What's new

Installing a used 1/4million mile transmission....

Ravenbar

Member Number
Loc
NY
Thumper's('02 Jeep WJ, 4.0l, 42re, nv242) transmission decided to take a dump last week. My daily driver and only vehicle. I don't have a press(no space for one either), so a DIY rebuild isn't an option, and the budget isn't there for a shop to rebuilt it. In regards to a press, I'll be looking into buying one in the future, but I have no space. The only local place I could buy a press is Harbor Freight, and they seem to have discontinued their benchtop press(one would be nice as a press brake).

I've had feelers out for 6 months for a transmission with no luck, and no luck now either. I'm borrowing a car for the time being, but occasionally I can't use that car, as it needs to be elsewhere(sisters extra car my father drives to babysit sisters kid and get him to school, he's been taking our parent only vehicle, but sometimes, my mother needs to take that while he takes the car in opposite directions at the same time I need to go to work in a 3rd direction.)

As all other options have failed, I'm at the point of going with my last ditch, hope and a prayer option, and pulling the trans from the
/4 milion mile parts Jeep I bought 6yrs ago, and can't recall pulling a single usable part from. If this fails, I'll be at a decision point of taking out a 401k loan and either buying another vehicle or taking thumper to the shop for a trans rebuild. Having pulled the trans apart, I didn't find the smoking gun gear damage I expected. I did find a broken OD snapring, and assumed said bit was getting stuck in a gear, resulting in the final symptom of a split second driveline lockup at slightly over 40mph. Other than some pasty grease like substance in the rear drum in the trans, I have found nothing but the snapring piece in the pan, and the same snapring bit missing in the OD unit.

As of yet, I've verified the shifter moves, the TV cable moves freely, park pawl does lock the output shaft, the ATF4 looks blood red, but maybe a little dark. I plan on dropping the pan(mainly in search of metal in thje pan and snapring bits) and a new filter. Considering dropping the pan into a new oil pan, and recycling as much fluid back into the trans when I install it, to alleviate the transmission fluid change results in failure common on old transmissions(due to worn friction material suspended in the fluid helping well worn frictions to survive.) On the parts WJ's last drive to it's final resting place, it experienced some sort of bang noticeable from the following vehicle(bought from my brother, his GF was following for as ride home.) I've never found a cause for the bang, but as the issue Thumper experienced seemed similar, slightly worried I'm installing a transmission with the same issue. If I do find OD ring parts in the pan, I plan on installing the OD unit from a 3rd trans(original to when I bought thumper, figured out it still was good(especially after finding out the following spring that the previous owner, who'd only had it for less than a year had swapped the transmission(One logic I had for Thumpers "thump" being from the trans was receipts I found that had slipped inside the dash, from prior to previous owner, showing the vehicle lived in a mountainous area(northern Adirondacks)), but only after it spent a winter in a snowbank, getting water inside, OD unit shows no sign of water, and if Thumper's issues had been a typical OD snapring failure, I'd have just swapped OD units.) After 2 years, I figured out Thumpers "thump" to be a rust ring on the TV cable unpredictably jamming it up from fully relaxing.

Honestly, my options if this doesn't work out will be to take out a 401k loan for as much as I can to buy another vehicle, and to also fix Thumper. That may allow me to build Thumper into the light overlanding rig I've always wanted, but the loan payments and other expenses may mean I can't afford to do so. Thumper, at 21yrs old, could use a good amount of TLC, from underbody rust repair, to an engine refresh, i.e. lifters, oil pan, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, ect. This summers plans were to replace the oil pan/oil pan gasket, and the valve cover gasket. If I had the time, I'd also pull the heads and address the "death rattle" Thumper's had for years from the lifters.

My original primary goal(6yrs ago) for Thumper, was to be a daily driver capable of getting me to work and to trailheads in the northern Adirondacks. An overlanding mentality would be my mentality, but few campsites in the northern Adirondacks are vehicle accessible, and most of those are handicap only, so a support vehicle for backpacking, hiking, bushcraft on the weekends, and a tool carrier for an equipment operator in an industrial setting(recycling plant) during the week.

