What's new

Hummer H3 Build

Don’t listen to him, He is just another alien moving through. If I was a guessing man I would bet he needed a :flipoff2:, may at the intersection of Blackcat and Columbia. Just guessing though.

I have no idea what you're saying, still to learn to speak Idahon.

Don’t listen to him, He is just another alien moving through. If I was a guessing man I would bet he needed a :flipoff2:, may at the intersection of Blackcat and Columbia. Just guessing though.
blackcat and columbia!?! I have driven through there many many times.

Ok time for another update, after all the maintenence, we went wheeling. I was excited about this trail, it is a tough one and had some tight spots. We only got through 2 or 3 obstacles before carnage hit and our day was over. The yellow toyota blew up his rear output.

wHucb1hl.jpg

TEMqZgvl.jpg

I didnt even get pics of the cool obstacles, that is just the drive to the gatekeeper.

Xua4179l.jpg

hPsy7wTl.jpg

Being the heavy rig I had to pull him out but it was a TOUGH one!

It took us a while to get off the actual trail and turn out on to the dirt roads. We will be back for this trail.

qU0fJK5l.jpg

After that it was time to install my new driveshaft, Toyota CV to a 1410 joint. I am happy to get rid of my driveline vibes!!!

c5pre7wl.jpg

UVBUNZml.jpg

25bsLu6l.jpg

Got the new yoke installed.

dvbUZhHl.jpg

and then this is where things spiral.....

So I had a suck down winch that was not very successful but I didnt want to give up on the idea so I had a new plan. I had to take off the bumper to mount the little suck down winch and figured my winch rope is old on my regular winch so let me replace it. When I took off my bumper I realized my VR12 winch was cracked at the housing!

So I replaced it with a Harbor Freight Apex 12k. I needed some ASAP, they had it in stock, and I heard good things about it. Even though the housing is cracked the VR12 does still work so I will repurpose it on the tow rig. If it breaks it isnt as critical on the tow rig compared to being out in the middle of nowhere with a broken winch.

I also have been very impressed with the quality of the new brands HF has come out with so why not try it.

Here is the suckdown winch and badlands winch mounted.

UTJp7drl.jpg

While in there I realized I cracked my frame plates. Maybe all those years as an anchor at backdoor was finally biting me in the ass.

I do chuckle as frame plates at the tow hooks were a big item back in the day on H3's because they crack and all these years later I FINALLY had an issue.

OoBiuiul.jpg

Lmnxz5Kl.jpg

Here is my fix

rCErXbKl.jpg

Welded the cracks back up and welded 4 little gussets per frame rail. 2 on top, 2 on the bottom.

So one suckdown winch install later I have a new winch and tow hook frame rail crack repair.

Here is the suckdown winch, now I need a crossmember to redirect it over the axle tube...That will go under the oil pan from one frame rail to another.

Suckdown winches are interesting, some people say they make up for "bad geometry" I call BS. Even professional we rock guys use them and they have great geometry, at the end of the day, gravity and physics win in my opinion. I have a ton of weight in the trunk too so this can help offset that some.

znWQMLEl.jpg

Here is a crappy pic of my universal currie anti rock

I still need to fabricate and modify the arms.

UPKmYJFl.jpg

Lastly, I had to adjust my pinion angle for my new driveshaft and I felt I had quite a bit of heim threads adjusted outward so I lengthened it. I wanted to build a new one but being out of tubing and tubing inserts the night before Idaho tuff truck challenge a sleeve had to do.

hzHWUINl.jpg

Now for Idaho Tuff Truck Challenge (ITTC) I will start off by saying I am not competitive at all. I have a heavy full bodied rig and a lot of these guys are in tube buggies. I am in the 38-43in tire class and am with some other full body rigs and some buggies/U4 cars. I went for fun and wanted to beat last years times.

I will start off with the entertainer's I am not one of them.

sPcyEqOl.jpg

YwXbVqcl.jpg

TSPUVVDl.jpg

WICjdzgl.jpg

That poor Jeep is on 44in tires, untrussed 1 ton axles and leaf springs. The leafs were bent but the fact that they didnt have a broken back and an axle housing still intact was amazing!!!

