What's new

Installing a used 1/4million mile transmission....

The further away that point is the less useful it is. You will run your ship right into the fucking sandbar if you ask the guy who got around it 6mo ago where you should be.
I'm saying most of us got overwhelmed with being broke, too much death, shitty fam, to the point of a breakdown and feeling like there's no way out. Took my till about 30 to go back to school (community college) to at least get a fresh look on things. I was garage sailing on weekends for gas money.

Point is, those of us that changed our course took a step. Direction wasn't as important as action and will quite possibly lead somewhere better than goals planned out with a shitty mindset.

I'm saying most of us got overwhelmed with being broke, too much death, shitty fam, to the point of a breakdown and feeling like there's no way out. Took my till about 30 to go back to school (community college) to at least get a fresh look on things. I was garage sailing on weekends for gas money.

Point is, those of us that changed our course took a step. Direction wasn't as important as action and will quite possibly lead somewhere better than goals planned out with a shitty mindset.
Fuck yes!!!!!!
Because continuing the miserable path is Fkn insanity….. but it’s normal…. Because that’s all you’ve done and are used to it!!!!

Only chance for change…..
Become conscious of where you are and your surroundings….. stop lying to yourself!!!!

IMG_1113.png
IMG_1112.png
IMG_1111.png
IMG_1110.png
IMG_1109.png
IMG_1108.png

All but the minivan are within 40 miles of Potsdam, all are ugly, some need some work. Some have passed inspection. All qualify as $1000 beater (give or take). All would (or could) have the potential to be better than a beater Jeep with a well passed it’s prime transmission.
I was 32 before I paid more for a vehicle that 1400 (average price was probably 550) and I was never late to work and since 27 I was supporting a wife and kid at a ‘non-technical’ factory job (2010-2014 making 11-15 bucks an hour).
You have to want to do it. Stop complaining about how you got here and start moving forward.

About your actual question: you’re already doing the swap, just run it, but get yourself one of these vehicles so you have 2. If you’re going to be in this situation you need 2 vehicles cuz one is always going to need something. If you’re good enough to swap the trans in that Jeep you’re good enough to fix any piddling shit on the vehicles I posted here if they need it (the first two claim to need nothing).

If OP is getting anything to match this thread, it's the Altima. Hands down.

Hard to make a 16.5 mile commute in -40 temps during a blizzard on a scooter. Been looking for a better job for years with no luck, as my skill set is specialized in a field that I'm prevented from going to anywhere else within 50 miles of any of my current employers locations, even if such a alternative employer existed.

Try living without the things you need to survive, and you may understand why I keep so much stuff, as it's bailed me out of numerous impossible situations already. I'm actually seeing a therapist trying to overcome my past with little success, growing up in a house where everything you did brought criticism results in that.
Stop with the "I can't" and "woe is me" shit and do something. You've spent more time on this thread complaining about how shitty your life is and how no advice here will work than you would've rebuilding that transmission with a box of matches and a rock.

You need a better outlook. Go grab a mirror, sit in front of it, and repeat after Stuart:

If OP is getting anything to match this thread, it's the Altima. Hands down.
Manual trans was still an option then. If it has the manual it's probably the most reliable and lowest cost per mile for the next 100k of anything in that list. :laughing:

Manual Nissans of the CVT-era are really good beater cars because the CVT ones depress the price and the fact that it's a manual really limits how car-tarded the last few owners were.

Edit: Nevermind, it's got the CVT.

Manual trans was still an option then. If it has the manual it's probably the most reliable and lowest cost per mile for the next 100k of anything in that list. :laughing:

Manual Nissans of the CVT-era are really good beater cars because the CVT ones depress the price and the fact that it's a manual really limits how car-tarded the last few owners were.

Edit: Nevermind, it's got the CVT.
I'm talking about the shtick with Altima drivers...

22e2fc7fde152a9256942db95db011ab3e31995333fee597_1.jpg

I'm talking about the shtick with Altima drivers...

22e2fc7fde152a9256942db95db011ab3e31995333fee597_1.jpg
:lmao:

My Sister and BIL (BLI retired from the navy as O-8 so made decent money while in) drove Altima's for years. Then again, they bought them new and traded them after 4-5 years. Exception that proves the rule, I'm sure their trade-ins are just like this.

