What's new

Java's F450 RV

9.5 to 10 if I stay at 70 or less. Got 10.1 on the last tank, but lots of 55-60.

For reference, I had a 2008 F450 v10 4x4 flatbed with 5.38s. It got 9mpg at 70 (3k rpm) regardless if it was loaded or not. That truck ran great. The people I sold it to report the same, its abused every day and takes it. Wish I could find another.

I love my diesels, but I would 100% go to a C&C gasser for this application.

For reference, I had a 2008 F450 v10 4x4 flatbed with 5.38s. It got 9mpg at 70 (3k rpm) regardless if it was loaded or not. That truck ran great. The people I sold it to report the same, its abused every day and takes it. Wish I could find another.

I love my diesels, but I would 100% go to a C&C gasser for this application.
I had a v10 winnebago before this. 8mpg no matter what.

Not saying I wouldn't do gas again, but I have put 60k miles on this thing already.

OK pressurized the rad to 16 psi. No leaks..... Wtf. Do. I just start ripping into it?

Wife said I'm an idiot. It's getting pulled. Man there is a lot of shit in the way.

20220604_172813.jpg

20220604_182914.jpg

Boost leak?
20220604_182930.jpg

CAC pipes always seem to have this oil trail no matter the engine.

What was the deal again radiator was leaking? I don't envy you on this one.

CAC pipes always seem to have this oil trail no matter the engine.

What was the deal again radiator was leaking? I don't envy you on this one.
Just that one? Idk, that's the only oil trail I see.

One of the end caps Is leaking (drivers side). Not much but here we are. I don't want to be in the middle of butt fuck nowhere when it let's go.

Almost ready to pull rad.

Just that one? Idk, that's the only oil trail I see.

One of the end caps Is leaking (drivers side). Not much but here we are. I don't want to be in the middle of butt fuck nowhere when it let's go.

Almost ready to pull rad.
Yeah you are doing the right thing.

OK what else should I replace while in here. I'm thinking all idlers and serp belt. T stats?

I've always had older water pumps die once they sat dry for a few days, while you're there...

I bought a WP, t stats, idlers and tensioner.

I can't get the fucking fan off.
Leave the belts on, very large crescent wrench and slap the handle with a 2 lb sledge hammer.

I can't remember the thread direction, look that up.

Leave the belts on, very large crescent wrench and slap the handle with a 2 lb sledge hammer.

I can't remember the thread direction, look that up.
It's off. Belt didn't do shit. Bent the crap out of a punch, some bar stock, nada.

Chain wrench vise grips!

And left hand thread if people look in the future....

20220605_162800.jpg

It's off. Belt didn't do shit. Bent the crap out of a punch, some bar stock, nada.

Chain wrench vise grips!

And left hand thread if people look in the future....

20220605_162800.jpg
I see dry threads/no penetrating oil? :confused:🤔

Being an impatient mechanic nOOB; I soak whatever I'm going to unbolt at least a day+ with the *homebrew (ATF/acetone) before attempting.
To date; the ultimate test for me was the factory pitman arm:
1654523736891.png

Broke the first puller/ordered this puller.

Started soaking the sector shaft for days with said homebrew while I waited for the new puller to arrive.
Puller arrived/applied said puller/continued soaking said sector shaft.
After about an hour of slowly tightening puller bolt and pitman arm not budging :mad3:, decided Plan-B, leave it on/tighten said bolt every few hours.
24 hours later, almost to the minute, said factory pitman arm finally slipped off.

According to full size Bronco lore; that is an exceptional feat.:smokin::laughing:

*35%ATF fluid/65%acetone fluid
THEE best oil penetrator. PERIOD!

I see dry threads/no penetrating oil? :confused:🤔

Being an impatient mechanic nOOB; I soak whatever I'm going to unbolt at least a day+ with the *homebrew (ATF/acetone) before attempting.
To date; the ultimate test for me was the factory pitman arm:
1654523736891.png

Broke the first puller/ordered this puller.

Started soaking the sector shaft for days with said homebrew while I waited for the new puller to arrive.
Puller arrived/applied said puller/continued soaking said sector shaft.
After about an hour of slowly tightening puller bolt and pitman arm not budging :mad3:, decided Plan-B, leave it on/tighten said bolt every few hours.
24 hours later, almost to the minute, said factory pitman arm finally slipped off.

According to full size Bronco lore; that is an exceptional feat.:smokin::laughing:

*35%ATF fluid/65%acetone fluid
THEE best oil penetrator. PERIOD!
It was just a matter of trying to hold the damn thing from spinning. It wasn't all that tight.

I'm thinking run it till it's dead. But the rad started leaking on the way home today...
Out of curiosity, did you observe the leak over time at all before you replaced the rad? Or were you able to plainly see that it was leaking from the seam there?

I ask because I have a very intermittent leak from the same area on my truck. Sometimes after a quick trip to the store I'll notice a little puddle under the drivers side after parking it. Sometimes a hard day of driving in 90*+ weather and nothing comes out. Recently after a week of sitting unused in the driveway and walking by it every day, I come out and there is a big old puddle.

I'm fairly certain it's coming from the tank seam, but even washing/drying it and observing, I can't say for sure it's coming from there, or elsewhere and thats just the path it is taking as it drips. Is it common or heard of for those tank seals to fail intermittently like that, and with no visible signs? It's not that I'm too cheap to just replace the radiator (well, ok that's mostly why I haven't yet :laughing:) but I'm also just not the type to throw parts and labor at things for fun, without reasonably believing it's going to fix the problem.

Out of curiosity, did you observe the leak over time at all before you replaced the rad? Or were you able to plainly see that it was leaking from the seam there?

I ask because I have a very intermittent leak from the same area on my truck. Sometimes after a quick trip to the store I'll notice a little puddle under the drivers side after parking it. Sometimes a hard day of driving in 90*+ weather and nothing comes out. Recently after a week of sitting unused in the driveway and walking by it every day, I come out and there is a big old puddle.

I'm fairly certain it's coming from the tank seam, but even washing/drying it and observing, I can't say for sure it's coming from there, or elsewhere and thats just the path it is taking as it drips. Is it common or heard of for those tank seals to fail intermittently like that, and with no visible signs? It's not that I'm too cheap to just replace the radiator (well, ok that's mostly why I haven't yet :laughing:) but I'm also just not the type to throw parts and labor at things for fun, without reasonably believing it's going to fix the problem.

No I just noticed it on the last trip, obvious drip from the DS bottom corner. It just 1.5-2" coolant from the degas bottle over a couple hundred miles. So pretty minimal. But for how I use the truck, I did not want to risk it being fatal in the middle of nowhere. Last trip was 3 days of driving with zero cell service....

Google told me that corner by the petcock is the most common spot for it to start.

No cavitation in the WP, but it looks like the impellers rubbed a bit?

52126193350_0c5f503d45_b.jpg

Last edited:
Not to scare you but I have given more thought about these rubber bits in years past. We have a excavator that will overheat from a missing 2"x4" strip of foam across the top of the core to hood interface.
Just anecdotal info for yah.
:stirthepot:

Top Back Refresh