First up was the sled pull....

Rna9FzEl.jpg

I knocked 3 seconds off my time last year! I usually place decent on this event. I have power and weight. This event will usually level the playing field a little for the quick little buggies.

2nd is my worst performance, the short course. I want to jump the Hummer again, like I did back in the day but I am not there yet. I hope to be soon.

So here is my boring ass.

Rna9FzEl.jpg

Arh3plNl.jpg

I also shaved 3 seconds off this time as well!

Then the drag race. It doesnt matter who you go up against its just timed and ranked from 1st to 41st. (41 rigs participated)

Here is me next to a 900hp supercharged stroked LS Jake Burkey rock bouncer.

400 hp never felt so inadqueate in my life!

1qqItAfl.jpg

Finally, my favorite obstacle. The rock course.

KZjvKDtl.jpg

S461NuJl.jpg

LhoDw2sl.jpg

I know for a fact I have no binding in my upper link but I hit something pretty hard on the rock course and bent my upper link mount

kIFqclwl.jpg

I drive harder in these events then I ever do (and even then I am a wuss compared to most others) I already cut the bracket off and am adding a different one with a 10* angle in it. I had a 10* angle one on my first axle but when I did my dana 70 I was sent a straight one, while the link doesnt bind, it sends load to the right side of the bracket instead of dead on. I was building that D70 during a thrash for Ultimate Adventure and didnt have time to get the right one and install the 10* one. It worked for 4 years. Now I am forced to change it out. I will gusset it and with the 10* hopefully I never have to do this again. I am happy the welds held over the bracket bending!

Anyways, I gotta get that done because I am going to the hammers for a week next weekend.

All in all I had fun, I improved and was able to drive it home under it's own power!

I did have a trip planned between ITTC and the run where my buddy broke his toyota. The plan was fordyce, which was closed....so then we decided on sand hollow, which was also closed for a triathlon. So my buddies wanted to do hammers, but for a weekend trip, driving 12 hours one way and going back there in a month for a week I couldnt make it happen. Especially with something coming up from work but figured I would share the wrenching thrash to make that trip happen.

u2eDKHnl.jpg

My buddy who raced KOH 2021 broke his D44 2 days before the race and we had to build a new one. He was done with the D44 so he was building a super duty 60. The axle was under the rig but the gear shop installed the wrong inner axle seals to where he had to pound in the shafts, still needed some buttoning up on the outers, bumpstops, cycling the suspension, driveshaft, post KOH maintenence, etc.

His dad had his jeep down for a 14 bolt, a stretch and coilovers and wasnt finished.

Then a friend who was driving to their house blew up his 80 series t case because it had no oil. So we had to fix that.

In just a few days we went from 3 non running rigs to 3 running rigs. I sometimes think I can't thrash like I used to but that weekend proved we can still do it! We did a ton from transfer cases, to gears, to cycling suspension, fuel line plumbing, brake line plumbing, the list goes on. It was a fun thrash!

TvptO93l.jpg

So now I gotta finish my 3rd link, some maintenece stuff and get ready to leave in 1 week today!

blackcat and columbia!?! I have driven through there many many times.
I went out of the way to give you a big :flipoff2: and I may have yelled FUCK YOU!!! and something about Irate. I feel sad and a little hurt you didn't remember it. :lmao::flipoff2:

I went out of the way to give you a big :flipoff2: and I may have yelled FUCK YOU!!! and something about Irate. I feel sad and a little hurt you didn't remember it. :lmao::flipoff2:
HOLY SHIT!! That was you?!? I literally thought about that moment for a day and a half asking myself, who the fuck did I piss off? Or was that this guy Chris I know....you looked just like him but he’s always in Chevys.

Reactions: Dan
HOLY SHIT!! That was you?!? I literally thought about that moment for a day and a half asking myself, who the fuck did I piss off? Or was that this guy Chris I know....you looked just like him but he’s always in Chevys.
That was why you gave me that oh shit look. :laughing: If you weren’t KOHimg it with the head phones you might have heard me.

