What's new

Installing a used 1/4million mile transmission....

Shit, I would rock either of those as Yard Art / Emergency Transportation.:laughing:

We grew up with a 75 LUV, that thing was a blast. Gas Isuzu though, Funky dual wheel cylinder brakes.
Wasn't a 75 drum in the front too? The gas Isuzu engines of that era were the epitome of head gasket-blowing nippo trash, but if you could keep a head sealed they were okay... until the rust monster devoured them:laughing:

I dont think i have ever drove something with drums in the front
Current '65 scout is front drum. Stops on a dime, but I did overhaul it a few years ago. Have a '74 W200 that way but I swapped in a later axle, mainly because my oldest will be driving it in a few years. Brothers W200 snow plow truck is still rocking the drums, as well as his W100. Keep them up they ain't bad, but let an issue go... they get sketchy. much more so than front disk IMO

Wasn't a 75 drum in the front too? The gas Isuzu engines of that era were the epitome of head gasket-blowing nippo trash, but if you could keep a head sealed they were okay... until the rust monster devoured them:laughing:
Drum all around, And we rolled it, cut the top off, welded a new windshield frame and had mom sew us a Bimini and a custom ass tailgate net from a hunk of cargo netting, we were rocking tailgate nets and convertible pickups in the late 70's

Had mom sewing them up for all my buddies.:flipoff2::flipoff2:

Torsion bars cranked to the upper limits, and 15" Toyota wheels with a welded diff, we thought we were the coolest kids around me and my little brother.:homer::homer:

Drum all around, And we rolled it, cut the top off, welded a new windshield frame and had mom sew us a Bimini and a custom ass tailgate net from a hunk of cargo netting, we were rocking tailgate nets and convertible pickups in the late 70's

Had mom sewing them up for all my buddies.:flipoff2::flipoff2:

Torsion bars cranked to the upper limits, and 15" Toyota wheels with a welded diff, we thought we were the coolest kids around me and my little brother.:homer::homer:
That thing sounds sweet!

One of the reasons I moved on to Toyota's is every upgrade I could think of to a LUV ended up at Toyota parts. Eventually I came to the conclusion I should just start with a Toyota:homer:

That thing sounds sweet!

One of the reasons I moved on to Toyota's is every upgrade I could think of to a LUV ended up at Toyota parts. Eventually I came to the conclusion I should just start with a Toyota:homer:
yup, with the the torsion bars cranked every driveway with the slightest hump got me air born with little effort, and railroad tracks were a new kind of fun.

I went to Toyotas cause I didnt have the skill to make the LUV 4wd and was tired of the rev limiter to get where my friends could go

yup, with the the torsion bars cranked every driveway with the slightest hump got me air born with little effort, and railroad tracks were a new kind of fun.
Diesel LUVs taught me several lessons about vehicles. With the rear breaks non-op (just plugged them as I got tired of rusty brake lines and (at the time) expensive and hard-to-get parts) it was super easy to put on a smoke show with 58hp. Made spinning tires not very impressive so I never felt the need to 'show off' that way. With weight in the back and any kind of tread on the tires that fucker would tackle any mud road you dared put it on (only ever had 2wd LUVS for the first few I owned). Made teenage 'dirt road wheeling' unimpressive and bored me with mud (well, that and fighting it farming and going on service calls in the middle of a muddy field). Made me really gravitate toward wheeling in a more technical way. I'll still play in the mud on occasion, but it better be more difficult than what a 2wd long bed LUV could do when I was 16 and had no skill or sense. Also, jacked the torsion bars up on every one until they stopped. Due to strain and rust I had to fab some new keys as I kept folding them:laughing:

Diesel LUVs taught me several lessons about vehicles. With the rear breaks non-op (just plugged them as I got tired of rusty brake lines and (at the time) expensive and hard-to-get parts) it was super easy to put on a smoke show with 58hp. Made spinning tires not very impressive so I never felt the need to 'show off' that way. With weight in the back and any kind of tread on the tires that fucker would tackle any mud road you dared put it on (only ever had 2wd LUVS for the first few I owned). Made teenage 'dirt road wheeling' unimpressive and bored me with mud (well, that and fighting it farming and going on service calls in the middle of a muddy field). Made me really gravitate toward wheeling in a more technical way. I'll still play in the mud on occasion, but it better be more difficult than what a 2wd long bed LUV could do when I was 16 and had no skill or sense. Also, jacked the torsion bars up on every one until they stopped. Due to strain and rust I had to fab some new keys as I kept folding them:laughing:
Fun times,

:smokin::smokin:

Best mud anything is a rental. I dare anyone to disagree. :flipoff2:
If your reffering in any way to the topic of the thread, Thumper isn't a mud rig in any way. By getting in the woods, I mean northern Adirondaci forest roads getting my to trail heads and campsites.i.e. I need groubnd clearance, but not necessarily 4WD

The closest to mud I came was year ago when attended a campout with the Jeep club. Google maps lead me into a trail that I nearly got swamped as the address I had was wrong, then waterlogged the air filter the next day trying to follow the Wranglers on a trail that was a lot wetter than normal.

