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yes ... headlights are fixed.

Meanwhile ...

20220315_Back again.jpg

Denial can be an overwhelmin' force. When ya want somethin' so bad that you stupidly ignore the red flags sayin' it just ain't gonna fuckin' happen.

I REALLY wanted to go on a road trip today.

She ran great for a week or so after I got 'er out of the shop last time. Pulled strong all the way up to 5000 rpm and clocked a tank of gas at 9.5 mpg. Then she started spittin' and sputterin' some at 4500 rpm. And the rpm's just kept creepin' down when she'd act up. 4000, 3500. 3000.

But all was good below 3 grand so if'n I took it easy ... all was good. Time to head to Texas.

Then yesterday on my way home from work, she sputtered at 2500. Fuck.

Filled 'er up at the gas station in advance of the road trip ... and clocked that tank at 7 mpg. Fuck.

Shit just ain't right. Spittin' and sputterin' for 2500 miles at 7 mpg just ain't a viable option.

So called the crew at Stage6 Motorsports yesterday evenin' and gave 'em all the details. Dropped 'er off this mornin'.

They done their research last night and their theory is that the tune is addin' too much fuel based on readin's from the O2 sensor and now the plugs are fouled again. Just runnin' too rich. O2 sensor is brand new. Fellas said they can go into the tune and cut back on the O2 sensor compensation levels. Then yank all the plugs and douche 'em off again.

And all will be good in the world.

And they can do it today.

And I can leave in the mornin'.

We'll see ...

Here's the symbol ... $.

So just got 'er home.

They changed the tune as described earlier and were in the process of yankin' all the plugs for cleanin'. Number 2 cylinder plugs were wet. Bad coil pack.

Installed new coil pack and 2 new plugs.

Now runs really, really strong. Damned-fine decision to delay the trip.

Another hats off to the crew at Stage6 Motorsports! They literally went all-stop in the shop and it was all hands on my jeep to try to get me on the road. Very impressive and much appreciated.

They gave me a spare coil pack and 4 spare plugs for the trip.

Headin' out in the mornin' ...

Leavin’ a day late made me sorta have to re-strategize my game plan some. I know I gotta cover 12 hun’erd miles to get to Mason, TX. And I’ve already done paid for a no-tell/motel room there on Thursday night. So seemed to make sense to up the daily mileage just a tad and cover 6 hun’erd each day. So let it be said … so let it be done.

And here’s a collection of random thoughts and comments … and even a few pics … of what done transpired the last coupla days.

The jeep runs a lot better when all 8 cylinders are firin’. She loves 70 mph. Can lope along all day at 2500 rpm at 200 degrees and 50 lbs of oil pressure.

Right from the get-go, this here trip started out in the rain. Damn good thang I got me some new wiper blades. And no … I didn’t install ‘em myself. Boy down at the Advance Auto Parts done it for free when I bought ‘em there. I reckon that young’un prob’ly had a cock in his mouth within the last 24 hours. But I try not judge folks. And he did do a good job installin’ them wipers.

Sign said ‘Welcome to Georgia’. Next sign said ‘Welcome to Florida’. Third sign said ‘Welcome to Georgia’. I weaved back and forth ‘cross the border for ‘bout a hun’erd miles ‘til the rain let up enough to take a break.

20220316_A_Georgia pines.jpg

I peed right in the middle of the road. Not sure why. Just seemed like the thang to do at the time.

What I seen the most of goin’ down them back country roads of Florida, Georgia, and Alabama … was pine trees. A close second was Dollar General stores.

Most river bridges ya cross on back roads have some sorta lil’ dirt road that circles ‘round under the bridge to get down to the river. Locals use ‘em to fish. Or fuck, judging by a coupla used rubbers. For me, this one on the Sepulga River in Ala-dam-bama was just a nice place to take a break and have a coupla beers.

20220316_B_Sepulga River, AL.jpg

My Gorilla Glass windshield has fended off many an attack thru the years without injury. But she took a helluva hit in Mississippi. Sounded like a gunshot when it hit. And I watched the crack grow for the rest of the trip.

