What's new

Hummer H3 Build

I think you'd be happy with the H2s to rock the 40s as a second set of tires. Have you had problems unseating beads often (besides UA2017)? I've been pretty fortunate at 10psi to only have lost one bead on my H2s and it was in a nasty mud hole, presumably with a root ball pushing into the sidewall while the tire spun.

Do you have pictures handy of your axle brackets? You'd be surprised what types of forces brake calipers impart under loads and if it's a huge offset, you may need a beefier bracket than you think. Consider the 2001 14b brake caliper bracket is cast nearly 3/4" thick at the point where it connects to the axle tube for a point of reference and it doesn't even have that much offset.

I pulled the tire off the bead 3-4 times but id run 12 or so to be careful.

Let me see if I can dig up an old picture of the brake brackets, maybe I weld triangle gussets on it off the tube. I think some guys have made adapter plates to slap a whole late model 14 bolt backing plate onto their axle too.

I have a drawing for that adapter plate if you want it. A couple guys I know have adapted these brakes over to various axles. My email is my username plus "@gmail.com".

I'd recommend getting pictures of the broken flange/bracket AND if you can find one of what they looked like new so we can compare.

The trimming continues, the rear isnt that bad. It will work and stuff 43s without issue, I will have to trim one tiny tiny section of tube but its basically good to go.

The front is a different story. First I pulled the springs off the coilovers and let the truck sit on the air bumps fully stuffed, after moving the axle forward about an inch, cutting the sliders as far back as possible (right back to the A pillar portion of the cage) and doing some bumper and fender trimming they fit in just under full lock with both sides fully stuffed. I think I would only ever be at this point doing go fast stuff and bottoming out the suspension head on at the same rate.

oViGpsLl.jpg

Bzt61dKl.jpg

Trimming the front of the body a little bit.

tuDq6Jzl.jpg

So when I say I can almost go to full lock what is preventing me is the slider/a pillar, I can go further forward but I need to remove a good portion of the bumper which is where I have my questions.

The bumper is attached in 4 spots, all 4 are OEM, there are 2 bolts behind the bumper tow hook that go directly to the framerail. the other 2 are off the body mount offset outside of the framerails and behind the bumper...

QdoEmotl.jpg

You can see I have had to patch up the mount before, I think there is a "prying effect" on the bumper I think having it there is important but if it isnt, I can cut up the bumper, push the axle forward a bit more and solve the full lock issue.

L8hNyXLl.jpg

After I got full bump resolved I found access to a forklift.

oIexADIl.jpg

uYLG4rAl.jpg

The issues are amplified greatly when the tire comes in at an angle. At full bump like this the tire is full blown into the plastic fender, I can trim those, it also gets into the metal inner fender, it seems that they can just spin off of them because they are smooth but turning creates an issue at full bump flexed out like this....so back to the drawing board. End goal is keep the same up travel and ride height.

Would 1in spacers help get the space for inner metal fenders and turning radius or hurt? It will make the fender cutting greater but thats fine, its just plastic.

Here is a shot of the inner fenders from some kid who thought this was a good idea.

GJHXT29l.jpg

ol0EVMrl.jpg

It's probably worth getting the spacers and trying them out (or stacking washers and redoing the forklift test). The scrub radius on the tires will be larger, obviously getting into the fender a little more like you mentioned - but it will also put more strain on the steering, as a result. It's more leverage if you think about it - you'll probably have a lot harder time turning when the front is locked. 1" isn't a crazy amount though, so it's definitely worth trying.

Do you have a picture of where it's rubbing on the inner fender when flexed and turned? I wonder how much of the inner fenders you can trim without getting into critical mounting points on the inside of them.