If your reffering in any way to the topic of the thread, Thumper isn't a mud rig in any way. By getting in the woods, I mean northern Adirondaci forest roads getting my to trail heads and campsites.i.e. I need groubnd clearance, but not necessarily 4WD

The closest to mud I came was year ago when attended a campout with the Jeep club. Google maps lead me into a trail that I nearly got swamped as the address I had was wrong, then waterlogged the air filter the next day trying to follow the Wranglers on a trail that was a lot wetter than normal.
What's Thumper?

The Jeep that is the subject of this thread...

Aaron Z
Yup.....

The first time I changed the trans, was chasing down a thump, every time I let off the gas ~30mph. Changed everything from the transmission to rear axle in search of that thump, after finding potential causes in each part. After about 2 years, I finally found the source..... A ring of rust on the TV cable under the Jeep, binding it up momentarily when I let off the gas. Figured that was the Jeep telling me it's name.

All these words and not one pic of the jeep:flipoff2:
I think this may be the last time I took the Jeep truly offroad(2018), Should have taken the detour around this obstacle.
thumper2.jpg

Nothing wrong with keeping a beater to get you out of a jam. Lots of guys do. It will save yer ass
Problem is the yards already got too many decorations being used for storage. 8 off the road vehicles that don't run. Only 1 really has the chance to run, if we can ever figure out whats wrong with it('94 Firebird V6).... Another of our sisters cars, Our mechanic brother did a bunch of engine work, down into the timing cover and top end of the engine, and it never ran again. I pulled it apart myself, as he insisted the timing chain must be a tooth off and still couldn't figure it out Misfired like crazy initially, now won't run at all.

Well thats not as gay as I thought it was going to be :flipoff2:

Problem is the yards already got too many decorations being used for storage. 8 off the road vehicles that don't run. Only 1 really has the chance to run, if we can ever figure out whats wrong with it('94 Firebird V6).... Another of our sisters cars, Our mechanic brother did a bunch of engine work, down into the timing cover and top end of the engine, and it never ran again. I pulled it apart myself, as he insisted the timing chain must be a tooth off and still couldn't figure it out Misfired like crazy initially, now won't run at all.

Why are they still there? scrap that shit

Steve300xcw

Guess your post didn't show up but I see it in my email.

Definitely not a homosexual rig. Kept near stock as it's a daily, and stock keeps it reliable. Modifications are to improve function for my usage, i.e. 2" lift so I can walk under the rear lift gate without hitting my head. Roof lights are so I can see deer on the edges of the road while driving at night, as the local deer population likes to hang out in the ditches, then jump in front of passing vehicles.

Only 1 is mine(complete vehicle that is.... There is a Ranger cab out back I've got some stashed in, and a bunch of the rest is in my fathers scrap piles, which hasn't been hauled off yet(i.e. I'm building a trans Jack adapter before I pull the trans again, and the pivot will be a cut off front axle spindle from that truck,) which is the donor for this replacement trans. Once I get this situation dealt with enough that I have spare time, it'll be hitting the scrap pile. I'll likely have to give it away, already being stripped.

How manny coast's are there?
Left, Right, and southern...
How is ZooYork a fourth?

What year Ranger?

Still got the frame kicking around?
'87. Frame was the issue, and was cut up into a number of pieces years before I tore apart the rest. Made up wood frame rail extensions to locate the rear axle just behind the cab as a preservation of the good parts/storage mechanism. I'd hoped to find a Bronco 2 frame to put it on.

Before I bought the Jeep this thread is about, one of the vehicles I looked at was a partially restored Bronco 2. BNy partially restored, the meant rolled, with a shotgun hole in the roof,lots of bondo, and an XJ tailgate. T\hink I pissed off the seller by saying I wasn't looking for a project. Later hear it's been traded for an S10, ands the new owner brought it to a coworker asking to rebuild it. Coworker explained that it was well beyonbd repair other than a parts donor for a body/frame swap.

Last edited:
That's a shame. I need a rusted out (or not) single cab frame rail to make a jig out of.

That's a shame. I need a rusted out (or not) single cab frame rail to make a jig out of.
This one was a single cab long bed. Bought the truck after looking at in the dark for $500, if I paid that night. I(ts last trip was with borrowed plates to its final resting place where I realized the rear of the frame was trash, years before I had welding abilities.

Top Back Refresh