Absolut’ly love me some 2-lane blacktop. Highlights the joy of drivin’ and a sense of freedom. Whenever I see folks on the front porch or out in their yard, I always wave at ‘em. Don’t care what color they are, who they voted for, or even if they prefer 4-door Wranglers … I wave at ‘em. And all of ‘em waved back. Ev’ry single one of ‘em. I’m sure more than a few were wonderin’ who the fucker was in the yella jeep … but they all waved back. And I think that’s pretty cool.

Got right on into Louisiana. Right ‘bout dusk in some lil’ bumfuck town, the biggest fuckin’ 2-door JK I ever seen pulled up next to me at a red light. Damned thang musta been on 44’s … and the body was coupla feet above that. Holy Fuck. And it was quick. Real quick. Not sure what he had for gears or engine, but the turbo whine was screamin’ painfully loud. Lightnin’ fast shiftin’ too. Maybe paddle shifters?? Fucker pulled away from me at several lights. At the last light in town you could see ahead where the road went divided into 4 lanes. Game on son. Now with my 6-speed, manual truck transmission, I ain’t gonna win many drag races. Ev’ry time I shifted, he pulled away lil’ more. By the time I got into 4th, he was a good 3 lengths ahead of me. Reckon we was at ‘bout 70 at the time and I was startin’ to close the gap. Then I seen that monster do the damnest thang. The only way to describe is if’n ya ever been to one of them Mes’kin car shows and seen them lowriders dancin’ their cars with hydraulics. That jeeps’ tires weren’t leavin’ the ground but that body was sure ‘nuf dancin’ round. He was on the brakes hard and tryin’ to keep ‘er on the pavement. Fuckin’ crazy. I went all the way over to the shoulder to give ‘em room and went ahead and hammered thru 2 more gears ‘fore I let off. Just ‘cause I can. Race don’t always go to the quickest. I called it a win. And reached on over into the cooler to get out my trophy.

Called ‘er a day just outside Alexandria. 720 miles.

Yesterday mornin’ was foggy. Like bad, BAD foggy. I ain’t bitchin’ ‘bout not seein’ the scenery … I’m bitchin’ bout not seein’ coupla hun’erd feet of the fuckin’ road in front of me. Damned stressful drivin’. Fuck it … just go fast. Acknowledge the fact that if’n there’s somethin’ in the road, you’re just gonna fuckin’ hit it. Sometimes ya gotta drive with your balls instead of your brain.

It was more than a hun’erd miles of that shit and that put me right on into Texas. Seemed like that fog was startin’ to lift, and then within just a few minutes, fog was gone. Blue skies and sunshine. Jeep’s runnin’ like a raped ape and I’m only 3 hun’erd fifty miles outta Mason. Reach on over into the cooler …

It’s cool that Texas has lil’ picnic areas along her back roads. They make an excellent stoppin’ point to change your fluids. Pee out one beer and then reach on over into the cooler …

20220317_A_TX picnic site.jpg

Found myself on a stretch of 2-lane stuck behind a Dodge Charger with a coupla 18-wheelers ahead of it. They’re all doin’ 60 in a 75 zone. I kept easin’ over into the oncomin’ lane lookin’ for a passin’ opportunity. Many a mile went by but then I seen my chance. Down shifted and matted it. Off we go. And that Charger fell in right behind me. Was doin’ over a hun’erd when I got back in the right lane. And that Charger was right on my ass. I let ‘er ease on back down to 70 and ‘fore long, that Charger went screamin’ on ‘round me. Up the road a piece, I pulled on into a gas station and there was that Charger. Skinny lil’ white boy with a bright red, flat-brimmed ball cap on sideways and britches half way off his ass. With his 3 hun’erd pound black lady friend. Hollered over to me that my jeep was pretty fast and asked what engine I had. So I told ‘im I had a 392. He grinned ear-to-ear and said that’s why he smoked me. ‘Cause he had himself a great big ol’ five seven Hemi. I told ‘im that sure ‘nuf explained it all right. That’s a big ol’ engine for damned sure son. He was so fuckin’ proud you’d of thought I just handin’ ‘im some backstage passes to the Jerry Springer show. But I try not to judge folks. Had me a chuckle as I pulled outta there. And reached on over into the cooler …

