What's new

hunting, fishing, trappin, killin, and grilling 2020

Yeah. Thats a fair size. He was a young 4 in his prime. Not rutting yet so I got really lucky he was there. I think u might get one with 70to100 lbs more but that would b monster level. The area I hunted it needs to be 4 points or better so he was barely legal. He was home in this country

20201024_104517.jpg

FB_IMG_1598240116123.jpg

5lb bass from a little spot I like to kayak. I didn't go out much this year as we had closures due to fires. This particular spot is usually on fire or dead. If you catch one you're in line for lots more. I was only out a couple hours with a buddy who doesn't fish and he landed 3 between 2-3lb. I probably had close to 10 this day.

That fake scrape I put in seems to be paying off. Nice looking 8 point here (nice for around here anyway)
Click image for larger version Name:	8point.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.5 KB ID:	178576

Then his son picking on a button buck
Click image for larger version Name:	sexualharrassment.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	178577

Button again

Click image for larger version Name:	buttonbuck.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.7 KB ID:	178578

At least the scent dripper seems to be getting them to visit during the day finally. Hopefully I can tickle the big one's innards with a broadhead in the morning.

I did fake scrapes and licking branches at two locations this year and both continue to have activity. The buck I killed above was at one of the scrapes. I did artificial rubbing posts as well, one vertical and one horizontal, but have not seen any use of those.

That's encouraging. (and it got you a nice buck) I saw nothing but squirrels, birds, and a lone opossum yesterday. But it's back to adventures in treestand boredom again...

I want to go out for a bit today, but my hands are all split and cracked from working yesterday. I have a split on every knuckle.

I haven't seen a single deer all season. Was hoping to call some in with estrus and a bleat can. No luck there either.

I did a poor job prepping this year.

I want to go out for a bit today, but my hands are all split and cracked from working yesterday. I have a split on every knuckle.

I haven't seen a single deer all season. Was hoping to call some in with estrus and a bleat can. No luck there either.

I’ve had some good luck with a grunt tube when the rut is going. Never have had anything really happen with bleat cans.

Same here, I havent seen anything but squirrels and birds. I need a new hunting spot.

This little guy wandered right underneath my stand and made eye contact with me at least five times, I figured he was a goner but he wandered over to the scrape. Got him at about 15 yards, threw the shot high (it's my first one, give me a break, that adrenaline rush is no joke) and tagged him right in the thoracic spine. He rolled over paralyzed and I put a second arrow into his neck to seal the deal. 3x4, not a trophy but I'm happy. He has been eating really well on my neighbor's farms, lots of fat. Also a heavy bitch to drag back to my garage.

Click image for larger version Name:	20201101_081028.jpg Views:	0 Size:	338.2 KB ID:	179866

Last edited:
2.5h this morning. Wandered a bit further out that I have been. Found a stack of tree limbs and down trees in a v-shape pointing down at the logging road. :idea:

Blind seemed a couple years old. Sat there for a bit. Nothing.

I think I'm becoming too dependent on getting the deer to me. With bleat calls and deer piss. I need to go to the deer.

Man, closed up shop at 8:30 tonight, got a shower, then decided to do a few calls off the back deck. I haven’t got out since fur season opened mid-October. This ended up way too intense for the first stand of the season! It’s not even a storm front, just beautiful 60 degree weather.

I shot this in a brushy part of my property. Missed the mate. Heard it barking for her after about twenty minutes. Definitely did no mean to explode this grey fox.

7CE90230-4DE0-4E5E-8533-E53340C78F9A.jpeg

This little guy wandered right underneath my stand and made eye contact with me at least five times, I figured he was a goner but he wandered over to the scrape. Got him at about 15 yards, threw the shot high (it's my first one, give me a break, that adrenaline rush is no joke) and tagged him right in the thoracic spine. He rolled over paralyzed and I put a second arrow into his neck to seal the deal. 3x4, not a trophy but I'm happy. He has been eating really well on my neighbor's farms, lots of fat. Also a heavy bitch to drag back to my garage.

Nice deer.

Got that freezer cleaned out?

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with that one for my first durr. The freezer is pretty full but I'll make room for this guy if I can poke him over the weekend. I really had no idea that my back yard had this much activity just beyond the treeline.

Click image for larger version Name:	Wire 2020-11-07 at 5 35 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	788.8 KB ID:	190783

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm pretty happy with that one for my first durr. The freezer is pretty full but I'll make room for this guy if I can poke him over the weekend. I really had no idea that my back yard had this much activity just beyond the treeline.

Looks like a nice sized deer. What part of the country? A big deer might be a 150 lbs here.

Looks like a nice sized deer. What part of the country? A big deer might be a 150 lbs here.

Sorta near the middle, north of the tejas state line anyway. These car seeking assholes grow big out here, dressed weights of over 200 pounds happen pretty regularly. I think that first one was over 150 whole but I don't have a scale for my hoist so I can't say for sure. My back sure was sore after dragging him.

Last edited:
The doe actually got up and lived to tell the tail. Lol was a split second reaction.. well maybe 5 seconds to where he jumped in but I got him distracted before he chewed on her neck. He was pissed. Was either me or him he was ready to pounce. I shot first.

Top Back Refresh