An update: Went wheeling the weekend before Thanksgiving. I had the front fenders off to make sure I can clear everything from a metal standpoint. At full stuff on one side and full droop on the other and full lock I still rub a tad but it appears to clear 98% of the time and if I rub, I let off of full lock a tad and it stops rubbing. If I go forward anymore I will need to redo the entire front bumper and remove the turn signal assembly. I ended up moving the A pillar back a tad, I cut more into the slider and trimmed the inner fender a decent amount to get it to all fit. I think I will leave it the way it is for now and see if I can live with the backing off a tad at full lock and full stuff, it only happens in a very specific set of circumstances, if it irritates me I will then figure out how to work the bumper, and turn signals and grille but for now I think I will mount the fenders back on and trim those.

kva9PLol.jpg

6USg97Ol.jpg

NP2VByKl.jpg

Good day on the trail, no carnage which was welcomed! New brake caliper bracket held and no broken parts. The big balloon tires make big rocks feel smaller!!

it was about a 55 mile round trip on pavement, the tires are loud but that's ok. :grinpimp:

I used my suckdown winch and broke the line again. The suckdown winch really does make a difference so I need to figure out how to make it work, I currently have a 2500 lb winch on one frame rail, that goes down to a pulley on the axle and up to the other frame rail. I think I need to run a pulley off the frame rail and run the line back to the winch framerail to cut the load in half.

XtK8Eixl.jpg

This crew cab Chevy was the most insane rig I have ever seen, he came up from Northern CA to visit a friend and we all went wheeling. It takes punishment like a champion and is so fucking nimble its unbelievable. You would think, hmmm....146in Wheelbase, 43s (big but that rig makes em look small) and 8k lbs....on paper people would think it would suck! BUT It isn't, its got steering 14 bolts front and rear with RCV's a full flat belly and GIANT boatsides...6.0 LS, SM465, 208/205 doubler. He knew how to work the rear steer like a champ, he got the thing so bound up you just watch him give it more and more throttle and it isnt moving, you expect it to break something but eventually it pops up and over the obstacle. He took obstacles that were so narrow and tight I thought a small TJ/CJ/YJ would struggle to get in the spot and there was no way I could get in the spots he was in but he managed to do it with the rear steer! Coolest thing ever, I love underdog rigs and now I want rear steer lol

After I got home my brother arrived from CA for Thanksgiving week and got started on his Jeep. I was happy he drove his 1 ton JK on 40s 570 miles with no issues.

I cut off the factory coil spring buckets and shock mounts and burned in some Tribe16 coilover mounts and made air bump mounts.

2h6kj5Gl.jpg

Ideally he needs a 90 fitting on the resi so I can mount them up and out of the way but this will do for now.

37as6fOl.jpg

During the coilover tear down this happened. 4 stitches, I contemplated super glue but where it was at I wasn't sure it would heal.

k9BHQO4l.jpg

After the stitches work had to continue so nothing like a little painters tape to keep it clean.

etuPsz0l.jpg

and some half worn 40s vs new 43's.

8wgQ6Stl.jpg

My brother drove the JK back to CA and said it rides great! Next time I see the Jeep with be at KOH. Which means I need to do some maintenance to the Hummer and get the F550 engine out and the new one in.

It looks really mean. I'm sure the bigger size helps, but those tires seem to work really well on my buddy's rig with 38s, so I'm guessing the compound and tread pattern also help! Looks good man!

I don't recall. I think he was around 12, but he doesn't have beadlocks so he's worried about losing a bead going any lower.

Just got back from KOH yesterday, I will update soon! Just getting caught up with work and the non wheeling aspect of life.

Ok, story time! KOH was a blast as usual and it had some unforeseen issues as always lol

It was my first trip with the new to me truck and we rented a trailer to sleep in....It was nice to have shelter on the lake bed for the first time ever! I will never go back lol. I love camping but KOH camping is usually miserable. To be honest, if there was one year to camp, this was the year to do it. It is the nicest weather I have ever remembered.

Here was out setup.

N1Rg0Egl.jpg

cyuivSxl.jpg

7XmXtRol.jpg

We hope to purchase a trailer in the future for trips like this.