Come ‘bout noonday was when I had my first breakdown. Weren’t mechanical mind ya. It was mental. A total fuckin’ loss of will power. I done been starin’ at that damned box of Nilla wafers for a day and half. “That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more.” Emergency rations be damned … I tore into that mother-fucker like it was my girlfriends panties on prom night. Gonna get me some. And I did. Sure ‘nuf love me some Nilla wafers. And I reached on over into the cooler …

Now I’m right good at cypherin’ me out some logistics. And it weren’t lookin’ like I had me ‘nuf beer to get all the way to Mason. Fuck. Gonna have to stop and buy me some. Mize well hit a bar or two.

20220317_B_Reverend Jims Dam Pub.jpg

Ain’t never been able to pass by the Buchanan Dam without stoppin’ by to give my regards to Reverend Jim. His bartender done got herself knocked up again. But I ain’t been there in a year so least she couldn’t accuse me this time ‘round. Few beers to wet the whistle and back down the road I go.

Just a short drive down to the Granite O in Llano.

20220317_C_Granite O Bar.jpg

Back in the early 60’s there was a huge granite quarry in Llano. Boys worked it non-stop in 3 shifts. Graveyard shift got off a 6 am and there weren’t nowhere to buy a beer. The story goes that a few of ‘em got together and built themselves one. Quarry’s long dried up but the bar’s still goin’ strong. Owner lady’s easy on the eyes and quick with conversation. Few more beers and hit the road for the final 30-mile push. Reach on over into the cooler and grab the last beer.

12 hun’erd miles of most excellent enjoyment.

20220317_D_K2.jpg

And just in time. Slap outta beer and dangerously low on Nilla wafers.

Well? Was all the bs you had to deal with worth it now?

That was back roads all the way?

Glad you're enjoying it.

Glad the ole yeller fucker is finally come around!!

As always enjoy your stories and adventures, thanks for sharing :beer:

This is fucking poetry.

Thank you sir. Kowboy poetry to be exact. :grinpimp:

Well? Was all the bs you had to deal with worth it now?

That was back roads all the way?

Certainly not financially. :eek:

But it sure is fun to drive. :smokin:

And yes ... ain't been on one fuckin' inch of interstate. Just don't care much for 'em.

As always enjoy your stories and adventures, thanks for sharing :beer:

Thank you sir. It's my pleasure.

Done woke up yesterday mornin’ to a stark realization … I needed me some more road miles. And, By Gawd, the Texas Hill Country is the perfect place to rack some up. Maybe even have me a beer or two.

Reckoned the thang to do was to ease on down to Bandera and check out the 11th Street Cowboy Bar. Sort of a legendary place. And I ain’t never even been there. Re-filled the gas tank and the cooler. Giddy-up and go.

On a previous trip, I done showed y’all Paris. Now here’s London …

20220318_A_London Hall.jpg

And London Hall is smack-dab in the center of town. Dance halls like this one are a huge deal in small-town Texas. On Friday and Saturday nights, they’re packed out. Cowboys and cowgirls from ranches miles around all clean the cow shit off their boots and put on clean, starched shirts. Cold beer and a lil’ two-steppin’. And some of the finest bands playin’ live music. Some big names got their start playin’ music on the Texas dance hall circuit. Specializin’ in both types of music … country AND western. Made me thirsty just thinkin’ on it. So reached on over into the cooler …

If’n ya gonna arbitrarily stop on the side of the road somwheres to pee … mize well stop next to an old barn. ‘Cause old barns are cool. Therefore … by association … that makes you cool too.

20220318_B_Old barn.jpg

The twisty, hilly 2-lane roads of the Hill Country never disappoint. Absolute blast to drive on ‘em and beautiful scenery to boot. This overlook was a great place to reach on over into the cooler …

20220318_C_Overlook.jpg

Them roads are quite popular with the sports car folks. And hugely popular with the motor-sickle folks. Pretty impressive when the road itself proudly proclaims how many of ‘em it’s killed. But didn’t mention drinkin’ and drivin’ … so reached on over into the cooler.