I love shit boxes and project cars, but always have something decent to get to work like a normal person. Ie, adulting. Stab that used tranny in there without thinking twice, and by yourself a reliable vehicle asap so you can do project car things with your project car

Tldr
WHY?
No other option I've came upon. Zero used transmissions available that I've been able to find. My previous source for used parts dried up, and any other local JY's might get back to you in 6 months.
I'm sure you can find a local shop or friend that would have a press so you can pull the OD housing apart.
Not convinced it's OD damage. I limped it along all winter with a 4th gear issue. Ultimate failure was momentary lockups of the driveline at just above 40mph. I'm guessing the snapring part was getting into something. If it was a typical OD failure, I'd just have swapped on a different OD unit with an unbroken snapring, from a 3rd trans; which worked when removed, nut got left in a snowbank for a winter with the dipstick hole open, as I thought it was junk,so it's sat for 5yrs with some amount of water in it. No sign of water in the OD unit.

I do plan on either acquire a press to do a full rebuild on one of the units I have or have a shop rebuild one, as a spare.
Have you tried Junk Yard Dog to locate a usable trans?

I've also used Stricker Auto Parts.
First I've heard of those sources, will investigate. The only online source I could find wanted $1200 for a used unit.
Go find a credit union, not a bank, a credit union and get an auto loan and buy something you can drive.

Don’t fuck with your 401k.
I made the mistake of graduating college in 2008, and have crap credit as a result. An auto loan would also result in much higher insurance payments, which would mean I couldn't afford to eat.... Welcome to living in a rural area in a state where the gov't focus is on a certain urban area which votes them into office, while the rest of the state votes against them. Anyone I know who actually can live comfortably, has either themselves or their spouse being gov't workers.

No other option I've came upon. Zero used transmissions available that I've been able to find. My previous source for used parts dried up, and any other local JY's might get back to you in 6 months.

Not convinced it's OD damage. I limped it along all winter with a 4th gear issue. Ultimate failure was momentary lockups of the driveline at just above 40mph. I'm guessing the snapring part was getting into something. If it was a typical OD failure, I'd just have swapped on a different OD unit with an unbroken snapring, from a 3rd trans; which worked when removed, nut got left in a snowbank for a winter with the dipstick hole open, as I thought it was junk,so it's sat for 5yrs with some amount of water in it. No sign of water in the OD unit.

I do plan on either acquire a press to do a full rebuild on one of the units I have or have a shop rebuild one, as a spare.

First I've heard of those sources, will investigate. The only online source I could find wanted $1200 for a used unit.

I made the mistake of graduating college in 2008, and have crap credit as a result. An auto loan would also result in much higher insurance payments, which would mean I couldn't afford to eat.... Welcome to living in a rural area in a state where the gov't focus is on a certain urban area which votes them into office, while the rest of the state votes against them. Anyone I know who actually can live comfortably, has either themselves or their spouse being gov't workers.
Only thing you'd need a press for is the OD spring.

Buy a cavalier and put money aside
Around here at this time, used vehicles for sale are a rarity. If I go on FB marketplace to the vehicles section, 2/3 or more is lawn tractors and the like, and any vehicles listed are priced way above a reasonable price. Saw a 2004 truck with a blown trans going for $2600. Parts vehicles are going for $1500...

I'd be completely blowing my budget just buying a junker at this point.

Only thing you'd need a press for is the OD spring.
One of the drums inside the trans looks like it has a pretty strong spring as well, which I'd need to remove to change the steels/frictions.

I'm also lacking on having a clean enough space to work in to built a trans. Just tearing down the one I took out in search of a smoking gun failure resulted in everything feeling gritty, no matter how much cleaning I did.

