What's new

'I can't breathe': Man dies after pleading with officer during Minneapolis arrest

A lot of talk here but until you have control an aggitaated person or have the police slam you down, you have no idea what it's like...

Not all of us had a sheltered youth. I'm pretty sure plenty here had quite a few brawl sessions in the good old days. And most know the difference between someone that is awake and someone that's out cold.

You choke someone out, they go limp. You knock someone out, they go limp. I've never heard of or seen anyone in a fight "pretend" to be asleep to try and trick the opponent only to spring up and fight again like it's a cartoon. It just doesn't happen.

So when that dude goes limp, you know you got it and you're done. This cop stayed on that dead body for 4 minutes, until he was nudged to get off. I'm curious how much longer he would have stayed parked on him if not prompted by the other guy to get up. I guess he would stayed on the dead body until flies laid maggots?

You just described my cousin to a T. Cool kid that turned into a complete shit head the second he got out. I haven't talked to him in at least 18 years. Last I heard he cheated on his wife with some scum bag slut, slapped the slut around, got arrested because the woman pushed the issue and got the news media involved, somehow got off scott free AND still has his job. I wouldn't even bother to piss on that dude to put a fire out......Complete POS. :flipoff:

Respect is earned, not given. Fuck them

This is totally anecdotal but I was reflecting recently on how many cops cheating on their spouses and getting divorced stories I have heard and it seems pretty high. Don't know if it's higher than the general public but it doesn't seem to be less for the rule enforcers. :shaking:

Good deal. Hope he gets the same type of trial as a civilian would.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...olice-officer/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Fired Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin has been arrested four days after George Floyd’s fatal arrest that sparked protests, rioting and outcry across the city and nation, and Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced he has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter.

On Friday, John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, announced that Chauvin was taken into custody by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, who said that Chauvin was arrested in Minneapolis. There was some speculation that he had gone to a home in Florida.

“We have now been able to put together the evidence that we need. Even as late as yesterday afternoon, we did not have all that we needed,” Freeman said, before saying that he was unable to speak to specific pieces of evidence and which one specifically was needed to file charges.

“This is by far the fastest that we’ve ever charged a police officer,” Freeman said.

WHAT THE COMPLAINT SAYS

A criminal complaint released Friday afternoon details the events that unfolded May 25:

According to the complaint, officers were dispatched to Cup Foods on the report of a man buying merchandise with a counterfeit $20 bill. Shortly after 8 p.m., Officers Thomas Lane and JA Kueng arrived with their body cameras activate and recording.

The officers learned from store workers that the man, later identified as Floyd, was parked in a car around the corner.

Body camera footage shows the officers approaching the car with Lane on the driver’s side and Kueng on the passenger side. Three people were in the car: Floyd, another man and another woman.

As Lane began speaking with Floyd, he pulled out his gun, pointed it at Floyd and ordered him to show his hands. Floyd then put his hands on the steering wheel and Lane holstered his firearm.

Lane then ordered Floyd out of the car and handcuffed him, but that Floyd “actively resisted being handcuffed.” Once handcuffed, however, police said he became complaint and walked with Lane to the sidewalk. Floyd then sat on the ground at Lane’s direction.

The complaint says Lane spoke with Floyd for under two minutes, asking Floyd for his identification and name. He also asked Floyd if he was “on anything” and told Floyd he was going to be arrested for passing counterfeit currency.

Then, Lane and Keung stood Floyd up and attempted to take him to their squad car. Floyd then “stiffened up, fell to the ground and told the officers he was claustrophobic.”

That’s when Officers Chauvin and Tou Thao arrived on the scene in a separate squad car.

After making several attempts to get Floyd in the backseat from the driver’s side, the complaint says Floyd wouldn’t get in and would struggle with the officers by intentionally falling down.

The complaint says that Floyd began saying and repeating he could not breathe while standing outside the car. Chauvin then went to the passenger side and tried to get Floyd in from that side, with Lane and Keung assisting.

Chauvin then pulled Floyd out of the passenger side of the car at 8:19 p.m. and Floyd went to the ground face down while still handcuffed.