20220318_D_Deaths.jpg

Bandera, TX calls itself the ‘Cowboy Capital of the World’. Ain’t really sure about all that, and I know there’s other cities that make the same claim. But I also know there ain’t no denyin’ that there was a helluva lotta beeves run up the Great Western Cattle Trail. All them cattle drives … and that trail … did indeed start in Bandera. Because of that, the history books are full of links from the origins of the humongous Wyomin’ cattle ranches to Bandera. But I ain’t here to herd no fuckin’ cows. I need me a god-damned bar.

20220318_E_Kickback Korner Bar.jpg

This was the first one I seen on Main Street. But after just a few beers, I started gettin’ me an uncomfortable, tourist-joint vibe. So I left.

And walked over a block to 11th Street. Which, by chance, is exactly where the legendary 11th Street Cowboy Bar is.

20220318_F_11th Street Cowboy Bar.jpg

Now that one is a real fuckin’ bar. Don’t let the lil’ storefront fool ya. The place spreads out towards the back and is huge. Big-ass outdoor stage and tables galore. Multiple bars in the back. Reminded me of the biker bars in Daytona Beach. Evidently, they got their own bike deal in these parts and this bar is the place to be. Only a coupla dozen folks there yesterday but I really liked it.

After a good bit, I remembered I’m supposed to be here for a rock-crawlin’ event back up in Mason. Reckon them fuckers won’t miss me a lick. Excuse me … ma’am … can I have another beer please?

And I had too many. Then I drove on back to Mason. Put 280 miles on the jeep. And I’m gonna go ‘head and call it a damned-fine day.

So far it’s been a phenomenal trip. And I coulda done the whole fuckin’ thang in a hybrid Prius. Wouldn’t of looked, or felt, nearly as studly … but coulda done it nevertheless.

Reckon today I’m actu’ly gonna head out to the park and crawl on some rocks. And maybe even have me a beer or two.

You know it’s a damn good sign when ya wake up in the mornin’ and your first thought is …. I get to drive the jeep today! I was so excited in fact, that I done posted up ‘bout 80 mile ‘fore the sun even come up.

Funny thang ‘bout peein’ in front of cows …

20220320_A.jpg

They just stand there and look at ya. On the outside, they present the general air of bein’ totally disint’rested. But ya know damn-well that on the inside they’re laughin’ their ass off at your lil’ pecker.

Ain’t got a clue exactly what crazy, complex set of circumstances would possibly have to happen in order for any of y’all to end up in Rockdale, TX.

But if’n ya do … for gawds sake … do yourself a huge favor and treat yourself to breakfast at Lee’s Landing.

20220320_B_Lees Landing.jpg

This here massive plate of grub was perfectly cooked. And it only cost me 10 bucks.

20220320_C_Breakfast.jpg

I done cleared them plates and then didn’t eat a damned thang the rest of the day. That’s good livin’ right there.

Anytime I know I’m fixin’ to drive all day long, my goal is to not commence drinkin’ beer ‘til after noonday. While that’s certainly an admirable goal … I rarely achieve it. And yesterday weren’t no exception.

Ya ever notice that some folks just ain’t got no int’rest in passin’ other folks on a 2-lane road? Some old codger drivin’ a rusted out square body with broke down lookin’ lawnmowers in the bed and towin’ a trailer full of assorted old appliances chooses to ease along at 55. Speed limit’s 75 mind ya. And folks just pile up 3 or 4 deep behind ‘im. Got no intention of passin’. But yet they tailgate each other so there ain’t no chance in hell of passin’ them fuckers one at a time. Wonder what they’re thinkin’ when they see a bright yella jeep on 40’s go screamin’ by the whole lot of ‘em at triple-digit speeds. I just don’t know.

What a great day of weather for a roadtrip. I swear I never even seen a single cloud in the sky. Nothin’ but blue skies, sunshine, and perfect temps.

Done rolled thru ‘bout 7 hun’erd miles to Laurel, MS.

Fixin’ to hit it again now and head ‘er right on back to the White Trash Trailer Park.