There are 4-5 42RE 4wd transmissions out of 1999-2004 Jeep GCs on eBay for $500 each shipped: Automatic Transmission 4X4 4.0L 42RE Fits 00-04 GRAND CHEROKEE 975872 | eBay is one.
There are a half dozen transmissions just across into Canadia listed on: Car-Part.com - Used Auto Parts Market for $300ish

Per: Chrysler 4 Speed (Overdrive) Transmission Dimensions the 42RE is about 18"x18"x37" should be able to double bag it with construction trash bags and belt it into the back seat to move it.

That doesn't sound legal in NY, here is what the AG has to say about non-compete agreements: https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/non-competes.pdf
Specifically, if it's obsolete technology, there isn't anything to protect, but if you switch to a different field it's a moot point.

Life sucks, I understand keeping useful stuff, but 4 table saws that aren't moving at $20 each? Scrap them and free up storage space, if you can't get them to the scrapyard yourself, put them by the side of the road and post them on FB.

As for the distance to the North Lawrence plant, I would look at getting an apartment there (or even find a campground with showers to park a tent at to start with, it's warm enough now for that) and just coming "home" on weekends, not commuting there full time.
That gets out out of the toxic situation you keep complaining about, into a job that should be easier on your body long term and hopefully it's far enough away from the schools to have cheaper rent.

Aaron Z
Did you read the fine print on the E-bay transmission you linked? $200 for the transmission, $300 shipping, and if it's junk, I pay return shipping. It'd be cheaper just to eat it rather than return, as I'd be out an additional $100 by returning it. "If a freight item (Transmission, Engine, Bumpers, Ect...) is received in non working condition (when stated in working order on the listing), the buyer will be responsible for return shipping charges."

Well dont cherry pick it. Read all the fine print

", the buyer will be responsible for return shipping charges. The item will be inspected for installation damages. If damage from installation is found, no refund will be given. If no damage is found a refund of the full purchase price and return shipping will be refunded.":homer:

Reactions: DMG
You trust the eBay seller to make a sufficiently impartial assessment?

Either they're the kind of guys who DGAF as long as you didn't fuck up the core or they're gonna use some scratch as an excuse to deny it and then turn around and sell the free core to a rebuilder for a few hundo.

How lucky you feeling?

Did you read the fine print on the E-bay transmission you linked? $200 for the transmission, $300 shipping, and if it's junk, I pay return shipping. It'd be cheaper just to eat it rather than return, as I'd be out an additional $100 by returning it. "If a freight item (Transmission, Engine, Bumpers, Ect...) is received in non working condition (when stated in working order on the listing), the buyer will be responsible for return shipping charges."
Right or wrong props for coming back to face the music. :beer:

Did you read the fine print on the E-bay transmission you linked? $200 for the transmission, $300 shipping, and if it's junk, I pay return shipping. It'd be cheaper just to eat it rather than return, as I'd be out an additional $100 by returning it. "If a freight item (Transmission, Engine, Bumpers, Ect...) is received in non working condition (when stated in working order on the listing), the buyer will be responsible for return shipping charges. The item will be inspected for installation damages. If damage from installation is found, no refund will be given. If no damage is found a refund of the full purchase price and return shipping will be refunded"
Added the rest as Steve300xcw pointed out.
Not surprised, they have to deal with people who try and use the bell housing bolts to jam it together when the torque converter is not lined up.
My point was that they are out there and not made of unobtanium.

Aaron Z

Added the rest as Steve300xcw pointed out.
Not surprised, they have to deal with people who try and use the bell housing bolts to jam it together when the torque converter is not lined up.
My point was that they are out there and not made of unobtanium.

Aaron Z

What would the symptoms be if I'd tried to pull it together with the bell housing bolts? Had one side nearly tight and tryed to pull the gap together, assuming the dowel pin was hanging up before I noticed a problem. Pulled it back apart, and found, as I suspected, that the torque converter had worked it's way out of the pump, as I'd manhandled the 188lb hunk into place. Pulled it out, pulled the pump again, assuming I'd find the back of it blown out, and found nothing suspicious(stupidly didn't tear the pump apart).

Got the torque convert reseated, and found a way to wire it in place(FSM specifies using a C-clamp, but no mention of how, and I don't see anywhere a C-clamp would work. Got it installed again last Sunday, sans a handful of odd bits and the transfer case. Finished that yesterday, and took itr for a 1/4mile test drive. Nothing odd when I left, except the gas pedal seems hard to push. Suspecting that's a TV cable issue, as it seems every time I mess with that cable, it gets shorter. Bent the bracket last time to shorten it 3/8", and this time it's still 1/4" too short for textbook proper adjustment.