While Keung and Lane held Floyd’s back and legs, Chauvin “placed his left knee in the area of Mr. Floyd’s head and neck.” Floyd could be heard repeatedly saying “I can’t breathe”, as well as “mama” and “please.” The officers, however, stayed in their positions.

The officers told Floyd, “You are talking fine”, as he continued to struggle. At one point, Lane asked “should we roll him on his side?” To which Chauvin responded, “No, staying put where we got him.”

Lane then said he was “worried about excited delirium or whatever” to which Chauvin responded, “That’s why we have him on his stomach.” They continued holding their positions.

At 8:24 p.m., Floyd stopped moving. Kueng then checked Floyd’s right wrist for a pulse and said “I couldn’t find one.” The officers continued to hold their positions.

At 8:27 p.m., Chauvin removed his knee from Floyd’s neck as medics arrived. Floyd was taken away in the ambulance. He was pronounced dead at Hennepin Healthcare.

An autopsy report is pending, but the Hennepin County Medical Examiner did release these findings: There were no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation, and that Mr. Floyd had underlying health problems, including coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease.

According to the medical examiner, “the combined effects of Mr. Floyd being restrained by the police, his underlying health conditions and any potential intoxicants in his system likely contributed to his death.

The complaint determined that Chauvin had his knee on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds total. Two minutes and 53 seconds of that time was after Floyd became unresponsive.

“Police are trained that this type of restraint with a subject in prone position is inherently dangerous,” the complaint said.

If convicted, Chauvin could face up to 25 years in prison on the murder charge and up to 10 years in prison on the manslaughter charge.

MORE DETAILS/CHARGES EXPECTED IN GEORGE FLOYD CASE

Freeman says the other officers involved are under investigation and that charges are expected.

“But I’m not going to get into that,” he said. “Today, we’re talking about former officer Chauvin.”

Mayor Jacob Frey called the decision to charge “an essential first step on a longer road toward justice and healing our city.”

“What’s happened in Minneapolis is bigger than any one city and any single event,” Frey said. “For our Black community who have, for centuries, been forced to endure injustice in a world simply unwilling to correct or acknowledge it: I know that whatever hope you feel today is tempered with skepticism and a righteous outrage.”

Ben Crump, the attorney representing Floyd’s family, released a statement on their behalf, saying that they were expecting first-degree murder charges.

“We call on authorities to revise the charges to reflect the true culpability of this officer,” the statement said.

Chauvin is the former officer in the video seen around the world with his knee on Floyd’s neck for at least five minutes. He’d been with Minneapolis police for 19 years.

Attorney General William Barr issued a statement Friday afternoon, saying:

The video images of the incident that ended with death of Mr. Floyd, while in custody of Minneapolis police officers, were harrowing to watch and deeply disturbing. The state prosecutor has been in the process of determining whether any criminal charges are appropriate under state law. On a separate and parallel track, the Department of Justice, including the FBI, are conducting an independent investigation to determine whether any federal civil rights laws were violated. Both state and federal officers are working diligently and collaboratively to ensure that any available evidence relevant to these decisions is obtained as quickly as possible. Under our system, charging decisions must be, and will be, based on the law and facts. This process is proceeding quickly. As is the typical practice, the state’s charging decisions will be made first. I am confident justice will be served.

Police initially said Floyd was resisting arrest and had a medical incident. However, video obtained by CBS News shows Floyd cooperating with officers, at least in the initial moments of the encounter.

A bystander’s video showed Floyd pleading that he could not breathe as a white officer — identified as Chauvin — knelt on his neck and kept his knee there for several minutes after Floyd stopped moving and became unresponsive.

All four officers were fired a day after Floyd’s death. As of yet, none of the other three officers have been reported as having been taken into custody.

The incident drew comparisons to the case of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man who died in 2014 in New York after being placed in a police chokehold. He also said the words “I can’t breathe” while being arrested. The phrase has become a rallying cry for protests over police brutality.

The video of Floyd’s fatal arrest circulated widely on social media, sparking protests in Minneapolis and cities across the country.

On both Tuesday and Wednesday, protests began with peaceful demonstrations near where Floyd was pinned to the ground, but violence later broke out near the 3rd Precinct police station. Wednesday evening’s protests involved more than 30 fires, destruction of businesses and looting.