We arrived Friday night and on Saturday we just wheeled Chocolate, so not much wheeling, we were helping everyone get camp setup and people were arriving throughout the day.

I have gotten so bad at taking pictures, he is a picture of me on Chocolate.

AjzxgqCl.jpg

Sunday, we ran turkeyclaw and Blueberry, we spent a good chunk of the day getting my buddy's car ready for tech for the EMC race, he was in the 4500 class.

Sunday evening we went back to Chocolate and I helped recover a toyota with a broken output shaft from his trans. I pulled the dead weight up the top of chocolate and to the sand hill. As we hit the sand hill I pop a front 1350 u joint. I wasn't too mad, that u joint was 6 years old and I even thought about replacing it before this trip....I had a spare driveshaft and a single spare u joint. I just swapped the u joint when we got back to camp.

To get out I backed all the way up to the rocks in 2wd double low and banged through every gear into overdrive carrying speed to the sandhill. It is bad enough that I have seen guys in 4wd not make it up, but with the 43in Mickey "paddles" and a 6.2L she cruised on up, I was told I hit on rock on the sand hill and caused me to lift my front tire and carry it in the air for 6 feet or so. I really need to get better about pics and videos and that was a moment I wish I caught.

Monday, I left the lakebed. My buddy's 4500 car bent and tweaked the front housing, cracked the truss, rosette welds and completely ruined the diff. I took my truck and UA trailer back to his house. They tracked down a G2 housing and got to work. I didn't get back to the lakebed until Tuesday early evening.

We had our share of issues getting the new axle to work. My buddy was running a JK44 under there and 30 spline shafts, the G2 44 housing was built around 35 spline shafts. We were SOL on getting that axle to seal up but with some time and research I found that a 1972 Ford Bronco SMALL bearing rear 9 in axle seal MIGHT work. That ID of the small bearing housing and the ID of the G2 housing were the same, the shafts were 31 spline vs 30 so we ran 2 seals per side and had speedi sleeves on hand to bring up the OD of the shaft. We didnt use the speedi sleeve but could have solved any potential seal issues.

I was impressed with the G2 housing, I thought it would be garbage but it isnt, it has side adjusters, big bearing caps, bigger tubes, its a nice housing. My job was to do gears and seal issues along with axle removal and teardown.

eeuBpmLl.jpg

XS7IKSjl.jpg

Trying my best with the time crunch....

Wednesday was prerunning. We pre ran the desert section from Cougar Buttes back to hammertown. The course was much rougher in the desert then 2019 when I preran. It was much more choppy. My front 2.5 coilovers did great but my rear cheapo bilsteins got wrecked, I have never seen them get so destroyed before. They were billowing white smoke and lost all the oil. I will get back to that later. After prerunning we went back to camp and watched the shenanigans at backdoor and chocolate. I ran up chocolate again but with 5 of us in the car, and 5 in my buddy's 80 series cruiser. We were having fun and laughing as we had a big group watching all these people crammed in there. The hummer used to get so much crap from hecklers but no one gives me shit anymore. A toyota behind me rolled on the line I made and I turned around to roll him back on his side.

Ky8rKmDl.jpg

Thursday

We helped fix a UTV that bent a crossmember into his driveshaft, after all other methods were attempted with no success we rolled it over and winched it back. Worked out perfect.

datqIM2l.jpg

After that was fixed we ran over to watch our buddy do some minor shock tuning, unfortunately the legit shock tuning with tearing down shocks wasn't going to happen with time lost from the axle housing ordeal so they did external bypass tuning.

After that we had to go "sweep" the course for the UTV race to make sure the racers were all accounted for. We ran down spooners and then up outer limits. We got 1/4 way through when we got the call everyone was accounted for. It sucked! I wanted to finish outer limits so bad, I have run the first portion countless times but always turned around due to someone breaking. My buddy I was with wanted to turn around because we had a long day tomorrow with our other buddy racing. So we went back to camp.