By the time I returned from my test drive, the transmission is making a ticking/knocking noise(my father called a misfire when he heard it)(in all gears but park. From my memory, park is the only gear selector position the pump isn't used. Looking through the FSM Hydraulic schematics, the only difference I see between park and neutral is something in the regulator valve, I suspect it's dumping to the pan in park, i.e. the knocking is anytime the pumps under load. I also questioned at this time if I'd installed the inner gear correctly, but didn't investigate(inner pump gear has a bevel to guide the torque converter in, while flipped it doesn't), I assumed my first install was correct and thought preserving the gasket was the better choice than checking for something I was 99% sure I'd installed in the correct orientation.

If my suspicion is correct, that first attempt to install the transmission wedged the torque convert into the inner pump gear, cracking it, and the short run time resulted in the crack completely breaking.

I didn't even touch the Jeep today, as it's laundry/grocery shopping/cleaning/food prep/get ready to go back to the nightmare(work, hoping for an easy week as the schedule had last week as the heavy week) day. I'm also planning on building a jack adapter custom fit to this transmission so less manhandling is required the next go around(I wish HF still sold a jack adapter to lift transmissions rather than having to buy asn entire transmission jack(which wouldn't work for me anyway as I'm working over dirt and they've all got wheels suited only to concrete/asphalt.) I also an at the point where everything I touch seems to make it worse, so time to regroup and formulate a plan.

Once I get the transmission pulled back out, I'll investigate the pump, hoping that's the problem, as I'll simply give the pump from the old transmission a GOOD cleaning, and install that one. I do fear it's something deeper. as I also experience an intermediate thrust washer issue when I reassembled after doing the vent mod. Result of that being the washers got mangled beteen the 3 tangs of the middle shaft and the neck of the front shaft.

I also have messaged the seller of the 2008 Nissan Altima last night with no response. For some reason, FB Marketplace vehicles "suggested" section was what I was seeing before, and not showing me a lot of ok beater vehicles. Even that Altima, as $1400, would be really pushing my budget to get on the road, as it's got studded snow tires, which aren't allowed on the road here after April 30th, and replacement tires are running $130/ea from what I can find, not including install/balance. I've got ~$2100 on available If I cash out everything I can(put a little in the stock market a few years back, that can take a week or more to turn into cash, I can push that up to ~$2700, taking a several hundred dollar loss on that, as I had 1 or 2 investments that tanked days after I bought them. (I really don't want to go the 401k loan route, but not sure I'd have a choice getting something remotely better.

Our supervisor, who's been off since October for a medical issue is also scheduled to come back June 12th. No clue how that's going to affect the work schedule(i.e. paycheck due to hours worked), as past experience either has us either working the bare minimum, or working 6-hrs per week. I'd also lined up some overtime for myself re-plumbing the bathroom dong drywall repairs in that area, after several pipe bursts over the winter did a lot of damage. Less than a week before the Jeep broke, I'd just dug out my tools for those repairs, after being buried in a corner 10yrs. I've got a fear he's either going to completely take over that project, or else simply veto all the extra work I want to do(management just spent 5 or 6 figures renovating the office, but says that work elsewhere should be done in house to save money.... was planing on doing the work the best way possible, so as I'm not revisiting it in a year..... Supervisor is known to be very hesitant to spend a penny of company money(i.e. it took him being gone and me going to the operations manager and then parts department to get a decent pry bar; that I'd asked him to get ordered better than 6 months earlier(all I had was a well bent up 4' bar that we'd pulled out of the trash.)) I gave the parts dept. Item numbers off Grainger, just showing what I wanted, not necessarily specific as to source as I'd have been happy with Harbor Freight versions of most items, and they gave me exactly what items I'd specified, even to brand(specified "Woodward" as prefered for one item, and got nearly everything from Woodward(including vise-grips, that even the cheapest would suffice(used to clamp ratchet straps to conveyor belts to pull ends together to put the pin in the lacing.) I'd planned on usng mineral wool insulation for the ceilings of these rooms, as it's a rodent repellant, and the plumbing issue seems to be rat p1ss having eaten the pipes in the ceiling.

'

Right or wrong props for coming back to face the music. :beer:
LOL. Been trying to face the music for a long time.... If you only understood my childhood trauma's, you may understand how much effort it takes to get out of bed in the morning.... As my sister has told me, and I agree with; "nothing was ever good enough." The first thing my mother said about me getting into college was "How are you going to pay for it?", even with a 25% scholarship already obtained(which I later lost as my workaholic(i.e. seeking any recognition I could attain) mentality meant my dining hall and theatre hand on assignments took priority over everything else).