Unrest was more widespread Thursday night, with destruction spreading to St. Paul, where more than 170 businesses were damaged. In Minneapolis, rioters burned the 3rd Precinct police station.

Earlier Friday, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said the looting and arson must come to an end so that state can address the problems that led to Floyd’s death.

“We cannot have the looting and recklessness that went on,” he said. “It’s time for us to clean our streets.”

At that same press conference, Harrington, the commissioner of public safety, called Floyd’s death a murder.

“That’s what it looked like to me,” he said. “I’ll call it as I see it.”

Floyd’s death is being investigated by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, FBI in Minneapolis and the Department of Justice Civil Rights division.

4 days and how many millions of dollars of property damage later..

Meanwhile the pawnshop owner was promptly arrested for defending his store. (Yea yea duty to retreat)

You or I defend ourselves we get promptly arrested, Police murder someone on camera they get a few days to prepare.

Meanwhile the pawnshop owner was promptly arrested for defending his store. (Yea yea duty to retreat)

You or I defend ourselves we get promptly arrested, Police murder someone on camera they get a few days to prepare.

Freaking exactly. I'm glad they finally arrested this guy, but why not all his cohorts, too? Because that's how it would've gone down for a normal person.

Edit--plus, it's going to make people think that justice is only happening because of the riots. Why not just do it right from the beginning?

Freaking exactly. I'm glad they finally arrested this guy, but why not all his cohorts, too? Because that's how it would've gone down for a normal person.

Edit--plus, it's going to make people think that justice is only happening because of the riots. Why not just do it right from the beginning?

There's probably some DA bitching and moaning about having to take the case.

I agree with you both though.

Because union and blue line. Above the law. Make these folks work in their own neighborhood and I'm pretty sure they wont act like bullys. Much like the internet, it's kind of tough to be a bully if everyone knows where you sleep.

I would say he had a preexisting condition and he didn't die from CO-p3.

And the winner is.......https://bit.ly/3eJ7OBd

photo4780.jpg

Screenshot_20200529-140236_Facebook.jpg

Lol sure stop the flow of blood, let it build up and let see what happens! Covid....covid happens! That fucktard had plenty of back up and total control of the suspect without cutting off blood flow. I'm going to have to agree with ob, fuck them, send them camping with him.

There’s a difference. Police officers are granted certain rights to use force. They had “cause” as stupid as it may be.

There needs to be a solid case before charges can be brought. Different than a civilian.

Glad he was finally charged.

That needs to be stamped out, hit a car with your cruiser, kill the person driving .... Jail!
There’s a difference. Police officers are granted certain rights to use force. They had “cause” as stupid as it may be.

There needs to be a solid case before charges can be brought. Different than a civilian.

Privileges, not rights. Rights are not granted, they're inherent.

And the winner is.......https://bit.ly/3eJ7OBd

Shocking but just like congress they investigated themselves and found they were not at fault. Guess its settled. Let the people burn the department to the fucking ground. Fuck it let it burn. Wisconsin will come will wait a few months. Come in put the fires out and annex some new dirt. :flipoff2:

"Traumatic asphyxia" or strangulation

we know he was not strangled and limiting it to "traumatic asphyxia" suggests nothing. that was a preliminary insert to the warrant for the killer cop's arrest.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the actual autopsy will show petechial hemorrhage which is evident of asphyxia

Mr. Floyd probably never watched this video...

Not making any judgements either way, just pointing this out... :laughing:

My wife just saw a blurb from Texas A&M that the dead guy was a college student at a sister campus in Kingsville from 05 to 07 so he was not an average hoodrat.

Because union and blue line. Above the law. Make these folks work in their own neighborhood and I'm pretty sure they wont act like bullys. Much like the internet, it's kind of tough to be a bully if everyone knows where you sleep.

The fact that you think cops can patrol their own neighborhoods shows how little you know about the history of LE.

My wife just saw a blurb from Texas A&M that the dead guy was a college student at a sister campus in Kingsville from 05 to 07 so he was not an average hoodrat.

Plenty of hoodrats have been to college. Hell I think the Kanye album "college dropout' was 10 or 15 years ago. Maybe 20?

I’m very surprised at the little amount of protection the White House has. Lots of protesters but doesn’t seem that well protected.

Top Back Refresh