Last edited:
For those if you saying to buy a beater, I'll say I paid $1300 for Thumper 6yrs ago, spent over 4k in parts in the first year, and have been lucky so far as to major breakdowns, up to this point. Unfortunately, it had to be the one part that I don't have multiple spares of and also have zero experience rebuilding. I'd honestly hoped to open up the rear axle and find chunks, as I've got a spare rear axle sitting out back(and another under the parts Jeep.) Worked my way forward through the driveline(haven't had a front driveshaft in in a couple years), and other than internal to the transfer case, nothing obviously was wrong. First problem I found was the broken OD snapring.

One of the drums inside the trans looks like it has a pretty strong spring as well.

I'm also lacking on having a clean enough space to work in to built a trans. Just tearing down the one I took out in search of a smoking gun failure resulted in everything feeling gritty, no matter how much cleaning I did.
A friend rebuilt a TH350 on a picnic table at the campground in Moab with junkyard parts and it lasted a couple years.

Well shit...
I asked why.
You gave a good answer.
My best advice is to get new bearing/syncros into it if possible and go with it
You can always slam it in and hope.
Good luck

A friend rebuilt a TH350 on a picnic table at the campground in Moab with junkyard parts and it lasted a couple years.
Being in Moab, was it a daily driver? Sounds like it was a trail rig basd on the location and age of the transmission.

As I mentioned, no matter what I did during the disassembly, it seemed everything I pulled out got covered in grit. That was in the cleanest environment I have to do a rebuilt, and I definitely don't have the space to do so in there. My work surface is just the side shelf on a US General 5 drawer cart, so 16"x16", and the trans well exceeds the weight capacity of that shelf.

Well shit...
I asked why.
You gave a good answer.
My best advice is to get new bearing/syncros into it if possible and go with it
You can always slam it in and hope.
Good luck
My plan is to slam in the 250k unit with a whole lot of hopes and prayers. Then keep searching to a low mileage replacement, or get one rebuilt. I've already got referrals from the Jeep club as to what shop to go to for that. Budget's just not up for that option right now, even if they would do a carryout. I suspect my trans issues resulted initially from driving it home with a snapped TV cable(puled out of a gas station and stepped on it a little to hard, and for some reason the end of the TV cable snapped off. Made up a metal replacement when I got home until the replacement cable arrived), then I stupidly used cruise control last summer, which resulted in a bang bang bang downshift, as cruise control never seemed to work right. Having torn down that trans, it seems the front band(kickdown) was way too loose.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clb
If
Wait
Tldr
If you cannot get access to a clean workplace, slam it in after flushing it well:beer:

To be honest, I planned on a filter/fluid change on the current unit after about 500 miles, as I relocated the vent, and potentially introduced some metal into the trans despite my best efforts to avoid doing so. Never got around to that. I That trans lasted an additional 40-50k(maybe 60k, I'd have to check records), having 97k+ on it when I installed it.

Unsure if I'll be doing the vent relocate mod(tapping an putting a plug in the factory vent hole behind the torque converter, the drilling and tapping a hole in a spot on top of the trans for a 90 elbow and hose barb) , then on this unit, as I don't go offroad nearly as much as I'd planned when I did that(haven't in years, as no public land is now available to off-roaders(yet they claim more is as they took the land we formerly used, and made it permit only and permits only allow ATV's and UTV's)(and they claim it's a new trail system, typical for NY to take something away, and give it back with limitations claiming it's something newly allowed), and it introduced the possibility of a leak by reusing the pump gasket, which I remove to allow placement of a cloth keeping metal chips from drilling/tapping out of the internals of the trans.) If I have a shop do a rebuild, that will be part of their job..... No sense paying someone to build something not suited 100% to your needs, and it's a well known mod amongst off-roaders, so any trans shop has likely heard of it. Also not something likely to introduce unexpected problems as it just moves the vent from the pump to the top of the case.