Friday

Race day, our buddy had some fuel and electrical issues early in the day but other then that he ended up finishing the course!!! He didnt get an actual finish because he timed out but he did in fact finish! Now he just needs to get faster! lol

Setup at the main pit....

0S058nhl.jpg

Qm54uPul.jpg

Saturday we just sat back and watched the race, then packed up and drove to Santa Clarita CA to drop off the rented trailer, stay at the in-laws house and sunday AM we took off back to Idaho!

All in all it was fun as always, as for changes on the hummer I was very happy with it. I need to really figure out a shock setup for the rear. I am still running stock leafs sprung over and just regular ole shocks. I cant take advantage of the badass 2.5 fox coilovers up front until I do something in the rear. My options are 3 link it and do a coilover or keep the leafs and do a quality 2.5 shock (basically what I have up front, minus the coilover) or a bypass out back but I don't think I have enough up travel (4in) for bypasses.

I also need to go through my driveshafts, I had one u joint failure, which isnt a big deal but I have cut, lengenthed, changed yokes, etc. numerous times on both front and rear shafts for all the changes in the 6+ years, at this point most of the splines are hammered, some u joints are old....I just need to get a fresh set and keep these as spares.

Time for an update: I went on a rock run before going to Moab. This was a local run and it was a blast, I drove the Hummer about 70 miles one way, wheeled it, and brought it home in one piece.

Last year on the first obstacle I walked it, this year, it went a little bit worse. You want your rear tire to pivot around the rock and this year my tire just kept climbing up the rock.

NCvXYMWl.jpg

6GQDB29l.jpg

WxHf7kPl.jpg

Anyway I went, forward, back, passenger, driver, it would just tip me over even more so I had a winch hold me from going over and drove out of it.

CY8fW8Nl.jpg

I wasn't the only casualty of the day though!

Some other random pics of the day, we ran a trail that kicked my ass last year and this year I kicked it's ass! Unfortunately the trail I had no issues on last year had me almost roll over (first pics)

2lZdZ8Bl.jpg

WTwNSEdl.jpg

The new trail chassis from busted knuckle

zvxiyfxl.jpg

2tjk63wl.jpg

I should have brought my half doors....last virgin full door isnt pretty anymore

k7rNJT5l.jpg

I also saw a unique rear suspension, it probably isnt unique but I am still amazed how it works with no track bar.

ZJwFUHbl.jpg

TSmTOskl.jpg

Before Moab I upgraded to a 1410 yoke up front, I started an engine/trans skid, I have been without one since the SAS and at some point it will screw me (already almost has a few times) I didn't get it done in time but I started it.

6SQZzefl.jpg

9E2zGyal.jpg

I made one of the front legs for it, just have one more to do up front.

and off to Moab we go.

1FTvNjvl.jpg

Going to Moab and seeing people I haven't seen in a while and meeting the new people was a blast, I wont recap it all since there is a thread on it but we ran Metal Masher, Kane Creek, behind the rocks, Hells, Fin's and things, and potato salad.

Day 1 was a wake up call, seeing a 4 wheel steer red dot buggy attempt an obstacle on metal masher and backing out of it and then my dumbass trying to attempt it was pure stupidity, I had a tire in a hole that made my 43 look small, 3 tires were spinning, that right rear was bound and not spinning and eventually popped.

oegUDsml.jpg

It was a damn clean break. Its an HO72 shaft from the 1950's. It was a well deserved break and I dont think a upgraded shaft would have saved it but who knows...

The heat treating is deep and from what I am told, deeper then the shafts of today. I have broke 1 on 43s, and twisted 2 on 40s. I can run 14 bolt shafts, upgrade to 300M, chromo, or Hytuff or leave the stock replacements I put in. I am unsure what route to go. Some say the older shafts are more forgiving with twisting. I am not expecting an upgrade to fix this particular situation but since I have twisted 2 on 40s in the past I am curious how other shafts would react.