Currently seeing a therapist trying to overcome these issues, after years of trying top DIY a solution. This mess with the Jeep has literally had my in tears multiple times, questioning why I want to live, as I have that little reason to wake up tomorrow, and literally nothing to look forward to.

As I consider going to college the worst decision of my life, why would I repeat it? It took me until 29 to l;and this miserable dead end(although they claim otherwise) job I now have; and it's my first job with any benefits whatsoever.

You trust the eBay seller to make a sufficiently impartial assessment?

Either they're the kind of guys who DGAF as long as you didn't fuck up the core or they're gonna use some scratch as an excuse to deny it and then turn around and sell the free core to a rebuilder for a few hundo.

How lucky you feeling?
That's kind of my position..... Even those questionable "good" ebay units are starting to look good.

What would the symptoms be if I'd tried to pull it together with the bell housing bolts?

Only auto I ever messed with was in a ranger. Was about 18 and honestly I had no business even owning tools:lmao:

Started pulling it together with the bolts because it wouldnt slide together:homer:. Its been a while, but I wanna say the pump, and the first planetary were damaged. It got expensive real quick, as it was some oddball transition year transmission 4r55e/5r55e.

I got it somewhat working but the valve body was being pissy. So limp it to work an tear it apart that night...over an over:homer: I shoulda bought a barrel of atf:shaking:

Learned real fast that if you are broke, and dont have the knowledge. You really cant afford not to have a shop fix you're only rig.

LOL. Been trying to face the music for a long time.... If you only understood my childhood trauma's, you may understand how much effort it takes to get out of bed in the morning.... As my sister has told me, and I agree with; "nothing was ever good enough." The first thing my mother said about me getting into college was "How are you going to pay for it?", even with a 25% scholarship already obtained(which I later lost as my workaholic(i.e. seeking any recognition I could attain) mentality meant my dining hall and theatre hand on assignments took priority over everything else).

Not to be a dick. But the world doesnt give two fucks about you or how hard you had/have it.

Who you are now and what you can do, is the only thing that really matters!

I'm still in the camp of sell everything you can to buy something decent that will get 3x the mileage of that jeep and be reliable. Thats the first step to getting out of this lil shit hole that you are stuck in...

What would the symptoms be if I'd tried to pull it together with the bell housing bolts?
Nothing unless you get far enough to break a mounting ear or something.

Had one side nearly tight and tryed to pull the gap together, assuming the dowel pin was hanging up before I noticed a problem. Pulled it back apart, and found, as I suspected, that the torque converter had worked it's way out of the pump, as I'd manhandled the 188lb hunk into place. Pulled it out, pulled the pump again, assuming I'd find the back of it blown out, and found nothing suspicious(stupidly didn't tear the pump apart).
I've done that a million times on Subarus. Never harms them.

I also have messaged the seller of the 2008 Nissan Altima last night with no response. For some reason, FB Marketplace vehicles "suggested" section was what I was seeing before, and not showing me a lot of ok beater vehicles. Even that Altima, as $1400, would be really pushing my budget to get on the road, as it's got studded snow tires, which aren't allowed on the road here after April 30th, and replacement tires are running $130/ea from what I can find, not including install/balance. I've got ~$2100 on available If I cash out everything I can(put a little in the stock market a few years back, that can take a week or more to turn into cash, I can push that up to ~$2700, taking a several hundred dollar loss on that, as I had 1 or 2 investments that tanked days after I bought them. (I really don't want to go the 401k loan route, but not sure I'd have a choice getting something remotely better.
I would not get that Altima. They eat trasmissions and do it enough that you can't "just buy a used one" as demand exceeds supply.

On a TH350 it will break the pump and fuck up the drive tabs on the converter.

Edit: if the converter is not fully splined and all the way to the rear.

Learned real fast that if you are broke, and dont have the knowledge. You really cant afford not to have a shop fix you're only rig.
Why don't you price out having a shop R and R a transmission.

You can probably buy two good used transmissions and a rebuild kit for the first and play musical transmissions for 6mo before the cost comes to what a shop would charge.

I lost reverse in the thing. Was $2k to get fixed.

So when I cooked the holy fuck out of it, I figured I could do it for cheaper than that.

Jack shit for tools, or knowledge, in a borrowed shop while trying to still use it to work 50+ hours a week:homer:

I would have been so far ahead both in money and stress just to have a shop do it.

You should always have to drag the converter to flex plate and not push the converter into the transmission with the bolts.