Such a badass trip report !

You need to write a book.

That was the perfect breakfast right there. Even had biscuits and gravy :smokin:

Hows the Jeep been treating ya? Still got the spare plugs and coils?

Such a badass trip report !

You need to write a book.

Thank you sir ... and reckon this here is my book. I follow the advice of Hemmingway when it comes to writin' ... write drunk and edit sober. So I write all this shit when I'm drunk in the evenin's and then proofread, edit, and post it up in the mornin'.

Thank you sir.

Hows the Jeep been treating ya? Still got the spare plugs and coils?

Most excellent sir. Y'all know I don't carry spare parts with me and I was seriously concerned that changin' that might jinx me. But all is good and I can return them now.

Meanwhile ... Y’all knew this was comin’ …

20220321_A_Waffle House.jpg

Then stopped at the gas station ‘cross the street to refill the gas and beer. Spent a painful amount of time tryin’ to scrape at least half the fuckin’ varmits off my windshield.

Reckon it was ‘bout mid-mornin’ when I pulled over here to pop open the days’ first beer.

20220321_B_Rest stop.jpg

And that’s when it hit me like a ton of bricks ...

I do love passin’ folks on the 2-lanes. I find the level of acceleration and handlin’ this rig’s got to be intensely satisfyin’. But that’s just gonna make the trip end sooner. I don’t want that. Not at all. So back on the road and didn’t pass nary another soul. Barely even ran the speed limit most of the time. Just easin’ along drinkin’ some beer. Enjoyin' yet another glorious weather day of blue skies and sunshine.

But despite my final efforts, the trip did end. Am I happy ‘bout it? No. No. And fuck no.

The problem is … “I Was Born ‘Neath a Wanderin’ Star”

[Editor’s Note: A song sung superbly by Lee Marvin in the musical-comedy-western movie titled “Paint Your Wagon”. Hands down, best movie ever made. Google it.]

I swear … if’n by some fuckin’ miracle I actu’ly live long enough to retire … all I wanna do is drive ‘round and drink beer. But I’m gonna have my own bed. Ain’t much on hotels.

Some summary items …

Covered 2,695.3 miles of back-country roads in 6 days. Tires never touched an interstate highway. 5 days on the road, 1 day on the rocks. In my opinion, the jeep did really good on all of ‘em.

Done bought 247 gallons of premium fuel. One station had 91 octane premium, all the rest had 93. So that means I averaged 10.9 mpg for the trip. High tank clocked at 12.6 mpg and the low tank was 8.6 mpg. This tank involved playin’ on the rocks.

Spent a total of $1,162.72 for the gas. So that means the average for the premium fuel was $4.71 a gallon. Highest was $5.20 in Grove Hill, AL and the lowest was $4.50 in Leesville, LA.

And drank LOTS of beer.

Issues that need to be addressed:

Windshield is now cracked most the way across. Gonna have to replace.

Developed a small oil drip somewheres on the engine. I hate oil drips. Gotta get located and fixed.

New throttle cable is phenomenal on the rocks. Instant throttle ‘on’. But the subsequent throttle ‘off’ isn’t quite instant. That’s in the tune and we thought mite have to tweak. We do.

Some kind of tune issue right at 1500 rpm. Can drive at no throttle at 1000 rpm. Can drive at some throttle at 1800 rpm. Just can’t quite get it to run steady with just a bit of throttle at 1500 rpm. No spittin’ and sputterin’ like before but just can’t get it to hold there. Strange.

Windshield light bar quit workin’. Again.

And of course … still need to fix the stereo.

Considerin’ all I been thru with this damned thang in the last 7 years, I consider these to be minor issues. A hugely successful trip that I tremendously enjoyed.

THE END. (Of the trip report)

Last edited:
I will concur with the Paint Your Wagon movie. I'm going to have to find it and watch it again soon. You have Clint Eastwood singing in that one too.

Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin did their own singing. Marvin's recording of the song "Wanderin' Star" went to number one on the U.K. charts, earning him a gold record. Lee Marvin was apparently drunk nearly every day of filming.

And of course the next trip is scheduled when?

Top Back Refresh