I will end this with saying full float life is awesome as its a quick and easy fix that doesn't even require the tire to come off.

pcAy1MKl.jpg

0XKiVzLl.jpg

IVmM50dl.jpg

Squeaky's first time with other SAS H3's!!!! We need more of them and I think with the performance shown compared to stock we will see more in the future.

the whole group.

oEJEFldl.jpg

On behind the rocks.

N59KuhIl.jpg

tuZiEYBl.jpg

d16CINcl.jpg

Where's the other thread on the recap? :flipoff2:

As for the rear shafts, if a 14b shaft will swap in - I'd at least try that route since it would be cheap (junkyard) to try. Then you can determine if the 14b shafts are better or worse for your application and use (regardless of heat treatment or whatever). Do you know what year shafts transfer over to the HO72? I wonder if the transition to AAM manufacturing helps or hurts, also remember they redesigned the housing in 88 - so perhaps the shafts are different too?

If you're going to go the custom route, I'd probably spend the money on fully splined shafts or even consider 40spl (Branik or similar).

I've not yet broken a 2001+ 14b shaft for the record and I've been pretty hard on my rear (remembering my rig weighs half a ton more than yours at least), despite still being 'stuck' on 40" tires.

I had an invite for the following weekend for a snow run, the hummer needed some maintenance (upper link heims) and rear axle shaft leaks (was just dirt from swapping shafts on the trail) I could have probably brought it but my brothers JK just got up to Idaho and is being stored at my parents house since he doesnt have as much space at his new place. It hasnt been offroad since summer of 2019 and its a shame since its on 1 tons and 40s so I brought it out for the snow run.

3CzvFAvl.jpg

lZzHpMhl.jpg

QwLS7oml.jpg

2LZhT5Ml.jpg

ryqFTKXl.jpg

The snow is still 4-5 feet is many spots but it is melting quickly. The weather was perfect! It was a perfect day!

Saw a brand new rzr with an exploded clutch.

1DVRPXul.jpg

n3ze93fl.jpg

At our lunch spot I got to climb this cool rock too, everyone thought I was nuts...

Sf7AMvol.jpg

So what's next? This weekend I will wrap up some maintenance on the Hummer and my youngest sister is very interested in wheeling so since my brothers JK is sitting around...I plan to take her out and teach her how to rock crawl. I would have preferred she learn on a stock rig so she doesn't rely on the tools of lockers, 40s, big flex, etc. but it will be fun to teach her.

Other then that I want to add a sway bar to the front of the hummer, redesign my suck down winch, fix my AC, finish the engine skid and my next big non local trip is fordyce this summer.

As for the rear shafts, if a 14b shaft will swap in - I'd at least try that route since it would be cheap (junkyard) to try. Then you can determine if the 14b shafts are better or worse for your application and use (regardless of heat treatment or whatever). Do you know what year shafts transfer over to the HO72? I wonder if the transition to AAM manufacturing helps or hurts, also remember they redesigned the housing in 88 - so perhaps the shafts are different too?

If you're going to go the custom route, I'd probably spend the money on fully splined shafts or even consider 40spl (Branik or similar).

I've not yet broken a 2001+ 14b shaft for the record and I've been pretty hard on my rear (remembering my rig weighs half a ton more than yours at least), despite still being 'stuck' on 40" tires.
on the Hummer forum and I just copy and paste my posts to both builds. I will have to link it over here or make a special post for irate. :flipoff2:

I want to avoid 40 spline due to whats required, new spindles are needed and it just adds a ton of cost and headache. I will probably spend way more money before going to that route (like breaking double splined 300M stuff)

I would have to go back and check but its based on length, I have a set of 14 b shafts that fit the HO72 already, I just need to buy a locker for it since they are different spline count (same overall diameter though) I would say I pulled the shafts out of a pre 90s truck for sure when I got the 14b shafts 5-6 years ago.