I've got other issues to spent my limited money on right now, such as noticing my fuel tank skidplate is rotted out*only visible from under the vehicle due to how it has cracked. Looking under from the rear, it looks fine, as the angled of the cracked out pieces make it look normal. Decision being if I do a tank tuck and custom replacement skidplate, or if I just go with a new/used skid[late(and then do I go with the brush guard or the skidplate(difference being thickness.)) I've always wanted to do a tank tuck, but as I don't offroad much, not much utility, and if I do so, I'd have to find a new place for the spare tire. If I do a stock replacement, I can get a new brush guard for $250 or a used skid plate for $300. As I rarely offroad Thumper, which option should I choose. I'm leaning towards a used factory skid plate(1/8" steel) but then again. If I'm going to spend the money, why not go with a tank tuck and be done with it.

As additional info, Thumpers primary offroad purpose is getting me into trailheads and campsites in the northern Adirondacks, locations someone with a 2wd car could get to it they don't care too much about damage. I've always envisioned building him into an over landing rig, but the local rules prevent camping on the trail, and are rather anti-offroader as well. Just before the pandemic, there was an offroad event with a fatality that had the state police ticketing individuals for all sorts of minor infractions. I recall hearing of a lady getting a DWI ticket, while completely on private land. When the question was raised as to when a DWI was possible on private land, they responded by saying to take it u p in court. Logic being that the event lacked some permit or another. Never did hear how that case turned out

Last edited:
Some cities have a "rent a lift" place where you rent a spot in their garage to wrench on you vehicle and they give you access to their tools. This would allow you to rebuild your transmission.

Good luck with what ever you do... :beer:

Some cities have a "rent a lift" place where you rent a spot in their garage to wrench on you vehicle and they give you access to their tools. This would allow you to rebuild your transmission.

Good luck with what ever you do... :beer:
I'm nowhere near a city.
Why are you worried about off roading a daily driver that you can't afford to fix?
Not so much worried about off roading it right now. As far as the vent relocate, Just thinking to the future where I may off road again, and knowing this mod can't be done without pulling the trans, as it involves threading the vent hole(behind the torque converter) in the pump for a plug, and drilling a new hole in the top of the case for a elbow and hose barb to relocate the vent up into the engine bay.

Also, it's not that I can't afford to fix it, just that the used parts I'd planned to use are unavailable.What I can't afford if for a shop to rebuild one right now, although I do plan on having one rebuilt when I get the money. I was planning on this years repair budget going into the engine, as its got crazy lifter rattle, and the valve cover leaks badly. The oil pan is also rather rusty, so I'd planned on replacing the oilpan, and resealing the valve cover, if I don't go all the way to replacing the lifters as well.

Last edited:
I was tired of my daughter using our JK…. (She had a rough patch in life and ended up with her car getting repossessed) I was able to find a $1500 Kia spectra in under a week…. It’s lasted her over 2 years now…. Way more than I expected!!!!!!
I would suggest doing something like this and shelving your project Heep!!!!!
Just my opinion!!!!!

If you're not gonna buy a $1k beater then buy a rebuildable core and rebuild it and slam it in.

A transmission is just a stack of shit that all kinda fits together and sits inside some bearings with a valve body bolted to the side. They're really not rocket science.

A stock rebuild should be cake. Where things get complicated is when you start trying to "build" one with aftermarket performance parts then you gotta get anal about measuring shit and clearances in order to make sure it all plays nice together.

The only "gotcha" is that they're not very tolerant of dumbass mullet wearing types that want to put everything togehter with a hammer and they're equally intolerant of textbook knowledge types who don't have a feel for "something ain't right" when sliding a part into a seal or dropping clutch packs in or whatever. If you're not an idiot you'll be fine though.

One of the drums inside the trans looks like it has a pretty strong spring as well, which I'd need to remove to change the steels/frictions.

You got a dishwasher in your apartment?

Dishwasher works great for that shit.

Once you get everything clean and dry you can build a trans on a coffee table.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh