What's new

Jeep formerly known as 'The Turd'

After commutin' to work for a week, went ahead and dropped 'er back off at the shop yesterday for a lil' tweakin'.

Cranks too many times 'fore she fires off. Used to be like an electric motor ... hit the start button and it was runnin.'

Discovered a lil' tick at 3500 rpm in any gear. Can't really feel it but you can hear a slight disturbance in the exhaust tone and a flitter in the tach. Mite be nuthin'.

Estimate my gas mileage was about 7 so want them to confirm she ain't runnin' too rich again.

And I need my headlights to work.

But all-in-all , a wonderful week of commutin'. Took me a day or so to get used to the throttle cable but I'm real happy with it and look forward to crawlin' some rocks next month. Low rpm performance is excellent. I idled outta the White Trash Trailer Park at 5 mph just as purdy as ya please.

And it was damned nice to just be shiftin' gears again. Greatly enhances the drivin' experience.

I was going to ask about the throttle cable.................but I see you read my mind.Does the exhaust smell like gas? Sounds like it could be running a little rich.

Glad you got to enjoy it.

What's it putting out at the wheels?

Exhaust has always stunk since we pulled the catalytic converters a while back. Not sure if'n it's really a gas smell tho.

She put 330 to the ground.

Thanks ... she runs strong. Basic'ly same power the stroker Hemi had but should be more reliable, last longer ,,, and it don't burn no oil. :grinpimp:

Picked 'er up again today ...

20220216_Done_again.jpg

She was sittin' next to a yella Ferrari.

Ain't sure I ever seen a yella Ferrari. But the owner sure liked my yella jeep. :grinpimp:

So let's review:

Cranks too many times 'fore she fires off. Used to be like an electric motor ... hit the start button and it was runnin.'

Better now for sure. Adjusted the fuel mappin' program for the hot and cold start. Evidently, the Holley system picks up sensors from the crank and the cam as she cranks before she fires off. Not as fast as before, but definitely better. All good.

Discovered a lil' tick at 3500 rpm in any gear. Can't really feel it but you can hear a slight disturbance in the exhaust tone and a flitter in the tach. Mite be nuthin'.

And the computer showed other lil' ticks too boot. Evidently, they had so many dyno runs tryin' to cypher out the previous issues (which ended up bein' a bad ground wire) ... that it fouled the plugs a bit. Removed all 16 plugs and cleaned with some sorta high-fallutin' spray shit and re-installed plugs. All good.

Estimate my gas mileage was about 7 so want them to confirm she ain't runnin' too rich again.

Leaned out the mixture a bit to account for the low rpm stop-and-go traffic drivin'. I'll clock the next full tank to check the status.

And I need my headlights to work.

Found a loose somethin'-or-other and fixed it. All good.

So she seems to be totally fixed after a few miles today. Gonna drive 'er to work this week and see how she does. :smokin:

That's great!. Has to be a weight off your shoulders.

It's sure 'nuf nice to have 'er back sir. I been fightin' this sum-bitch for nigh on 7 years now and this is as close as she's ever been to bein' right.

Well shit, you're done.

Now what?:flipoff2:

Not quite done yet sir ... but the "to-do" list is gettin' mighty fuckin' short. :smokin:

Gonna just drive 'er this week to see how she does. If'n all good, then next stop is a paint shop. The driver's door has gotta be squirted again.

20220217_door paint.jpg

Y'all know I think door locks on half doors is as stupid as screen doors on submarines. So I done had mine removed and smoothed over when the streetrod shop painted 'er back in the day.

Who'd of fuckin' thunk that the worthless lil' key cylinder actu'ly provided support to the the flimsy-ass sheet metal on the fact'ry half doors?? Without 'em, the outer skin of the door has flexed so much it's busted up the purdy yella paint.

My solution is to pull off the metal inner door panels and epoxy some thick sheet metal to the inside of the outer skin to beef 'er up and then re-paint. Done the same trick to the roof of an old streetrod I painted a hun'erd years ago. Gonna do the same on the passenger side door to boot even tho ain't got the same issue just yet 'cause nobody ever rides with me. So no need to re-paint that one.

Please say roadtrip... 😎

Depart on March 15th.

Roadtrip past Kevins, maybe do a couple of donuts around his shop.

Not a bad idea ... :idea:

Well, if, for whatever unknown reason, you make it to Commiefornia I have cold beer and whiskey if you wanna stop by.

I picked up a set of these stainless handles a while back. They're pretty cool.

Very nice sir. Perfect bling for a buggy. :flipoff2:

Too shiny for The Turd tho.