Inside my wife’s ride.
me: (acting like an idiot)
elderly dad: Did you know that guy?
me: Nope. I saw the rig on the internet. He’s from California.
elderly dad: Oh good, I’m not really in the fighting mood.

Anyway, I can say I met someone else from Irate. I saw 06h3 at a stop sign and flipped him off. :flipoff2:

That was why you gave me that oh shit look. :laughing: If you weren’t KOHimg it with the head phones you might have heard me.

Inside my wife’s ride.
me: (acting like an idiot)
elderly dad: Did you know that guy?
me: Nope. I saw the rig on the internet. He’s from California.
elderly dad: Oh good, I’m not really in the fighting mood.

Anyway, I can say I met someone else from Irate. I saw 06h3 at a stop sign and flipped him off. :flipoff2:
I had the headphones on because my mom or a friend (I don’t remember) called me and I can’t hear for shit with half doors on unless I use those. I just remember telling the person I was on the phone with I have no idea why this fuckin guy is flipping me off and yelling at me lol

I met two Irate guys in Idaho this year. You and CDA 455 II at harbor freight....He was one of the unmasked people in Hf so I should have known he was an irate guy!

Small world.

You guys wear masks down there? :flipoff2:
I’d say it depends....Nampa, Caldwell hell no. Meridian, it’s 70/30 no. The closer you get to Boise the more you see it. The Boise Mayor is a fucking bitch and wants more control over masks.

I sent that piece of shit an email politely asking her why she cancelled the Father’s Day car show but not the pride parade. She never responded. I don’t care if people want to have a parade for pride. No skin off my back...but when you start to pick and choose what events can and can not happen you can go burn in hell. I didn’t realize covid attacks fathers with classic cars but not a group of people in a pride parade.

She should go govern Seattle, Portland or San Fran. Those places are already ruined. Leave Idaho alone. These fucking cancer cells just spread and want to ruin every place imaginable.

Sorry for the off topic rant

I’d say it depends....Nampa, Caldwell hell no. Meridian, it’s 70/30 no. The closer you get to Boise the more you see it. The Boise Mayor is a fucking bitch and wants more control over masks.

I sent that piece of shit an email politely asking her why she cancelled the Father’s Day car show but not the pride parade. She never responded. I don’t care if people want to have a parade for pride. No skin off my back...but when you start to pick and choose what events can and can not happen you can go burn in hell. I didn’t realize covid attacks fathers with classic cars but not a group of people in a pride parade.

She should go govern Seattle, Portland or San Fran. Those places are already ruined. Leave Idaho alone. These fucking cancer cells just spread and want to ruin every place imaginable.

Sorry for the off topic rant
Your thread….and it sounds like you are a fan boy, I don’t say things nearly that nice about her. Even the republicans are importing trash for us to vote for. It’s like a game of, “You think you’re dumb, I’m dumb as fuck.”

Even the old mayor thought it was bad enough he could get back in. I started thinking he was the best option too. He went to jail for stealing from the city, :laughing:

if you know anyone in Boise proper, especially the south side, tell them to check out the city council. Boise had a brain fart and changed from at large council districts to defined, Two of the members are vacating their seats because they know they can’t get elected in their districts,

Your thread….and it sounds like you are a fan boy, I don’t say things nearly that nice about her. Even the republicans are importing trash for us to vote for. It’s like a game of, “You think you’re dumb, I’m dumb as fuck.”

Even the old mayor thought it was bad enough he could get back in. I started thinking he was the best option too. He went to jail for stealing from the city, :laughing:

if you know anyone in Boise proper, especially the south side, tell them to check out the city council. Boise had a brain fart and changed from at large council districts to defined, Two of the members are vacating their seats because they know they can’t get elected in their districts,
Thanks for the heads up.

I just want to live in an area where I’m left the fuck alone by the govt. The corruption is unreal. I have lived in NY and CA and seen them both get ruined.

I understand the growth rate is high here and I’m part of that problem for being an outsider but for fucks sake, we need responsible growth, not a fucking townhome going up in every direction. I went to some meridian city planning meetings and it’s like they just say yes to everything. They are probably paid by the developers.

Thanks for the heads up.