DMANbluesfreak 17 spline (more coarser then even a 14 bolt) lol I dont have issues twisting the splines per say, I twisted the whole shaft last time!

mD3Njral.jpg

lK9Oib3l.jpg

Shaft diameter is the same, lengths are the same (depending on 14b model) main difference is the splines...some guys throw a 14b locker in their HO72 for shaft availability, I have 4 sets of shafts so I just run the old 17 spline detroit with it.

I have read both arguments, 14b shafts are stronger, and others say HO72 shafts are stronger due to "good ole american steel when manufacturers actually cared"

I'm sure the steel quality was better, but as an engineer, I'd be surprised if the technology and heat treatment used on the 14b shafts was better enough to make up the difference in raw steel quality. Hard to say. The best way to determine if one is stronger than the other is to do a calibrated torque test - but not everyone can do that at home lol.

I was really only asking for the spline quantity for my own interest. I remember you "jumproping" one of the shafts on UA. Was your most recent break right at the splines?

I'm sure the steel quality was better, but as an engineer, I'd be surprised if the technology and heat treatment used on the 14b shafts was better enough to make up the difference in raw steel quality. Hard to say. The best way to determine if one is stronger than the other is to do a calibrated torque test - but not everyone can do that at home lol.

I was really only asking for the spline quantity for my own interest. I remember you "jumproping" one of the shafts on UA. Was your most recent break right at the splines?
The most recent one broke at the end of the housing, 3in or so off the flange.

Gotcha, yep it is 17 monster splines.

What exactly makes the H3 gay? Aside from the IFS from the factory, it's a pretty sweet little rig - poorly marketed by GM. It wasn't much different than the new Bronco everyone is clamoring over.

The most recent one broke at the end of the housing, 3in or so off the flange.

Gotcha, yep it is 17 monster splines.
Gotcha! Such a strange break for the middle of the shaft. I'd have expected near the splines or right at the weld of the flange. Usually when shafts break in the middle they're at more of a shear angle (45ish degrees) and have some splintering.

where are the Moab Photos???

Start here...Sorry the link is to page 2 not 1....Then you can go down the rabbit hole of links that people posted from dropbox, smugmug, youtube, etc.

So after the snow wheeling weekend mid April we decided to hit the trails on the first weekend of May. This time I would be taking my 19 year old sister who will be driving my brothers 1 ton JK on 40s. She has always been interested in wheeling but doesnt have a rig....now that my brothers JK is sitting up here with no one to drive it she decided to give wheeling a shot.

We ran an easy trail that has fun offshot obsctacles and its a good place for you to learn, perfect for a newbie.

She started off great. A little throttle happy but had a great start to the day.

This was a first, the Hummer has always been pretty reliable when it comes to starting. I turn the key and it starts, for the first time I had a no start issue that was out of the blue and random. It wouldnt crank, sure enough the ground on the starter broke off. Thinking back I may have hit the starter wire with some tube when mocking up my engine skid. Either way, after 20 min of diagnosing, we tracked it down to a starter ground, got it fixed and kept moving...

GCsxkLZl.jpg

1Qwdp32l.jpg

We then got to some steep optional climbs and the front end was very light, I really need to redo my suck down winch.

q4HsTRel.jpg

I was able to get it with the assistance of a winch. I placed the cable on a rig up top and just took the slack out of it....with that little bit of tension I got up. I wonder if I had ditched the spare that could have been the difference in making it or not.

I wasnt comfortable with my sister trying it but with 4 more inches of wheelbase I thought the JK could get it, it was actually worse, those extra 4in had the back tires in a hole and made it worse with multiple line attempts.

PclK6AEl.jpg

ev5fWYRl.jpg

My buddy Jason with his K30 on factory 1-tons and 40s

f6NB0t9l.jpg

My sister was doing well so we finished off the day on some tougher stuff.

0nknoXRl.jpg

Overall it was a great day....

I was bored one day and figured I havent clay bared or waxed the Hummer in a long time. It needed some freshening up.

Crappy pic as it doesnt show the true shine.

H3cFRREl.jpg

then did the JK

JgfvXr4l.jpg

Top Back Refresh