I did, time 2.0. Suspect damage came from attempt 1.0. I thought I was fighting the dowel pins, up until I realized the converter was already up against the flexplate.
Why don't you price out having a shop R and R a transmission.

You can probably buy two good used transmissions and a rebuild kit for the first and play musical transmissions for 6mo before the cost comes to what a shop would charge.
That's one of the possibilities I'm considering. Primarily as my budget's tight enough I could barely buy the parts to rebuild it myself.It's also the reason I have yet to tear it back apart. I know the transmission that's in there would need a new case it a shop rebuilds is(repaired a snapped of ear for the shifter mount and a stripped out bolt hole for the crank sensor, good enough to work, but not something I'd expect a shop to even consider.)

Is the knocking loose or missing flex plate bolts?
Not missing, as I put in all , as tight as I dared tighten the(vsn't toqrue to spec due to location, and barely being able to fit in a lo profile ratchet in there) with red locktite. Possibly loose, although I'd expect the noise in park as well.

Got back from the test drive, then picked up tools in a very sour mood, and haven't touched anything since.

Not to be a dick. But the world doesnt give two fucks about you or how hard you had/have it.

Who you are now and what you can do, is the only thing that really matters!

I'm still in the camp of sell everything you can to buy something decent that will get 3x the mileage of that jeep and be reliable. Thats the first step to getting out of this lil shit hole that you are stuck in...

I don't think you understand. I've long been at the point that I seen no reason to continue living.

Everything I've given everything I have to and then some ends up in a kick to the face and losing nearly everything. I highly doubt any of the beaters will get 45MPG either.

The Jeep is literally part a massive part of my identity, as it was one of my foreys into a normal social circle.

Nothing unless you get far enough to break a mounting ear or something.

I've done that a million times on Subarus. Never harms them.

I would not get that Altima. They eat trasmissions and do it enough that you can't "just buy a used one" as demand exceeds supply.
IMO, the Altima will only be a temporary vehicle until I get things straightened out, as I've got no interest in import junk. It's just the best vehicle I'm seeing locally at a price within my budget.

I doesn't though, it sits broke, and your attempts to fix it has made it worse,
Also it doesn't sound like you have time or money for any "getting into the woods"
when was the last time that happened? When was the last time you had time or money to do that?

Your on a shoestring one loaner car away from being unemployed living at home with a garage full of hoarders junk you refuse to throw in the dumpster .

But you do you, we don't know what we are talking about, you've got your world by the tale rocking your best life.
Honestly, I got into the woods thye week before this problem popped up, unusually. I typically donm't like getting shot at ans do avoid the woods from the start of Deer season to May 15th. Jeep broke May 7th... I went out the weekend before on state land and ended up downrange of someone shooting out behind their camp on private land.

IMO, the Altima will only be a temporary vehicle until I get things straightened out, as I've got no interest in import junk.

Nothing wrong with keeping a beater to get you out of a jam. Lots of guys do. It will save yer ass

Nothing wrong with keeping a beater to get you out of a jam. Lots of guys do. It will save yer ass
:lmao::laughing: I’ve got a Chevy LUV diesel that would never pass inspection in any state that had one that is my “if all else fails” backup that I have a hard time yanking the drivetrain and junking for this very reason. 3 times in 13 years I’ve taken it out of storage (it’s been about 6 years since now) and thrown liability on it and went to driving it. Kicked the mice out, air the tires up, top off brake fluid and coolant, hit the glow plug button, and fire it. When I was a teenager I bought so many derelict LUV diesels that I have no qualms about doing what I just described and driving it 2 hours. With a couple spare tires and a gallon of coolant of course :lmao:

:lmao::laughing: I’ve got a Chevy LUV diesel that would never pass inspection in any state that had one that is my “if all else fails” backup that I have a hard time yanking the drivetrain and junking for this very reason. 3 times in 13 years I’ve taken it out of storage (it’s been about 6 years since now) and thrown liability on it and went to driving it. Kicked the mice out, air the tires up, top off brake fluid and coolant, hit the glow plug button, and fire it. When I was a teenager I bought so many derelict LUV diesels that I have no qualms about doing what I just described and driving it 2 hours. With a couple spare tires and a gallon of coolant of course :lmao:
Exactly!

Growing up there was this shit brown diesel chevette with grass growing in the carpet, parked out back for emergencies:lmao: that thing would motivate you to get your shit fixed:laughing:
Shit, I would rock either of those as Yard Art / Emergency Transportation.:laughing:

We grew up with a 75 LUV, that thing was a blast. Gas Isuzu though, Funky dual wheel cylinder brakes.

Top Back Refresh