I just want to live in an area where I’m left the fuck alone by the govt. The corruption is unreal. I have lived in NY and CA and seen them both get ruined.

I understand the growth rate is high here and I’m part of that problem for being an outsider but for fucks sake, we need responsible growth, not a fucking townhome going up in every direction. I went to some meridian city planning meetings and it’s like they just say yes to everything. They are probably paid by the developers.

Because this is a new thing here (ID)

CA, this was going on in the 70s-00s.

You want hands off government, unrestricted housing development is part of that. Not that I like it either, but I'm not one to cherry pick certain freedoms.

I'm just hoping we get some hard ass winters to drive some of the soft ones away :laughing:

Thanks for the heads up.

Meridian is 98% imports. It’s been the hotspot for mini California for almost 30 years.

oh and yes, we have the best politicians money can buy. That’s not new or imported.

A friend is talking about trying to oust his state rep. I never thought he would come around but is now sickened by the lack of care for the state and it’s just about squeezing another dollar, Otter took it to a new level.

Jim Risch‘s ranch he used to brag about. He and Barton got some quick and dirty deal though to develop the surrounding desert After Otters plan for a Chinese labor camp went sour. I’m not sure what happened to that deal but the development is moving really slow, I’m in The area and really happy for that.

Look at McGeachin. She was transplanted here by them. She’s trying to make the state pay for her legal fees she incurred trying to defend herself on the campaign finance charges.

My mom told me today she started prepping for war. I did lolrz. I just had this thought of a little old lady running around with an AR screamino, “I’m going to kill you mother fuckers!”

Anyway no more of that shit, I’ve derailed your thread enough, I’m glad you are liking the trails. I noticed several are new to me and that’s cool. I’ll have to catch up with you and get the rundown.

Because this is a new thing here (ID)

CA, this was going on in the 70s-00s.

You want hands off government, unrestricted housing development is part of that. Not that I like it either, but I'm not one to cherry pick certain freedoms.

I'm just hoping we get some hard ass winters to drive some of the soft ones away :laughing:
I get that but we’re subsidizing the developers to encourage the growth. That’s welfare.

All good points made. Subsidies are BS, development for favors are BS. It’s all fuckin BS and it seems we can’t escape it no matter where you go nowadays.

Let me know when you wanna meet up to either bullshit or hit the trails.

I’ll make a Hummer related post here soon. Got the new 3rd link in and planning my suckdown winch

Ok, So here is a absolute garbage pic of my suckdown winch options....

LQlbgOJl.jpg

I will use this pic for reference.

w34sSxbl.jpg

I will also reference this link

So I originally did a 2500 lb winch on the passenger side of the frame rail, it then went down to a pulley on the center of the axle tube, then it went to a hook welded to the driver side frame rail....Just like you see in the link. I basically copied that idea.

The problem was that I kept breaking the synthetic winch rope or the winch itself. It was a cheap little 2500 lb HF Badlands winch.

So I should go to a 3500 lb winch....the problem is that it wouldnt fit. I did notice HF make another 2500 lb winch which is higher quality and a 3500 lb winch which is also higher quality (the new style ZXR winches)

So I cant fit a bigger or higher quality winch on the frame rail. That is why I now have the winch in between the bumper. It is a 3500 lb winch with 3/8 syntethic line instead of the little 3/16 ATV synthetic winch line.

Now for routing....Option 1 in the pic is basically the winch rope running over a tube between the radiator hose and the crank (see picture to see radiator hose and general area) that line then goes down to the axle tube mount. This is the traditional way for a suckdown. My only fear is that the spread between the suckdown pivot point to go to the axle is 10in further forward then the axle centerline. I might be able to make that 7in if I weld a hook off the front of the axle tube. So is 7-10in going to cause stress by "pulling" the axle forward?

Option 2 is like the original idea when I had it on the pass side frame rail. It will come out of the bumper (like you see in the pic) then go to the driver side frame rail, pivot off the frame rail down to the center of the axle tube and then back up to a hook on the pass side frame rail (kind of like the link posted above but with the winch in a different direction)

I like option 1 because it is more of a direct pull IF pulling forward isnt a big deal. I like and do not like adding a crossmember tube. The crossmember tube will add strength to the frame rail but its in a tight spot which sucks for doing maintenence.