Well, if, for whatever unknown reason, you make it to Commiefornia I have cold beer and whiskey if you wanna stop by.

I hate to think somethin' went so wrong in my life that I'd have to be in Cali again ... but thanks for the offer. :beer:

So a solid, most-enjoyable week of commutin' to work. No issues to report. None.

Clocked the tank of gas at 9.1 mpg.

Which is almost 9.5.

Which could then be rounded up to 10.

Which is double digits! :grinpimp:

Drove down to Stage6 Motorsports just to report that all is well ... and pick up all the parts that came off:

20220222_Leftovers.jpg

Reckon the only thang of value is the stock alternator. Rest is just trash.

Gotta line on a local paint shop. Gonna swing by tomorrow after work to check 'em out.

It's just good to have 'er home again ...

20220222_fire.jpg

Found out yesterday that my yella jeep is in fact fuckin' yella.

'Hella Yella' to be exact. :lmao:

When I had it painted in 2018, the PYV paint code was a fact'ry Wrangler color named Baja Yellow. There was some confusion at the paint shop 'cause they had it listed as Stinger Yellow. Turns out, it's the same color just a dif'rent name.

Now I learn that in 2019 the paint code name changed again to Hellayella.

And in 2020 a slight dif'rence to Hella Yella.

20220224_Paint code.jpg

Just some trivia for y'all to toss around at your next cocktail party. :beer:

Dude at the paint shop I went to yesterday was rude. And there ain't no cause for poor manners. So fuck 'im.

Got another line on another shop I'll check out on Tuesday when I'm off work next.

So dropped 'er off this mornin' with Will at Q-1 Kustomz in Kingsland, GA. Really nice guy. Only 'bout 25 miles north of the White Trash Trailer Park.

Don't judge a book by the cover. I've been told there's magic that happens in this very nondescript buildin'.

We'll see ...

20220301_Deliver.jpg

And in preparation for my road trip in a coupla weeks, done had some whiskey shipped in. UPS label gave me chuckle ...

20220301_Label.jpg

Coarse it was just sittin' on the porch when I got home from the paint shop. :shaking:

'The Good Stuff' ... Templeton Rye Whiskey outta Indiana. Single barrel and aged 10 years. Gonna be a good trip ...

20220301_Whiskey.jpg

I dunno what happened. Tried to embed and it didn't work. I know you know the tune, but a new band for you to add to your road tune repoir

Unless you're makin' a mold for a buggy hood, just ain't no future in a half inch of fuckin' bondo ...

20220307_Bondo.jpg

So when Signature Customs up in Cheyenne did the metal work to close up the bullshit key cylinder hole, they overheated the thin-ass fact'ry sheetmetal and warped it. Then they didn't bother to shrink it back tight. They just bondoed the hell out of it. The metal would still flex and .pop in and out ... causin' the thick-ass bondo to crack ... along with the yella paint. Mystery solved.

Damned hard to believe considerin' the unbelievable metalwork that the crew did on the rest of the jeep. Not only the hand-built Million-Dollar Tailgate, but the insane rear flares, the inner door panels, and rear floorboard to boot. But the facts are there.

So I sent the picture to Jesse and called 'im out on it.

He couldn't believe it either. Admitted he weren't there when the doors were done so no QC check on his crew. He was pissed. He knows that his name's on the shop door tho and he offered to cover the repair costs. I thought that was a stand-up move right there. :smokin:

Jesse done me right on this rig and I ain't gonna take 'em up on his offer. But I did make it clear he owes me a case of Coors next time I'm in town. :beer:

Meanwhile ... back at Q-1 Kustomz ...

Will shrunk the metal tight again. Then went in and braced the fuck outta the door by weldin' lil' angle iron pieces across the panel and braced to the inner shell. I got a cool video from 'im showin' the set up but I can't post it up. Tryin' to get normal pics 'fore he seals the door back up.

Also braced up the passenger door with the same design but used that 3M panel glue shit to hold it in so didn't burn thru the good paint.

Now both doors are rock solid.

20220307_Metal prepped.jpg

Wrapped up the body work last night and gonna spray it yella today. Used one of them camera deals like ya see on the hotrod tee-vee shows to get an exact color match. Said gonna have to add a coupla drops of white to match the fade of the yella. Says yella and orange are the hardest colors to match.

Bottom line ...

Pick the bitch up tomorrow. :grinpimp:

So where they have that line of drilled holes is where they welded in the braces?

Pretty sure there's spots with bondo thicker than a half inch on my hood:flipoff2:

That's some good updates right there !

Top Back Refresh