I like option 2 because its defintely easier, but I worry about the frame stress, I worry about it effecting flex of suspension becuse it isnt a pull from top down. I also like and figure that it probably cuts the load in half on winch rope and possibly the winch as well.

Hopefully this 3500 lb winch works out much better.

Just got back from a week at the hammers. I’ll post a recap soon. Had some carnage and time for some upgrades

All I know is the video you posted to IG with you ripping across the lakebed looked awesome. The 43s make the truck look tiny!

Ok, so I am back from my Hammers trip. What a week!

It was carnage filled unforunately but that is part of the game. I also had a few firsts on carnage.

The past 3-4 years I feel most times out at the hammers I dont get to wheel much and do a ton of wrenching on rigs. This trip I was going with two guys who have dialed rigs and figured we would knock out trails, and this time I was the broken guy. In terms of issues, I haven't broken a locker in over 5 years....this trip that happened.

I have never broken a main leaf, that happened. I have never ever broken a link bracket off the frame, that happened. I have never exploded a johnny joint, that happened. Lots of firsts....but, I am now going to build my rig even better then before.

Day 1:We ran Sunbonnet, Highway 19, Highway 20 and Resolution. No carnage. Just a flat out awesome day.

The first obstacle on the left on Sunbonnet I was told was a tough one and a few struggled in the past to get it but I walked it with ease, and so did everyone else. It must have gotten easier, or we took a new line that just worked. I then took a few other optional lines and made them. I was stoked on how the Hummer was working!

There are plenty of tight spots on these trails and I have said it a million times but I will say it again. Without the cage work, I would have a raisin. Instead it just slides on the tubes.

pM50kmdl.jpg

dwaqeX3l.jpg

x0iww2cl.jpg

8B8SBIcl.jpg

A crazy windstorm blew through. We couldn't see for shit. It is crazy how the went from beautifiul, to crazy wind, to rain, to hail and then back to windy and eventually nice again a day later.

IJlekQzl.jpg

We went back to the house, which I have never rented a house at the hammers but man is it much nicer then tent camping! It is nicer then RV camping just for the fact that you have a concrete pad to work on stuff.

Day 2: The day from hell, Outer limits. I have attempted to run Outer Limits 4-5 times and each time someone broke and we turned around.

This time we got through but not without issue.

We took a way to Outer Limits I have not gone before so that was cool. It was the way through Emerson dry lake bed. It was so smooth and flat you could drive however fast you wanted! It was so much fun.

Wej7ItLl.jpg

Xrcc1vpl.jpg

Got to see an old mine.

8qndLukl.jpg

and before you know it, we are on outer limits with carnage.

Day 2 Continued:
ZomfA9kl.jpg

About hafl way up the trail the white 80 series has an issue, his rear 4 link was failing. So we pull out his battery powered mig flux welder and get to fixing it. It took a couple hours. Before moving again the gold jeep realizes his upper 4 link heims are backing out. They backed out enough to waste teh threads so we welded that too. At this point the battery powered welder is dead so we run it off my premier power welder 110 outlet. That was a life saver.

After we fix those 2 rigs I check under my rig and notice my 3 link bracket on the frame side is cracking.

6m1792yl.jpg
\

In red is where the crack started, I was shocked it was cracking 1/4 plate in the middle of the bracket, not even close to any welding surface on the bracket. Then it starting peeling off the frame where the blue circle is.

So we welded it back up and kept moving.

In the end, like a dumbass, we realize the main issue is lack of axle side seperation causing a ton of stress on the frame. I just re welded the bracket on the axle ( bent it in a previous post) and I put it angled further back then last time, when angled and drooping out it basically kills seperation and puts load on the frame.

enAPhjpl.jpg

But we continue....

WYsyU3Ml.jpg

A ways up the trail I end losing my 3rd link bracket again, this time pushing up and peeling off the frame. So we stop and basically have to weld as much reinforcement on the bracket as possible. We added about 6 pieces of steel to reinforce it. It took hours and we got back to the house after midnight.

Day 3: We started day 3 slow since it was such a long day/night on the trail. We decide to go run Wrecking ball. It was fun and I had no issues on it until the waterfall. I have never been able to get up the waterfall without a winch. I was walking up it! No backing up, nothing, a true one shot but my tire was wedged behind a huge boulder. Instead of being smart and backing up I just continued forward. Since my rear axle is strong and surprisingly my welds from my first welding project (the spring over) all held and my main leaf broke!!!

nKUbycrl.jpg

First order was to get the anti wrap bar back in place and reattach the driveshaft.

1DsJdpgl.jpg

Then reverse winch the axle back in place.

7nM0DQFl.jpg

Then back to welding....

JkPElNzl.jpg

Gotta love flux core fixes....but it held and we got back to the house by 10pm.

Day 4:
It started with replacing my main leaf as I had a spare.

9rDNziRl.jpg

Good as new....

aVsL2oSl.jpg

Other then being an idiot driver, how could I be mad, that leaf came on the H3 from the factory in 2005.

Day 4 continued....

So we ran spooners canyon with no issue and then headed over to Sledge. Sledge is fucked and has been for about a year and a half. So I go first and hit the plaque, no issues up to the plaque and last time I made the plaque but this time I couldnt get it. So I winched up but being so bound even when winching I wrecked my flex joint.

dhpCBVbl.jpg

I rebuilt these 2 months ago and they were tight but I was so bound it bent the threaded adjuster and ripped it out of the joint and ruined the poly bushing. Something had to give....so I backed out and the group continued on sledge, I drove back down the trail.

Even then, hi lifting while winching was needed and after the plaque line was just as fucked. Sledge is just a mess right now.

QtHBGy2l.jpg

gk8IDpcl.jpg

So Day 5: The Hummer is down and hurt, we swap out a flex joint for a barnes enduro joint that is used but still very tight. We load up the suspension at the house and it is flexing the pretty fresh joint.

Between that, recracking on the bracket and a locker that started giving me issues I threw in the towel on day 5 and rode passenger on some of the easier trails and part of SOS.

Day 6: we hit the road and head home. I got home around 1am sunday Morning.

So now what?

It is time to rebuild! I learned a lot. A few things.

Gone are the days of Johnny Joints. I am not even trying ruffstuff or barnes heims. I am going with FK race car heims used in Trophy trucks and Ultra 4 cars. I run 9/16th bolts on the johnny joints, they are gone too. I am going 5/8 bolts.

Locker, I am pist about that, I have been beating on that Eaton 4 pin locker for 4 years with no issue but it broke before a stock D60 35 spline shaft did?! Wtf? I am pulling it out looking for parts and will give it one more try. If not ARB or Grizzly locker.

3 link. I have less seperation then I ever have before due to a mis step on my part. At the minimum I need to cut the bracket off and get the same seperation as I used to have but really I need to do more. So I will aim for more seperation due to the bigger tires.

The leaf is fixed and that was just dumb ass driving. I think long term is linking the rear. Short term is nothing, just dont be stupid. I may look for some military wrap springs.

They say life is a breeze on 43's and it is. When working the Hummer kicked ass! It walked things it struggled on but 43's do the opposite of making life a breeze for suspension and drivetrain components. My setup with 40's was dialed and bomb proof but I had to do 43's so let the upgrades begin. I will be pulling it all apart soon to get this ball rolling.

Imo, most of those failures are fatigue. I think you are feeling the results of years of wheelin more than just the extra stress of the bigger tires. I'm sure it's both, but I'd bet you'd be having the same things happen if you still had 40s.

The upper link bracket issues have me a little worried as I have almost the exact same frame and axle bracket on my build. I'll have to check separation numbers.

So what exactly happened with the locker? In your elocker thread I was under the impression that it went boom. Not that it was just having some issues.

Here is the locker popping. I went on and wheeled it the day after and it worked. It would pop occasionally but nothing like that ever again.

Under extreme load and being bound it did what was in the pic.

You can also see the Main leaf letting go in the driver rear as I pop up the obstacle.

Top Back Refresh